• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

Fjordson

Very excited to play another Syberia. And I'm definitely checking out that Primordia pre-order tonight. It also comes with the soundtrack and some other nice bonuses.

I don't know, I love all of these new adventure games but very few of them are written well enough to compare to the old games. I blame this mostly on localization issues since a lot of the new stuff is coming from Germany.

Newish games I've played with decent writing: The Ben and Dan series, most Wadjet Eye releases, Grey Matter, The Dream Machine. I haven't played Cognition or The Journey Down yet!
The Journey Down is soo good. It pains me that the second episode isn't out yet.

I've enjoyed a lot of writing in recent adventure games, but I get what you mean. There were some pretty special creators in America back then. Whereas now, it seems a lot of stuff is coming from Europe.

I think there are still lots of good stories and characters to be had in recent games, but for me the humour isn't always spot on like the classic games from the 90's. It's rare that I run into something that's genuinely funny. Though it's probably something that gets slightly marred by localization in some cases like you said.

Saty

The Cognition Ep 1 demo should be enough to convince anyone. It's probably one of the best P&C in recent years.
Secret Files 3 however was a major disappointment.

Midou

I liked first Secret Files game until the last hour or so, when it was just facepalm worthy. Only played like an hour of the second.

Alright, currently nearing the end of the first Broken Sword game, i really enjoyed it so far :)

Is the second one worth playing at all? I never hear it getting mentioned when people talk about great older adventure games...

Midou

Alright, currently nearing the end of the first Broken Sword game, i really enjoyed it so far :)

Is the second one worth playing at all? I never hear it getting mentioned when people talk about great older adventure games...

Second is kind of a 'more of the same' kind of game, I don't remember anything being particularly wrong with it, it just did not seem to contribute to the overall story of the franchise. I remember enjoying it, but no real details about it.

Doomshine

Second is kind of a 'more of the same' kind of game, I don't remember anything being particularly wrong with it, it just did not seem to contribute to the overall story of the franchise. I remember enjoying it, but no real details about it.

It's also fairly short if I remember correctly. It's still great though and worth playing.

Zaph

Having gorged myself on Deponia and Book of Unwritten Tales, I'm a little burnt out with quirky fantasy adventure games.

Anyone able to recommend good sci-fi/space adventure games made in the last decade? Think about jumping into The Immortals of Terra, but I've heard it's pretty incomprehensible if you're not familiar with the Perry Rhodan stuff.

Just as fun, a lot shorter though. The mythology behind it is pretty cool.

Having gorged myself on Deponia and Book of Unwritten Tales, I'm a little burnt out with quirky fantasy adventure games.

Anyone able to recommend good sci-fi/space adventure games made in the last decade? Think about jumping into The Immortals of Terra, but I've heard it's pretty incomprehensible if you're not familiar with the Perry Rhodan stuff.

Sorry the only ones i've played recently were The longest journey (bit older though but fantastic) and Gemini Rue, which is more of a Noire/Sci-Fi thriller, absolutely recommend em both though but you probably already played those...

epmode

Primordia has been mentioned a few times but I think it qualifies. It's not out yet, however.

epmode

So with all this talk about Cognition, I looked into a purchase.

So I'm either stuck with Rain DG's download limit (ugh) or Gamersgate's server check during installation. I've used Gamersgate in the past but I still don't trust them to be around as long as Steam.

I guess I'll wait for a Steam or GOG release, sigh.

Yea the artwork in Syberia was beautiful and surreal. Love the Syberia universe and I'm very glad that they're returning to it.

Primordia should get greenlit soon so I'll wait for it to show up on Steam.

epmode

Awww man just watched the Launch Trailer for Primordia and damn it looks good.

Check it out, if you haven't already seen it.
http://youtu.be/0YvWQi_5fsw
I've been playing the demo* for a bit and I like it. It feels like a mid to late stage Lucasarts game, right down to the game's resolution.

I really like Wadjet Eye, even if I'd like to see them branch out beyond the same ~five voice actors and Adventure Game Studio. That can cost a lot, though, and it's nice to see them doing well 100% on their own.

*not really a demo. It's only for people who pre-purchased the GOG version.

I wanted to mention a game no one has talked about on Neogaf to my knowledge. For anyone who was a fan of Black Mirror 2 or 3, Cranberry Productions last game before they closed is Lost Chronicles of Zerzura(Zerzuza?). It's been out in Europe for awhile I guess, it's finally out in America. I haven't played it, I'm personally waiting for a sale(It's only 20 though), but I thought someone else might be interested and any other impressions would be appreciated. I think it looks really good, and I liked their other games.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/17223

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Chronicles-of-Zerzuza-Download/dp/B009WWHW0I/ref=pd_cp_sw_2

How is Chains of Satinav? http://www.gog.com/gamecard/the_dark_eye_chains_of_satinav

Looks brilliant, and is based on the Dark Eye. No buzz on GAF though..

Edit: D'oh.. just saw the trailer on youtube and whilst the art is good, the animation is simply dreadful. :/

I personally really enjoyed Satinav. The art alone is worth playing it for, as you go to some really interesting locations as the game progresses. The story and puzzles are nothing world shattering, but its solid. Such a beautiful game though.

I will have to pop an order down for Resonance, will probably do it via Wadjet site apparently last time they sent out GoG/Steam redeems. Not that I care too much about Steam/GoG, more just supporting the dev direct and DRM free. (I know GoG is DRM free but they obviously take a cut.)

ALSO I'm going to just say this, I had NO idea that
Emerald City Confidential 60% off

Was developed by WadjetEye Games!
Totally missed that and have now totally bought it, apparently it is rarely on sale via steam.

I will have to pop an order down for Resonance, will probably do it via Wadjet site apparently last time they sent out GoG/Steam redeems. Not that I care too much about Steam/GoG, more just supporting the dev direct and DRM free. (I know GoG is DRM free but they obviously take a cut.)

ALSO I'm going to just say this, I had NO idea that
Emerald City Confidential 60% off

Was developed by WadjetEye Games!
Totally missed that and have now totally bought it, apparently it is rarely on sale via steam.

Yea buying Resonance directly from Wadjet Eye got me a Steam key and a DRM free download.

As for Emerald City Confidential, I asked Dave Gilbert why it doesn't get a sale very often and the answer was because he does not own the game. It's published by someone else and they decide these things. Steamprices says that it has only been on sale once in 2012, and the only time it was lower than the current price of 4$ was 2 years ago in the Winter sale of 2010 when it went for 2.5$. Might as well pick it up now.

Fjordson

Thanks for the heads up! Decided to grab it. Actually a little surprised it's taken me this long. Love the art style and everything associated with Wadjet Eye that I've ever played has been top notch.

Speaking of, I was skipping around through some playthroughs of the Primordia demo on YouTube today (didn't want to spoil too much). Man, this game looks so interesting. The premise of the game, the cold opening, the soundtrack. I can't wait.

robotnik

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/11/26/syberia-iii-adventure-game-announced-for-release-in-2014-or-2015/

I can't find any other sources on this, but with this, the list of adventure games I wanted to get new entries, is complete. So hyped if true.
New Syberia? Finally!

As for Emerald City Confidential, I asked Dave Gilbert why it doesn't get a sale very often and the answer was because he does not own the game. It's published by someone else and they decide these things. Steamprices says that it has only been on sale once in 2012, and the only time it was lower than the current price of 4$ was 2 years ago in the Winter sale of 2010 when it went for 2.5$. Might as well pick it up now.
Decisions, decisions... And thanks for the heads up, Spin ;)

krYlon

I wanted to mention a game no one has talked about on Neogaf to my knowledge. For anyone who was a fan of Black Mirror 2 or 3, Cranberry Productions last game before they closed is Lost Chronicles of Zerzura(Zerzuza?). It's been out in Europe for awhile I guess, it's finally out in America. I haven't played it, I'm personally waiting for a sale(It's only 20 though), but I thought someone else might be interested and any other impressions would be appreciated. I think it looks really good, and I liked their other games.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/17223

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Chronicles-of-Zerzuza-Download/dp/B009WWHW0I/ref=pd_cp_sw_2

Ghaleon mentioned it earlier and I've been wanting to play it ever since.

But it's not available on Amazon.co.uk, argghhh! There must be some way of getting hold of it in the UK!!

krYlon

I've given it the thumbs up.

Though I am contemplating buying from Amazon.com. It seems shipping is available to the UK, bit expensive though.

Tizoc

Is Dreamfall worth getting or should I just get Longest Journey by itself?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300/?snr=1_6_4__421

Where can I find Cognition and the Journey Down?
Furthermore, which of the Tex Murphy and FMV-style PnC games on gog.com are worth getting?

OK PnC games on my wishlist in Steam include:
Emerald City Confidential (would've gotten it if I knew it was a Wadjet Eye game >_<)
Jolly Rover (it's cartoony look interests me...)
Ankh 2 and 3
Chaos on Deopnia (also on gog.com =p)

Anything else I should look into? I don't like horror genre btw.

Any impressions on The Testament of Sherlock Holmes?

It's not a bad PnC. I played and beat it on the PS3 (suffered from frame rate issues but fortunately it never affected the progression or gameplay, but it really feels irking for anyone who has been playing PnCs for a long time).
Dunno if it'd be worth $20, unless you want to support Frogware.

epmode

Is Dreamfall worth getting or should I just get Longest Journey by itself?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300/?snr=1_6_4__421

Dreamfall is wonderful. Keep in mind that it's a lot closer to a visual novel than an adventure game. I still like it more than TLJ.

Where can I find Cognition and the Journey Down?

Cognition
Some site called Rain DG has a DRM-free version but you have to pay extra to be able to re-download after 60 days. Digital River is the worst.
Gamersgate has a version that does a server-side check during installation

The Journey Down
I think I bought my copy on Desura.

Just got email about cognition on Greenlight.

If Cognition gets the Greenlight, Episode 1 is ready to go, and Steam has already promised that keys can be generated for customers who have purchased Greenlit games on other platforms as well.

So if you buy it via another service you will get Steam code. Same if you backed the Kickstarter I would imagine.

OP made me miss the days of Sierra / Dynamix.

Am I the only person that wants text command based adventures to come back, I don't mean zork, I mean like this:

Altered%20Destiny_Front.jpg

Tizoc

Dreamfall is wonderful. Keep in mind that it's a lot closer to a visual novel than an adventure game. I still like it more than TLJ.

Cognition
Some site called Rain DG has a DRM-free version but you have to pay extra to be able to re-download after 60 days. Digital River is the worst.
Gamersgate has a version that does a server-side check during installation

The Journey Down
I think I bought my copy on Desura.

Thanks mate, appreciate the info.
...and what's Desura? Is it like Origin and Steam?

Tizoc

Yes, except it's focused on independent games. The client isn't great but it's not required to launch the game.

Thanks I'll look into it. ...and is there a Desura thread to discuss it on GAF? Serach didn't bring anything up >_>;

BTW how would you guys rank the Broken Sword games, as in which of them are ur fav. and least fav.?

Oh and will get a new OT for 2013?

I'm happy to do an OT for 2013, on like new years day if people want it?
There are MORE than enough games for 2013, a big year for point n click, as said before.

I wasn't even gonna play Primordia for awhile (too many adventure games to play already) but the music in that trailer gave me no choice. I had to place my pre-order so I could download the soundtrack immediately.

Take notes, other game companies.

Tizoc

How come Monkey Island 3 and 4 aren't on Steam or GoG.com, etc?
I own MI1, 2 and Tales on PS3 and PC, I won the disc ver. of MI4. I did own MI3, but I lost one of the discs (dunno how that happened >_<).

Sloane

Banned
BTW how would you guys rank the Broken Sword games, as in which of them are ur fav. and least fav.?
1>2>3>4.

The original is by far the best, the second one is pretty good, too, just way too short. I didn't like 3 when it came out but over time it grew on me because it was at least trying something. 4 is a weird mess, developed externally and they didn't even bother with the characters and story.

Tizoc

1>2>3>4.

The original is by far the best, the second one is pretty good, too, just way too short. I didn't like 3 when it came out but over time it grew on me because it was at least trying something. 4 is a weird mess, developed externally and they didn't even bother with the characters and story.

Guess I'll skip 4 then haha.
Man one of these days I'm actually gonna take pictures of what PnC games I own as disc. I have B. Sword 2 and 3, but never owned 1.

BTW are there mods to improve the graphics of Grim Fandango and/or Tales of Monkey Island?

Guess I'll skip 4 then haha.
Man one of these days I'm actually gonna take pictures of what PnC games I own as disc. I have B. Sword 2 and 3, but never owned 1.

BTW are there mods to improve the graphics of Grim Fandango and/or Tales of Monkey Island?

You should check out Broken Sword 2.5: http://www.brokensword25.com/

It's a fanmade game that takes place between the second and third games and is pretty good. It continues the nice 2D graphics that are lacking in the third and fourth games.

No mods to improve graphics on those games.

Top Bottom