• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point & Click adventures in 2012. Best so far, the kickstarters and the future.

So what people have played so far this year from 2012 and what should people be keeping an eye out for in future?
Please note that there will be some games that were released 2011 in original EU language, translated into English for release this year.

Other useful threads Point & Click/Adventure fans should check out.

Point & Click adventures in 2011, the best so far and promising upcoming games?
Is the graphical text-based adventure game genre completely stone dead?
Point-and-Click Adventure-GAF of LucasArts, Sierra, and hair-pulling puzzles
Recommend me some point and click adventure games
thread of point-n-click adventure games getting some love (56K!)

KICKSTARTERS

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
$450k Goal, $598k Funded. Finished.

photo-full.jpg

Two Guys from Andromeda present SpaceVenture - from the creators of SPACE QUEST!
$500k Goal, $539 Funded. Finished.

Republique
$500K Goal. $550k Funded, finished.

Moebius - Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio (CSG-Community Supported Games)
$300K Goal. Funded, ENDS May 19th 2012.

Concept Art from Andy Hoyos.
moebiusscreen1.jpg

Leisure Suit Larry: In The Land of The Lounge Lizards RELOADED
$500K Goal. $655k Funded, finished.

Double Fine Adventure (Codename: REDS)
400K Goal. $3.3 Million funded, finished.

Concept/Design - Art Not Final
Untitled-2.jpg

OUT NOW!

Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes

harveysneweyes_screenshot_03_en.jpg

In Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes, players return to the world of adventure game hit Edna & Harvey: The Breakout. Be prepared to meet many old friends and discover many new hand-made cartoon locations, realized in full HD glory!

Lilli, a young girl at a convent school, is the main character of Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes. Seemingly the best-behaved little girl in the world, she executes all her chores in a diligent manner, no matter how unfair they may be. Her innocent, imperturbable way of carrying out the orders of others has something both tragic and eerie about it. Any angry thoughts, any childlike disobedience is buried deep beneath a seemingly impenetrable surface of sweetness. But how long will these feelings stay hidden? And where do the friendly little gnomes come from that paint over everything unpleasant in Lilli’s vicinity with a pleasant pink color? Are they real or just a product of her subconscious?

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

cognition-800-10.jpg

Erica Reed, a Boston FBI agent, lost her brother years ago to a serial killer who was never caught. In the high-stress hunt to save him, she began developing the power of post-cognition: by touching an object, she can see its past. Though useful in her line of work, it has caused her both personal and professional problems. When she comes across a crime scene that has clues that were left specifically for someone with her abilities, a new hunt is on. Who knows her secret? How? And what do they want from her?

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes - Frogwares

44.jpg

London 1898, Holmes has just successfully solved a new case by retrieving a priceless set of jewels that had been stolen. Unfortunately, the jewels' owner reveals that the necklace Holmes returned to him is a pale imitation...and everything seems to incriminate the detective!

A true descent into hell starts for Sherlock Holmes. London begins to have doubts and starts to lose its trust in Holmes who is incapable of refuting suspicions or of disproving the charges against him. Even Doctor Watson's unshakable faith in his friend starts to waver as the famous detective avoids Scotland Yard and increases strange behavior: night escapades, blackmail, destruction of evidence...Can Holmes go so far as to murder someone?

Dark and sinister, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes features a Sherlock Holmes like you have never seen before. It is a breath-taking story that multiplies twists and turns to constantly surprise players already captivated by Sherlock Holmes' dark side.

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav - Daedalic
STEAM LINK

satinavsketten_screen04_jpg_640x360_upscale_q85.jpg

Thirteen years ago...

in the town of Andergast a dark prophet was burned at the stake at the place of execution.

Nobody knew his true name. He had come from the woods and spoke his dark prophecies only to disappear again. The people revered him as the "the Seer". It was said that he might have been a druid, a sorcerer, a being from the fairy folk or even an all-knowing demigod. Time and time again the Seer predicted disaster would come to Andergast and, indeed, disaster did come. Nobody knew the real reason why the King of Andergast had the Seer executed. Some say the Seer himself had cursed the whole kingdom of Andergast.

A poor raven-haired child was watching the execution. As the procession with the disgraced convict passed by, the boy met the eyes of the Seer and with his last words the doomed prophet predicted a dark future for the boy. The stake was lit for the flames to consume the body of the Seer.

The black haired child Geron grew up to be a gifted trapper. But since that fateful day of the execution he couldn't escape the words of the Seer as the people of Andergast where eying him with suspicion ever since. Feeding their suspicions everything in Geron's presence seemed to break or disappear mysteriously. Thus Geron was called a bringer of bad luck and a witches' brat.

As our story begins, young Geron works as a trapper and has a lot of trouble on his hands. Flocks of crows act strangely. Aggressive and fearless they even attack humans. Some people even believe that the crows bring nightmares to the citizens of Andergast. When some of the once celebrated heroes, who had executed the Seer, are found dead and with eyes picked out rumors spread throughout the city. Many believe that the ghost of the Seer has finally returned to take revenge. And of course many believe Geron to be the reason for these dark signs. After all he was said to bring bad luck and disaster to Andergast.

As the king searches for a trapper for an important quest, Geron takes his chance to clear his name once and for all. And so Geron gets entangled into a story that will prove to be of greater importance than he could ever have expected.

Resonance - XII Games
NEOGAF OT HERE
STEAM LINK

Res_SS_TSI.PNG

A particle physicist’s mysterious death sparks a race to find his hidden vault and claim his terrifying new discovery. The player will take control of four characters whose lives become entangled in the search for the scientist’s vault. They will have to learn to trust each other and work together to overcome the obstacles in their way and to keep this new and powerful technology out of the hands of a dangerous organization.

The Journey Down: Chapter One (SkyGoblin)

tjd1.jpg

The Journey Down is a point-and-click adventure about a couple of down-on-their-luck gas station attendants who get thrown into "a twisting plot of corruption, laughs and brainteasing adventure." It's heavily steeped in African culture, with character designs based on wood carvings and masks from the Makonde and Chokwe tribes.

Yesterday - Pendulo Games
NEOGAF OT HERE

yesterday-23.jpg

In New York City, beggars are disappearing one after another, only to be found burnt alive. Meanwhile, a Y-shaped scar forms in the palm of the hands of seemingly unrelated people. With the police and the media giving little attention to these events, Henry White, a young and rich heir dedicated to a charitable organization, and his friend Cooper, are the first to investigate these disappearances. They are two of the three playable characters in Yesterday, the third being none other than the enigmatic John Yesterday, who is dragged into this incredible story after his memory is completely wiped.

This is the starting point of a brand new adventure from Pendulo Studios, which will drive you into a dark story full of twists and turning points, and give you the chance to choose between 4 different endings! Choose who you want to control: Henry, Cooper or John in the game’s grand finale and leave the closing at your will! Do you want justice to win? Would you prefer a crooked ending? Or rather an unexpected, jaw-dropping one?
It’s up to you!

Botanicula - Amanita Design
NEOGAF OT HERE

botanicula-06.jpg

Botanicula is a point'n'click exploration game created by the makers of award-winning Machinarium, studio Amanita Design and Czech band DVA. Five friends, little tree creatures, set out on a journey to save the last seed from their home tree which is infested by evil parasites.

Key features:

• Relaxed game perfect for hardcore gamers, their partners, families and seniors.
• More than 150 detailed locations to explore.
• Hundreds of funny animations.
• Incredible amount of hidden bonuses.
• Fantastic music and sound effects by fantastic band DVA
• Not one but five main characters with various skills and personalities.
• No text or lengthy dialogs to bore you.
• Bonuses for vigilant players at the end of the game.

J.U.L.I.A - CBE Software

shot002.jpg

J.U.L.I.A. is an innovative narrative driven PC game. The story centers on Rachel Manners, a 35 year old astrobiologist. She is a member of an elite group of scientists, chosen to embark on one of the most critical missions ever conceived on Earth. Now Rachel is alone, orbiting an unknown planet. Her only companions are J.U.L.I.A., the space probe’s artificial intelligence and Mobot, a huge reconnaissance robot. Together, this unlikely trio will explore the mysteries of this solar system. But are they prepared for what they will find?

Shadows of the Vatican: Act 1 of 4 Greed - Adventure Productions / 10th Art Studio

gallery_act1_img1.jpg

A blood-red sky surrounds the city of Rome in a surreal, neverending twilight. Under the shadow of St. Peter, an American ex-priest investigates a series of events that exposes a deeper, more complex web of political and religious intrigue than he ever could have imagined.

Da New Guys: Day of the Jackass

new_guys_belt.jpg

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing the impossible..."

Brain - the worst brawler in the history of the Wrestle Zone - has won the title belt! Not even his team-mates Simon and Defender can believe it. But when Brain gets kidnapped (along with the belt), it's up to them to get him back.

Street-fights, car chases, and obssessed fans all stand in the way of Brain's rescue. But as the reluctant heroes find themselves descending ever deeper into the city's darkest corner, they learn that their problems are only just beginning..

The Walking Dead Episode 1: A New Day

177790_486020231412148_1807793655_o.jpg

The critically acclaimed debut episode of The Walking Dead begins at the outset of the undead apocalypse. Lee Everett awakes into a world collapsing into anarchy as society fails to deal with the undead plague. Seeking refuge, he stumbles upon Clementine, an eight year old girl whose parents are missing. Lee takes Clementine under his wing as they seek safety from the walkers all around them.

The Walking Dead Episode 2: Starved for Help

615880_486864787994359_71268813_o.jpg

With starvation and bandit attacks as much of a threat as the undead, you will learn what you’re willing to resort to in order to survive. As things become ever more desperate, the group is offered food from strangers, but at what cost?

Sword and Sworcery EP - Superbrothers Inc/ Cappy / Jim Guthrie (PC/iOS/MAC)

ss_cc3c39acf22e657897ae7d13312ca262bee07b47.600x338.jpg

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is an exploratory action adventure videogame with an emphasis on audiovisual style. Traverse a mythic little realm, use a sword to do battle & evoke sworcery to solve mystical musical mysteries. Co-operate with friends via Twitter, experience a videogame world that is affected by moon phases & help a wandering warrior monk complete her woeful errand.

Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle - Wizarbox (PC/PS3/DS/Wii)

10_b.jpg

Join Morgane as she grows up from an innocent 8 year old girl to become the most famous Pirate of the Caribbean!

Seek out the treasure of the Golden Turtle, help Morgane to solve mysteries and puzzles and outwit her enemies along the way. Explore over 50 locations on 5 beautiful and exotic islands in the Caribbean Sea, but above all try to keep her out of trouble…
she is a pirate after all!

COMING SOON

STASIS

feb2012-10.jpg

Disoriented, drowsy and in pain, John Maracheck opens his eyes. There is nothing to greet him but the static of a nearby monitor and a cold steel floor. Thick, green liquid covers the floor and then his body, leading to trail to a nearby, steaming stasis-pod. He slowly gets to his feet, trying to take in his surroundings. Where is his wife? His daughter? What the hell is going on…?

Stasis is an adventure game that puts you in control of John Maracheck, a man searching for his family in a seemingly abandoned research facility. Going back to classic adventure game mechanics, you are required to solve puzzles and use objects around you to progress and to find Maracheck’s family.

Graphically, Stasis is fairly unique in the adventure game genre, opting for highly detailed isometric graphics, as opposed to the more classic ‘side on’ views of other adventure games. Richly detailed rooms and fluid animations create an immersive environment for the player to explore, with danger lurking in every shadow.

The stasis-plug suit gives you direct access to an Emergency Medical Kit. This is a piece of equipment that has the ability to break down any object of a certain weight and size into its base elements and store it for future use. While normally used to store small medical supplies, Maracheck uses it as an easy way to keep and transport object he has found. Objects can be stored, accessed, combined and brought back into the ‘real’ world at any moment.

At its core, Stasis is a story about an ordinary man in an extraordinary situation.

Trapped in a place where humanity’s horrors come out to play, how far would you go to protect your family?

The Dream Machine Chapter 4-5

drea3.jpg

What is The Dream Machine?
The Dream Machine is a point'n'click adventure game made out of clay and cardboard.
Chapter 1 is free to play on site, ready for 1-3 launch on Steam May 11th.

Haunted - Deck 13 (2011 game, English release 2012?! Already out?!)

haunted-hands-on-preview-3.jpg

"Help! They Hurt me! Save me!"
A close voice resounds in the night when Mary suddenly awakes from her nightmare.
Since the fateful day of the train accident in which she lost her small sister Emily, Mary fights her way as a street-kid in the lanes of London. At night she is struck by dreams and visions of her sister. Is it possible that Emily is still alive? The thought bothers
Mary to the point that she decides to follow the hints in her visions…
As Mary dives deeper and deeper into a world of supernatural phenomena, she receives unexpected supernatural support during her adventurous trip.

Key Features
•Sweeping soundtrack made by Dynamedion
•Over 30 bizarre characters with brilliant animations and polished facial mimic and gestures
•Integrated help function with 3 steps to avoid riddle frustration
•Ghastly beautiful scenarios in London, Scotland, Transylvania and a Goldfish glass (!)
•Ingenious "phantom gameplay": interact with 6 supernatural assistants, and use their forces to solve the riddles
•Witty dark comedy played in the London of the 19th century

One to look out for is Botanicula by Amanita Design, the developers of Machinarium. And speaking of Kickstarter, there was one that ended last year that was for a point-and-click adventure called Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller which has involvement from Jane Jensen.

Bebpo

Banned
Is this thread only for games released in 2012? Or games you played in 2012 that were released whenever?

PokéKong

One to look out for is Botanicula by Amanita Design, the developers of Machinarium. And speaking of Kickstarter, there was one that ended last year that was for a point-and-click adventure called Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller which has involvement from Jane Jensen.

And do we know anything about Samorost 3 yet? Weren't they supposed to show it at the last GDC?

Ceebs

Yesterday from Pendulo came out last week, anyone had a go, worth getting?

It's pretty meh. It is worse than The Next Big Thing in almost every way not to mention Runaway. The English voice work is just not even in the same ballpark.

PokéKong;36424879 said:
And do we know anything about Samorost 3 yet? Weren't they supposed to show it at the last GDC?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/26/more-of-the-samorost-screens-from-samorost-3/

vareon

I had a feeling that Schafer's project basically kickstarted a dozen others in the genre. Heck, I'm even thinking to start a kickstarter for a sequel of my game.

Ceebs said:
It's pretty meh. It is worse than The Next Big Thing in almost every way not to mention Runaway. The English voice work is just not even in the same ballpark.

:( Is it? Damn I was really looking forward to it. I still need to finish TNBT though.

Ceebs

I had a feeling that Schafer's project basically kickstarted a dozen others in the genre. Heck, I'm even thinking to start a kickstarter for a sequel of my game.

:( Is it? Damn I was really looking forward to it. I still need to finish TNBT though.

You may like it more than me. The story and characters did not vibe with me at all. Also all the cutscenes are done in these stupid little comic book panels instead of using the full screen.

lostxii

In terms of games I looking forward to...

The Journey Down
journeydown-613x364.png

Botanicula
botanicula-02.jpg

The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
timthumb.php

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
20120307-114647.jpg

The Walking Dead(Please be good!)
TelltalesTheWalkingDead.png

DieH@rd

Banned
What happened with that adventure game where few time travelers from the postapocaliptic future went back to the past to save the earth from destruction, but they dont go far enough and ended up in some wasteland [freshly destroyed earth]?

Was it released, and can someone remember its name?

Yeah, I've had my eye on The Dream Machine for over a year now. I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam since it's in registry.

What happened with that adventure game where few time travelers from the postapocaliptic future went back to the past to save the earth from destruction, but they dont go far enough and ended up in some wasteland [freshly destroyed earth]?

Is the game A New Beginning?

protonion

That sounds like A New Beginning.

A game I look forward to is The Silent Age (for ios/android)

http://silentagegame.com/blog/game/

0lTfp.png

The hero has the ability to go back and forth in time 40 years. The first episode should be released soon.

Yeah, I've had my eye on The Dream Machine for over a year now. I'm waiting for it to show up on Steam since it's in registry.

They're still on episode 3 out of 5 right now, working on Ep 4, so it won't launch on Steam before the entire project is complete, which probably will not be until this fall, since they are only two dudes working on this.

BiggNife

Out of curiosity, has anywhere here played Yesterday? I can't find a thread for it, and it looks kinda interesting.

Apenheul

People here will probably be interested in this Space Quest 2 remake

I used to love the Space Quest series and I tried this remake but just couldn't get into it anymore. Still, it's done so well you might actually mistake it for an unreleased VGA version.

GhaleonQ

A ranking from best to worst:
Lost Chronicles Of Zerzura
Deponia (a sequel is out this year, too)
The Ballads Of Reemus
J.U.L.I.A.

Avoid at all costs. Pendulo can't do point and click for shit and this is probably their worst effort yet.

Features
Four playable swappable characters
A twisting, riveting storyline
Unique long-term and short-term memory systems
Cheat death by rewinding time
A unique and intuitive interface
All the love and care you’ve come to expect from an independent adventure developer
A bullet point on gaf would probably be that Logan Cunningham (narrator from Bastion) is also doing a voice in that game.

Subbed.

I love that adventure games have made a comeback. I mean, I'm still making my way through some of the oldies, but it's nice to have modern ones to pick from too!

Sloane

Banned
One of the weirdest and worst games I've ever played. I actually thought Pendulo had gotten better at this over the years (Runaway: A Twist of Fate was pretty good, in my opinion) but Yesterday is nothing but awful. Story is a complete trainwreck, characters suck, puzzles are less then mediocre and it's about as long as 1-2 Telltale episodes.

protonion

any good pnc's on iphone that aren't ports?

My favorite by far is The Secret of Chateau de Moreau. And sadly almost noone has played it. I made a post about it a long time ago in the iphone topic. Amazing game.

2YMe9.jpg

Also a nice short one is Scarlett and the Spark of Life: Episode 1

hLiq1.jpg

Well made, funny and easy.

Just a wee update.

Bontanicula finally saw release, from the creator on Machinarium. Saw a big launch as part of a new humble bundle, which has now closed.

23366.jpg

The Dream Machine is heading to Steam, May 11th not long now. Should be Chapter 1-3, announcement to come about people who have purchased on the website version.

554440_446157845411349_143937088966761_1632796_57651534_n.jpg

Reversion http://www.reversion-eljuego.com.ar/en/#!download has been translated into english.
hqdefault.jpg

In one of the world's most overcrowded cities, the worst happened...

Twenty years later, a man with no memory holds the key to change it all.

It's your chance to revert history.

Jane Jensen's (creator of Gabriel Knight) Kickstarter for Pinkerton Road finally reached its $300k total, Moebius was chosen by backers as the first title to be developed. Still has 12 days of funding left so grab a pre-order whilst you can.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg

Malachi Rector is an antiquities dealer who hunts down artifacts all over the world. After his upscale Manhattan store is destroyed in a fire, he's hired by billionaire Amble Dexter to investigate a series of events and document them in his meticulous way.

The first event is the death of a young woman in Venice. She was found hanging from a bridge. As Rector investigates her life, compiling facts for his dossier, he realizes that the beautiful and talented young woman -- and the interrupted path of her life -- had great hidden significance. It appears that Amble Dexter and his associates are playing with the fabric of life in a way Rector never imagined was possible. Even he, Rector himself, is part of a larger pattern. He must figure out who is doing what, and whether their intentions are for good or ill, before he can decide if he will play his pre-scripted role -- or try to change the outcome. This is a metaphysical thriller ala Dante’s Equation and Gabriel Knight.

Daedalic's (The Whispered World, A New Beginning and Edna & Harvey) Deponia, will it ever be released in english? Looking like a June release, then again....
18855.jpg

Rufus is not a pleasant guy. Ill-tempered and entirely too convinced of his own greatness, he lives at the edge of a small settlement somewhere in the most remote sector of the garbage-covered planet Deponia. He dreams of a better life in the floating cities of wealth and beauty high above the planet surface. When the angelic Goal falls from these privileged spheres down into a neighboring trash heap, Rufus sees his chance. He decides to bring the unconscious beauty back to her home. Only a vague hope of making it off Deponia at first, he soon formulates an unscrupulous plan, as he learns that he is a dead ringer for Goal’s upper-class husband. The planned handover is only the beginning of a wild chase across Deponia full of twists, turns and mystifying mix-ups…

Deponia is a fast-paced comedy of errors and one of the most unusual love stories in gaming history. The twist-filled story takes its off-beat characters all over trash planet Deponia, a unique game world in the style of Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Matt Groening. From Kuvaq, an improvised village built inside a giant trash heap, to the swimming black market and the dark corners of the elevated planetary railways: The new adventure game from the makers of The Whispered World, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout and A New Beginning is brought to life with detailed hand-painted backgrounds in widescreen format and top-quality cartoon animation

The Walking Dead Episode 1 came out across , PSN/XBLA/PC. What did people think about it? Have it installed on PC but haven't tried it yet, Episode 2 is due May 30th apparently.

Update on Resonance
Resonance_04-1024x710.jpg

GDC footage from GameSpot, dev interview at start alongside some footage that will have some puzzle spoilers.
http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/on-the-spot/?event=on_the_spot_gdc_201220120308

Meet the cast and voice actors.

face_ed.png

Tolstoy “Ed” Eddings
played by Edward Bauer
(Blackwell Deception)
Ed is a mathematician at Juno Laboratories. He’s better with numbers than with people, but because of his familiarity with this new technology, the other characters count on him for guidance in their search.

face_ann.png

Anna Castellanos
played by Sarah Elmaleh
(Gemini Rue, Blackwell Deception, Skulls of the Shogun)
Anna is an ER doctor in Aventine City. Her connection to the vault re-opens old wounds from her past.

face_ben.png

Detective Winston Bennet
played by Logan Cunningham
(Bastion)
Bennet is a senior Detective with the Aventine City Police Department. He will often disregard regulations and follow his gut, charging head-first into situations without thinking things through.

face_ray.png

Raymond Abbot
played by Daryl Lathon
(Puzzle Bots, Blackwell Deception)
Ray is a controversial journalist for a popular online news source. He’s good at getting information out of people, even if he is more than a little cock-sure. He fancies himself a bit of a ladies man.

I will try and update this a wee bit more and also as ever if there is something you want to highlight for 2012 just pop it in here.

epmode

Wadjet Eye has really impressed me with those Blackwell games so I'm on board with Resonance.

I like this thread!

Resonance should go up for pre-order in bout 2 weeks time, available to download June.

Should be going up on Steam, few days ago (May 5th) Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye Games) tweeted.

"Steam has always rejected everything we've done once or twice before accepting it. This is the first time they accepted a game right away."

Very interesting to hear after that tweet someone asked.

"Do you change anything between the submissions? (And congratulations! :)"

He replied.

"We really planned this one out. Got tons of preview coverage before submitting. Probably made all the difference."

Wee bit late but I have made a start on editing original post and basically logging down the releases for the year and already out there. Have loads to write and find but hopefully this small update will do for now. Will continue to add more.

ShaneB

I'm really really excited for 'The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav', looks absolutely beautiful in screens, wonderful art, same with that Deponia pic shown above. Perhaps I'm just loving whatever Daedalic is putting out. lol

Top Bottom