• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocky and Rocky: Reshrined...a master class in modern retro gaming for fans

VGEsoterica

It should come as no surprise that I love retro gaming; I collect for it, release betas and prototypes I find...and just generally love the stuff I grew up with. But any time a "new retro game" gets announced the hype builds up for everyone...and so often what we get is a bit of a pale imitation of the game / franchise we knew and loved.

Well damn it...Pocky and Rocky Reshrined bucks that trend and delivers the raccoon based goods to absolutely everyone. It takes the SNES original, remakes some portions, adds different and unique levels and most importantly keeps the difficulty and charm of the original experience fully intact. Just a straight up love letter to the fans of Pocky and Rocky while also being a great entry point to anyone not familiar with the series.

Plus...the pixel art. Legit some of the best I've seen in a long time. Classic 16-bit vibes on modern hardware. The game is just PRETTY to look at.

But this, Streets of Rage 3 and TNMT: Shredder's Revenge should be the guide stick that every other modern retro gaming experience is measured against

But GAF...what have I missed? I can't play them all...and I kow you always have good recommendations on here

MrA

Banned
Only annoying part is 2 player needs to be unlocked
But for how modern 2d, fight n rage is the best beat em up

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What the hell is censored in Pocky and Rocky???? lol

155-a77c0770-6e7c-419a-892c-1a766791c3fd.jpg

Nothing "massive" but why would you buy the version that's been edited when you can just buy and play the original unedited version with the same translation?

Last edited:

kiphalfton

That is the best art style hands down. Would take a new Zelda game in that art style honestly. Been too long. Link Between Worlds and Links Awakening are fine, but doesn't have the same soul.

Reactions: Fuz

VGEsoterica

Yes between the Links Awakening Remake and DX...I'd rather have a remake that was pure 2D sprite art except with the power of Switch vs the 3D. Not knocking the effort...it was great. I just wish they'd have kept it 2D

VGEsoterica

how have I never seen this before, it's like sega doing what sega does cranked up to 12
it came and went quickly. Outrunners on the System 32 was a hit and then Sega made this to capitalize on the sprite scaling craze on a modified Y board...and it just didn't sell well

pramod

Banned
155-a77c0770-6e7c-419a-892c-1a766791c3fd.jpg

Nothing "massive" but why would you buy the version that's been edited when you can just buy and play the original unedited version with the same translation?
Or just set up a Japanese user account on your Switch, and then use pre-paid cards (you can buy them from Play-Asia.com) to buy Japanese version of games. Believe me it's worth the trouble setting it all up.

Rran

It's a lot of fun, plays, looks and sounds really good. That said, I'd like a little more of what Streets 4 did with the individual stage select and rankings. Would really incentivize me to master the game further.

Impotaku

It's a really nice remake the graphical additions are fantastic as the game deviates after first few levels into something totally new love how some of the older bosses have a second totally new form. Finished the main mode and now trying my way through free mode still no idea how to unlock that greyed out character in fee mode but i'm guessing i'll know once i have managed to beat free mode. Also really like how they did scanlines in this with the option of loads of different strength so you can totally tailor it to your tv without it looking like utter shit.

If only all companies put this much effort into bringing old titles back to the modern gaming era, as for the cleavage thing it's totally hilarious that something so tame got censored in the west. Non issue to me as i bought the jpn version thankfully.

Holammer

This game was just stealth-released on Steam, but the price is holding me back.
It was announced a few weeks ago on the Tengo Project Twitter account. I made a post about it on the "pixel" thread (but that's a secret club!).
Just completed the story mode and yes, they could have had a better launch discount than 10%. However, I like the devs and they are self-publishing on PC, so take my munies!

ManaByte

It's a real shame isent it? And it's so pointless, sadly until some ultra puritan attitudes are changed within specifically the localisation industry this will keep happening.

It's not the localization industry, it's the approval process of one of the platform holders that won't allow that (and it's not Nintendo).

They got so afraid during the MeToo stuff of someone streaming something deemed "offensive" that they went full-on 1980s Nintendo with their content approval guidelines. Ironically, the same rules don't seem to apply to their own published games which can feature sex scenes with nudity.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom