• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pleistocene Park: Bioscience and genetic engineering firm looking to resurrect the wooly mammoth

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Fighting climate change with mammoths may seem crazy, but it has decades of research behind it — including the work of George Church, Ph.D., a world-renowned pioneer in genomics. Church runs a lab at Harvard and has been exploring how to genetically re-engineer the woolly mammoth using its closest living relative, the Asian Elephant.

The reason is this: One of the greatest threats to the earth is the melting of the arctic permafrost and its massive release of the greenhouse gasses that are stored safely in its freeze. When the herds of woolly mammoth and other animals vanished, that area became covered with a forest that keeps the earth warmer. Church is betting on the idea that a resurrected population of the mammoths, if let loose in the arctic, would chomp and stomp down the bush and trees, exposing the earth to subzero temperatures and allowing the tundra’s original grasslands to grow back. That ecosystem, maintained by the large creatures, would then effectively sequester carbon, rather than allowing it back into the atmosphere.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I hope this isn't some dumb bullshit. Seen too many companies and scam startups promise dumb sci-fi bullshit. I want my mammoths.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I hope this isn't some dumb bullshit. Seen too many companies and scam startups promise dumb sci-fi bullshit. I want my mammoths.

This company has the backing of Harvard and the people leading it are big shots in the world of genetics and other molecular technologies. So, fingers crossed. It does feel a bit dressed up for the attraction of investors, but scientists have to hustle for funding sometimes.

ALL OF THE JEFF GOLDBLUM GIFS.

I'll start things up for you.

kSaeyBx.jpg

*Nightwing

How’s the tundra going to grow back with the sun partially blocked out by Bill Gates exploding light reflective particles in the atmosphere? What’s next, Jeff Bezos trying to turn the world into a desert while Elon Musk simultaneously tries for a cataclysmic world flood?

the Legion of Doom cannot come soon enough for these supervillain’s to coordinate thier idiocies so they don’t conflict with one another.

Last edited:

TheMan

I feel like I've heard this before. Good luck to them. Would be badass for us but probably really shitty for the woolly mammoth.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I feel like I've heard this before. Good luck to them. Would be badass for us but probably really shitty for the woolly mammoth.

There was one other company I remember also trying this years back, maybe around 2014? But I guess nothing came of them. Google is giving me Nathan.....

Pejo

There was a great episode of Expedition Unknown where they go to a lab of one of the places (I think in South Korea) that were trying to resurrect mammoths through genetic modification and cloning. That had to be a few years ago now, and they had something like 80% of the DNA chain at that time from samples they found in the permafrost in Canada and Siberia.

I hope that if they get it to work, I still am alive by the time we get dinosaurs. I've wanted to see a T-rex since i was like 4 years old and have never stopped wanting to.

There's some cool shit on the horizon as long as "ethics" don't get in the way like they did with stem cells for years and years.

There was a great episode of Expedition Unknown where they go to a lab of one of the places (I think in South Korea) that were trying to resurrect mammoths through genetic modification and cloning. That had to be a few years ago now, and they had something like 80% of the DNA chain at that time from samples they found in the permafrost in Canada and Siberia.

I hope that if they get it to work, I still am alive by the time we get dinosaurs. I've wanted to see a T-rex since i was like 4 years old and have never stopped wanting to.

There's some cool shit on the horizon as long as "ethics" don't get in the way like they did with stem cells for years and years.
Youre not getting a trex. DNA has a very short half life. Wooly mammoths went extinct relatively recently

Star-Lord

Some are already expressing caution towards the idea:

And quite right they are, too. Mammoths are not engineered for the modern day world, no matter how artificially engineered they are. Jurassic Park may have been a film (based on a book) but it was based on actual science. Things that are dead should stay dead.

Top Bottom