• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please recommend me GC/Wii games

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I’ve played Fatal Frame 4 and currently playing Eternal Darkness. I’ve missed a lot of Wii and GCN games apparently, looking for recommendations from GAF peeps. The only conditions are:

- Exclude long and ongoing first party series, I missed out a lot on these and I’m currently only focused on Mario (so Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, and DK are out the window). Although I might try Thousand Year Door.

- Can be only played on GCN and Wii, because if it was multiplatform, I would have gotten it on a PS console.

- Favorite genres: RPG, action games, horror games, adventure games, platformers. Leaning towards Japanese developed games but I’m enjoying Eternal Darkness.

- 15-20 hours long at the most (I’m eyeing Skies of Arcadia Legends so that might be the exclusion).

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Epic Mickey - You might enjoy it since you said you like platformer & adventure games. It's carries a darker tone and setting than your usual Disney game. Also includes some really cool references to older Disney stuff, if you're into that. It's not for everybody, a lot of people hate it, but I loved it. Worth a shot a least.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fragile Dreams, Sin & Punishment 2, and Madworld… Can you play those games with a classic controller?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is a game you might enjoy a lot

Pretty solid Mario RPG game, but Super Mario RPG (SNES) and Paper Mario (N64) are definitely the two standouts. Some think TTYD is the best one though

TTYD is actually pretty atypical from your standard Mario story. You start off in an area polar opposite of what you could expect from a Mario game. Very well rounded Mario RPG game, and it wasn’t afraid to switch things up or try new things

Saber

Gold Member
Sonic Riders - Not a particular great game, but a different type of racing game. The GC controller makes all better(its a multiplataform though, but GC experience is better imo)

Mario Kart Double Dash - the special item mechanic is unbalanced, but the game is above everything in terms of fun and enjoyment. Tip: player 4 players using Chaotic item setting and 9 laps. Total fun mode!

Pikmin - fun and coold design makes you explore while administrate your time and your "troops". Higly recommend

Star Fox Assault - this game is a total mix bag in terms of story and gameplay. But the airship stages are awesome and sometimes feel like an autentic on-rail experience

Andyliini

For Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fragile Dreams, Sin & Punishment 2, and Madworld… Can you play those games with a classic controller?
As far as I know, none of them support classic controller. Altough Madworld does not have much motion controls in it. Disaster uses motion controls quite heavily, for pointer controls in shootinc sections etc.

Jeeves

If you can tolerate some jank and corniness, Gotcha Force is an amazing and imaginative action game by Capcom that was way ahead of its time and I've still never seen anything else quite like it. Better with friends to play against, but...still worth a look. In my opinion it's one of Gamecube's brightest-shining hidden gems that most enthusiasts still haven't caught onto.

I know you said no Kirby, but Kirby Air Ride can be enjoyed with no experience with the series. Rather than a racing game, I would describe it as a vehicle game. City Trial mode is the reason to play the game, and again...I've never seen anything else like it (Smash Run mode in Smash 3DS aside, which did not execute the concept as well). And also again...better with friends. Hey, GCN is a local multiplayer powerhouse!

Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2. Well, there are means to play them on other consoles and they're about to be featured in a Switch remake, but these games really benefit from the octagonal gate on the GCN control stick. Aside from the precise single-player obstacle courses, they also feature great and varied party minigames.

F-Zero GX. It's the last great F-Zero game. White-knuckle 30-car races with an unmatched sense of speed and brutality.

Rhythm Heaven Fever is one of the best entries in its series and one of the best rhythm games you'll find anywhere, using only a couple of buttons. True to its name, it's very much about feeling the rhythm and most of its minigames can be played without even looking at the TV.

Fortune Street is a super cutthroat board game style party game. Less Mario Party, more Monopoly...plus stock market! It's also kinda fun/weird to witness the crossover of Mario and Dragon Quest.

And yes, I can vouch for Paper Mario 2 and Sin & Punishment 2 as well. Paper Mario 2 is probably the best game on the Gamecube.

kunonabi

I don't pay attention to what gets ported elsewhere so some may disqualified.

Wii

A Boy and his Blob
Dead Space Extraction
Epic Mickey 1 and 2(wii version of 2 is superior than the borked multiplatform releases)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles the Crystal bearers
Fragile Dreams
Ju-on
Muramasa
No More Heroes(PS version is shit)
Opoona
Prince of Persia the forgotten sands( totally different and better game the the HD version)
Rodea the sky Soldier
Sin & Punishment
Shiren the Wanderer
The Sky Crawlers
Trauma Team
Wario Land(Sort of doesn't fit but it is excellent)
Zack & Wiki
Another Code R
The Last Story
Pandora's tower
Day of disaster
Earth Seeker
Captain Rainbow
Takt of Magic
Zangeki no regenlieve

Only liked a handful of GC games so I won't bother.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Don't sleep on Eternal Darkness
712e410258d531095b316714e5c53406.jpg

Gamecube:
- Super Monkey ball 1 & 2 are probably the most fun and replayable games
- Star wars Rogue Squadron 2
- Metroid Prime 1
- Super Mario Sunshine is very fun
- Zelda Wind Waker is classic but magical
- RE4 if you never played it (best version is on Wii IMO with the Wii motion controls which are excellent)
- Pikmin is special, you may not like it, but at least try it
- Paper Mario TTYD is the best Paper Mario, fun, never boring and a very rewarding game. But beware, this is not an easy game as there is plenty of exploration and often difficult puzzles (you are often stuck and don't know what to do next).

Wii:
- Metroid Prime 3 (yep you can skip the second game IMO, too much padding)
- Super mario galaxy 1 & 2
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- RE4 (wii version)
- World of Goo is very fun (digital, not sure if it's possible to buy it now).
- Rayman Origins if you never played it
- Donkey Kong country returns is excellent but play it on 3DS if you can as it's the best version (just trust me).

Yes I have being very disappointed by the Wii. Not many essentials exclusives games. The worst Nintendo console library.

skit_data

Metroid Prime 1&2
Starfox Adventures
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros Melee
Zelda Wind Waker
Zelda Twilight Princess
Super Mario Sunshine
Luigis Mansion

fart town usa

Gold Member
ULTROS! ULTROS!

wii_fragile_dreams_farewell_ruins_of_t_p_7f32uk.jpg

Really cool game, action/adventure/survival horrorish. Not scary but super moody and atmospheric, From what I remember, lots of resource management and weapons can break. Flashlight mechanic too. Art style is just gorgeous for a Wii title.

I sold it like a dumbass years back and now it's crazy expensive. Get a Wii and softmod that bitch. Total gem worth checking out.

So I’ve played Fatal Frame 4 and currently playing Eternal Darkness. I’ve missed a lot of Wii and GCN games apparently, looking for recommendations from GAF peeps. The only conditions are:

- Exclude long and ongoing first party series, I missed out a lot on these and I’m currently only focused on Mario (so Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, and DK are out the window). Although I might try Thousand Year Door.

- Can be only played on GCN and Wii, because if it was multiplatform, I would have gotten it on a PS console.

- Favorite genres: RPG, action games, horror games, adventure games, platformers. Leaning towards Japanese developed games but I’m enjoying Eternal Darkness.

- 15-20 hours long at the most (I’m eyeing Skies of Arcadia Legends so that might be the exclusion).

There are a handful of great hidden gems released on the Wii that never saw the light of day elsewhere as far as i know.

Pandora's Tower and The Last Story are a couple right up your alley as far as japanese developed games are concerned, great RPGs that, if i recall correctly, were part of a trilogy of role playing games consumers petitioned to be released outside Japan.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Gamecube) and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) are a duology that form an exceptional story with some of the best cast of characters found in a Fire Emblem game. I personally think that they're, by far, the best the entire franchise has to offer. Definitely worth experiencing.

Tschumi

Won't mention the obvious first party titles... I'll keep it to 3...

SSX3
Whatever genre you wanna call it, there's never been any better.

Gladius
It's, well, Final Fantasy Tactics meets Gladiator meets timing-based attacks.

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader. Rogue Squadron 3 also cool, has an on-foot gimmick... These are gorgeous games.

anonychus

Neo Member
Wow, not one mention of Custom Robo? Pretty disappointed tbh.

Please play Custom Robo on Gamecube. Even fits your 15-20 hours stipulation.

Soltype

Baten Kaitos 1 & 2 are good, very underated games.Was playing Super Monkey Ball 1/2 couple nights ago, and it still holds up on all fronts.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
If you can get your hands on it, the Rebirth Trilogy consisting of:

Contra Rebirth
Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth
Gradius Rebirth

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
- Donkey Kong country returns is excellent but play it on 3DS if you can as it's the best version (just trust me).
or he mods his Wii, reconfigures the controls and has the best visuals, 60 FPS and button controls.

Naked Lunch

Gamecube:
Killer 7 -still Suda51's best game.
F-Zero GX -Ive said many times on this forum that I think this is the best game ever released on a Nintendo console.

Wii:
Sin & Punishment Star Successor -like nothing else in gaming in particular the way it controls and the moves at your disposal - one of a kind.
L.A. Machineguns -light gun bliss
Ghost Squad -more light gun bliss

Besides Nintendo 1st party - those 5 games are the reason I still have both consoles hooked up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom