• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please recommend a budget PC

GeekyDad

I'm blue-collar, my PC is old, and I want to upgrade. Just looking for a Windows-based desktop.

This is what I've currently got:

AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 1.50 GHz
4.00 GB (3.45 GB usable)

I've had an external terabyte hard-drive hooked up for several years now, only half full.

Mainly just want something that won't bottleneck so easily. Aside from Internet browsing, I mainly use it to record music and create videos for Youtube (strictly amateur -- not looking to break into Hollywood or anything). For those things, she gets by okay, but I have to go easy on her, or programs start to crash, browsers close, etc.

Most bang for as little as possible?

OZ9000

Banned
How long is a piece of string?

You will need to give a hard budget to determine 'most bang for buck'.

I think you could build a decent PC for $600 that will last you a good time, assuming you don't care about playing games on it.

Last edited:

Tams

There's quite a lot available as you're now at least two major generations behind.

There are cheaper ones, but I recommend that one as a solid 1080p gaming one. Minisforum also make some good systems, though they are a little more expensive.

The previous generation ones are considerably cheaper, but the iGPU in particular will be noticeably worse.

If you want it to be a proper desktop (bear in mind that AMD haven't updated their 'APUs' recently, so these are Zen 3 on 7nm compared to Zen3+ on 6nm for the mobile chip above):

With whatever motherboard, case, RAM and SSD you want. Plump for the Ryzen 7 version if you can.

You will, of course, get flexibility with this, including being to add a GPU. The RX6400 or RX6500XT are actually decent, but limited cards. Low profile too. The GTX1650 LP is another option, but getting on for two thirds more. And the RTX A2000 - well just get a used GPU at that point.

Last edited:

Tams

Steam Deck. Buy a Steam Deck.

Edit: if someone can confirm if it's powerful enough to post videos to YT, I know nothing about it.

'Buy this; I know nothing about it!'

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

GeekyDad

There's quite a lot available as you're now at least two major generations behind.

That does look quite nice, all in a simple package, which would be a nice fit for someone who simply wants to basically plug & play. There was one at the bottom of the description that was almost half the price. Obviously, it's not going to offer what this one can, but considering I really don't use my PC for gaming, do you think something like that might suffice for DAW and video processing?

Tams

That does look quite nice, all in a simple package, which would be a nice fit for someone who simply wants to basically plug & play. There was one at the bottom of the description that was almost half the price. Obviously, it's not going to offer what this one can, but considering I really don't use my PC for gaming, do you think something like that might suffice for DAW and video processing?
I mean, if your pre-Zen AMD system suffices, the any Zen one certainly will and more.

Going for a Zen 2 system with a GCN iGPU will get you noticeably worse performance, especially the GPU, but it will still be a very significant step up.

Neither will be editing a full orchestra or a film for release, but you're not after that so...

An Intel system with QuickSync would help, but they tend to be more expensive and have worse iGPUs. Plus, they haven't really made significant progress in the 20-30W area for years.

GeekyDad

I mean, if your pre-Zen AMD system suffices, the any Zen one certainly will and more.

Going for a Zen 2 system with a GCN iGPU will get you noticeably worse performance, especially the GPU, but it will still be a very significant step up.

Neither will be editing a full orchestra or a film for release, but you're not after that so...

An Intel system with QuickSync would help, but they tend to be more expensive and have worse iGPUs. Plus, they haven't really made significant progress in the 20-30W area for years.
Thanks

OZ9000

Banned
Here is a semi decent budget PC build:

$505 for a PC that will last you a long time, and a big upgrade over your current system. I've put down 32GB RAM which will allow for effortless multitasking.

Add a GPU if you wish. You could always buy a second hand GPU eg Geforce 1660 Ti which is a fantastic GPU.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Go on Amazon and get a refurbed Dell or whatever brand of office system. If you're just looking for a media centre/tv system you can pick up small form factor systems (micro ATX) dirt-cheap. Specs are typically i5 or i7 with 8-16gb of ram and onboard graphics. These are expandable to use for gaming but you're limited on GPU choice due to low power psu's and space/cooling limitations (think GeForce 1030/1050/1650) which can add to cost.

Alternatively go for a similar specced system in a standard ATX case, which gives you more expandability options but typically are priced slightly higher.

TrueLegend

Here is a list of all viable setup
60 fps CPU Intel i3 12100f
For gpu
1080p - 1440p - 4k optimised setting with dlss PS5 level - RTX 2060
4k high with balanced/quality DLSS - 3060ti
4K - 3070 for high ultra native/quality
In 99.99% scenario of unbroken pc games

120fps CPU intel i512400/Ryzen 5600x
4k120fps - 3090 quality/native DLSS ultra
4K 120fps - 3080 quality/native dlss high
1440p 120fps - 3070 quality/balanced high

Pick any cheap compatible mobo from Asus
Pick crucial 8x2 gb ddr4 ram
Get 1 tb ssd crucial bx 500 ssd
And if possible spend a bit more and get seasonic 650 watt or above power supply

Tams

Here is a list of all viable setup
60 fps CPU Intel i3 12100f
For gpu
1080p - 1440p - 4k optimised setting with dlss PS5 level - RTX 2060
4k high with balanced/quality DLSS - 3060ti
4K - 3070 for high ultra native/quality
In 99.99% scenario of unbroken pc games

120fps CPU intel i512400/Ryzen 5600x
4k120fps - 3090 quality/native DLSS ultra
4K 120fps - 3080 quality/native dlss high
1440p 120fps - 3070 quality/balanced high

Pick any cheap compatible mobo from Asus
Pick crucial 8x2 gb ddr4 ram
Get 1 tb ssd crucial bx 500 ssd
And if possible spend a bit more and get seasonic 650 watt or above power supply

You didn't read the OP, did you?

And while 'budget' is relative and therefore what you have posted can certainly be called 'budget', it is certainly not inexpensive which is what people often mean when they say 'budget'.

Tams

So, with something like that, considering the way it's listed on the page, they send you those individual parts, and you hook it up yourself?

That website just amalgamates specs so that you can easily spec out a system. You need to buy all the components yourself from the respective stores and then assemble it yourself when they all arrive.

You're on a gaming forum, so people are assuming that you want to build the system yourself and game on it.

I stand by my recommendation of a pre-built mini PC using a laptop/mobile CPU with iGPU. Whether you want to save money and get an older Zen 2 + GCN one, or a more capable but expensive one with Zen 3+ + RDNA 2 is up to you.

ReBurn

Gold Member

TrueLegend

You didn't read the OP, did you?

And while 'budget' is relative and therefore what you have posted can certainly be called 'budget', it is certainly not inexpensive which is what people often mean when they say 'budget'.
I read the op. The Op didn't gave a budget amount. So I gave him all viable setup so that he can make best choice for what resolution and framerate he wants to play at or create video content at. For best bang for buck there is no reason to buy anything beneath a 2060.

Last edited:

Tams

I read the op. The Op didn't gave a budget amount. So I gave him all viable setup so that he can make best choice for what resolution and framerate he wants to play at or create video content at. For best bang for buck there is no reason to buy anything beneath a 2060.

Bruh, the context was all there. While a budget would have been nice, that GeekyDad has been happily using an Athlon, hasn't listed games in the OP, and posted it in the Off-Topic forum... Along with 'as little as possible'.

That should tell you that his budget is certainly not going to be more than $1,000 and likely no more than $500. And then in the comments he asks if something half the price of a roughly $600 system would be alright.

TrueLegend

Bruh, the context was all there. While a budget would have been nice, that GeekyDad has been happily using an Athlon, hasn't listed games in the OP, and posted it in the Off-Topic forum... Along with 'as little as possible'.

That should tell you that his budget is certainly not going to be more than $1,000 and likely no more than $500. And then in the comments he asks if something half the price of a roughly $600 system would be alright.
I can build him a system with what I listed within 600 dollars so your entire point is invalid. Here is 630usd 2060 build.
We can cut corners with 6600 and save 50 usd more. 6600 is 10% faster than 2060 but lacks RT and DLSS capabilities of 2060. Add 15 dollar more for 256 gb more ssd upto what you want. This is what bang for buck is. Below this config you are overpaying for many parts and underutilizing many parts.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That website just amalgamates specs so that you can easily spec out a system. You need to buy all the components yourself from the respective stores and then assemble it yourself when they all arrive.

You're on a gaming forum, so people are assuming that you want to build the system yourself and game on it.

I stand by my recommendation of a pre-built mini PC using a laptop/mobile CPU with iGPU. Whether you want to save money and get an older Zen 2 + GCN one, or a more capable but expensive one with Zen 3+ + RDNA 2 is up to you.

that build doesnt have a GPU. i think something like that is the best you're gonna do for under $500. So long as you don't mind having a regular desktop tower instead of a small form factor. I have faith in OP that he could assemble a computer.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So, with something like that, considering the way it's listed on the page, they send you those individual parts, and you hook it up yourself?
Yeah. That is usually the best way to get the most for your money. You can probably even shop around and find most of the parts on sale. If you want a pre-built then your best bet is refurbished dells as people have said, check Dell or places like staples.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Considering OP is going from an older PC, if you look on dellrefurbished.com, you can get an Optiplex 7070 PC with an 8th gen i7 (6 core 3.2ghz), and a Radeon R5 430, 32GB ram, and a 512GB SSD with Win 10 for about $319 bucks.

Just add this PC to the cart, add your shipping zip, and use code FEB23DEAL1 for $200 off, so it's $319 + free shipping + tax(if applicable). That's a pretty decent deal if you ask me, especially if it won't be used for heavy gaming.

You can always use your existing monitor, mouse, or keyboard or buy a new one.

Did a quick lookup on performance on this PC vs your A4-5000.
The PC from dell is a bit quicker. :)

zbJTVST.png

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
There's plenty of mini PC's like this between $200 - $300 that are more powerful than your current setup. Only problem with them is that they practically all come with Windows 11 (hate it compared to Windows 10) and any sort of manufacturer warranty can be dodgy. However, I am pretty sure you can still use older valid Windows keys for Win 7 or older from a retail system, and third party sellers traffick in keys for like $15 - $20:

If I needed something for very light usage like yourself, I'd probably go with this, and when I had a chance install Windows 10 on it.

Last edited:

Sonik

You buy these in a store separately and then you either assemble them yourself, ask for help from a friend that knows how to do it or give some money to someone you know, everyone has one. Btw don't trust anyone that doesn't recommend you the 5600G CPU, since you're not using the PC for gaming a good performance APU (CPU with a graphics card embedded pretty much) is the best solution and the 5600G is PERFECT value for money. The post you replied to has a great value for money setup, just know that it's a microATX one as in smaller PC that misses some stuff that imo aren't important to you. You can read more here: https://dotesports.com/hardware/news/atx-vs-micro-atx-motherboard-whats-the-difference

Btw if you want to save even more money do it from the case. There are some decent 30-40 dollar cases, they're not great but they do the job.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

You buy these in a store separately and then you either assemble them yourself, ask for help from a friend that knows how to do it or give some money to someone you know, everyone has one. Btw don't trust anyone that doesn't recommend you the 5600G CPU, since you're not using the PC for gaming a good performance APU (CPU with a graphics card embedded pretty much) is the best solution and the 5600G is PERFECT value for money. The post you replied to has a great value for money setup, just know that it's a microATX one as in smaller PC that misses some stuff that imo aren't important to you. You can read more here: https://dotesports.com/hardware/news/atx-vs-micro-atx-motherboard-whats-the-difference
Well, though I have no particular intent on using my PC for heavy game usage, I will say this: when I'm working in my DAW, it will monitor CPU usage, and often -- often -- tell me something to the effect of (paraphrasing, of course), "hey dumbass, your CPU's about to go tits-up, and I'm gonna crash because this old girl you've got running me on just ain't got it in her no more!"

And it's worse when editing in the video software.

Sonik

Well, though I have no particular intent on using my PC for heavy game usage, I will say this: when I'm working in my DAW, it will monitor CPU usage, and often -- often -- tell me something to the effect of (paraphrasing, of course), "hey dumbass, your CPU's about to go tits-up, and I'm gonna crash because this old girl you've got running me on just ain't got it in her no more!"

If you want a graphics card I recommend Ryzen 5600 CPU (not 5600G it's a different model without embedded graphics) and something like AMD 6500xt but that'll set you back around 170+ dollars, GPU prices are now fucking ridiculous and even low tier ones have awful prices

If budget is the main concern, just get a Raspberry Pi.
Even those are fucking expensive now. I bought a starter kit (board, case, sd card, power plug, hdmi cable) for like £50 a few years ago and now the board itself is £150 for a 4GB model or £210 for 8GB model.

i regret selling my old one. i wanted to get a newer model but fuck paying those prices.

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous

I don't think you should have any issues with the i7 (6 core) I mentioned above. It has enough ram to run a DAW and enough processing power. I would probably stay away from some 3rd party mini PC that you can grab on Amazon or wherever, as they are not really what you're looking for since you want a bit of a kick when using specific software. Because it also has a dedicated GPU, it should run many things your old PC had issues with. Yes, it's refurbished, but you still get a warranty with it, at a nice budget price.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Considering OP is going from an older PC, if you look on dellrefurbished.com, you can get an Optiplex 7070 PC with an 8th gen i7 (6 core 3.2ghz), and a Radeon R5 430, 32GB ram, and a 512GB SSD with Win 10 for about $319 bucks.

Just add this PC to the cart, add your shipping zip, and use code FEB23DEAL1 for $200 off, so it's $319 + free shipping + tax(if applicable). That's a pretty decent deal if you ask me, especially if it won't be used for heavy gaming.

zbJTVST.png

If you're willing to pay $300+ this may be one of the best choices. Back when I still had an office to go into, early 2020, my company switched to these Dells (not refurbished of course, but essentially the same models) and they were work horses. Way better than the HP PC's and laptops we used before

Last edited:

GeekyDad

zbJTVST.png
Sorry to revive this thread almost exactly a year later, but I'm now ready to push the button. Waited until I could pretty much wait no more. I clicked that link you provided, but unfortunately, looks like it's outdated. Any other recommendations from that site that fall within similar specs and price range?

Thank you

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Sorry to revive this thread almost exactly a year later, but I'm now ready to push the button. Waited until I could pretty much wait no more. I clicked that link you provided, but unfortunately, looks like it's outdated. Any other recommendations from that site that fall within similar specs and price range?

Thank you
Dell Optiplex 7080. i7 10th gen, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, radeon r5 430. it's $729. Use code PRESIDENT2024 to bring it down to about $393.
If you don't need the graphics card, you can go a bit lower with a an i7 8th gen, 16gb ram, 256ssd for $269.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Thank you
I'd argue a steam deck with a dock honestly.

XXL

Wtf is going on in this thread?

Unless I'm mistaken it sounds like he wants a PC for recording music and editing video.

If you're trying to run a DAW (for music), don't get a fucking Steam Deck. Lol.

You don't need a new PC for your needs.
What you need is a SSD HD and more RAM.
What is the brand and model of your system?

Assuming it's a laptop then likely your max is 16GB ram (2 sticks of new DDR3 laptop ram should run $25-30).
512 GB SSD for $50 for your OS + some games if you want
Keep the external HDD for music/vids archive.

My newest laptop is a e-waste core i5 4200, 16GB ram & 250GB SSD and it's running windows 11 flawlessly for $50 CAD :messenger_beaming:

Griffon

but I have to go easy on her, or programs start to crash, browsers close, etc.
Just buy more ram and you should be fine. You clearly don't have enough money for anything much better.

If the problems persist, big chances are this is not a hardware issue, but a software one

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Dell Optiplex 7080. i7 10th gen, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd, radeon r5 430. it's $729. Use code PRESIDENT2024 to bring it down to about $393.
If you don't need the graphics card, you can go a bit lower with a an i7 8th gen, 16gb ram, 256ssd for $269.

Yeah, gonna definitely need that video card.

You don't need a new PC for your needs.
What you need is a SSD HD and more RAM.
What is the brand and model of your system?

Assuming it's a laptop then likely your max is 16GB ram (2 sticks of new DDR3 laptop ram should run $25-30).
512 GB SSD for $50 for your OS + some games if you want
Keep the external HDD for music/vids archive.

My newest laptop is a e-waste core i5 4200, 16GB ram & 250GB SSD and it's running windows 11 flawlessly for $50 CAD :messenger_beaming:

Processor AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 1.50 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.45 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I copied that from the settings. It's an HP desktop.

And honestly, simply upgrading like you suggest would be ideal. Then, I wouldn't have to worry about migrating all of my crap over to a new PC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom