• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation's corporate location and organization is a huge disadvantage.

Bryank75

Banned
As we all know, Sony is a Japanese company but has many elements located in California, particularly their gaming, film, television and much of its music.

Unfortunately Japan has been economically tempestuous over the past few decades, going through deep and extended recession and the country's currency is very volatile and can badly impact exports if it increases in value....

Recent example;

Quote;

"Japanese shares fell on Monday as concerns of slow economic growth due to the highly contagious Delta variant of COVID-19 weighed on investor sentiment, while market heavyweights Toyota Motor and Sony Group dropped due to a stronger yen."

However, as mentioned previously, PlayStation management is located in California.... which is natural, as it is a hotbed for creative talent and hosts many of the heavyweight AAA studios along with related entertainment industries which have more and more crossover with gaming.

It has however politicized the company to a large amount, alienated the Japanese and wider Asian audience, led to a huge decrease in the amount of investment in Japanese games and led to censorious policies that angers fans and people who consider gaming a form of art.
This is just the tip of the iceberg though and it places the company in a precarious position during a critical time, where to sides of the political divide are viciously attacking each-other and companies such as Disney and Gillette have seen massive damage to their brands through politically motivated content.

This puts PlayStation in an odd position where it has all of the disadvantages of being a Japanese company and very few of the benefits and all of the disadvantages of being located in California, with, again very few of the benefits.

This can also be seen with the relentless attacks from the gaming media recently, the relocation to California has not benefited them at all in this regard and they appear to be more of an outsider than ever now.

Contrary to the aims of becoming a global company that was espoused by Jim Ryan, it seems less global now.... with less Japanese influence. The Japanese history and management of the company always gave the brand more global appeal than it currently has and it seems to me like the personality, attitude and engagement of the past has been stripped away.... the current method of engagement are the bland State of Plays with a personality-less, disembodies voice that is emblematic of the companies issues at present.

Disclaimer: This is not a political thread, it is to be focused on the geographical location of PlayStation and how it puts them at a disadvantage and how it has put a wedge between PlayStation and it's fans / customers.

Yoboman

Season 3 Puzzle GIF by The Simpsons

sublimit

Banned
I swear to God i knew this was a Bryank75 Bryank75 just by reading the title. :pie_eyeroll:

As for the topic i always hated their move to California personally but i also understand how much more sense it makes for them with how the industry has changed in the last 10-15 years.

Contrary to the aims of becoming a global company that was espoused by Jim Ryan, it seems less global now.... with less Japanese influence. The Japanese history and management of the company always gave the brand more global appeal than it currently has and it seems to me like the personality, attitude and engagement of the past has been stripped away.... the current method of engagement are the bland State of Plays with a personality-less, disembodies voice that is emblematic of the companies issues at present.

Wuuuuuuut!!!!!!!!!???!!!!

How are you measuring this?

In almost every conceivable, measurable metric, the Playstation brand is at an all-time high, and sales of both hardware and software are currently record-breaking everywhere but Japan (and that's more of a Japan-wide industry shift away from home consoles to portables that started generations ago).

Withnail

During the PS3 era it was quite common to see PS fans wishing that SCEA (as it was known at the time) would take over global operations. This was especially true of European gamers who largely hated SCEE. I always thought that Sony's decentralised structure was a major strength but I guess there were good business reasons to consolidate.

I don't really get the hand wringing over Sony's communication though, their game dev pipeline has clearly been impacted by Covid but we know there are plenty of games coming and Sony putting on a show won't make development go any faster. Most gamers seem to get more hyped for announcements than releases which is weird.

Elysion

Banned
I always thought Playstation HQ should be located in Europe – probably either Britain or France. That’s always been their strongest market, and Europe does have a large gaming industry with lots of talent (especially in the aforementioned countries, though others like Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Poland and the Netherlands have some good studios too).

Last edited:

yurinka

As we all know, Sony is a Japanese company but has many elements located in California, particularly their gaming, film, television and much of its music.
I didn't know Guerrilla, Media Molecule, Housemarque, London Studio, Nixxes, XDEV, Team Asobi, Polyphony Digital, Malaysia Studio or the (Japanese) SIE Headquarters and dozens of PlayStation country or regional offices spread around the world plus their non CA USA studios were located in California.

However, as mentioned previously, PlayStation management is located in California....
No, what is located in California is the American SIE HQ, which isn't the only one: there's also a Japanese SIE HQ, located where Sony HQ is: in Japan. Sony is a Japanese global corporation with its management spread around the world, and same happens with SIE/PlayStation.

It has however politicized the company to a large amount, alienated the Japanese and wider Asian audience, led to a huge decrease in the amount of investment in Japanese games and led to censorious policies that angers fans and people who consider gaming a form of art.
Fake news.

There has not been a decrease in Japanese games investment and Sony doesn't censor games, there's a Japanese age rating regulation for retail games published and main retailers don't buy certain rating/content, so they need to be 'censored' if want to be published there. This is why these games are also censored in the other platorms when published in retail (if these other versions also got a retail version) and why these games aren't 'censored' on PlayStation (and the other platforms) outside Japan, even if may be 'censored' in some other countries to avoid sensitive topics in Germany, China and so on and to follow related local regulations. Some devs decide that instead of making country specific versions they 'censor' all the versions of the game, or don't release it in Japan (at least in retail).

When the Japanese version of a certain game only on PlayStation, it's because it's the only version published there or at least in retail.

This puts PlayStation in an odd position where it has all of the disadvantages of being a Japanese company and very few of the benefits and all of the disadvantages of being located in California, with, again very few of the benefits.
Bullshit. First, PlayStation (and Sony) has some offices in California but has way more across the world since it's a (Japanese) global corporation. Second it isn't in any odd position: they are breaking historical records of revenue generated by a console maker, consoles sold and games sold for their consoles.

This can also be seen with the relentless attacks from the gaming media recently, the relocation to California has not benefited them at all in this regard and they appear to be more of an outsider than ever now.
I don't understand why some people in USA believe they are the center of the world and that "USA=world". The main PlayStation market of the world is Europe, not USA. The main gaming (as a whole, including console, PC and mobile) market of the world is China, not USA. Sony doesn't give a fuck if some American sjw gaming sites are upset with them if PlayStation keeps breaking historical records in the main areas.

Contrary to the aims of becoming a global company that was espoused by Jim Ryan, it seems less global now.... with less Japanese influence.
It has been a global company for decades, even when making games before PlayStation. You try to make a drama of them downsizing/restructuring Japan Studio when it's a tiny part of the PS business and even of their Japanese exclusives, which will continue coming. And that includes 1st and 2nd party games from the teams resulting of the restructing of Japan Studio.

In fact, considering Jimbo and Hermen said they want to grow in Asia, that want to continue with acquisitions, that they will have more exclusives than ever, that want to grow in PC and mobile, that they are growing all their teams and than they are strengtening bonds with Japanese companies it's pretty likely that they will have this generation with more Japanese exclusive games published than ever did in any previous generation, and maybe even having acquired some Japanese studio(s).

The Japanese history and management of the company always gave the brand more global appeal than it currently has and it seems to me like the personality, attitude and engagement of the past has been stripped away....
The numbers say it now makes more money, sells more consoles and more games than ever did, so now appeals more the people as ever did.

the current method of engagement are the bland State of Plays with a personality-less, disembodies voice that is emblematic of the companies issues at present.
Their current marketing and communication strategy not only caused them to have historical records in revenue, consoles or games sold, but also in several historical social media records for any gaming company. Which leads to think it's the correct strategy or at least the best one they and the other console makers ever had.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I'm very concerned about...whoa look at that!

hot girl si swimsuit 2017 GIF by Sports Illustrated Swimsuit
Meh, no need to cover. Being topless should be human right. But in most EU countries it's quite normal....thankfully with younger people.

Also when I was nearing 136kg/300 pounds, most I ever had, I too went topless with my man boobs. Thankfully they are now gone.

Sorry for OT, keep up the good work Bryank75 Bryank75

Woopah

Sony is less Japan focused than before that's true and it will cost them in Asia. But everywhere else they are very strong and their first party is more successful now than it ever has been.

The whole 'political' rubbish is something people on the internet complain about but the mass market isn't fussed.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Wait till you see my upcoming 'back to school merchandising' thread....

Xbox have put in a massive effort with school bags, note pads, flasks, clothes etc etc in most stores in Ireland.

I only found kids pajamas for PlayStation.... and I actually tore them trying to get them to fit me.

Very disappointed!
That's because it's for kids that are kids physically and not mentally.

AlexxKidd

Unfortunately Japan has been economically tempestuous over the past few decades, going through deep and extended recession and the country's currency is very volatile and can badly impact exports if it increases in value....

Recent example;

Quote;

"Japanese shares fell on Monday as concerns of slow economic growth due to the highly contagious Delta variant of COVID-19 weighed on investor sentiment, while market heavyweights Toyota Motor and Sony Group dropped due to a stronger yen."

However, as mentioned previously, PlayStation management is located in California.... which is natural, as it is a hotbed for creative talent and hosts many of the heavyweight AAA studios along with related entertainment industries which have more and more crossover with gaming.

This is just the tip of the iceberg though and it places the company in a precarious position during a critical time, where to sides of the political divide are viciously attacking each-other and companies such as Disney and Gillette have seen massive damage to their brands through politically motivated content.

Disclaimer: This is not a political thread, it is to be focused on the geographical location of PlayStation and how it puts them at a disadvantage and how it has put a wedge between PlayStation and it's fans / customers.

craig-no-need-to-be-upset.gif

Faithless83

Banned

Recent example;

Quote;

Based on th Xbox presentation... it's industry wide and (for now) there is no way around it.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The reason why they are based in San Mateo is pretty obvious btw Bryank75 Bryank75 .

San Mateo is where PSN has been headquartered since 2010, which was setup as a response to the PSN hack in 2010. They moved PSN to where most of the major internet tech companies are - the California Bay Area. (And it worked, no big hacks since.)

PSN is responsible for about 66% of PlayStation's revenue each year. Its the core of their business and they need to be where the best talent is. Same reason why they have studios in California. Its the center of the entire game dev industry.

"Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) founded in April 2010, drives the vision, strategy and execution for network services across Sony Group, to offer consumers compelling, connected entertainment experiences across a variety of network enabled devices. Headquartered out of San Mateo, California SNEI’s operations span globally across San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, London, Tokyo and more."

"Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) and Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI) announced the formation of Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC (SIE), a new company that joins the forces of all business units belonging to SCE and SNEI, including hardware, software, content and network services operations. SIE will be headquartered in San Mateo, California, the United States, while also establishing key global business operations in Tokyo and London, beginning Friday, April 1, 2016."

Agent X

I don't necessarily think relocating the SIE "headquarters" to the US is a bad thing in and of itself. However, there do seem to be aspects of their operation that have deteriorated over the last few years.

They seem particularly bad at communication. They have their PlayStation.Blog, which has been a great tool, but they don't make the best use of it.

What happened to "The Drop" that they used to post each week, to announce the new games that would be released within the coming week?

Remember the PS3 era, when they had little video features like Qore and Pulse that you could look forward to each month? They do have State of Play, but these seem very infrequent, and are sometimes announced on very short notice.

If they're going to skip out on industry-wide events like E3 and Gamescom, then the least they could do is have a big showcase (much bigger than the State of Play that they do occasionally) at least once a year, but preferably two or more times a year.

GuinGuin

Banned
I don't necessarily think relocating the SIE "headquarters" to the US is a bad thing in and of itself. However, there do seem to be aspects of their operation that have deteriorated over the last few years.

They seem particularly bad at communication. They have their PlayStation.Blog, which has been a great tool, but they don't make the best use of it.

What happened to "The Drop" that they used to post each week, to announce the new games that would be released within the coming week?

Remember the PS3 era, when they had little video features like Qore and Pulse that you could look forward to each month? They do have State of Play, but these seem very infrequent, and are sometimes announced on very short notice.

If they're going to skip out on industry-wide events like E3 and Gamescom, then the least they could do is have a big showcase (much bigger than the State of Play that they do occasionally) at least once a year, but preferably two or more times a year.

They make big games that take a long time to create. They don't want to show them 1000 times before they launch so they have made the choice to limit their previews and it has the added effect of giving each game more breathing room and attention once it is actually close to release.

ZywyPL

Banned
Japan doesn't care about Playstation anymore, and Playstation doesn't care about Japan, seems fair enough.

Seriously, how many PS vs Japan threads a month do we really need? This is getting really tiresome, someone needs to make a OT to concentrate all the "concerned" folks who still cannot see the market situation in Japan even when Famitsu posts them on a weekly basis.

Bryank75

Banned

I agree with those points, well put.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The weirdest Angles to try and make this company lesser than what they are is laughable.

They've been damn near the best most of their time in the industry and are right on track despite the ever changing climate where mountains are being made out of mole hills.

It's going to be ok and you should be happy the industry as a whole us thriving.

Top Bottom