• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation welcomes Housemarque to the family

Kokoloko85

closing evolution was one of the worst mistakes Sony made last gen, only second to not giving Ready at Dawn another chance

studio died because driveclub was boring. They should have never given up on motorstorm

Yep.
I did enjoy Driveclub just wish it was 60fps. I did like Motorstorm too. Its a genre Playstation is missing right now

Just realised Ready at Dawn was bought by Oculus, yeah they should of got another chance

Battle Royale games are a dime a dozen. not saying stormdivers wouldn't done some stuff different enough for it to stand out. but there is countless upon countless of these type of games. It would of gotten lost in a sea of that genre so I'm grateful we got returnal instead.

images
This is with mustaches like these that you end up with painting like this:
Napoleons-Nose-Dali.jpg

kyoji

Not sure if posted already but its a good read, couple teasers from Ilari Kuittinen of what they (housemarque) are looking to do next, and Hermen hulst talks about how they share tech in house (world wide studios) even using a studio head 'forum' to relay information.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
closing evolution was one of the worst mistakes Sony made last gen, only second to not giving Ready at Dawn another chance

studio died because driveclub was boring. They should have never given up on motorstorm
I think there was a little more to it than that. I remember hearing all kinds of things about the development troubles within Evolution at the time Driveclub was being made. Keep in mind that game was delayed for an entire year and still released with issues that should have been resolved in that delay time. They lost a director of the game who claimed personal reasons. The people that were laid off from Evolution and didn't find themselves back with SIE somewhere else joined Codemasters as their own team and made Onrush. Which did so poorly that even after just one game some of the old Evolution team, including the director who finished Driveclub, were let go. The rest were relegated to being support staff.

So it seems to me that the leadership within PlayStation didn't have confidence in the Evolution team at a time when racing games were dying down in popularity. This seems to have been proven a correct assessment based on their performance at Codemasters. Multiple studios that made racing games felt redundant to Sony during the PS4 era and Evolution couldn't convince them they were worth it. The MotorStorm games, if I recall correctly, were critically well received but each entry sold significantly fewer copies than the one before. To the point where they were selling sub-1 million copies compared to the 3 million+ of the original. At the end of the day, they weren't worth the cost to PlayStation's leaders.

As far as Ready at Dawn, I'm guessing The Order was highly embarrassing to Sony. They marketed the game quite well. Had all the confidence in the world in the developers. Even sat the head of the studio at panels during PSX with other prominent Sony developers. Then the game released and it was bad. Like, really disappointing after the hype. They spent so much time working on the engine and visual polish that the game ultimately suffered. It was one of the worst PlayStation games of the generation. The relationship between the two companies quickly died and they followed that game up with another stinker that did even worse. Then released a great VR title right after and, from what I understand, ended up in long term contracts with Facebook that ultimately led to acquisition. Even if Sony wanted to buy them it would likely have been quite some time before anything would come from it.

I think there was a little more to it than that. I remember hearing all kinds of things about the development troubles within Evolution at the time Driveclub was being made. Keep in mind that game was delayed for an entire year and still released with issues that should have been resolved in that delay time. They lost a director of the game who claimed personal reasons. The people that were laid off from Evolution and didn't find themselves back with SIE somewhere else joined Codemasters as their own team and made Onrush. Which did so poorly that even after just one game some of the old Evolution team, including the director who finished Driveclub, were let go. The rest were relegated to being support staff.

So it seems to me that the leadership within PlayStation didn't have confidence in the Evolution team at a time when racing games were dying down in popularity. This seems to have been proven a correct assessment based on their performance at Codemasters. Multiple studios that made racing games felt redundant to Sony during the PS4 era and Evolution couldn't convince them they were worth it. The MotorStorm games, if I recall correctly, were critically well received but each entry sold significantly fewer copies than the one before. To the point where they were selling sub-1 million copies compared to the 3 million+ of the original. At the end of the day, they weren't worth the cost to PlayStation's leaders.

As far as Ready at Dawn, I'm guessing The Order was highly embarrassing to Sony. They marketed the game quite well. Had all the confidence in the world in the developers. Even sat the head of the studio at panels during PSX with other prominent Sony developers. Then the game released and it was bad. Like, really disappointing after the hype. They spent so much time working on the engine and visual polish that the game ultimately suffered. It was one of the worst PlayStation games of the generation. The relationship between the two companies quickly died and they followed that game up with another stinker that did even worse. Then released a great VR title right after and, from what I understand, ended up in long term contracts with Facebook that ultimately led to acquisition. Even if Sony wanted to buy them it would likely have been quite some time before anything would come from it.

You may be right about Evolution. You can never really tell without having first hand knowledge of these situations. However, I think moving to an online-focused social game and a next-gen title was just a difficult transition in general, and maybe Sony should have given them a bit more leash..

I do think "DriveClub" was a mistake (despite ultimately being a good game after the updates). I think that early in a gen it's better to have more conservative titles. They should have made a next-gen MotorStorm title and then added on more social stuff over time. Either way I'm not hugely gutted just because racers really aren't my thing, but I loved the physics based arcadey action they were going for with motorstorm. DriveClub really didn't do much for me in comparison.

"The Order" is a case of a traditional handheld studio (like Bend) with normal AAA growing pains. They went from PSP games to a damn PS4 title. That's not an easy transition. The actual title they made has a very good core - absolutely beautiful, solid mechanics. It just was way too short, lacked too much diversity of gameplay systems and progression, and felt like Gears-lite. I think if Sony had given them a leash as long as they did with Bend to execute ambitiously on their vision, it may have had a much different result. For sure, the Metacritic was embarrassing, but underneath the talent was still there at the studio. All of their handheld God of War games were great.

I guess maybe Sony learned with Bend to be more patient. Thankfully they did not get closed down like RAD and are giving them a chance to grow now that they are "up to speed" on how to make big AAA games.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I’m glad, the studio always made great games, hopefully the studio will keep managing their arcade legacy and keep experimenting

ugh I keep repeating myself, why the Evolution studios closed. Motorstorm apocalypse bombed, then driveclub with the online gameplay fiasco that took over a month to be fixed. Sony had 2 racing studios, one has an IP that is the PlayStation racing game while evolution studios games were “drifting”… meaning no identity

About ready at dawn,
I remember the hate the game had even before it was launched, console wars were being made for example, complaining why are there so many alleys and close spaces - it’s London!!!
there was hype about the graphics and setting, then hate because it was a PlayStation exclusive and in the end the game felt very scripted and not organic

I can see why an IP with great potential was tossed aside.

also this needs historical context this was in the transition from ps3 to ps4 where many many people though Xbox already won and PlayStation would pull out of the gaming industry.

PS3 had a very devastating effect on the studios own by Sony.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

this is a good summary of what happened. However, you cannot cut ties with studios because of one bad game. The order was awful. one of the worst games ever because of its lack of gameplay and big focus on cinematics, but thats an easy fix. you sit down those guys and tell them to get their shit together and release a game with more gameplay than cutscenes next time around.

ready at dawn made two fantastic gameplay driven god of war games and introduced two really awesome weapons. they know their shit.

DC wasnt even that bad. it is by no means a 70 metacritic game. it had some online issues at launch but the game ran well, didnt crash and had no bugs other than the online stuff not working. it was pretty much all sorted out within a couple of months and within half a year had sold over 2 million copies. i really dont understand how sony can look at both games and lose confidence. especially when they were selling a record number of ps4s and ps+ subs.

Jim Ryan and Herman Hurst get a lot of blame, but Shawn Layden and Andrew House were no angels either. Sony shutdown Guerrila Cambridge around the same time. What was wrong with KZ vita? definitely a much better game than KZ Shadowfall if they believe in metacritic so much. I think sony was in a weird spot last gen. its almost like they didnt believe in their own studios anymore. Zipper and Incognito were shutdown at the end of the PS3 gen despite the insane reception of the PS4 reveal. Stig and Amy Henning were let go. SSM's game in development for 4 years was cancelled. All under Andrew House and Jack Tretton's watch.

Shawn Layden said something insane like he didnt have any first party online shooters because he didnt want to compete with his third party partners like activision and EA. That is absolutely insane. If that was the thought process behind killing Zipper, GG Cambridge, Incognito and Evolution Studios then I am happy Layden was unceremoniously let go. At least Sony is investing in online shooters again.

I think PS3-era Sony had the best IPs and ideas. So many new IPs and genres. Despite how good the PS4 library is, it is somewhat less charming.

this is a good summary of what happened. However, you cannot cut ties with studios because of one bad game. The order was awful. one of the worst games ever because of its lack of gameplay and big focus on cinematics, but thats an easy fix. you sit down those guys and tell them to get their shit together and release a game with more gameplay than cutscenes next time around.

ready at dawn made two fantastic gameplay driven god of war games and introduced two really awesome weapons. they know their shit.

DC wasnt even that bad. it is by no means a 70 metacritic game. it had some online issues at launch but the game ran well, didnt crash and had no bugs other than the online stuff not working. it was pretty much all sorted out within a couple of months and within half a year had sold over 2 million copies. i really dont understand how sony can look at both games and lose confidence. especially when they were selling a record number of ps4s and ps+ subs.

Jim Ryan and Herman Hurst get a lot of blame, but Shawn Layden and Andrew House were no angels either. Sony shutdown Guerrila Cambridge around the same time. What was wrong with KZ vita? definitely a much better game than KZ Shadowfall if they believe in metacritic so much. I think sony was in a weird spot last gen. its almost like they didnt believe in their own studios anymore. Zipper and Incognito were shutdown at the end of the PS3 gen despite the insane reception of the PS4 reveal. Stig and Amy Henning were let go. SSM's game in development for 4 years was cancelled. All under Andrew House and Jack Tretton's watch.

Shawn Layden said something insane like he didnt have any first party online shooters because he didnt want to compete with his third party partners like activision and EA. That is absolutely insane. If that was the thought process behind killing Zipper, GG Cambridge, Incognito and Evolution Studios then I am happy Layden was unceremoniously let go. At least Sony is investing in online shooters again.

Feels like Sony wasn't really confident doubling down on their lesser known studios. Which was a HUGE, HUGE mistake in retrospect. It has put them in a bind since their AAA studios take so damn long now to make games.

Imagine if Ready at Dawn got another chance at a new IP, but this time got their shit together, had like 6+ years (like Bend or Sucker Punch got)...they could have EASILY been the next Sony Santa Monica and would likely have a PS5 launch window title ready.

Imagine if they gave the Killzone franchise to Cambridge and they released a next-gen Killzone game while GG was free to work on Horizon 2? I think that would have sold tons, the studio was talented as hell.

But nope...one flop and they were cutting ties completely. Makes no long-term strategic sense. The worst thing to do is cut losses after one bad title when sometimes that was out of their control (Vita was a flop, and expectations were set way too high with RAD to deliver early on with PS4). They should have considered the "losses" in those studios as an "investment" into growing them into something bigger and better for the future. There's ALWAYS lessons learned here. Unless the studios flat out suck, there's no reason to cut ties and shut them down when gaming went through an explosion of growth with PS4.

Too damn conservative and now they are playing catch up. At least Hermen and Jimbo seem to be recognizing this and doing the best they can to fix it and sign tons of studios.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Feels like Sony wasn't really confident doubling down on their lesser known studios. Which was a HUGE, HUGE mistake in retrospect. It has put them in a bind since their AAA studios take so damn long now to make games.

Imagine if Ready at Dawn got another chance at a new IP, but this time got their shit together, had like 6+ years (like Bend or Sucker Punch got)...they could have EASILY been the next Sony Santa Monica and would likely have a PS5 launch window title ready.

Imagine if they gave the Killzone franchise to Cambridge and they released a next-gen Killzone game while GG was free to work on Horizon 2? I think that would have sold tons, the studio was talented as hell.

But nope...one flop and they were cutting ties completely. Makes no long-term strategic sense. The worst thing to do is cut losses after one bad title when sometimes that was out of their control (Vita was a flop, and expectations were set way too high with RAD to deliver early on with PS4). They should have considered the "losses" in those studios as an "investment" into growing them into something bigger and better for the future. There's ALWAYS lessons learned here. Unless the studios flat out suck, there's no reason to cut ties and shut them down when gaming went through an explosion of growth with PS4.

Too damn conservative and now they are playing catch up. At least Hermen and Jimbo seem to be recognizing this and doing the best they can to fix it and sign tons of studios.
yep. If they hadnt acquired Insomniac last year, and MS had instead, their launch window lineup would look pretty barebones.

I look at how Forza Horizon became the premiere Forza franchise thanks to MS's backing. The franchise was pretty meh until they reached critical and commercial success with the THIRD game. DC had issues, but it had a cult following and great sales for a year 1 arcade racer. I have no doubt it wouldve matched Forza Horizon's success had Sony let them use the Gran Turismo name. Hell, look at PubG's rise and how quickly Epic ape'd it. If Sony had Zipper, they couldve easily made Socom Battle Royale and made billions. they already had 256 player online tech back in the ps3 era.

Say what you will about Jimbo and Herman but I agree they seem to be recognizing the gaps in their first party lineups and realizing that you cant just pigeonhole your studios into third person cinematic action games. It seems Insomniac and GG are both hiring for multiplayer which is great news for Resistance and KZ MP fans. Locking up Housemarque is great and forward thinking, and i hope we see the same tomorrow morning for bluepoint.

Investing in ex-Bungie and ex-Treyarch devs is also very smart. Talent is talent, and i have no doubt these guys will make great games even if they dont set the charts on fire or win goty awards. Just wish they had done all this two years ago so we would have had some games to play this holiday season and next.

Varteras

Gold Member
You may be right about Evolution. You can never really tell without having first hand knowledge of these situations. However, I think moving to an online-focused social game and a next-gen title was just a difficult transition in general, and maybe Sony should have given them a bit more leash..

I do think "DriveClub" was a mistake (despite ultimately being a good game after the updates). I think that early in a gen it's better to have more conservative titles. They should have made a next-gen MotorStorm title and then added on more social stuff over time. Either way I'm not hugely gutted just because racers really aren't my thing, but I loved the physics based arcadey action they were going for with motorstorm. DriveClub really didn't do much for me in comparison.

"The Order" is a case of a traditional handheld studio (like Bend) with normal AAA growing pains. They went from PSP games to a damn PS4 title. That's not an easy transition. The actual title they made has a very good core - absolutely beautiful, solid mechanics. It just was way too short, lacked too much diversity of gameplay systems and progression, and felt like Gears-lite. I think if Sony had given them a leash as long as they did with Bend to execute ambitiously on their vision, it may have had a much different result. For sure, the Metacritic was embarrassing, but underneath the talent was still there at the studio. All of their handheld God of War games were great.

I guess maybe Sony learned with Bend to be more patient. Thankfully they did not get closed down like RAD and are giving them a chance to grow now that they are "up to speed" on how to make big AAA games.
Oh for sure there are things that go on at these studios all the time that we just don't ever know about and to us on the outside it seems silly that a closure happened. There could have been paths Sony and Evolution took to avoid the issues that eventually happened but that would require foresight to know which path to take and which would lead to a bad outcome. That's not easy to do, especially with Sony being mostly hands off when it comes to what their studios do. Evolution's fate was in its own hands and it blew it, sadly.

I agree with both of you that Ready at Dawn had potential that Sony should have been mindful of but I'm sure they had spent a lot of money on The Order to watch it flop hard. That likely left a very bad taste in their mouths and they weren't eager to jump back on that train. RaD's game after The Order, Deformers, was bad too and no one took notice of it. Sony clearly had knowledge of its existence since it was on PS4 among other platforms. So to them they may have started feeling like RaD may not be the same one anymore that made those great handheld games.

Very likely that right after The Order, RaD secured a deal with Facebook and got tied up doing Lone Echo for Occulus in addition to working on Deformers. So they were already at a point where Sony could have drawn up a new exclusive contract with them at the very least but it would have taken years for them to get started on it and they were not impressed at all with their last two games. So why risk more money like that when they could spend it on another team they felt more confident in? Sony has a lot of money but not so much to be interested in continuously throwing it at a studio and hoping they don't drop another bomb.

As far as other studios that were shut down, well each one has a story. Cambridge had been a very mediocre studio for a long time. I'm honestly surprised that studio lasted long enough to be able to make any Vita or VR games. That shut down was overdue. Incognito wasn't shut down by Sony because of performance or anything like that. They shut it down in 2009, well before the end of PS3, because of a mass exodus of its staff. It got to the point where there were so few people left that it didn't make sense for Sony to go through the trouble of trying to hire more people to work at a studio in Utah. I mean, they would have basically been building a whole new team from scratch at that point. So they opted to just shut it down. Whatever Incognito had been was already gone.

Zipper was a case of a studio that showed a ton of promise falling flat on its face for 6 years immediately after being acquired. Their games were not well received with critics and didn't sell well either. The issue at Santa Monica with Stig's project was that it never met its development milestones. Even Shuhei Yoshida, when questioned about the project, would give answers that didn't sound very encouraging of its status. Stig dropped the ball as director repeatedly on the project and this was at a time when Sony was taking lessons from Kaz Hirai on when to cut losses instead of the old ways that threatened to bankrupt the whole company.

I have no idea what happened with Amy Hennig but seeing as how well Naughty Dog has done without her and that her only actual accomplishment since leaving Sony was being a writer for Battlefield: Hardline about 6 years ago, I'm not sure they lost much there. All I have is hearsay on this matter, but I was under the impression that she became very difficult to work with and acted as though she were above reproach or criticism. Something happened but it ultimately worked out in the end for Sony.

As far as Layden goes, he said some things that certainly bothered me. I got the impression that his goal, if he had his way, would be to focus PlayStation studios into working on just a handful of massive projects and let third parties fill in the gaps. It sounded like he wanted each PlayStation game to be this monumental event that only happens once every so often. The consequences of which would have been terribly obvious. One failed game would have been catastrophic and once landing on a specific winning formula, that would be the only formula they used to avoid a failure. If anyone thought their first party was one-dimensional now, you wouldn't have seen anything until that happened.

You are not completely wrong, though it should be noted that Sony were barely recovering from the PS3 financial disaster, so their "let's give them another chance" margin had almost vanished. If they had more money, I admit that you would have been looking at 18-20 studios today. I do not doubt however that Sony has a pretty amazing pool of second party network to draw from, with established teams and -people seem to forget it- new ones that see the light, formed by ambitious indies and veterans who have decided to leave other publishers. It always seem to me that discussions embrace the tacit premisse that there is a fixed pool to draw from, and that MS using its buy left and right tactic will crush Sony. The truth is that the landscape is changing constantly, with a perpetual flux of comers and goers. Who is to say thet the next massive IP is not being conceived by a struggling indie somewhere, at this very moment?
As much as being deprived of a handful of multiplat franchises sucks, one has to realize that MS had no chance of competing against Sony without such a power move (even with the 15 studios they had); That their betting it all on the Netflix model forces them to massively increase their output; and that they will probably not stop anytime soon.
Sony should continue its current strategy. Fostering potential candidates, partnering with them, seeing how they fare and how they jive with the rest of the Playstation company, and working on maintaining their very high standards. Also, they have to continue building on the incredible integration they have in place (Sound devs that help out everybody, mocap studios, The Ice team, technology sharing, XDev that targets new canidates...).

Last edited:
Very nice. I can't wait to play Returnal hopefully this year.

Just hope Sony doesn't can them for no good reason.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Given Sony’s current trend, PC versions are still highly likely.
Years later, maybe.
But Housemarque seems satisfied so hopefully something good will come out of this. They’ve been around since the C64 days in some way or form under different names so Sony better take good care of these guys.

ZywyPL

Banned
While some of these seem extremely unlikely, at least TLOU is already being remade by Naughty Dog.

That's just a rumor tho, or has it been officially confirmed? Either way BP, or ND using sequel's engine, the game would've been in a very good hands.

Akuji

I remember everyone Was negative on returnal....

Lol now everyone Loves them. Funny how that works. Returnal is great and it will be Among the first games i play when my home Theater is in a state that i can play in. But they Releases Quality games for over a decade. Shouldve been known much sooner as a top dog in the biz. Atleast by gaf User.

Awesome Addition to Sony.

RGB'D

With SONY's love of remakes and re-releases, Bluepoint has to be next. Love the Housemarque pick up. Returnal has a lot of warts (how is there still not a fucking save?) But is still a really fun well put together game. Excited for their next project.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's just a rumor tho, or has it been officially confirmed? Either way BP, or ND using sequel's engine, the game would've been in a very good hands.
Not officially confirmed, but Jason leaked it, so it is pretty much a done deal. The guy is almost never wrong. I expect we will see the trailer in a few weeks, in the next big Sony event.

It didn't.
Bethesda has not made anything worthwhile in 10 years or so (Skyrim). Everything else has been buggy messes of outdated tech with interesting lore.

The first thing MS should have done is to force them to adopt ID tech or some decent engine, restart the projects with that base instead of making another fallout 76 style disaster.

Akuji

Bethesda has not made anything worthwhile in 10 years or so (Skyrim). Everything else has been buggy messes of outdated tech with interesting lore.

The first thing MS should have done is to force them to adopt ID tech or some decent engine, restart the projects with that base instead of making another fallout 76 style disaster.
Wow ...

Bethesda had doom and dishonored also wolfenstein.
Awesome games.

But i would personally also prefer bluepoint, housemarque and insomniac

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Come on, studio died because they messed up the launch with a broken part of the main selling point of the game, and took months to fix, but what turned out to be a well polished game after.

That was probably a symptom of more underlying causes internally.

I think PS3-era Sony had the best IPs and ideas. So many new IPs and genres. Despite how good the PS4 library is, it is somewhat less charming.

True - PS4 library is great but they took so many risks in PS3 era (through some of them ended up being duds) and there was lot more medium sized games instead of just blockbusters like they do now.

Top Bottom