• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation welcomes Housemarque to the family

Spitfire098

Love me some organic growth
fail growing up GIF by Return-It Gang

Never really cared for Housemarques games but have not tried Returnal yet either . They should put out some quality titles down the line I imagine . Kind of a wait and see type thing for me though.

Kokoloko85

it seems people are taking my comment the wrong way.

I am not mocking them or anything. Sony did a great job acquiring them. Marquise is a talented studio. And will help cover certain areas Sony is lacking.

My main issue with Sony is the lack of other genre. Compared to Microsoft future output, Sony can't match them with those genre.

While God of war 2, Spiderman 2, and Horizon forbidden west will make them a success, its not enough for people like me. I like different genre. Not the same 3rd person narrative story driven.

How about a prey type game. A shooter game, or even a horror game, which isn't a zombie. Something like amnesia.

These types of the games people like. I want them to give us those games. Just like how ps1-3 gave us great diversity games.

God of War, Spiderman and Horizon are not the same type of games.
Let me guess, you probably think Bloodborne and Uncharted are the same because they are 3rd person?

And to your older comment, as much as I love Nintendo, they arent doing anything new lol or branching out. They are making amazing games though

Promising acquisition. I don't know how interested Housemarque are in doing reboots/remakes but I would love to see them do a modern version of Omega Boost. That's a pretty underrated game on the PS1 and it would fit Housemarque's design ethos like a glove. Also a lot they could do with it story-wise given the sci-fi mech elements, even perhaps bridge a timeline between Omega Boost and Returnal being in some shared universe?

Or maybe, Housemarque would be interested in reviving something like Mark of Kri to fill in the template God of War used to occupy, but as a mid-tier initiative, or bringing back something really unexpected like Wipeout. But that's as far as classic Sony-owned IP I think Housemarque would be interested in working with given the type of games they've made so far, unless they would want to expand out further and try something crazy with, say, The Getaway, but I don't think there's a lot of nostalgia there and in that case they could just do a new IP instead with those ideas.

In any case, I'm interested to see where this goes for the future.

I am happy for Housemarque, I feel they are getting the most out of this.

07d827d1383d4f44ba4a86406b9049de.jpg

Just ignore him; his content's legit some of the most worthless on the forum.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I don’t understand buying studios that only made exclusives for you anyway. But good for housemarqe. Can make games without worrying about the business side as much now.
I think the idea is to get them before another publisher does and given that they're 1st party now they have access to many more resources and can also share their dev knowledge with other 1st party studios

e&e

Banned
Not a surprising acquisition.

At this point if a studio is only making games for one platform just assume they are first party (otherwise why be exclusive to one platform in this landscape) until officially acquired.

Pallas

Congrats, it’s a great fit for both.

And people thought it doesn’t get any better than the Bathesda acquisition
Are you saying the Housemarquee acquisition by Sony is more significant to their brand than the Microsoft acquisition of Bethesda? Sony made a good purchase for their brand but this doesn’t really change much in terms of exclusives to be honest.

Still it should help House produce better games with higher budget and better tools.

Blueghost

Neo Member
Great news for both of them! Dunno about this new direction the studio is taking though, returnal has been getting high praise but honestly i just want a resogun sequel, the game is arcade perfection to me.

Killer8

They are a good fit for Sony considering they've made so many games for PS now. Much like Insomniac, could see this coming.

yurinka

What are some of the remakes y'all want from Bluepoint?
Metal Gear Solid
Wipeout Alpha Collection (Wipeout 1, 2097 and 3 Special Edition plus the content from Pure and Pulse not included in Omega Collection remade and merged in a new game)
God of War 1
Uncharted 1
Ico
Bloodborne Remastered: 4K, 60fps, HDR, no loading time, raytracing and better lighting
(I would include here Syphon Filter but its gameplay must be too outdated but I'd prefer instead a reboot made by Bend)

Last edited:
It's funny though that all the Xbox fans calling Sony anticonsumer now have to call their team that. Since Sony isn't pulling games off of Xbox in their acquisitions.
Well, with the exception of maybe a Sunset Overdrive 2.

Plus, there was no guarantee Housemarque games would have stayed PS exclusive.

Look at stuff like Yakuza. That was a PlayStation thing for many years and then suddenly every game shows up on Xbox.

Last edited:
Probably not much of a surprise to anybody as it makes so much sense.
I know they had issues with their older games just not making enough money for them which is one of the reasons that they ended up going to Returnal. To be honest, I was pretty nervous when Returnal was announced as I'd loved the old games and it was so different in many but I think it's an sbolute gem of a game and when you play the game it really does have Housemarque's fingerprints all over it and I genuinelly can't be happier that they'll be able to get the support that the current first party studios get from Sony, it really should be beneficial for both parties and for people who enjoy their games too.
And for the people who are strangely suggesting that this doesn't matter as it's not a negative for Xbox, how positive this move is for PlayStation has no relation at all with it being negative for another company. It's simply a positive move and doesn't need negatives elsewhere to be positive.

Agent X

Housemarque has been one of my favorite developers throughout the last several years. I have invested long hours attempting to master games like Super Stardust HD, Resogun, and Nex Machina. They produce so many games that are an artistic treat for your eyes and ears, but also dish out a hearty challenge. Their games are not easy to master, but they're very rewarding, and you want to keep playing just to see what else their creative minds can throw at you.

Every time they announce a new game, I eagerly follow it because I have confidence in their quality.

This is a great acquisition for Sony. I'll continue to look forward to whatever Housemarque produces in the future.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For those curious, HM was working on this, before deciding to focus on Returnal:

They seemed pretty far along, so I would guess they'd finish this up and add this to the Sony portfolio of PC/PS releases (and may be the first day-one PS/PC release, although as discussed earlier, TLOU Factions might also do that)

They cancelled it from what I've understood from the devs' interviews, or at least put on hold.

Imagine this with a major budget and experience from Returnal :messenger_open_mouth:

It may have ended up being a fine game but I think the issue that I have this game is that it could almost have been made by any studio out there and that's really unusual for Housemarque. As I said, it could have ended up being but I do fell it's important that their next game is still instantly recognisable as a Housemarque game.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It may have ended up being a fine game but I think the issue that I have this game is that it could almost have been made by any studio out there and that's really unusual for Housemarque. As I said, it could have ended up being but I do fell it's important that their next game is still instantly recognisable as a Housemarque game.
Oh for sure. I think they wanted to make a PvEvP-like game with Stormdivers. With a major budget I can easily see them taking that vision even further.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Imagine this with a major budget and experience from Returnal :messenger_open_mouth:

I honestly think it might've flopped real hard. They said that they only were planning to make it to save the company from bankruptcy. I don't think they'll make that garbage game unless it's a mobile game which then could do well and consoles/PC as a second thought.

Top Bottom