• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation welcomes Housemarque to the family

Derktron

Banned
Well done Sony. Now try to get more talented studios. Your current devs won't carry you for long.
Well Done Applause GIF by MOODMAN
Well dang, excuse me.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Curious to see if they’ll actually make a $70 worth of content game now with Sony’s backing

Smart buy by Sony and hopefully this helps them expand into more games. Will help Housemarque have more financial stability and greater resources

I don’t think MS would be interested in a studio like Housemarque as it doesn’t come with any valuable IP. I believe MS is on a content purchase mission to fill gamepass, not so much a raw talent push.

Sony wants talent to foster their internal IP building prowess. Different approaches.

Yeah you're right, look at all the super popular and well renowned IP that studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Undead Labs, Playground, Compulsion, The Initiative all had, even Double Fine and inXile were almost certainly bought exclusively for their talent and not because of massive value of Psychonauts or Wasteland franchises. Bethesda was the only one where IP played a major part, but keep trying to convince yourself that Sony is acquiring studios "the right way" and evil MS is doing it "the wrong way". When it comes to acquisitions, unless there's a hostile takeover, there is no right or wrong way, it doesn't matter if a relationship existed, or if the studio is small or established, the only reason people think differently is because Sony is the one doing it a different way

How has that acqustion of Bethesda worked out for them so far? Have consoles sales surged? Is gamepass profitable yet? I thought not. Go troll somewhere else.

they've been acquired for like 3 months, and even if you include the announcement as "being acquired" then it's still only been 9 months. And no exclusive Bethesda game has released yet, so expecting massive console sale surges at this point when both Series X and PS5 are flying off the shelves faster than they can be replaced is kind of ignorant. Bethesda will have a major impact, whether on console sales, Game Pass subs, or both. Based on your comment it seems you're the one "trolling"

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Returnal is so much better than anything developed by Bethesda after fallout4...only Doom saves the day to them.

Note I am not comparing Bethesda vs Housemarqe..but just their recent games. If Microsoft fix Bethesda they could have great games again.
Fallout 76 is really great now; people really should check it out, as it's insanely cheap now and works great.. of course you have to at least like Destiny style games, but especially if you can find someone to co-op with FO76 is a special game.

Runs REALLY well on PS5 too.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
These guys could make a sick Burnout clone.

Decima engine, crazy speed and ridiculous crashes.. Go really crazy and allow weapons on cars Twisted Metal style. Non open world.

In fact, just reboot Twisted Metal.

Ya

Not surprised at all. Only surprised that it took them this long. Either way, great purchase. Returnal is probably in my top 3 or top 5 games of this year. Depending how Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 turn out later this year. If Horizon Forbidden 2 and Bloodborne Remaster release this year as suggested by a few people lately then list will be shuffled around. Oh, don't forget Battlefield 2042 of course. Great games this year!

Last edited:
I don’t understand buying studios that only made exclusives for you anyway. But good for housemarqe. Can make games without worrying about the business side as much now.

DonF

Good. They were practically first party. Just like bluepoint.
Hope they can take more risks and contribute to PlayStation with original IPs

IntentionalPun

More games are coming, doesnt mean every PS5 game is coming lol
They have a pretty far in development Battle Royale game for PC.. that will probably be their first PS Studios title, and be day 1 PC.

Sony indicated on their investor slide deck that they want to do day-one PC/PS multiplayer game releases.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I don’t understand buying studios that only made exclusives for you anyway. But good for housemarqe. Can make games without worrying about the business side as much now.

As a publisher when they invest on an independent studio, they protect themselves from risk, while when you purchase them you are then protecting your investment. It’s a cautious approach.

It's a good addition to PS Studios but on the other hand the news is not that exciting since Housemarque had been a PS dev for an incredibly long time. It's not like PC and Xbox fans are furious now because they'll miss out on so many future Housemarque games they were itching to play. Those PC and Xbox fans never expected those games in the first place. This is a non event.
Kind of how I see it. Going after a third party that made games for other systems ups the competition. But this seems like a safe af move that shocks no one. Like the rumors of MS going after IO and Avalanche is more “shocking”news tha Sony getting Bluepoint and Housemarqe. I’d put this in the category of MS buying moon studio. Would be good news but not shocking news.

reksveks

They have a pretty far in development Battle Royale game for PC.. that will probably be their first PS Studios title, and be day 1 PC.

Sony indicated on their investor slide deck that they want to do day-one PC/PS multiplayer game releases.
If it is Factions, great business move but I will be keeping an eye on the crazy ones

IntentionalPun

If it is Factions, great business move but I will be keeping an eye on the crazy ones
Yeah I think Factions may be a dual PC/PS release myself.

I personally thought "day one PC for multiplayer / GAAS" was the bigger news out of that deck, but nobody wanted to discuss it lol

Particularly the GAAS part, as that isn't necessarily MP only games.

If you are going to get into GAAS/MP/etc. it doesn't make sense to release on PC years later.

As a publisher when they invest on an independent studio, they protect themselves from risk, while when you purchase them you are then protecting your investment. It’s a cautious approach.
I get it, just from a value proposition idk if its the move I'd make. But I'm also not the CEO of a fortune 500 company.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Smart buy by Sony and hopefully this helps them expand into more games. Will help Housemarque have more financial stability and greater resources

Yeah you're right, look at all the super popular and well renowned IP that studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Undead Labs, Playground, Compulsion, The Initiative all had, even Double Fine and inXile were almost certainly bought exclusively for their talent and not because of massive value of Psychonauts or Wasteland franchises. Bethesda was the only one where IP played a major part, but keep trying to convince yourself that Sony is acquiring studios "the right way" and evil MS is doing it "the wrong way". When it comes to acquisitions, unless there's a hostile takeover, there is no right or wrong way, it doesn't matter if a relationship existed, or if the studio is small or established, the only reason people think differently is because Sony is the one doing it a different way

they've been acquired for like 3 months, and even if you include the announcement as "being acquired" then it's still only been 9 months. And no exclusive Bethesda game has released yet, so expecting massive console sale surges at this point when both Series X and PS5 are flying off the shelves faster than they can be replaced is kind of ignorant. Bethesda will have a major impact, whether on console sales, Game Pass subs, or both. Based on your comment it seems you're the one "trolling"
I'm sorry stating facts is "trolling" now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Great purchase hope it is one of a few and a change from wasteful timed exclusives to investing in studios. Great move.

IntentionalPun

For those curious, HM was working on this, before deciding to focus on Returnal:

Daring teams and solo operators who are brave enough to dive into the eye of the recurring nano storm are trying not only to survive the competition but also the island itself, with endless threats looming around every corner. Only the strongest will make it out alive, with riches and rewards the island has to offer.

Stormdivers is a 3rd person multiplayer centric shooter game, featuring chaotic battles and volatile explosions amidst a recurring nano-storm that swallows the beautiful and lush island surroundings to explore.

They seemed pretty far along, so I would guess they'd finish this up and add this to the Sony portfolio of PC/PS releases (and may be the first day-one PS/PC release, although as discussed earlier, TLOU Factions might also do that)

Top Bottom