• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation welcomes Housemarque to the family

aRcqN3V.jpg
TIndeed. While this is not the most surprising acquisition out there, it makes sense for both Sony and Housemarque. I'm eagerly waiting what the studio will be able to come up with a larger budget.

And on a nationalistic note, that will probably be completely lost for non-Finns - TORILLE!!!

aRcqN3V.jpg

TORILLA TAVATAAN

Papacheeks

Banned
It's a valid concern. The early PS4 and Vita days were full of first party closures. But how many were due to poor sales because of Sony's poor management at the time by:
  • The 21 day PS3 network outage
  • Delaying games into irrelevance after natural disasters
  • Forcing them to work on games for struggling hardware

Also need to look at Geographic location of said studios. UK is super expensive to have studios. They had a good amount in UK, and downsized their teams they had London Studio and Manchester studios working on VR, manchester literally went like 4+ years without showing off anything. ANd I guess internally Sony was not impressed. SO they downsized closed down Manchester and moved teams to London studio.

When you have many WW studios these things happen depending on the market. Also depends on the studio. If Sony is hand off with you, that means its all on you to produce something they can market and sell. Most of the studios barring Cambridge had issues producing all together or made the same game for decadeds like liverpool.

Cambridge was done dirty for sure, but from my understanding a lot of people were moved around into other existing teams and studios. It was not a large studio, but it was super expensive to have open in Cambrige. So I see why they closed it even though they made 2 titles that scored well on meta, just didnt sell.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It's a good addition to PS Studios but on the other hand the news is not that exciting since Housemarque had been a PS dev for an incredibly long time. It's not like PC and Xbox fans are furious now because they'll miss out on so many future Housemarque games they were itching to play. Those PC and Xbox fans never expected those games in the first place. This is a non event.

Keihart

ok, arc system next, then SE and capcom

Season 3 Smiling GIF by The Simpsons
I don't think it would be good for Arcsystems now considering the success of Strive, i would have the complete opposite opinion before strive but now they seem to be doing pretty good and Daisuke has the freedom to do almost whatever the fuck he wants with team red.

Cool to see House Marque getting into PS officially, they kinda struggled last gen, this at least guarantees that they'll stick around for 1 or 2 more games at worst.

nowhat

aRcqN3V.jpg

TORILLA TAVATAAN
Yeah, I figured I didn't need to post that picture, someone else would :)

So, for the benefit of Fin-GAF (there are dozens of us! dozens! or at least a few), here's a really bad joke I came up with (and no, this can't be translated):

Mitä Mikke Granlund sanoi nähdessään kavereidensa kanssa ison ihmisapinan?

gorilla tavataan

Topher

Gold Member
It's a good addition to PS Studios but on the other hand the news is not that exciting since Housemarque had been a PS dev for an incredibly long time. It's not like PC and Xbox fans are furious now because they'll miss out on so many future Housemarque games they were itching to play. Those PC and Xbox fans never expected those games in the first place. This is a non event.

I don't understand how this is a "non event" unless it is making Xbox and PC fans "furious". Quantic Dreams was also once a PS only dev.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think it's exciting if you like Housemarque games.

Aquisation in Finland. If they are putting resources in a studio in Finlanday as well have another, the only other notable left in Finland is Remedy.
Notable in the console gaming space. Don't disrespect Supercell /s

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't think Remedy are for sale though. And that's a good thing.

Remedy have internal issues in their development. Control turned out ok, but you can see where there were issues in development that made them scale down what they wanted to do in the given development time.

Shmunter

Who cares about those smelly Xbox fans. Bringing in talent, giving them the appropriate level of funding and support is like nurturing a seed that can grow into an oak.

• Delaying games into irrelevance after natural disasters
I can't forgive how Sony forced Evolution Studios to delay and change some aspects of MotorStorm Apocalypse due to the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. I know it is a delicate subject and my feeling goes to all those that lost their belongings and family in the incident. However, games and reality are two separate things. I know it is more of a PR stunt, but still, it's silly.

NoviDon

Marrying their talent for making addicting gameplay to AAA funding should be a dream situation. AKA, a 'Big Event'.

ZywyPL

Banned
"Throwing money won’t lead to success" - Jim Ryan, 2021 ;)

Good acquisition for Sony, as Housemarque said themselves, they make gameplay-centric games, something Sony's lineup is seriously lacking (and shooters too), so hopefully they won't be forced into story-driven cinematic experience genre but remain their creative freedom intact.

It’s an ethical acquisition. Unlike some other acquisitions.

tenor.gif

Illustrat

Neo Member
Are saying they should only be happy if it was a multiplatform studio and games were going to be canceled on xbox as a result?

:unsure:
No, it just didn't seem like anything really changed at all, but i guess they will receive more funding so that's something to be happy about, if you like their games.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
"Throwing money won’t lead to success" - Jim Ryan, 2021 ;)

Good acquisition for Sony, as Housemarque said themselves, they make gameplay-centric games, something Sony's lineup is seriously lacking (and shooters too), so hopefully they won't be forced into story-driven cinematic experience genre but remain their creative freedom intact.

tenor.gif
tbh, Microsoft is looking for more acquisition, I guess Sony had to start looking for more studios as well.

I think Housemasque purpose will cater to hardcore roguelite market.
While Bluepoint for remakes and remasters.

Hezekiah

Banned
Maybe people will stop bitching about acquisitions now lol.

Sony are much more restrained when it comes to this, however I wonder if Remedy might also be on their bucket list.

Illustrat

Neo Member
That's the point, the studio gets more financial support and works on larger scope games for PS5 and PC.
Xbox gamers are not affected by this either way.
Yeah, I was just under the impression that they were already being funded by Sony, Returnal looked like a much bigger project than anything they've worked on before.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I can't forgive how Sony forced Evolution Studios to delay and change some aspects of MotorStorm Apocalypse due to the 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami. I know it is a delicate subject and my feeling goes to all those that lost their belongings and family in the incident. However, games and reality are two separate things. I know it is more of a PR stunt, but still, it's silly.
They also changed MGS2 due to 9/11.

Andodalf

Banned
Good for Housemarq getting the security and the bag! I hope they still have some freedom to make AA games on occasion if they want like their older stuff, but it’ll also be nice to see them be able to expand to a real AAA size

Top Bottom