• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 sold 270,000 units it's first month according to IDC data department

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Gran Turismo is carrying this.

VR is a tough nut to crack, and maybe Sony persistence will pay off in the long run but the landscape in the near term is not interesting enough. Big games are made for the TV, the vast majority has no interest in putting on a VR headset for more than a few minutes and it seems to me that only first person view seems tailored for the thing.

And what are going to do? Put Naughty Dog on a big VR game?

KiteGr

Acording to another article I stumble upon, it's WAY below expectations.

That thing costs more than a PS5 it self, and it has no compatibility with anything other than it!
If it was at least compatible with PC, one would say that it could be the one VR headset they could have at their home, but it's ridiculusly expensive and requires you to have additional headsets to play on other platforms!

Nautilus

Banned
Well, it's extremely expensive, so that's to be expected no?

VR won't be mainstream until it hits all these three factors:

- It's an enviroment by itself, without the need of secondary devices to run it(PC, PS5)

- Fixes its limitations(Health related, game design related, etc)

- Has compelling software.

Price certainly influences it too, and it's important to be as cheap as possible early so people bite the bullet and give the platform a chance, but its not a deciding factor(Unless its super expensive)

saintjules

I’m sorry, but this narrative just seems entirely founded on hope and positivity.

Nobody expected this to do worse than the first PSVR which was relatively low powered, cumbersome and launched with a smaller slate of titles.

What does this even mean, ‘picking up the pace’? This estimate includes the bulk of the early adopters and hardcore VR fans who preordered or bought day one.

It’s not likely to outdo its predecessor this first quarter.

All the talk about ‘somber market’ and yet PS5 hardware and $70 titles like Hogwarts Legacy are selling record numbers.

There is no major software scheduled for release in the next few months. They would have announced it by now if there was any coming soon.

With no new AAA software coming soon, it’s hard to see where the sharp growth is coming from, ahead of more competition H2 2023 when the Quest 3 launches. Also expect some competition from whatever Apple is bringing to the table.

I bought a PSVR2 day one and I’m happy with my purchase but I think it’s l right to not underestimate the real challenges Sony will face in selling this to an audience wider than the PSVR.
I would push for more meaningful changes myself, like PC compatibility, adding VR games to PS Plus/Plus Extra and more reasonable prices for VR software.

Very nice counterattack to the original post!

I think with bigger titles for VR2 will eventually sway people enough to get one, along with the latter items you mentioned.

I also think it can do OK for now without PC support. Keep getting more people in the PS5 ecosystem for a while longer before surrendering to PC. But that's just me.

acm2000

of the few people i know with a psvr1, none are interested in spending £550 on psvr2 no matter how good it is, just too much cash dollar.

Apple will be closely monitoring PSVR2 performance.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
A few years ago: “of course PSVR1 didn’t sell so well, it’s still a niche product for early adopters, it will take time for VR to become mainstream”

A few months ago: “PSVR2 fixes literally every problem that PSVR1 had, it’s really going to break into the mainstream… 2 million sales in the first quarter!!”

Today: “270K is totally great, we all should’ve expected it to sell far worse than PSVR1 because it doesn’t have the same novelty factor”

cxLM3Lt.jpg

Kilau

2M produced came from Sony.

Bloomberg said they cut it to 1M which Sony said was a false story.

So Sony was still expecting to have 2M ready to be sold:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/sony-we-have-not-cut-ps-vr-2-production-numbers
I don't know that Sony every stated production numbers. The 2 million report and subsequent reduction came from the same source. Sony only denied they had cut production numbers without confirming what the numbers were. I did read they expected to ship 1.3 million in the first year but I couldn't find a source for the statement.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Way too expensive and shit bc. What could go wrong?

They need to open this up to the PC audience, but even then - Quest will continue being the mainstream VR system.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Didn't we already have this news yesterday? As long as you can't buy it in a retail store and only in Ps Store, the sales figures won't be very good. It also costs more than a Ps5. I assume that the games will come. But since you can't even test it anywhere and Sony hardly advertises it, it will only be through word of mouth for now.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Whether this is "good sales" or not is multifaceted, it dependent on context and angle (but I suspect Sony expected more..). Even as (or because) a VR enthusiast I don't expect VR to become mainstream anytime soon. And the PSVR2 especially has some glaring issues that might stop it from multi-million sales: It's tethered, it's surprisingly bulky, and you need a PS5, making the whole package quite expensive (~1500USD in my country). With that said, I for one don't need VR to go mainstream right now, I'm a niche customer and aware of it, I have what I need to play what I want which is seated VR simulators (PCVR), I mean, kinda like PSVR2 owners might be happy doing their own thing. I wouldn't expect to see much mainstream movement until we're closer to the end of the decade (and with a completely different headset form factor than we have now). But what do I know, it's just a stupid notion, I'm not an oracle..

Last edited:
I don't know that Sony every stated production numbers. The 2 million report and subsequent reduction came from the same source. Sony only denied they had cut production numbers without confirming what the numbers were. I did read they expected to ship 1.3 million in the first year but I couldn't find a source for the statement.

No, the 2M came from Sony and Bloomberg reported it.

The reduction report was NOT by Sony, which is why they responded and said it wasn't true, and the sources were anonymous.

The reason why I believe this OP is still up unlike the previous two is because he posted the Tweet from the actual source himself endorsing the article, removing speculation the source was Bloomberg itself.

Kilau

No, the 2M came from Sony and Bloomberg reported it.

The reduction report was NOT by Sony, which is why they responded and said it wasn't true, and the sources were anonymous.

The reason why I believe this OP is still up unlike the previous two is because he posted the Tweet from the actual source himself endorsing the article, removing speculation the source was Bloomberg itself.

Unless you can find a direct statement from Sony saying 2 million or confirming it, then I'll stand by what I found.

Every article I found talking about the 2 million production refers back to the bloomberg report which says:

Sony Group Corp. plans to make 2 million units of the PlayStation VR2 headset by March next year, people familiar with the matter said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom