• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 Should Make It Easier for Developers to Port Their Games - IGN

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
aaa3e960-226a-11ed-afde-a64ca4df4ec9.cf.jpg

Speaking during a CEDEC 2022 event, Sony Interactive Entertainment's Yasuo Takahashi and Kenjo Akiyama talked about the hardware's features, from its base specs to its new controllers, to its new user experience, including a "see through" mode.

The broad strokes are that it should be easier for developers to port their games on PSVR, whether that's from existing PS5 development, or other VR systems. PSVR 2 game development uses the same SDK used to develop PS5 games. Through this close linkage to the PS5 SDK, it should be easy to create titles that support the PSVR 2.

The talk also covered a number of other features designed to make developers' lives easier when working with the headset. One feature that developers will appreciate is its GPU's Flexible Scale Rasterization (FSR), which combines PSVR 2's tracking cameras and foveated rendering to freely alter pixel density based on where the player is looking, further optimizing rendering.

The overall message appears to be that, while the tech has become more advanced in this second-generation headset, developing for it has become simpler. If that's true, we'd hope to see more games - both original and ported - on PSVR this time around.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Resident Evil 4 VR on Quest 2 made me a believer that there are plenty of existing games that, with a little elbow grease, make for unbelievably good full blown VR titles. I hope we see more of that kind of work, as well as of brand new games, too.

Banned
I hope this means that games on PSVR are compatible with PSVR2.

I still bet they won't be unless a developer patches them.

the controllers are just way too different.

imagine the game giving your tutorial popups with this controller:
31PaOQdnJ5L._SX342_.jpg

but you are using this one:
psvr2-headset-controllers-image-block-03-en-17mar22

I bet sony won't allow that simply out of principle.

games that use the DS4 only might be compatible tho

Last edited:
For BC, why can't they just allow you to use the new headset but you have to use the move controllers and the PlayStation camera if you want to play psvr 1 games? I have no issues keeping the camera and move controllers I have but would love to not have to keep two headsets along with the psvr 1 processing box.

Last edited:
foveated rendering
I hope this is also included in cinema mode. A huge cinema and still every spot I look at is as sharp as the display is able to. Maybe supersampled resolution in that core spot.
Would also be interesting when the development is so easy as this pr talk promises, if a 3D effect could have a comeback in cinema mode. All games should be best played with the headset to give it more value than only a limited number of VR games can offer.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
am i the only one who'd love for Sonys inhouse studios to simply release some VR Demo's of certain levels from their games, i mean id love to walk around levels from Uncharted & TLOU, when you see the insane level of detail ND put into their set building, just to fire up the level in VR for a walk around would be a great way to admire the art and talent that went into it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I sincerely hope this means more VR games like RE7, HL: Alyx and so on. Since they are open to PC platform now, I hope I get far more usage to my VR in PC space in near future.

Because VR seems to be sort of reminiscent of Kinect, but instead of Dance Central, you only play Beat Saber. At least regularly.

I hope this is also included in cinema mode. A huge cinema and still every spot I look at is as sharp as the display is able to. Maybe supersampled resolution in that core spot.
Would also be interesting when the development is so easy as this pr talk promises, if a 3D effect could have a comeback in cinema mode. All games should be best played with the headset to give it more value than only a limited number of VR games can offer.

Assuming by Cinema mode you mean viewing on a TV set, this is not practical. Foveated rendering is depending on accurate eye tracking and you can't reliably do that from 6 feet away.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
am i the only one who'd love for Sonys inhouse studios to simply release some VR Demo's of certain levels from their games, i mean id love to walk around levels from Uncharted & TLOU, when you see the insane level of detail ND put into their set building, just to fire up the level in VR for a walk around would be a great way to admire the art and talent that went into it
This is so funny.

I actually had lunch with a few friends out here from sie hq and they asked me what would I change. I told them the studios should create demos of up coming games like playable YouTube shorts for PS5. They liked the idea but who knows if they will implement it.

VGEsoterica

for PSVR being the weakest hardware of the current gen VR stuff on the market it is still by far the easiest to use and has the best library for the most part

but what good is PSVR 2 if PS5 is still barely manageable to find

Three

I still bet they won't be unless a developer patches them.

the controllers are just way too different.

imagine the game giving your tutorial popups with this controller:
31PaOQdnJ5L._SX342_.jpg

but you are using this one:
psvr2-headset-controllers-image-block-03-en-17mar22

I bet sony won't allow that simply out of principle.

games that use the DS4 only might be compatible tho
The thing is that most games were playable with a standard controller so prompts in most games will mostly just be button symbols anyway. Ps4 games on PS5 still display DS4 prompts. I'm sure showing aiming with the wand won't be an issue.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The thing is that most games were playable with a standard controller so prompts in most games will mostly just be button symbols anyway. Ps4 games on PS5 still display DS4 prompts. I'm sure showing aiming with the wand won't be an issue.
While this is true(and it was intentional for PSVR library to be mostly playable with DS4 alone) - for BC to be handled well they really should just support Move wand and Aim tracking for those that have them. You'd get fundamentally better UX experience, and way superior controller-tracking(and obviously headset) to PSVR all in one.
Basically it's upgraded BC, but with actually improving gameplay, not just resolution or FPS tweaks (those could still be a thing as well).

Also Aim controller is still the best physical VR controller I've used to date - yes it's for shooters only - but it runs circles around all of the waggle solutions on the market combined, when it comes to tactile shooter experience in VR.

And this is in line with how Sony's always approached peripherals to date - they've kept BC with prior gens (and often multiple gens) of legacy peripherals (sometimes forward compatibility too - but people don't like to talk about that one as it's completely unheard of on other consoles), so this has real precedent to happen, it's not an out of character expectation.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cinema mode shows the output from a 'flat game' - so that won't benefit. The background itself (the cinema or whatever room you'll watch in) can and probably will use it to maximize resources left to the game itself.

Although now that you mention it - they could offer features such as gaze tracking and 3D Stereo to be an opt-in when using the HMD, so developers could choose to support them even for future 'flat-games. But you can't do this as system/library-wide feature, if that was the question.

Hi Faf!

How hard is the integration of eye-tracking and foveated rendering? Are these at the point where it's relatively simple to build into the engine or we struggle to see adoption by many outside of Unity (which I believe already demonstrated something on it) and hopefully Unreal Engine and the like?

Top Bottom