• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Users May Soon Be Able to Have Other Players Complete Difficult Sections for Them

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It seems that Sony is working on another way to make PlayStation games potentially less difficult and more accessible, as shown in a new patent application filed by the company. This patent would allow one user to request help from another, which would let that second gamer jump in at a specific point in a game. Certain snapshots will be created, similar to checkpoints, that designate specific moments when the secondary user can enter another's game.

sidequest-help-playstation.jpg

This new patent is being described by Sony as a form of "gaming interaction," and while it would be interesting to see a gamer be able to summon a friend or stranger to help them out on a quest, this has been done before.

xrnzaaas

Just share the save file. Why do you need an expensive patent?
Sony completely blocked copying savegames to external drives for PS5 titles, apparently because people were modifying them and cheating on the PS4. I doubt they'll change that, because unfortunately there was no major player backlash to that decision.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sony completely blocked copying savegames to external drives for PS5 titles, apparently because people were modifying them and cheating on the PS4. I doubt they'll change that, because unfortunately there was no major player backlash to that decision.
Is it still the same as PS3 where you couldn't back up saves without PS+? If so, that's a strong demonstration of an anti-consumer decision.

Also, who cares if people cheat? Online services can do validation checks on saves, and single player games are single player so it doesn't matter.

Banned
I mean, there are people that play modern AAA games on easy...
I can't even imagine how awful you have to be at using a controller if you have to select that option when most games are pretty much braindead/require no skill even on normal/medium

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'd be happy if any of these companies could focus on maybe making some next gen games before they worry about all the nonsense shit they do worry bout....
Can't blame them when there's so few consoles out and they want to earn money.

xrnzaaas

Is it still the same as PS3 where you couldn't back up saves without PS+? If so, that's a strong demonstration of an anti-consumer decision.

Also, who cares if people cheat? Online services can do validation checks on saves, and single player games are single player so it doesn't matter.
I don't know how it was on the PS3, but yes - you can't backup your PS5 saves without using PS+. At least copying works for the PS4 games played on PS5 so not everything is blocked. I didn't cheat myself, but I've used the backups many times for protection against corrupted saves or for trophy hunting.

Last edited:

Mokus

Yeah. It is quite annoying. It's forcing you to use the PS plus uploading/downloading, which is more work than the simple save file copying (although they buried that too in the system menu for the PS4 games). And somewhat a dick move against gamers like me - I bought both the PS5 and the game, let me enjoy it as I want. So far for PS4, I only used for a couple of games that have limited in game saves. :messenger_unamused:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't know how it was on the PS3, but yes - you can't backup your PS5 saves without using PS+. At least copying works for the PS4 games played on PS5 so not everything is blocked. I didn't cheat myself, but I've used the backups many times for protection against corrupted saves or for trophy hunting.
Without backups, what do they expect you to do? They're taking the piss if they expect people to either pay a sub or let everything disappear in the likely event of a failure.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What!? So you are saying I can’t back up my PS5 game saves without PS Plus!?

DaGwaphics

cringe GIF

I feel for the less skilled PS brothers out there trying to qualify for support assistance, but I think having someone else play your games for you is a bridge too far. LOL

anthraticus

Banned
I mean, there are people that play modern AAA games on easy...
I can't even imagine how awful you have to be at using a controller if you have to select that option when most games are pretty much braindead/require no skill even on normal/medium
Sony sure does know their audience....lol

hemo memo

Gold Member
This service already exists but at a much higher usage. It is called Twitch. Very successful. You don’t even need to buy the console or even play but you can brag about a game like you’ve played it on the internet.

Three

You have been able to do this since the PS4, Share Play is like giving someone your controller over the internet. But maybe this is a different way to do it.
It's shareplay but native/local. Instead of relying on streaming the game the state is saved and loaded on somebody else's machine locally to pick up where they pressed share.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's shareplay but native/local. Instead of relying on streaming the game the state is saved and loaded on somebody else's machine locally to pick up where they pressed share.

I doubt it's a save state, as that would be like 13-14GB (a proper save state requires everything in RAM to be saved and then restored). Probably more like sharing the save file. Unless this will only work with certain games that have implemented support for it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This option is already available, it’s called SharePlay where you hand the controller to another player from your friends list.

You need PS+ to use it though.
I was about to say, isn’t that SharePlay?

Maybe they will have a UI option in the cards that devs can code in for a more seamless method.

Three

I doubt it's a save state, as that would be like 13-14GB (a proper save state requires everything in RAM to be saved and then restored). Probably more like sharing the save file. Unless this will only work with certain games that have implemented support for it.
Yeah it mentions checkpoint states so it will be like some frequent autosave feature that another player can jump in at.

Last edited:

kapshin

When the MetaVerse takes over I am going to use this feature to burden strangers with my problems I don't want to deal with.

yurinka

This feature has existed since 2016 on ps4 and 2020 on ps5. It's called share play
It's shareplay but native/local.
I was about to say, isn’t that SharePlay?
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

It seems that Sony is working on another way to make PlayStation games potentially less difficult and more accessible, as shown in a new patent application filed by the company. This patent would allow one user to request help from another, which would let that second gamer jump in at a specific point in a game. Certain snapshots will be created, similar to checkpoints, that designate specific moments when the secondary user can enter another's game.

sidequest-help-playstation.jpg

This new patent is being described by Sony as a form of "gaming interaction," and while it would be interesting to see a gamer be able to summon a friend or stranger to help them out on a quest, this has been done before.
Right now using SharePlay you virtually "pass your controller" through internet to a friend, who can complete that area of the game where you are stuck playing via game streaming/remote play.

I assume that the different part in this patent is that the avatar of the other player would join your match and you'd see his character in your screen performing the stuff, instead of allowing your friend to take control of your character. He'd join your gameplay session as in a online multiplayer match, not needing game streaming/remote play.

Imagine you're playing on a Destiny single player campaign mission and got stuck. With this feature a player would join your match using his avatar spawning next tp where you are to help you. Now think the same but with basically any game, like Uncharted, Astro, TLOU, Horizon etc.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Right now using SharePlay you virtually "pass your controller" through internet to a friend, who can complete that area of the game where you are stuck playing via game streaming/remote play.

I assume that the different part in this patent is that the avatar of the other player would join your match and you'd see his character in your screen performing the stuff, instead of allowing your friend to take control of your character. He'd join your gameplay session as in a online multiplayer match, not needing game streaming/remote play.

I think it's more like you share a save file with the other person, asynchronously, and when you jump in again you're at the point the other person stopped playing.

Three

Oh, that sound interesting if it's coop. Doesn't Elden Ring do something like this already?

Top Bottom