• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation unseats Nintendo in June with The Last of Us Part 2 l UK Charts

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Lol of course you forgot the the AI partner shit backup, not to mention the enemies all follow the same pattern at the end when going through the set pieces, just go stealth and QTEs the same button when ambushed, a fixed corridor ambush every time.

Fuck me the the gameplay was great right, boring as fuck when it hits the 6th hours. I know they tried improving a bit, some of the stuff they did was commendable but it still not enough to compensate the horrendous pacing. Good for you but I'm not gonna go through that again.
Your AI partner is not meant to do all of your fighting for you lol

As I said, it sounds like it just isn't for you but objectively it's a great game

MagnesG

Banned
Your AI partner is not meant to do all of your fighting for you lol

As I said, it sounds like it just isn't for you but objectively it's a great game
Nice interpretation, typical fanboys deflects right here.
Can't win either way so I'm not gonna bother elaborating more.

I post this in other thread, I also impressed . Las of us is not that popular here in japan , but many of my coworker bought the game not playing the first at all.

First time I can talk with them about a western game lol. Anyway none of them finish it yet, pretty sure they gave up lols

Last edited:

Valentino

yeah, ok, but let's see how it lasts.

of course it was gonna sell well at launch because the original was amazing but i can't see it keeping high sales. will soon be £5 sitting next to Anthem. they probably made a shit load of copies but will struggle to shift them all so i expect prices to bomb soon.

Teehee :messenger_relieved:
That's exactly the type of sentence I paraphrase when describing you guys who just can not take this game doing well. (more than 'well' actually)

"well - well...........well let's see how long it lasts!" *folds arms in a grump*
*Compares to Anthem that wasn't ever on LoU2 level*

I have a ton more straws for you to clutch for, you need some?

You're using the most extreme examples. 6 360 games exceeded 10 million units sold and that's whole lifespan (as far as we can tell) when we're discussing opening weekends for games. " Reuters UK estimated that Halo 3 may have sold up to 5.2 million copies worldwide in the first two weeks after launch.[66] "
TLOU2 is also pretty extreme though. Besides, what should I be using if not the most extreme examples? TLOU2 is likely in the top 0.1%.

Last edited:
Are you entirely ignoring the part of the post about how you're comparing lifetime numbers to launch numbers and that Halo 3 isn't even close to TLOU II in terms of launch numbers?
You said 3M was the highlight of last gen which is false. COD MW2 sold 4.77M within 24 hours of its release. TLOU2 dropped enormously after its opening week-end which is to be expected. In the first two weeks it’ll end up selling what? 6-7M?

So nah, 3M the first 2 days certainly wasn’t the highlight of last gen when we had juggernauts like COD in its prime, GTA V or even Skyrim.

Unless of course you only count exclusives.

Last edited:
You said 3M was the highlight of last gen which is false. COD MW2 sold 4.77M within 24 hours of its release. TLOU2 dropped enormously after its opening week-end which is to be expected. In the first two weeks it’ll end up selling what? 6-7M?

So nah, 3M the first 2 days certainly wasn’t the highlight of last gen when we had juggernauts like COD in its prime, GTA V or even Skyrim.

Unless of course you only count exclusives.

No I didn't. I don't know who you're actually arguing with but I'm sure the idea is that 3 million was a big deal last gen, and it certainly was, few games achieved it in their entire lifetime, much less the opening weekend.

No I didn't. I don't know who you're actually arguing with but I'm sure the idea is that 3 million was a big deal last gen, and it certainly was, few games achieved it in their entire lifetime, much less the opening weekend.
Then not sure why you quoted me when I used Halo and COD as examples as if you were correcting me. Especially when you said they were extreme examples as if TLOU2 wasn’t also an incredibly rare exception.

The point I was making was that 3M on the first two days was not the highlight of last gen because several games beat that.

Last edited:
Then not sure why you quoted me when I used Halo and COD as examples as if you were correcting me. Especially when you said they were extreme examples as if TLOU2 wasn’t also an incredibly rare exception.

The point I was making was that 3M on the first two days was not the highlight of last gen because several games beat that.

Then that point is wrong, flagrantly wrong. You need to stop ignoring half the post you respond to because I just pointed out to you how Halo 3 did NOT do 3 million in two days, it did 5 in two weeks, which is what TLOU II did in 3 days. BTW even if you had SEVERAL examples of games besting 3 million in 2 days last gen hitting that number would still be considered a pretty fucking huge deal, but you've cited no evidence what-so-ever for your claims so why bother? You were using LIFE-TO-DATE sales for CoD and Halo 3, not OPENING WEEKEND, you still have not provided your opening weekend numbers but considering it took Halo 3 2 weeks to hit what TLOU II hit in less than a week I'm sort of doubting the evidence is there, maybe for CoD but I don't even know what sort of point you'd be making by saying CoD did better than something... yes... it sells better than everything in a given year.

Then that point is wrong, flagrantly wrong. You need to stop ignoring half the post you respond to because I just pointed out to you how Halo 3 did NOT do 3 million in two days, it did 5 in two weeks, which is what TLOU II did in 3 days. BTW even if you had SEVERAL examples of games besting 3 million in 2 days last gen hitting that number would still be considered a pretty fucking huge deal, but you've cited no evidence what-so-ever for your claims so why bother? You were using LIFE-TO-DATE sales for CoD and Halo 3, not OPENING WEEKEND, you still have not provided your opening weekend numbers but considering it took Halo 3 2 weeks to hit what TLOU II hit in less than a week I'm sort of doubting the evidence is there, maybe for CoD but I don't even know what sort of point you'd be making by saying CoD did better than something... yes... it sells better than everything in a given year.
The point isn't flagrantly wrong because CODMW2 did destroy 3M in 2 days by doing almost 5 in a single one.

And yes COD sells better than almost everything which is what a highlight does, doesn't it?

As for Halo 3, they didn't provide the numbers. All we know is that on launch day, it earned $170M in the US alone.

Also, it's false that it's the first two weeks. This article from Reuters is dated October 04, 2007, 9 days after the launch of Halo 3 which came out on September 25th, not 14 days. Furthermore, Microsoft counted only the first week as demonstrated here. So Halo earned $300M(5.2M copies) worldwide in its first week alone.

If we divide 300M by the number of units Reuters estimated it sold in the first week, we end up with an average cost of $57 USD which is pretty damn close to the $59 price tag. Using the launch day numbers(170M/59), Halo 3 sold roughly 2.881M copies on its opening day. Don't forget Halo also launched on the 25th in NA and on the 26th in Europe, unlike TLOU2 which sold 4M+ in 2 days WORLDWIDE. So the estimated 2.881M it sold in the US alone on launch day is pretty close to 3M. Unless you think Halo sold like 100K copies in Europe on the first day, it's almost guaranteed to have sold over 3M in the first 2 days.

Last but not least, I was not saying Halo 3 did better than TLOUII(so no idea why you keep bringing it up), I was saying 3M in 2 days was not the highlight of last-gen because the highlights beat that number soundly.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
That's exactly the type of sentence I paraphrase when describing you guys who just can not take this game doing well.
Wow...imagine so far up the Ivory Tower that you canot accept that People have grievances with the Game.
Maybe the Story isnt the Problem, but how cheap it was told ?
Maybe People disliked the dumb AI and literaly the same goddamn Gameplay from the first part that wasnt that good to beginn with ?
Not to mention, the Gameplay is interrupted by so many Cutscenes, Metal Gear was calling.
Maybe people are against it, because just like Mobile Games, it sends a wrong message when games like this sell so well ?
But no, completly flawless, everyone who doesnt give the Game a 10/10 is just Misogynistic, great way to handewave away all the problems with the Game.

Last edited:

Three

Wow...imagine so far up the Ivory Tower that you canot accept that People have grievances with the Game.
Maybe People disliked the dumb AI and literaly the same goddamn Gameplay from the first part that wasnt that good to beginn with ?
Not to mention, the Gameplay is interrupted by so many Cutscenes, Metal Gear was calling.
Maybe people are against it, because just like Mobile Games, it sends a wrong message when games like this sell so well ?
But no, completly flawless, everyone who doesnt give the Game a 10/10 is just Misogynistic, great way to handewave away all the problems with the Game.
Sure, don't like the game, no one gives a shit, but don't distort reality thinking this highly praised bestselling game isn't a highly praised bestselling game just because you don't like it.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
Sure, don't like the game, no one gives a shit, but don't distort reality thinking this highly praised bestselling game isn't a highly praised bestselling game just because you don't like it.
So are over 50000 negtive votes from "normal" Players way less meaningfull than under 200 Critics who also "highly paised" every microtransaction infested AAA game ?
Or that there was an huge effort to keep everything about the Story under wraps because they kney how fans of the first game would react to it ?
All im waiting for is getting told that i simply dont understand the game because it "subverted my expectations".

MrS

Banned
Microsoft needs their own Druckmann.
I've heard Sony are on poor terms with David Cage. No reason Xbox couldn't snap him up. They could definitely use an auteur game director and somebody with a singular vision to add variety to their offering.

Three

So are over 50000 negtive votes from "normal" Players way less meaningfull than under 200 Critics who also "highly paised" every microtransaction infested AAA game ?
Or that there was an huge effort to keep everything about the Story under wraps because they kney how fans of the first game would react to it ?
All im waiting for is getting told that i simply dont understand the game because it "subverted my expectations".
Strange that you think review bombing a game is "normal players" and all critics are people who like microtransactions. When the users scores are far from a normal distribution and people reviewed either a 10 or a 0 you think that's what's normal and reliable. I guess the game score from verified buyers on sites like Amazon or the score on Playstation store from users must also be microtransaction loving users. What about the high sales numbers? Must be them sony employees buying up the game. Don't distort reality, it's fine to not like the game personally but accept that this game is highly acclaimed and selling well.

Last edited:

Valentino

That's got nothing to do with what I was pointing out. You guys keep doing this thing where you say someone then say "OH SO I'M NOT ALOUD TO LAIK THA GAME?! SUNY FANS CANT ACCEPT PEOPLE HATE THE GAME HOW PAFETIC!"...................... that's how you sound. Because I didn't even criticise you for not liking the game (No one cares you don't like it. Although you do have fun in quite a few of TLoU threads. Questionable) I used your comment as an example. It's like termites coming out the wood works. It's like the same people are sitting there waiting to throw some useless counteractive arguments about why the games success isn't justified. And then you do the whole "sony fans just can't accept" speech............................... but that makes no sense......can you not see it's you guys who can't accept it doing well. And no, I don't mean accept the game. Just accept you didn't like it and accept it is doing well. What game do you like? Lemme know, I'd love to know. You wouldn't tell anyone because you know others would have hella lot of criticism on that game you love. Because you must be playing the pinnacle of top tier games but it just didn't get the hype or praise you think it should.

And can I just ask - you said the gameplay from the first game wasn't good to begin with, so what made you play the second game. Don't worry, I'm not going to claim you didn't actually play it. And what wrong message did the game send?

Ixiah

Banned
And can I just ask - you said the gameplay from the first game wasn't good to begin with, so what made you play the second game. Don't worry, I'm not going to claim you didn't actually play it. And what wrong message did the game send?
Oh aside from watching various Streamers play it and laugh at the shit what was happening, why would i play a game thats has nothing going on but the Story, when said Story is idiotic, hamfisted and full of inconsistencies ?
After all, there is this thing called research before purchase......
So if thats a metric....sorry, but im not gonna spend over 60 bucks on a game which, again, through research and my own eyes has everything i dont like about a Game...
But keep buying the next FIFA game, all these people complaining about DLC are just angry Gamers, never critize Politicians, after all you arent one, and dont comment on Food if you are not a Cook, ok ?
As for whats wrong with the Story, there is a Spoiler thread, if that cant convince you, then nothing will anyway.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
And TLoU isn't?
Hate for the game has surely blinded a lot of folks here into passing their hopes as facts.
When LOU2 ravages the GOTY awards this year, the haters will have their last song at Hatestock 2020, saying these awards are crap and paid for. Then in early 2021 when many have revisited the game on PS5. they will come up with LTTP threads saying the game is overrated. In short, TLOU's success will always be a source of trauma for some.......

Yeah, it always sounds like they're reading it from some generic ND hate handbook lol and it always sounds so off base from what ND games are actually like

ND is the best
No doubt, remember when ND games were just cinematic story games you could just watch on youtube or lay down the controller for, so if the story sucks now, Why are all these millions of gamers buying it for......? Surely, not because of the gameplay....

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
When LOU2 ravages the GOTY awards this year, the haters will have their last song at Hatestock 2020, saying these awards are crap and paid for. Then in early 2021 when many have revisited the game on PS5. they will come up with LTTP threads saying the game is overrated. In short, TLOU's success will always be a source of trauma for some.......

No doubt, remember when ND games were just cinematic story games you could just watch on youtube or lay down the controller for, so if the story sucks now, Why are all these millions of gamers buying it for......? Surely, not because of the gameplay....
That's an excellent point. It's still in the best sellers even with the divisive story and it is still getting great reviews on Amazon, PSN, etc

The point isn't flagrantly wrong because CODMW2 did destroy 3M in 2 days by doing almost 5 in a single one.

And yes COD sells better than almost everything which is what a highlight does, doesn't it?

As for Halo 3, they didn't provide the numbers. All we know is that on launch day, it earned $170M in the US alone.

Also, it's false that it's the first two weeks. This article from Reuters is dated October 04, 2007, 9 days after the launch of Halo 3 which came out on September 25th, not 14 days. Furthermore, Microsoft counted only the first week as demonstrated here. So Halo earned $300M(5.2M copies) worldwide in its first week alone.

If we divide 300M by the number of units Reuters estimated it sold in the first week, we end up with an average cost of $57 USD which is pretty damn close to the $59 price tag. Using the launch day numbers(170M/59), Halo 3 sold roughly 2.881M copies on its opening day. Don't forget Halo also launched on the 25th in NA and on the 26th in Europe, unlike TLOU2 which sold 4M+ in 2 days WORLDWIDE. So the estimated 2.881M it sold in the US alone on launch day is pretty close to 3M. Unless you think Halo sold like 100K copies in Europe on the first day, it's almost guaranteed to have sold over 3M in the first 2 days.

Last but not least, I was not saying Halo 3 did better than TLOUII(so no idea why you keep bringing it up), I was saying 3M in 2 days was not the highlight of last-gen because the highlights beat that number soundly.
Literally no one argued 3 million and 2 days was the best any game ever did last gen this entire argument is you having trouble with the word highlight and what it means. A person you originally responded to said last gen 3 million was a highlight, not THE highlight A highlight. your argument it is not a highlight is to cite the two biggest selling games which you can't even demonstrably prove one of them did more than 3 million in 2 days. It's a crap argument and you shouldn't be making it.

Literally no one argued 3 million and 2 days was the best any game ever did last gen this entire argument is you having trouble with the word highlight and what it means. A person you originally responded to said last gen 3 million was a highlight, not THE highlight A highlight. your argument it is not a highlight is to cite the two biggest selling games which you can't even demonstrably prove one of them did more than 3 million in 2 days. It's a crap argument and you shouldn't be making it.
Of course I’ve demonstrably proven it, unlike you who went on a dishonest tirade doubling the length of time the game was out. Unless you’re seriously going to tell me Halo sold less than 120K units on its first day in Europe lol.

Next, the highlights of last gen aren’t the Halos. They’re the CODs and GTA’s which put Halo to shame. Highlight implies the best-selling there is or in the same ballpark. Some games completely outclassed Halo.

Thanks for playing along and next time you wanna call me out, check your dates. Will avoid making you appear completely dishonest.

Of course I’ve demonstrably proven it, unlike you who went on a dishonest tirade doubling the length of time the game was out. Unless you’re seriously going to tell me Halo sold less than 120K units on its first day in Europe lol.

Next, the highlights of last gen aren’t the Halos. They’re the CODs and GTA’s which put Halo to shame. Highlight implies the best-selling there is or in the same ballpark. Some games completely outclassed Halo.

Thanks for playing along and next time you wanna call me out, check your dates. Will avoid making you appear completely dishonest.
I don't need to check my dates I provided you with exact quotes from publications. you also aren't providing any exact data multiple call of duty or Grand theft Auto games and their opening weekend numbers or providing us with an idea of how many games can be counted among the highlights because if we go by what you're saying it's only a few.

I don't need to check my dates I provided you with exact quotes from publications. you also aren't providing any exact data multiple call of duty or Grand theft Auto games and their opening weekend numbers or providing us with an idea of how many games can be counted among the highlights because if we go by what you're saying it's only a few.
Bullshit you did. The article was published 9 days after the game launch so how the fuck did they get the data for two weeks? Especially when their source is Microsoft who claimed on the same day the sales for the first week only.

And yes, the highlights are only a few as it should be. They represent the best of the best. 3M in 2 days last gen was nowhere near the best of the best.

Last edited:
Bullshit you did. The article was published 9 days after the game launch so how the fuck did they get the data for two weeks? Especially when their source is Microsoft who claimed on the same day the sales for the first week only.

And yes, the highlights are only a few as it should be. They represent the best of the best. 3M in 2 days last gen was nowhere near the best of the best.
The quote literally says it's an estimate if you're capable of giving me exact numbers go for it. by the way just because games did more than 3 million last gen does not make it any less of a highlight. have you ever watch sports highlights its plural there's multiple

The quote literally says it's an estimate if you're capable of giving me exact numbers go for it. by the way just because games did more than 3 million last gen does not make it any less of a highlight. have you ever watch sports highlights its plural there's multiple
Know why it's an estimate? Because Microsoft claimed Halo had sold over 20M and their last report had them saying they sold 14.8M prior to the launch of Halo 3. 20M-14.8M=5.2M. That's where they got their estimate from. A simple subtraction.

Then I did the same exercise but with a simple division so if you were willing to run with their very basic maths based on numbers provided by Microsoft, I sure as heck hope you'll be willing to run with mine because these are things we learned in 1st and 2nd grade.

"The company said all three “Halo” games had sold more than 20 million copies. Earlier this year, Microsoft said the first two games had sold 14.8 million copies, which could mean “Halo 3” has sold as many as 5.2 million copies. "

The math perfectly checks out. Of course, you don't have to buy it but then, that would make you a hypocrite.

As for the sports analogy, it'd be all nice and dandy if highlights in the context of them were quantifiable but they aren't. I could argue Lebron's dunk was more impressive than Curry's shot, that's purely subjective. I can't argue Halo did anywhere near COD's numbers because it didn't. CODMW2 did 4.77M in a day, eclipsing by 56% in 1 day what 3M is in 2 days.

Last edited:
Know why it's an estimate? Because Microsoft claimed Halo had sold over 20M and their last report had them saying they sold 14.8M prior to the launch of Halo 3. 20M-14.8M=5.2M. That's where they got their estimate from. A simple subtraction.

Then I did the same exercise but with a simple division so if you were willing to run with their very basic maths based on numbers provided by Microsoft, I sure as heck hope you'll be willing to run with mine because these are things we learned in 1st and 2nd grade.

The math perfectly checks out. Of course, you don't have to buy it but then, that would make you a hypocrite.

As for the sports analogy, it'd be all nice and dandy if highlights in the context of them were quantifiable but they aren't. I could argue Lebron's dunk was more impressive than Curry's shot, that's purely subjective. I can't argue Halo did anywhere near COD's numbers because it didn't. CODMW2 did 4.77M in a day, eclipsing by 56% in 1 day what 3M is in 2 days.

" By November 30, 2007, Halo 3 had sold 5 million copies worldwide, and as of that point, was the best-selling video game of 2007 in the U.S., even though the game is only available on one console.[69] "

It was released in September, two months to hit 5 million worldwide.

Halo 3's NPD numbers by the end of the year were 4,820,000, so it took more than 3 months to hit what TLOU II did in 3 days.

This is the point where you admit this was an embarrassing endeavor you took part in.

Last edited:
" By November 30, 2007, Halo 3 had sold 5 million copies worldwide, and as of that point, was the best-selling video game of 2007 in the U.S., even though the game is only available on one console.[69] "

It was released in September, two months to hit 5 million worldwide.

Halo 3's NPD numbers by the end of the year were 4,820,000, so it took more than 3 months to hit what TLOU II did in 3 days.

This is the point where you admit this was an embarrassing endeavor you took part in.
Sigh. Man stop embarrassing yourself.

NPD only tracks the American market. Halo had sold 4.82M in the US alone. That's only what NPD could confirm because they only track the US/Canada. This doesn't include worldwide sales.

And check your sources. The source of your quote is this article; Which only mentions Halo 3 having made 170M in revenues. Nothing official about worldwide sales because Microsoft hadn't even given the reports for worldwide sales of Halo anyway.

Then what TLOUII did in 3 days, the 4M+ were WORLDWIDE sales. 4.82M is US only for Halo.

Then to top it all off why do you keep at the strawman? I never said Halo 3 sold better than TLOU2, I said 3M wasn't a highlight last-gen because Halo 3, which was nowhere the best selling game did that. So why the heck are you countering something I never even claimed?

Quit while you're ahead. You're just digging yourself in a hole. Man up, admit you were wrong and move on. This is a silly internet argument. Don't let it bruise your ego.

Last edited:
Sigh. Man stop embarrassing yourself.

NPD only tracks the American market. Halo had sold 4.82M in the US alone. That's only what NPD could confirm because they only track the US/Canada. This doesn't include worldwide sales.

And check your sources. The source of your quote is this article; Which only mentions Halo 3 having made 170M in revenues. Nothing official about worldwide sales because Microsoft hadn't even given the reports for worldwide sales of Halo anyway.

Then what TLOUII did in 3 days, the 4M+ were WORLDWIDE sales. 4.82M is US only for Halo.

Then to top it all off why do you keep at the strawman? I never said Halo 3 sold better than TLOU2, I said 3M wasn't a highlight last-gen because Halo 3, which was nowhere the best selling game did that. So why the heck are you countering something I never even claimed?

Quit while you're ahead. You're just digging yourself in a hole. Man up, admit you were wrong and move on. This is a silly internet argument. Don't let it bruise your ego.

They site their best guesses for worldwide numbers multiple times, better numbers than you're willing to cite. Are you telling me TLOU II won't do over 4.82 million in America in three months?

"Nowhere near the best-selling game" except it broke a record for revenue in a single day held at the time, which is also stated by multiple sources.

Explain what a highlight is without losing track of the fact that it was called A highlight, not THE highlight. If your answer is to simply site the fact that a SINGLE game outdid it last gen you are not disproving the idea that last gen TLOU II's numbers would have been a highlight, it's a factually true statement.

By the way, I did check my source... you didn't apparently... RIGHT IN THE DAMN ARTICLE "The game has thus far sold 5 million units worldwide and is the bestselling title this year in the U.S "

They site their best guesses for worldwide numbers multiple times, better numbers than you're willing to cite. Are you telling me TLOU II won't do over 4.82 million in America in three months?
Quote me saying Halo 3 sold better than TLOUII. I'll wait. At this point, you're trolling.

Also, I don't care about their guesses. The only valid sources are Microsoft or NPD. Variety is as valid as Reuters which cited estimates of 5.2M in a week yet Variety claims 5M in 3 months. So which are you running with? You can't have both, or did you just move the goalpost? Or perhaps maybe, they both ran with Microsoft's statement of Halo having sold 20M copies after having said earlier in 2007 (prior to the launch of Halo 3) that the series had sold 14.8M. So you do the math and can infer that Halo 3 had sold AT LEAST 5M copies (because the sales of Halo 1 and 2 wouldn't significantly affect the series by that point) and nothing more because Microsoft gave no other report.

"Nowhere near the best-selling game" except it broke a record for revenue in a single day held at the time, which is also stated by multiple sources.
Yes, at the time. In 2007, less than 2 years after the gen began. It went on to get utterly demolished by a bunch of COD games, GTA IV and GTA V.

https://www.gamesradar.com/gta-iv-sales-top-500-million-in-first-week/

And before you say anything, Gamesradar is sourcing Rockstar who obviously knew GTA V did $500M of revenues in a week, crushing Halo's 300M.

Explain what a highlight is without losing track of the fact that it was called A highlight, not THE highlight. If your answer is to simply site the fact that a SINGLE game outdid it last gen you are not disproving the idea that last gen TLOU II's numbers would have been a highlight, it's a factually true statement.
Except I made that argument absolutely nowhere so either learn to read or stop trolling.

By the way, I did check my source... you didn't apparently... RIGHT IN THE DAMN ARTICLE "The game has thus far sold 5 million units worldwide and is the bestselling title this year in the U.S "
No you didn't, you just quoted Wikipedia and then checked the source after I told you to. The source is Variety, a freakin' magazine that reports on celebrities and gossip. They said Halo 3 had sold 5M units worldwide. That's it, no source, nothing. Hence why I said "nothing official" They aren't an authority on the matter, neither is Reuters. NPD and Microsoft. Variety's claim is also put into question by Reuters who at least bothered posting their source(Microsoft) for their estimate.

Last edited:
Quote me saying Halo 3 sold better than TLOUII. I'll wait. At this point, you're trolling.

Also, I don't care about their guesses. The only valid sources are Microsoft or NPD. Variety is as valid as Reuters which cited estimates of 5.2M in a week yet Variety claims 5M in 3 months. So which are you running with? You can't have both, or did you just move the goalpost? Or perhaps maybe, they both ran with Microsoft's statement of Halo having sold 20M copies after having said earlier in 2007 (prior to the launch of Halo 3) that the series had sold 14.8M. So you do the math and can infer that Halo 3 had sold AT LEAST 5M copies (because the sales of Halo 1 and 2 wouldn't significantly affect the series by that point) and nothing more because Microsoft gave no other report.

Yes, at the time. In 2007, less than 2 years after the gen began. It went on to get utterly demolished by a bunch of COD games, GTA IV and GTA V.

https://www.gamesradar.com/gta-iv-sales-top-500-million-in-first-week/

And before you say anything, Gamesradar is sourcing Rockstar who obviously knew GTA V did $500M of revenues in a week, crushing Halo's 300M.

Except I made that argument absolutely nowhere so either learn to read or stop trolling.

No you didn't, you just quoted Wikipedia and then checked the source after I told you to. The source is Variety, a freakin' magazine that reports on celebrities and gossip. They said Halo 3 had sold 5M units worldwide. That's it, no source, nothing. They aren't an authority on the matter, neither is Reuters. NPD and Microsoft. Variety's claim is also put into question by Reuters who at least bothered posting their source(Microsoft) for their estimate.

I didn't accuse you of saying Halo 3 did better. Though it's unclear what point you were ever making in bringing Halo 3 into this.

"On January 3, 2008, Microsoft announced that Halo 3 has sold 8.1 million copies." - since we're sticking to Microsoft's numbers, as per your rules, shouldn't you wait a little over 3 months and see if TLOU II can hit 8.1 million? https://web.archive.org/web/2012051...pot.com/news/ms-177-million-360s-sold-6184291

GTA IV did about 8 million in it's first week based on that. TLOU II did half that in 3 days, so it's not impossible for it to have hit 8 by the end of the week. GTA V has the global record for week 1 sales, so it's not the most fair comparison. Modern Warfare II, similar to GTA IV, did about 9 million its first week. That said, if your only counter examples are the two biggest multi-platform franchises to ever exist you might need to re-think your idea that 3 million units wasn't a highlight last generation.

It's not clear what your argument is, then, because no one said that 3 million in 3 days was the best last generation could offer. You're not arguing with anything anyone said. Nevermind that every counter-example you gave we don't know exact unit numbers for first 3 days, generally speaking you expect more sales in the first 3 but it doesn't really have to be the case, GTA IV selling 8 million in 7 days doesn't necessitate exceeding 3 million in 3 days, you realize this, right?

You've changed the argument, you claimed the source said nothing about worldwide sales, now your problem is the legitimacy of the source and that they didn't provide their sources. Anyways, now that I've cited what Microsoft has said, I'm going to have to assume you yield at this point, how much more can you twist this argument out of proportion?

I almost forgot, you keep citing revenue generated and not unit sales, I was being charitable with the unit sales I gave you, they completely ignore things like special editions and such that cost more than a regular copy, in fairness I went for 60 dollars per copy (which isn't what TLOU II always sold for, many editions). I would think with the amount of benefit of the doubt you've gotten you should be humbled by the fact that you still don't look to be making a strong point.

Last edited:
I didn't accuse you of saying Halo 3 did better. Though it's unclear what point you were ever making in bringing Halo 3 into this.

"On January 3, 2008, Microsoft announced that Halo 3 has sold 8.1 million copies." - since we're sticking to Microsoft's numbers, as per your rules, shouldn't you wait a little over 3 months and see if TLOU II can hit 8.1 million? https://web.archive.org/web/2012051...pot.com/news/ms-177-million-360s-sold-6184291

GTA IV did about 8 million in it's first week based on that. TLOU II did half that in 3 days, so it's not impossible for it to have hit 8 by the end of the week. GTA V has the global record for week 1 sales, so it's not the most fair comparison. Modern Warfare II, similar to GTA IV, did about 9 million its first week. That said, if your only counter examples are the two biggest multi-platform franchises to ever exist you might need to re-think your idea that 3 million units wasn't a highlight last generation.

It's not clear what your argument is, then, because no one said that 3 million in 3 days was the best last generation could offer. You're not arguing with anything anyone said. Nevermind that every counter-example you gave we don't know exact unit numbers for first 3 days, generally speaking you expect more sales in the first 3 but it doesn't really have to be the case, GTA IV selling 8 million in 7 days doesn't necessitate exceeding 3 million in 3 days, you realize this, right?

You've changed the argument, you claimed the source said nothing about worldwide sales, now your problem is the legitimacy of the source and that they didn't provide their sources. Anyways, now that I've cited what Microsoft has said, I'm going to have to assume you yield at this point, how much more can you twist this argument out of proportion?

I almost forgot, you keep citing revenue generated and not unit sales, I was being charitable with the unit sales I gave you, they completely ignore things like special editions and such that cost more than a regular copy, in fairness I went for 60 dollars per copy (which isn't what TLOU II always sold for, many editions). I would think with the amount of benefit of the doubt you've gotten you should be humbled by the fact that you still don't look to be making a strong point.
I said the source claimed NOTHING OFFICIAL about worldwide sales. Is Variety official now?

My argument is simply that 3M in 2 days wasn't a highlight last gen and wouldn't be one now. It's good, very good even but some games absolutely mollywhopped that to the point you can't even put them in the same category.

I said the source claimed NOTHING OFFICIAL about worldwide sales. Is Variety official now?

My argument is simply that 3M in 2 days wasn't a highlight last gen and wouldn't be one now. It's good, very good even but some games absolutely mollywhopped that to the point you can't even put them in the same category.

I gave you the official number, though, 8.1 million as of January 3rd on a game released at the end of September. A little more than 3 months of sales yielded 8.1 million units. I also got into how even some of the biggest games of last gen didn't necessarily do more than 3 million in 3 days. You have literally only got GTA V as a game that DEFINITELY outdid those numbers. And it's a multi-plat entry in one of the biggest franchises to ever exist. During last gen any game that wasn't CoD or GTA would be considered a goddamn juggernaut to post such numbers, especially an exclusive. Everyone would lose their goddamn minds.

I gave you the official number, though, 8.1 million as of January 3rd on a game released at the end of September. A little more than 3 months of sales yielded 8.1 million units. I also got into how even some of the biggest games of last gen didn't necessarily do more than 3 million in 3 days. You have literally only got GTA V as a game that DEFINITELY outdid those numbers. And it's a multi-plat entry in one of the biggest franchises to ever exist. During last gen any game that wasn't CoD or GTA would be considered a goddamn juggernaut to post such numbers, especially an exclusive. Everyone would lose their goddamn minds.

Yes and that's the entire argument. COD and GTA were the standouts and so laughably above everyone else you can't put them in the same category. Hell, I could have been more of a jerk and just used GTA V which shattered everything but since it's so far above everything, I included these other games as well.

Also no, COD MW2 did 4.77M in 24 hours.
Black Ops, 5.6M in 24 hours.

Won't bother searching the rest of the franchise because you get the point.

Yes and that's the entire argument. COD and GTA were the standouts and so laughably above everyone else you can't put them in the same category. Hell, I could have been more of a jerk and just used GTA V which shattered everything but since it's so far above everything, I included these other games as well.

Also no, COD MW2 did 4.77M in 24 hours.
Black Ops, 5.6M in 24 hours.

Won't bother searching the rest of the franchise because you get the point.

No, I don't get the point. I don't get how multi-platform Call of Duty games doing that well means it wouldn't be a highlight for another game to earn 3 million in 3 days. I am beyond ever seeing your point until you acknowledge that had say... Metal Gear Solid 4 posted 3 million in 3 days people would have flipped their shit, it hit 1 million in its first week, was considered a big success.

No, I don't get the point. I don't get how multi-platform Call of Duty games doing that well means it wouldn't be a highlight for another game to earn 3 million in 3 days. I am beyond ever seeing your point until you acknowledge that had say... Metal Gear Solid 4 posted 3 million in 3 days people would have flipped their shit, it hit 1 million in its first week, was considered a big success.
Then stop bothering.

Over and out.

Bodomism

Banned
It absolutely never had a shot at outselling Animal Crossing. Anally devastated PS fans on suicide alert.
Not only that, UK in this gen is where PlayStation have the strongest dominance in term of software and hardware sales compares to other countries but TLOU2 still unable to last a month against ACNH.

Not only that, UK in this gen is where PlayStation have the strongest dominance in term of software and hardware sales compares to other countries but TLOU2 still unable to last a month against ACNH.

Good point, UK is PS home turf and even that couldn't resist the AC invader. I remember some people in this very forum also thought Death Stranding would outsell Pokemon. Somewhere between deduction and eagerness resides idiocy.

Woggleman

AC outselling pretty much anything is not a shock in the least. A family friendly game vs a brutally violent and dark game is no contest. I can see the youtubers loading up their videos right now though calling it a flop.

Top Bottom