• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Support: Backward compatibility: PlayStation®4 games playable on PlayStation®5

Select games will enable boost mode isn't good news. I thought they would have boost enabled all the time like Series X

mBBGLsY.png

If it's on for all, I think this one's broken.

ksdixon

So, Game Boost mode improves loading times, in addition to the load time improvements by running games on PS5's SSD vs PS4's HDD? And PS5's SSD having DRAM means it runs slightly faster than a normal SSD would as well?

Or do games 'have to' run in Game Boost mode in order to get any load time improvements?

ZehDon

Gold Member
So, Game Boost mode improves loading times, in addition to the load time improvements by running games on PS5's SSD vs PS4's HDD? And PS5's SSD having DRAM means it runs slightly faster than a normal SSD would as well?

Or do games 'have to' run in Game Boost mode in order to get any load time improvements?
No, the load-time improvements from the SSD aren't optional; the drive just loads everything faster, so the improvements of the SSD will be available to every game automatically. However, that doesn't mean every game will suddenly load in 1 second; some will benefit from it more than others. I'm expecting 20 second load times for Bloodborne, for example.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

To quote Cerny
the boost is so dramatic that some older PS4 games simply can't handle it.
So far all it does is improve framerate 🙄

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A game can be:

• PS4, no Pro patch (runs in PS4 legacy mode)
  • PS4 Pro patched (runs in PS4 Pro legacy mode)
  • PS5 patched (will have enhanced features)
  • PS5 only

I'm groovy with that overall, why don't they just say that in today's faq/release?

martino

ok now i can blindly replace my ps4.
i will not cancel my preorder. let's see if amd will make my wallet bleed even more.

FrankWza

No, the load-time improvements from the SSD aren't optional; the drive just loads everything faster, so the improvements of the SSD will be available to every game automatically. However, that doesn't mean every game will suddenly load in 1 second; some will benefit from it more than others. I'm expecting 20 second load times for Bloodborne, for example.

playedbloodborne on SSD onps4 and pro and Load times were definitely faster than others at the time. It’s been a while but I could load it up and try a few and time it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would be interesting to know why those 10 games don't work. I don't give a crap about them, just curious. What special thing are they doing that the other 4,000 games aren't?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
PS5 consoles do not support the PS4 Second Screen app or game companion apps.

We get it Sony, you hate the Vita.

Rob_27

I haven't got through all the pages yet.

Is there a list of
Games that would benefit from the extra power of PS5 as they have uncapped frame rate or dynamic resolution. Inc upto 4k.

Or a list that games have been patched or will be to allow extra guff?

I havent finished last of us 2 yet so hopefully that will have something..

Thinking about ghosts of tsushima and maybe Death stranding.

But have the series X for a week before the PS5 comes out to tinker with something.

Cheers.

makaveli60

TiriWDfr22iu8uLfujYXwg.jpg

It was my understanding that if something has an enhanced mode on PS4 pro it would have a ps4 pro mode when playing on ps5 no? Am i wrong in understanding this from the Road to PS5
This is how I would understand it as well but with this new management/marketing team I don't know anymore what to think... I just want them to state that, yes, PS4 Pro patched games will run on Ps4 Pro mode on PS5. It would be so easy to do so, isn't it?

Regarding PS4 to PS5 cloud saves which no one answered :(

How do PS4 game transfers and game saves work between the two consoles?
You can transfer digital games, game data, and game saves from a PS4 console to a PS5 console using LAN cables, or by connecting wirelessly (WiFi). If you’ve already stored PS4 games and game data in the external USB storage device connected to your PS4, you can bring them over to PS5 with that external USB storage device. And if you are a PS Plus member, you can also sync PS4 game saves on PS5 through cloud storage.

Good, PS+ cloud works for save data.

Riky

$MSFT
If games work in just PS4 or PRO modes and run exactly as they did on those machines then it isn't the same as the XSX as that boosts every game to its resolution and framerate target.

If it's running in PS4 mode and has dynamic resolution and framerate drops on a PS4 surely it will still have them?

If games work in just PS4 or PRO modes and run exactly as they did on those machines then it isn't the same as the XSX as that boosts every game to its resolution and framerate target.

If it's running in PS4 mode and has dynamic resolution and framerate drops on a PS4 surely it will still have them?

So all XB1 games get boosted to 4K 60FPs automatically?

Just curious if this is one of the perks of the XSX BC system.

Edit: I'm also wondering if my understanding of the PS5s boost mode is correct.

If a game has a dynamic resolution on the PS4 then it should reach the maximum resolution more often (or locked at it ) with the PS5s boost mode. The same goes for framerate as well like GoW 60 FPS mode.

Now developers can release patches that will improve a game beyond the PS4 Pro mode with the PS5s boost. For example Doom Eternal can be updated to have ray tracing on the PS5.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
This is some great news, and about what folks were expecting 👍

I'm curious how many of these are compatible with Boost mode; last figure had them having tested about 100 games. It'd be nice if they gave an update on that front with this one but they'll probably do that a week or two from now anyway.

Also this stuck out to me:

Is there a specific reason the game needs to be inserted each and every time? Sounds like a form of license checking, but couldn't they just simply get some kind of unique ID code off the disc, store it to the cloud, and then just have it so that the user needs to briefly be online to verify being able to play the game without the disc being in the drive? Maybe some kind of matching ID could be generated for that game getting initially verified with the disc in the drive on that system, and could even do it on a per-account basis?

It'd actually be better if the system had some kind of private NAND cache inaccessible by the user, where it could get and/or generate some kind of reference code to the digital copy of the game if it's installed on the internal SSD, expandable SSD or external storage device. Then implement some kind of encrypted ID reference code for any external drive the digital copy of the PS4 game is installed onto. If the user tries playing the game from an external drive without the matching reference code they'd be prompted to provide the original disc again.

I guess Sony's got it set up the way it is currently, to ensure people aren't simply borrowing the game from a friend and try to pass it off as their own purchase, which would be an issue if the system only needed the game disc inserted and verified once.

But I think generating some kind of unique encrypted reference ID code for a digital copy of that game installed onto either the system or external storage matching some type of unique identification of the game disc (I'm sure every printed disc of a physical release has to have SOME kind of unique identification of some sort issued during the printing phase, right?), which could be further expanded to a matching encrypted code installed on the connected 3rd-party storage drive (if the game is installed there), would be a better solution, though maybe a bit more complicated.
Problem is, the console would have to be online to check whether that game belongs to you. Otherwise you could sell the disk and keep the game digitally

It's basically what ms were wanting to do with xb1

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
PS4 only games
While the majority of PS4 games are playable on PS5 consoles, below is a list of PS4 games that are playable on PS4 only. On PlayStation™Store, PS4 games that are not playable on the PS5 console will be marked with ‘Playable on: PS4 only’.

PS4 only games:
DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner
Great. My 282 PS4 games are 100% compatible.

PS4 trade-in happening!

MaulerX

Glad this has been put to rest.

Now the next topic of conversation will be about how "enhanced" their BC will be (ie; auto HDR for all games etc...).

[Sigma]

So cross-save is a developer issue then? Seems that some of them need to answer some questions now.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So external drives for digital PS4 titles? I have Devil May Cry 4:Special Edition installed on my PS4. I can just transfer that over, download it again on PS5, or run it from an external drive?

Edit: I figured it out.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned

This seems to answer most questions. Bringing over PS4 saves, accessing digital PS4 games, etc.

For those still hoping for a more detailed breakdown of how a particular PS4 game runs on PS5: that’s completely fair, but I wouldn’t count on Sony to provide anything that specific. I’m sure we’ll see streamers and YouTubers kicking the back-compat tires after the console’s out.

Shmunter

Just give me A 60fps patch for Death Stranding and TLOU2 lol instead of re release like TLOU 1 from PS3 (30fps) - PS4 ( 60FPS )
Maybe GOT too as the Developers have been great with post game support. Mostly expect it for 1st/2nd party Games
Are you familiar with....Spider-Man?

Shmunter

I think most reasonable people expected this to be the case, but it's a good thing to have it spelled out in Black & white. One less console war issue to fight about.

It is reassuring to see Black Tiger made wasn't one of the few excluded games. :messenger_beaming:
You like em black?

VALCON 82

In the PS support page it mentioned ps plus and PSNOW .. they state that ps4 games will play on ps5... they only mention that ps4 titles will be playable on ps5.. do I assume that over 1/2 the psnow library will be cut out from being playable on ps5?? Surely not...

and no this is not some trolling post. I have psnow and love it but that will definitely make me reconsider resubscribing if true

I'm groovy with that overall, why don't they just say that in today's faq/release?
Technical communication is much worse because of SEO, Google expect so many words in a page to take it seriously... writers force themselves into writing long winded texts when they could make a 4 point list and be done with it, everybody would be happier.

Agent X

In the PS support page it mentioned ps plus and PSNOW .. they state that ps4 games will play on ps5... they only mention that ps4 titles will be playable on ps5.. do I assume that over 1/2 the psnow library will be cut out from being playable on ps5?? Surely not...

and no this is not some trolling post. I have psnow and love it but that will definitely make me reconsider resubscribing if true

From what I gather, PS Now will work exactly the same way on PS5 as it currently works on PS4. Anything that is downloadable on PS4 will be downloadable on PS5, and anything that is streamable on PS4 will be streamable on PS5.

Couldn’t Sony just have the user toggle boost mode? Like it could be boosted by default like the Series X, but the user could just toggle legacy mode if issues occur. Maybe run it as a beta at first to compile data of what works and what doesn’t outside of it top 100?

So it looks like some of those games may still become backward compatible possibly. At least the DWVR one is according to the developer.

timmyp53

Couldn’t Sony just have the user toggle boost mode? Like it could be boosted by default like the Series X, but the user could just toggle legacy mode if issues occur. Maybe run it as a beta at first to compile data of what works and what doesn’t outside of it top 100?
Its exactly what the PS4 Pro did. Not sure why people are thinking so hard.

Last edited:

Orky

Banned
mBBGLsY.png

If it's on for all, I think this one's broken.

Correction: All games that can still be bought and won’t get delisted soon as they have a better sequel anyways.

Forza horizon 4, which is better anyway, gets the patch.
And forza 3 gets delisted anyways, so why waste resources on that?
This is a non issue.

beck_

Something I am not sure of:

On PS4 Pro, the boost option is system level and can be turned on, this 'boosts' all PS4 games played on Pro. They have a caveat that if any issues arise whilst playing a specific game, then turn off boost mode.

On PS5, it seems boost option wont be available and instead Sony will 'switch on' boost mode for PS4 games that can run with it (maybe adding more as tested over time). I would expect quite a lot will run in boost mode and especially the popular games (in top 100+).

The latest DF video showed that not only the SSD improves load times in BC games, but the next gen CPU makes a huge difference also. So any games not boosted will possibly not see the big improvements in load times due to not running at PS5 CPU speeds. I'm not too worried about this as the PS4 games I will play on PS5 are popular and should be boosted.

So all XB1 games get boosted to 4K 60FPs automatically?

Just curious if this is one of the perks of the XSX BC system.

Edit: I'm also wondering if my understanding of the PS5s boost mode is correct.

If a game has a dynamic resolution on the PS4 then it should reach the maximum resolution more often (or locked at it ) with the PS5s boost mode. The same goes for framerate as well like GoW 60 FPS mode.

Now developers can release patches that will improve a game beyond the PS4 Pro mode with the PS5s boost. For example Doom Eternal can be updated to have ray tracing on the PS5.
XB1 games that have unlocked frame rate get boosted, same with Dynamic Resolution. They also get auto HDR for all gens if it works.

I imagine boost mode in the PS5 would work similar. Dynamic resolution topping out at 4k (or 4k more often) and uncapped games getting 60fps or close to it. Don't believe HDR was a focus for Sony.

Tschumi

Well there you have it.

DWVR
Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
TT Isle of Man - Ride on the Edge 2
Just Deal With It!
Shadow Complex Remastered
Robinson: The Journey
We Sing
Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
Shadwen
Joe's Diner

the gaping chasm in backwards compatible titles is warping and tearing my sanity like a Lovecraftian old one~

Kokoloko85

Are you familiar with....Spider-Man?

Yeah but I wonder if it will get a Patch for boost mode.

Not ray tracing, new textures etc. Like the “Remaster” .
But Just faster loading and 60fps option like PS4 Pro games got the option.
I doubt it but wondering if they will give it a free patch. Like Cerny said the top 100 games will be get a boost mode.
Not just games after June ETc like Ghost of Tsushima

Last edited:

yurinka

So far all it does is improve framerate 🙄
And to improve the loading times and if the game has dynamic resolution, to improve the resolution. Like in Xbox or PS4 Pro.
I have no idea why they haven't announced a boost mode list already.
I think they already did it: all the PS4 and PSVR games that aren't these 10 PS4 only games should benefit of boost mode with shorter loading times, higher resolutions if the game has dynamic resolution (and weren't already native 4K on PS4 Pro) and more stable and faster fps (unless they are capped to 30 or 60 and already ran at this very steady).
The latest DF video showed that not only the SSD improves load times in BC games, but the next gen CPU makes a huge difference also. So any games not boosted will possibly not see the big improvements in load times due to not running at PS5 CPU speeds. I'm not too worried about this as the PS4 games I will play on PS5 are popular and should be boosted.
SSD loading solution is twice as fast on PS5 compared to Series X, so BC loading times should be shorter in PS5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom