• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Studios boss: I encourage our teams to be fiercely daring

I think most people wouldn’t consider Demon’s Souls or Shadow of the Colossus daring today. They were when they originally released though.

TLG and Gravity Rush, absolutely. It’s a shame Sony have restructured the studio to focus on Astro moving forward.

To be fair, Returnal and DeS weren’t developed by ‘our teams’ as Hulst is talking about here, but fair play to Sony for financing them.

On a separate note, it’s interesting that only a handful of people are calling out this self-promotional puff piece, when any negative article on Sony is met with hysteria and claims that it’s Microsoft astroturfing.
Daring and budget are closely related. Made up old games or something like Gravity Rush aren't >100m games with another 100m in advertising, not even close.

MrFunSocks

Banned
No, we are unhappy about how they make invalid statements. For example, Jim Ryan literally said, they don't want to be held back by PS4, and will truly move to next-gen. But few months after dragging people Into PS5, he said, they will continue to make great games for PS4 because of the player base.

Statement 1: "We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features."

“We’ve said many times, with PlayStation 5 it’s a brand new generation, and we believe in generations. So we want to evolve every part of the experience. ”

Statement 2: ” We do feel that we have a responsibility to that very large community, and an opportunity to carry on making great PS4 games for as long as the need is there. And I think that is the right thing to do, it’s the rational thing to do, and I think you will see a tail with PS4 that you did not see with PS3."
Ok, but that's got nothing to do with what I said.

ZywyPL

Banned
Hulst recently revealed that PlayStation Studios currently has >>>25 titles<<< in development, with over >>>half being new IP<<<.

But you have to wonder, d they count Director's Cuts as separate games too? What about remasters? PC ports? What about Factions 2, is it a separate title as well, just because they didn't get it on time of TLoU2 release? With Sony's recent practices those numbers don't really mean much without any context at all, because chances are half of those 25 games are actually old titles everyone played already long time ago.

People complain about Sony's silence. Then Hermen does a single interview and people complain again.

Make up your mind.

He just put some empty words and PR slogans yet again, no concrete info was there. Is HFW launching this year or not? What about GT7, we haven't heard about that for some time, except that's it's coming to PS4 as well. Where will the SSD update beta end? What about VRR? Where/if there will be some event showcasing games this year? The questions go on and on, and the answers are nowhere to be seen,

KAL2006

Banned
Last gen they experinented with alot of new IP, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, Gravity Rush, The Order, Knack, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, Days Gone, Death Stranding and etc.

Obviously you have loads of flops but you have a few that end up being new big franchises that will go to have sequels. Sony did the same with PS3 generation as well it's all about experimentation and finding that next new IP and keepings things fresh.

I just hope Sony continue this while making sequels for their successful IPs like Ghost and Horizon. Unfortunately hearing rumours of Last of Us Remake has me a bit dissapointed. They need to put Naughty Dog on a new IP. I'm also sick of Ratchet they need to get inSomniac making a new IP.

Chukhopops

On a separate note, it’s interesting that only a handful of people are calling out this self-promotional puff piece, when any negative article on Sony is met with hysteria and claims that it’s Microsoft astroturfing.
I think it’s because this one is a bit too obvious, it feels like a copy paste. Plus the outlet isn’t exactly the most unbiased either.

SSfox

He should STFU and start speak when he will have something else than another playstation game PC port to announce.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
God of War
Disruptive and Bold
no way whatever GIF

How many XBox, Nintendo IP's have those companies rebuilt from the ground up with their character being changed from a one dimmensinal angry killing machine to a man who now has a son and has to learn to not only be a father but actually be compassionate? How many games tell that story of a father and son where the father himself has to change to save his son from a similar life choice?

Sounds theres a reason for many in the industry God of war 2018 was GOTG.

Banjo64

cumsessed
How many XBox, Nintendo IP's have those companies rebuilt from the ground up with their character being changed from a one dimmensinal angry killing machine to a man who now has a son and has to learn to not only be a father but actually be compassionate? How many games tell that story of a father and son where the father himself has to change to save his son from a similar life choice?

Stunning and brave.

Chukhopops

The game was good but there is nothing disruptive or bold about it, sorry. If anything the old GoW games were more original, especially in 2005. GoW 2018 is safe and formulaic even by Sony standards, at least HZD has robot dinosaurs.

« Rebuilt from the ground up » LMAO

Sony had a perfectly working formula with TLOU and used it for GOW. The risc was not too high. Personally i greatly prefer the old GOW games, but the majority loves that new formula.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Stunning and brave.

Corey Barlog based that story off of him at the time becoming a father while the game was being written. He based some of the scenes specifically atrues being sick scene with Fraya on his expierence when his son was born. It is brave to personally share something intimate like that in your work. They took a chance on rebooting god of war and making the writigin/characters more 3 dimmensional like Naughty dog does.

That takes guts to do knowing if it doesnt come together or is received well it all can go to shit. Easier way is to make another sequel with the same character without decontructing the person so we can get a more dimmensional look at the person.

It's corny to say stunning and brave but I get what herman is trying to say. Taking chances and putting it on the line for a project you believe in thats different from the norms, or what you usually make.

What IP from Nintendo or Microsoft have they taken a character and done what Some of sony's studios have done with theirs? Gears, halo, mario, zelda? Even when they tried with gears 5 it fails to do the same thing at the same level and inmy opinion doesnt even come close to what Sony's studios do when it comes to character arcs, writing, and changes.

The game was good but there is nothing disruptive or bold about it, sorry. If anything the old GoW games were more original, especially in 2005. GoW 2018 is safe and formulaic even by Sony standards, at least HZD has robot dinosaurs.

« Rebuilt from the ground up » LMAO

Sounds like you never played it or have no clue wtf your taliking about. Go look up how God of war 2018 was made. Go look how everything from camera system, fighting system, writing, character all rewritten and deconstructed. To go from God of war 2010/2012 to what we got in 2018 is pretty amazing and not formulaic.

What game can you think of that was redone in setting, combat, camera sytem, and narrative?

I'll wait.........

Doubt you'll have a intelligent response

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Corey Barlog based that story off of him at the time becoming a father while the game was being written. He based some of the scenes specifically atrues being sick scene with Fraya on his expierence when his son was born. It is brave to personally share something intimate like that in your work. They took a chance on rebooting god of war and making the writigin/characters more 3 dimmensional like Naughty dog does.

That takes guts to do knowing if it doesnt come together or is received well it all can go to shit. Easier way is to make another sequel with the same character without decontructing the person so we can get a more dimmensional look at the person.

It's corny to say stunning and brave but I get what herman is trying to say. Taking chances and putting it on the line for a project you believe in thats different from the norms, or what you usually make.

What IP from Nintendo or Microsoft have they taken a character and done what Some of sony's studios have done with theirs? Gears, halo, mario, zelda? Even when they tried with gears 5 it fails to do the same thing at the same level and inmy opinion doesnt even come close to what Sony's studios do when it comes to character arcs, writing, and changes.
Why does it matter if Nintendo or Microsoft haven’t reinvented an IP like Sony did with GoW?

I’ve just platted GoW 2018 on the 14th July. The writing was ok, if not a bit contrived at times. I don’t think it’s as good as the writing in The Last of Us.

It was actually the gameplay, hunting down the harpies and collectibles and semi-open world that I liked the most. I also have platted all of the other games in the series, which I find equally as good.

I’ve just finished A Plague Tale and I’d say that easily matches GoW for story telling and bests it for originality.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why does it matter if Nintendo or Microsoft haven’t reinvented an IP like Sony did with GoW?

I’ve just platted GoW 2018 on the 14th July. The writing was ok, if not a bit contrived at times. I don’t think it’s as good as the writing in The Last of Us.

It was actually the gameplay, hunting down the harpies and collectibles and semi-open world that I liked the most. I also have platted all of the other games in the series, which I find equally as good.

I’ve just finished A Plague Tale and I’d say that easily matches GoW for story telling and bests it for originality.

I'm not saying God of war is some revolution, but compared to previous entries the writting was way better and a lot more engaging character wise.

I agree that the lore of the game as you hunt down the Valkryies, dragons is great and one of those things that you fall in love with if you missed them on your main playthrough. Add's more subtle context and weight to the world.

Chukhopops

Sounds like you never played it or have no clue wtf your taliking about. Go look up how God of war 2018 was made. Go look how everything from camera system, fighting system, writing, character all rewritten and deconstructed. To go from God of war 2010/2012 to what we got in 2018 is pretty amazing and not formulaic.

What game can you think of that was redone in setting, combat, camera sytem, and narrative?

I'll wait.........

Doubt you'll have a intelligent response

I played it, I finished it and like I said I liked it although I think it’s overrated in every metric. Do you really think the game invented the behind the shoulder camera, and the basic combat system? Did you think the story of GoW was original in any way?

If you change something but just do exactly what other games do it’s not particularly bold or disruptive. At least use examples of games that do something original like The Last Guardian or SotC.

To answer your question, a bold, from the ground up reimagining is going from Skyward Sword to Breath of the Wild. It’s not about turning Link into a father but rethinking the core game mechanics, the progression system, how you interact with the world. How you create a completely unique physics system governing everything in your game.

But again if you think GoW is bold and disruptive then good for you, we just don’t have the same definition.

Bryank75

Banned
So, if the developers of Hades like a game, that means that game inherits the prestige of said studios output?

Just a weird thing to put in there.

No just means that a really great indie developer who seemingly understands how to make a game great through clever game design, combat, art etc sees Returnal as a great game in his opinion. I would say he is in a strong position to judge a game.

Bryank75

Banned
Nice bait at end there.

Newly acquired Xbox studios exclusive games are still in development. We havnt seen their output yet.

It wasn't really meant to be bait at all....I just mean that they have not put out too much yet but I think they should take the time they need if it means their games end up being better.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I don't get the stunning and brave vibe from skimming the original article, but I understand why people reach that conclusion by how the transit article is presented. That Sammy Barker guy dragged a big red-herring in front of the original article, and not to mention he writes like a fucking child.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
What is really hilarious here is people criticizing PlayStation when...

Nintendo keep releasing Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and remakes every generation.

Xbox have been 'Halo, Gears and Forza' for over 15 years now

and the rest of the publishers are about the same or worse...

Activision Blizzard are reduced to being just a COD production company

EA makes sports games and remakes now, with slim to nothing else.

Ubisoft basically just reskin the same engine and have open-world with towers to climb to reveal the map gameplay with canned animation and bullet sponge enemies that are no fun to fight.

You need PlayStation to give you anything worth a damn in this industry.

Kokoloko85

Announcement: third person cinematic adventure.

Yeah just like Bloodborn, SotC, Astrobot, Dreams, Gravity Rush, Knack, Ratchet and Clank, Concrete Genie, The Last Guardian.…. because thats only what Sony does right.
Id rather all those and the cinematics adventures compared to what exclusives the competition is doing lol

As far as open world games go, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man and Horizon have some of the best combat, compared to other open worlds.

Kokoloko85

Ubisoft basically just reskin the same engine and have open-world with towers to climb to reveal the map gameplay with canned animation and bullet sponge enemies that are no fun to fight.

Exactly.

People keep saying Sony with another “3rd person cinematic adventure” but truth is the competition and others studios can’t come close to producing something like God of War or Uncharted. Only Rockstar can and they release like 1 new game a generation lol.

Plus Sony released games like Returnal, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, Everybody’s Golf, SotC, Ratchet and Clank, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Horizon, Demon Souls, Until dawn, The Last Guardian, Astrobot.
Aswell as game of the year winners and runner ups like God of War, TLOU2, Uncharted 4, Spider-man, Ghost of Tsushima etc

No1 is releasing close to the same quality or variety

JoeBudden

This is all facts.

Yeah just like Bloodborn, SotC, Astrobot, Dreams, Gravity Rush, Knack, Ratchet and Clank, Concrete Genie, The Last Guardian.…. because thats only what Sony does right.
Id rather all those and the cinematics adventures compared to what exclusives the competition is doing lol

As far as open world games go, Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-man and Horizon have some of the best combat, compared to other open worlds.

Chill it was a joke. Sotc, god of war, tlou and uncharted are some of my most favourite games.

Now that I have an xbox, I wish MS would jump more into that genre. I like FPSs but there's so many of them on Xbox. Likewise, I think Sony needs a few AAA fps games.

Bryank75

Banned
Chill it was a joke. Sotc, god of war, tlou and uncharted are some of my most favourite games.

Now that I have an xbox, I wish MS would jump more into that genre. I like FPSs but there's so many of them on Xbox. Likewise, I think Sony needs a few AAA fps games.

They do, as I say PS makes great games but they have some issues and they really need that big 1st party fps and a WRPG along with a few other things....

There are definitely many criticisms to level at them.

Not enough studios either.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Not trolling but what daring games have we seen so far? Genuine question, as most games I have seen/played are fairly safe bets. Great games none the less

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You really shouldn't compare Hulst to Phil Spencer, because when the latter was in the equivalent position at Xbox (2008-2014) it was the period when first-party output was at its absolute worst!

Now you could try blaming that on Don Mattrick, but the reality is that he was only president between 2010-and 2013, and given the multi-year lead times on product commissioning and development Spencer is inarguably far more culpable than him.

Phil may talk a good game, and be popular with the Xbox fanbase, but let's be honest its 2021 and STILL Xbox are going into a holiday quarter with Halo and Forza as their flagship offerings.

Kokoloko85

Lol.
Agreed. They need some FPS’s, WRPG’s, another racer and a 1st party JRPG.
Id also like them to bring back Sly Racoon and Jak

Saber

Gold Member
I'm scraching my head over this "daring". Sounds like sweetdumb talk for the social media, equivalent to be brave or something.
Nah, if thats what you mean I'm cool with japanese games. Those guys rock. Either way, you could do a better talk.

Kokoloko85

I have a feeling Santa Monica is gonna kill off Kratos so they can match TLOU2 and make Loki the main character.
Id rather they kill of Loki and let Kratos travel the globe like predicted

martino

When you see game design of games he pushes for him to say that it only shows how far his sight is from any specificity of this media.
But the question is more did any publisher producing AAA even consider them nowadays.

Last edited:
I'd take their games over anything else the industry is putting out.... they put everyone else to shame.

I think these reductive takes are so disrespectful to the hard work of developers. Sure, Uncharted had its formula (That is the pulp genre / style) but games like TLOU are daring, even if I didn't think much of the story in the second game. The re-imagining of GOW was ballsy and wasn't afraid to have a videogamey world instead of going full open-world.

Who else would fund a crazy idea like Death Stranding?

How long have we been waiting for a samurai Assassins Creed and Sucker Punch just made Ubisoft games look like crap in comparison, the combat, world and gameplay just towers over everything in any assassins creed.

Astrobot... incredible and doesnt fit in your cinematic AAA box.

R&C....also amazing and a perfect blend of shooter and platformer perfected over generations and appealing to all ages

Returnal was incredibly brave too, to fund a once indie studio to adapt their bullet hell gameplay into a AAA budget game.... that is fucking cool and the developers of Hades agree.

Sackboy with its musical levels was cool as hell too.

Ever think you are not being at all objective?

There are problems at PlayStation but I wouldn't agree with your assertions about their games.
And Dreams, who would invest in Dreams? And they never abandoned The Last Guardian, for over 6 years in development! (Shouldn't be mentioning that one too loud since it's probably one of the reasons Japan Studio was closed. But they certainly stayed with it and released it. An overlooked masterpiece.

Some people here underestimate and would never understand the guts it takes to make a sequel like The Last of Us 2. Some say it was moronic and doing it all for an agenda and all that shit. But Sony backed that up, when every other studio would have done a "by the numbers" sequel, they dared to push the envelope, and Sony didn't step in the way. That's guts.

Saber

Gold Member
I have a feeling Santa Monica is gonna kill off Kratos so they can match TLOU2 and make Loki the main character.

Not even them are that level of stupidity to kill the bread and butter of series. LOU2 was moved by ego and political ideas to reach that demented result, only to people create rumors about the first one being remade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom