• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store on PS3 and PS Vita Will Continue Operations

EDMIX

If they want to make it easier on themselves they could just contact one of those companies who already make retro consoles game players and have them make it.
Hell no lol

That would be even worse as what it takes to pull this off can't be done by other company as well as it could be done by Nintendo and Sony themselves. So it won't be easy to do, but shit it shouldn't be easy to do lol

I don't know if I'd trust them outsourcing something like this. We don't want not GV quality around here lol

NahaNago

Hell no lol

That would be even worse as what it takes to pull this off can't be done by other company as well as it could be done by Nintendo and Sony themselves. So it won't be easy to do, but shit it shouldn't be easy to do lol

I don't know if I'd trust them outsourcing something like this. We don't want not GV quality around here lol
As long as it can play the games and you can buy it online is all that should really matter for these old games. Maybe add a few quality of life additions to the consoles, uprez the games , and your good.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
eXnyUp8.jpg

So looks like players complaining can actually work at times.
Worship a game console gets you nowhere. As a consumer you had to demand things. If you just treat a company's PR like Word of God, you will just get exploited.

In fact, I would argue that fans don't complain ENOUGH. No, I don't mean shitting on the competition; if you were never spending money on the competition, then your complaints carry no bite. Your power as a fan comes from complaining to the company you are spending money on.

I still think it made financial sense to shut the old online stores; however it is clear that they didn't put any thought on the optics. And the money they would save is probably negligible.

TTOOLL

I think we should move to a future where the developers could offer their games on their own platforms too, like Blizzard does. I can go there right now and buy Diablo 2. This would ensure people would have access to old games, and companies like Sony and Microsoft wouldn't need to support old platforms that don't generate enough revenue.

I could go to Naughty Dog's store and buy all their old games and so on.

RAIDEN1

I think we should move to a future where the developers could offer their games on their own platforms too, like Blizzard does. I can go there right now and buy Diablo 2. This would ensure people would have access to old games, and companies like Sony and Microsoft wouldn't need to support old platforms that don't generate enough revenue.

I could go to Naughty Dog's store and buy all their old games and so on.
But you can't go to Evolution Studios and pick up a refresh of Motostorm 2 and 3 and RC

CamHostage

Btw, does this mean the legacy store on PC is back? I really don't want to use the PS3 store.

That's what frustrates me about this whole "commerce support challenges for older devices". It's not really the interface of the legacy devices I'm so worried about.

If the different versions of PSN are a burden of outdated infrastructure, move all the software onto the new platform, add secure application transfer to the current console for older platforms (PS3 had the ability to download PSP and PS Vita games and transfer your purchases from the console to a portable, for some reason they never built that for PS4 and obviously not for PS5 but the protocol exists on the portables already to switch into Receiver mode; cabling a PS3 to a PS5 would be a little silly and also unwieldy as far as having 2 video signals going, but so be it if the alternative is no more PS3 games,) and shut down the old stuff that's costing a bunch or is a pain to maintain. Then, put the entire digitally-purchaseable library of PlayStation product back on the web for purchase, for PlayStation 5 and for whatever other piece of hardware comes down the line...

Not only was this ending of legacy PlayStation consoles a loss of availability to some great games, but it was a pretty clear marker that the history of PlayStation games was no longer to be maintained. PS5 not only can't play PS3 games, it can't play the PS1 games and PS2 games and PSP games that PS3 could run. (PSP on PS3 in PSP Minis form, at least, although Sony had a limited PSP-on-PS3 emulator built that it never really exploited but that supported a surprising number of games.) PS4 didn't either, but even after the whole run of PS4, many still thought that was just an outlier that would be overcome some day. I don't know how we got through a whole console lifespan thinking, some day, that PlayStation was going to finally get those emulators ported to PS4 or the next PlayStation (maybe a PlayStation Classic that wasn't just a ROM box, but a real PlayStation console or portable piece dedicated to PSN software PS3 and below... one can dream...) and all our gaming collection would be back online to play. (Or heck, not even to play, just to feel secure that it was there if we ever wanted it, in our PlayStation library that we've been building for 15 years and were looking forward to enlarging more and more in the years to come...) That of course never happened with PS4, and Sony gave us little hope that things would change with PS5 (despite the patents and the skirting of the question and all that,) but there was always still a wish for hope.

Closing the web store for old platforms, then planning to close the PSP/PS3/PS Vita store, that a signal that hope was at an end for legacy games in PlayStation's future, and I don't understand why Sony didn't (and in some days still doesn't) understand the value of that. It's worth more than the low game sales tell you it's worth. It's worth more than whatever couple of months of effort it would take to migrate old software onto the new servers and use PS5's and current PSN's fulfillment services* to sell old games. It's got to be worth more than the server costs (especially servers that still need to be on for re-downloading anyway, right?) It's worth more than you're data tells you it's worth about how little the majority of owners use their old consoles and handhelds. Good will on loyalty gives back more than the numbers tells you it's worth.

(*Granted, there could be some kind of "mechanical rights" agreements for what can and cannot be used in selling older PS games under a certain contract. There must be way, way more to the mechanics and the logistics and the legalities and the costs of all this than us gamers at home know about. Maybe there's a hurdle too high that we don't know about. But goddamn, Sony, we're expecting you to try with everything you've got if you expect us to continue calling ourselves "PlayStation gamers".)

Agent X

Closing the web store for old platforms, then planning to close the PSP/PS3/PS Vita store, that a signal that hope was at an end for legacy games in PlayStation's future, and I don't understand why Sony didn't (and in some days still doesn't) understand the value of that. It's worth more than the low game sales tell you it's worth. It's worth more than whatever couple of months of effort it would take to migrate old software onto the new servers and use PS5's and current PSN's fulfillment services* to sell old games. It's got to be worth more than the server costs (especially servers that still need to be on for re-downloading anyway, right?) It's worth more than you're data tells you it's worth about how little the majority of owners use their old consoles and handhelds. Good will on loyalty gives back more than the numbers tells you it's worth.

I totally agree.

I'm sure that good will factored into this decision. But, there are many facets to this issue.

If they can update and modernize the PlayStation Store (on the Web), then they can begin the process of migrating the PS3/PSP/PS Vita games over. They can "reopen" sales of these games to those who are browsing on their computers or mobile devices--just allow them to filter by platform. If you want to make it more user-friendly, perform a check of the systems that the user has registered through PSN, and display a warning if the user attempts to purchase a game for which he owns no compatible systems.

Making the games available on a unified PS Store also keeps options open for future expansion. If Sony ever decides to bring some of those games over to PS4/PS5, then they'll already have some of the infrastructure in place. Although this was not publicly stated by Sony, I hope that is yet another facet that they might have considered.

Killer8

Here comes the backpedaling. Wonder where all the corporate sell outs defending the move are now. Probably the very same people now congratulating Sony...

"This is so good, thank you Jim Ryan-san!" If a man holds a gun to your family and decides "maybe I won't kill them after all", you should feel relief but still be pretty pissed they did it in the first place.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
OK guys, now tell me (and sorry if it has been discussed before).

How do you get credit for the US store if you’re in Europe?
Years ago, I could buy PS store cards online with no hassle whatsoever.

Now:
- the US store still doesn’t accept CCs not based in the US.
- the US store adamantly refuses to let me access my PayPal, saying that my credentials aren’t correct even if I input them correctly.
- two online stores I tried to buy a card from refused my transaction for reasons not fully explained.

Where do you go/what do you do if you want to buy US games from Europe?

Mokus

Now:
- the US store adamantly refuses to let me access my PayPal, saying that my credentials aren’t correct even if I input them correctly.
- two online stores I tried to buy a card from refused my transaction for reasons not fully explained.

Have you tried eBay?

Onironauta

Now:

I buy card codes on sites like Cdkeys, it's pretty easy

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I buy card codes on sites like Cdkeys, it's pretty easy
Yeah, I tried Cdkeys but they didn’t have anything but $10 cards (I have a list of PSOne games I want to buy and I need at least $150), and now they seem to be completely out of stock of US cards of any size.

The PS3 store limiting your cart to 10 items is pretty asinine, too. And I’d still like to know what on earth is wrong with the PayPal login from the store.

Now:

- Create an Amazon.com account with a real US address (there are tutorials to do this).
- You can use your European Credit card on your Amazon.com account
- Buy US PSN gift card
- Use your PSN gift card on the Playstation US store
- On your PS3 (or PS4, PS5) select a US address by selecting a state without taxes (there are tutorials for this)
- Buy any US games you want on your US PSN account and download them
- Switch to your Pal PSN account in order to play those games on your regular account (for the trophies)

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
- Create an Amazon.com account with a real US address (there are tutorials to do this).
- You can use your European Credit card on your Amazon.com account
- Buy US PSN gift card
- Use your PSN gift card on the Playstation US store
- On your PS3 (or PS4, PS5) select a US address by selecting a state without taxes (there are tutorials for this)
- Buy any US games you want on your US PSN account and download them
- Switch to your Pal PSN account in order to play those games on your regular account (for the trophies)
I created a US account on my Euro PS3 a long time ago. I actually bought games with that account in the past. That's why I am surprised that it seems that he so hard to add credit for it today.

I have an Amazon.com account, but do they sell digital codes? I can only find a physical $50 card, and the shipping for that is €25...

I created a US account on my Euro PS3 a long time ago. I actually bought games with that account in the past. That's why I am surprised that it seems that he so hard to add credit for it today.

I have an Amazon.com account, but do they sell digital codes? I can only find a physical $50 card, and the shipping for that is €25...
You'll get the PSN code by email once the purchase is validated.

Last edited:

Mokus

>>eBay I bought from them over the years plenty of store credit for the PSN UK.

No shipping, you get your code in less than 10 minutes.

Top Bottom