• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store on PS3 and PS Vita Will Continue Operations

People acting like this was done for the fans....it would probably only be a small part of the equation the rest would be completely commercial related.....until Sony stop charging people $70 for dlc type games I don’t really thing they have learned anything

Derktron

Banned
Look at that Sony had to retract their statement in shutting down the servers only to retract their statement on shutting it down. Good on Sony for making the decision to keep it on. Now people need to force Sony to do backwards compatibility on these systems. Because the people have spoken.

Interfectum

Ignorance I tell you. Makes me want to smash my head against the wall
Do It GIF by Breaking Bad

sol_bad

Damn straight they should keep them open. They make billions through PS+ and I bet only 20% of it goes to keeping the service running and acquiring monthly game exclusives.

ShadowLag

You know, Jim Ryan, if enough players expressed their concerns so greatly enough that you reversed such a decision, maybe you should use that knowledge to integrate PS1-2-3 BC into the PS5 and sell absolutely FUCKING GANGBUSTERS amounts of PS5s

But what do I know, I'm just some guy over here looking at buying an XSX this gen instead of a PS5 mainly because of that very feature.

Last edited:

Pantz

Gold Member
I prefer to imagine this decision coming from up top and Jim Ryan seething about people playing old games.

This is pretty good news for those interested.

Glad to see that consumers still can voice their opinions and companies listen to it.

lachesis

I'm super glad. Best news I've heard today.
Now, give some love by making a "light & fast" version of the storefront with easy & no-nonsense layout for older machines that struggles please.... and some deep discount sales!

NahaNago

Great move. They can shut down the store at a later date and have folks rush to buy games again. I've never understood why Nintendo and Sony never just created their own versions of bc retro consoles. Slap an online store plus add the ability to play the old cartridge or disc and your good to go.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Great move. They can shut down the store at a later date and have folks rush to buy games again. I've never understood why Nintendo and Sony never just created their own versions of bc retro consoles. Slap an online store plus add the ability to play the old cartridge or disc and your good to go.

Small market. Not as much people care about that as many think, those that do care about it collect systems in the first place, thus only have buying such a thing as an optional luxury. They'd have to have a limited release or something. So I think it would be cool to have some limited fancy PS system that played PS3, PS2 and PS1, minus web browser and other features to cut cost to make it make sense (if they need to), simply that I don't really know how much really, REALLY care about that stuff. Most consumers move on from a new release within weeks, let alone several generations.

The Nintendo one would be even worse, as shit you'd have to have a whole set up with different cartridge adaptors, controller port adaptors etc.....might be easier and cheaper to literally port the entire library.

Good. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, its still temporary though.

Give us some grand PS3 sales once in a while and allow limited run companies do some physical edition of the digital only PS3 games.

Its just a PR move. The PS3 store is like off road driving for those people who buy Landrover: nobody actually uses it but it needs to be there for psychological reasons.

Hey, buddy, how about you go back to obeying and consuming the newest, shiniest, prettiest product on the market because your corporation instructed you to do so.

kyliethicc

Small market. Not as much people care about that as many think, those that do care about it collect systems in the first place, thus only have buying such a thing as an optional luxury. They'd have to have a limited release or something. So I think it would be cool to have some limited fancy PS system that played PS3, PS2 and PS1, minus web browser and other features to cut cost to make it make sense (if they need to), simply that I don't really know how much really, REALLY care about that stuff. Most consumers move on from a new release within weeks, let alone several generations.

The Nintendo one would be even worse, as shit you'd have to have a whole set up with different cartridge adaptors, controller port adaptors etc.....might be easier and cheaper to literally port the entire library.

If Sony slap together a box to run PS123 games off disc via emulation and keep it "limited edition" to force demand up front... it'll sell out.

Or it'll certainly let them test demand for old games.

EDMIX

If Sony slap together a box to run PS123 games off disc via emulation and keep it "limited edition" to force demand up front... it'll sell out.

Oh trust, I don't disagree with that based on how the mini consoles sold.

It can be done, but I don't think the majority of the market cares, but those that do will move heaven and earth to obtain it.

NahaNago

I doubt it would be cheaper to port the entire library than create a console to play games. Plus they already have the know how of creating the controllers. This is a luxury item.

Nintendo is easy. Make a retro console that only plays a portion of each library. Nintendo, supernintendo, n64, and gb games one console. The other console could play gamecube, wii , and wii u games. The handheld could just play all handheld games since it mostly just 3 types of cartridge from gameboy, to gba, and ds. Folks already buy the non official retro devices so they would buy these as well. I doubt they would be ridiculous numbers but it would be some extra cash and goodwill.

As someone who tends to downplay bc , I agree that this would sell pretty well. They could probably easily sell a couple million if it is marketed right. They pretty much sold the ps4 off of nostalgia marketing so they could easily sell these as well. They could even squeeze a handheld out of this as well and play psp, vita, ps1, ps2, and ps4 games.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I doubt it would be cheaper to port the entire library than create a console to play games. Plus they already have the know how of creating the controllers. This is a luxury item.

Nintendo is easy. Make a retro console that only plays a portion of each library. Nintendo, supernintendo, n64, and gb games one console. The other console could play gamecube, wii , and wii u games. The handheld could just play all handheld games since it mostly just 3 types of cartridge from gameboy, to gba, and ds. Folks already buy the non official retro devices so they would buy these as well. I doubt they would be ridiculous numbers but it would be some extra cash and goodwill.

As someone who tends to downplay bc , I agree that this would sell pretty well. They could probably easily sell a couple million if it is marketed right. They pretty much sold the ps4 off of nostalgia marketing so they could easily sell these as well. They could even squeeze a handheld out of this as well and play psp, vita, ps1, ps2, and ps4 games.

If you feel just. I don't think it would be easy, but I don't think it would be impossible.

NahaNago

If you feel just. I don't think it would be easy, but I don't think it would be impossible.
If they want to make it easier on themselves they could just contact one of those companies who already make retro consoles game players and have them make it.

Top Bottom