• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store on PS3 and PS Vita Will Continue Operations

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
03f094de51c4f0932f7bc740b2b181e0_w200.gif

Keihart

Never get tweets or comments like this. @davidjaffe I use my Vita and PS3 semi-regularly still (as in every couple of months I’ll play a game on them), I still play N64 games once in a while too.

It was a shit decision, people rightfully complained, Sony reversed it. Good stuff.
Im replaying since like a month ago the Persona games, and there is 1 psp exclusive (Innocent sin), 1 remaster (Persona 1) and 1 classic (Persona 2). I had bought them already, but i had to download them when the news hit since finding them in the download list its a proper nightmare.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Great job internet now everyone can go back to ignoring PS3 and PSV.
I think this has done the opposite. People now know PS3/PSV are on the clock. Combine that with the fact that this is year of the backlog due to Covid, and you're going to see way more people trying to finish PS3/Vita games now.

Last edited by a moderator:

skit_data

I see a lot of people bringing up PS5 BC

I would actually be a little pissed if they were to develop some type of PS1/PS2/PS3 emulation for PS5. I bought the Digital Edition under the presumption it wouldn’t be there.

they probably sold more games the past 5 months than the pass 5 years. Hell I was gonna buy some games even tho I no longer have those consoles.

LordOfChaos

Interesting. Nice to see some faster reactivity to users from them. I went PS5 so far but did think Microsoft had been doing communication and responsiveness to fan critiques better.

The Shepard

I'm glad they announced that it was closing. It got me to buy all the ps3 games I rented on 360 back in the day and I'm enjoying replaying them more than playing on my ps5 and series x atm.

I just wish they'd patch full ps4/5 controller support for the ps3 because the dualshock 3 has aged and dualsense doesn't work with a lot of games and is brilliant on the ps3 games it does work on.

Really happy with the back peddle, now have a massive sale to celebrate.

CamHostage

I would actually be a little pissed if they were to develop some type of PS1/PS2/PS3 emulation for PS5. I bought the Digital Edition under the presumption it wouldn’t be there.
Back-compat would be a problem with the discs of PS1 and part of PS2 whichever way they did it if they ever did, as apparently it doesn't have the right laser to read CDs (I guess that's a thing?), only DVD and BD.

Last edited:

TheAssist

I hope this doesnt hold back the development of future online services too much. From what I heard the legacy support for PS3 PSN is a bitch.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I mean, it'd be cool if you could play disc-based games. But even still there are hundreds of PS1 and PS2 games that were digitally available for the PS3. If they let me play those downloads without having to dust off my PS3, I'd be pretty excited.

As it is, I don't even bother any more because there are way better ways of playing older PlayStation games, and they all involve emulation. And in the case of PS1 games, also achievements.

fart town usa

Gold Member
You mean cross buy games which have bought on PS4 Store. 😜
Ha, maybe? Resident Evil 0, various Ratchet and Clank games, some other random items too. I'm like 10 years behind the curve, always. During the PS8 I'll be talking about playing Demon's Souls on the PS5 for the first time, lol.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony closing the stores made gamers sick anyway it’s good that the PS3 is having another moment in the sun I called it that they would extend the PS3 and have a Horizon announcement (Complete edition free) Can’t wait till Sony announced full backwards compatibility next.
Angry John Cena GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good point. Sony with the good trick here. Probably made $10 million in a few weeks with this trick.
Someone on the purple board said he bought 20 Vita games in anticipation of the store getting closed down. lol

The stores werent even planned to shut down until July and August. No need to buy up games when you got 3-4 months to spare.

[Sigma]

That stuff wasn't costing them much. Jim was out here trying to save pennies. They made a good profit off the situation I bet though. Now redesign that damn trash webstore. Yes, since Jim actually posted in the blog, I took the time to bitch about this stuff in the comment section. We need to stop apologizing for this company when they try to take stuff away from us.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Ummm, might be a possibility but you might have to switch your modem to 2g, most newer modems let you switch between to two but disconnects the other or they have dual 2g/5g connection which allows both connection at the same time.
Yeah I have both 2.4 and 5. It won't connect or see either of them.

MiguelItUp

This is great, of course! But also still incredibly concerning to me. I mean, why were you even trying to remove them in the first place if you could've just effortlessly kept them? Eeesh.

Agent X

This is great news! I'm happy that Sony listened to their users and reconsidered their decision.

I'd like to know if they'll still allow PS Vita games to be certified after June of this year. If they can commit to an extension, then this would enable some developers to resume working on projects that they had recently canceled.

Is it wrong to think they did this only when they got too see the sales numbers during the last few weeks?

I imagine they realised there was more people out there willing to buy games on those platforms than they thought.
I don’t know about that really. I don’t think it’s representative and they already know how much people buy when they aren’t panic buying.

Hell I could see them making more money in the two months then they would in over a year having the store open.

RaZoR No1

I'm glad they announced that it was closing. It got me to buy all the ps3 games I rented on 360 back in the day and I'm enjoying replaying them more than playing on my ps5 and series x atm.

I just wish they'd patch full ps4/5 controller support for the ps3 because the dualshock 3 has aged and dualsense doesn't work with a lot of games and is brilliant on the ps3 games it does work on.

Really happy with the back peddle, now have a massive sale to celebrate.
Cant you use the PS4 controller on the PS3 AFAIK I read someting like that in the past

b2t
great move from Sony, really happy that they took back the decision

RaZoR No1

Yeah I have both 2.4 and 5. It won't connect or see either of them.
have you checked the Wifi Channel, Wifi Security (try WEP, I know, it is not safe, but it is just for testing) and maybe the channel width to 20.
Of course Wifi Legacy / B/G should help too

Praise the sun. Hopefully the sales volume on ps3/vita stores was high enough to get Sony to realize they're leaving money on the table by not having a BC solution for their legacy titles on the ps5.

emmerrei

Ah yes, the PS3 Store who takes 5 minutes to open, and runs at 1fps. I ended using it from the "Metro" Update. Completly unusable, pure trash. They can just close it, it's like non-existent anyway.
Or they can revert it to pre-metro update. Build in in the firmware on the nand flash. Lightining speed to open it. You ended up opening it just to check what was going on, thanks to the speed, it had.

This probably means the likelihood of legacy content being added to the PS5 store is less likely, but I hope we still see PS1, PS2 and PS3 games added in the future (I know there's a few PS2 games from the PS4 but they need a refresh, some of them are totally busted on PS5 and the emulation quality was already a mixed bag before that).

RAIDEN1

Thank the lord for small mercies....seeing as Sony messed up when it came to backward compatibility its good to hear they listened to the fans, it was only yesterday that I was re-visiting Spec Ops the Line, Motorstorm 3 and Resistance Fall of Man for the 1st time...and I'd much rather play Streetfighter 3 PS3 version than the recent collection..

Isa

Gold Member
I'm happy with the news, but this weekend I pulled out my PS3 ready to buy a few games across my US and JPN/HK region accounts but I don't have the option. The store was always slow but I had forgotten that it bugged out a good while ago, I believe like 2014 for me when I was still playing on PS3 alot as there wasn't much to play on PS4 at the time. It sucks, my PS3 just doesn't have the option. So I just packed it away. I've been wanting to check out some lost or classic titles I love but without proper emulation across PS5 and 4 I guess they'd prefer people just resort to piracy. Nice to see they hear the community every now and then though.

Top Bottom