• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store: November 2023’s top downloads

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
SIE released an official letter stating losing CoD will be detrimental to their revenue and console sales. They also say it's nearly impossible for them to make a competing franchise.

Jim Ryan stated, just at the thought of receiving a 'degraded' version of CoD "our business will never recover"

I'm not just telling you things we already know, I'm mostly quoting official communique, without much or any paraphrasing. It's not non-sense, through out 2022 and the first half of 2023, Sony has, in one way or another, stated how important the CoD franchise is to the playstation eco-system. If you can find me some instances where anyone from Activision said vice-versa, I'll happily acknowledge it.

Try quoting everything he said.

Any degradation in the price, performance, or quality of play on PlayStation or any delays
on release would quickly harm SIE’s reputation and cause a loss of engagement and of
players
. As SIE’s CEO, Jim Ryan, explained to the CMA at the Remedies Hearing, if
PlayStation received a degraded version of Call of Duty, it would “seriously damage our
reputation. Our gamers would desert our platform in droves and network effects would
exacerbate the problem. Our business would never recover.”

How can you not understand this?

Look, I'll make it easier for you.

If Microsoft started releasing COD with terrible performance on PlayStation (degrading quality) and started delaying releases, then that would hurt the PlayStations' reputation which they cannot recover from because that would be their output going forward. That is in no way saying how they would survive as a company, they're talking specifically about reputational damage.

Reputational damage and not being able to recover is how MS claims they were not able to recover from what happened in 2013 during E3. But this and that are not comparable situations.

TL-DR, when you say this:

It's not accurate.

It is. You move from, "They will go out of business without COD" to "It will hurt their reputation."

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Unless call of duty mixes it up I’m giving my money to dice I’m not sure why people bought literally the same game as 2022. I love call of duty 4, world at war, black ops, vanguard, world war 2 this is a historic franchise in decline.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony didn't have the top selling "home" console in history without cod?

They've never had a case where the biggest selling IP was published by a rival console either. Jim didn't say "we'll be fine, remember the PS2" to FTC/CMA.

Unknown?

SIE released an official letter stating losing CoD will be detrimental to their revenue and console sales. They also say it's nearly impossible for them to make a competing franchise.

Jim Ryan stated, just at the thought of receiving a 'degraded' version of CoD "our business will never recover"

I'm not just telling you things we already know, I'm mostly quoting official communique, without much or any paraphrasing. It's not non-sense, through out 2022 and the first half of 2023, Sony has, in one way or another, stated how important the CoD franchise is to the playstation eco-system. If you can find me some instances where anyone from Activision said vice-versa, I'll happily acknowledge it.

TL-DR, when you say this:

It's not accurate.
It is accurate. COD leaving PS won't kill it but COD collapsing will utterly kill Activision.

adamsapple

It is accurate. COD leaving PS won't kill it but COD collapsing will utterly kill Activision.

CoD is too big to collapse in the short to medium term. Even in their worst received entry year where the development was done in a rushed manner, widely reported as such, it's still the chart topper on all platforms.

Unknown?

CoD is too big to collapse in the short to medium term. Even in their worst received entry year where the development was done in a rushed manner, widely reported as such, it's still the chart topper on all platforms.
That doesn't change anything in regards to what I said.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
COD isnt going anywhere.

Not only does it still sell shitloads of copies, but there's also tons of F2P Warzone gamers who spend money, but who wont show up in sales unit charts.

Last edited:

adamsapple

That doesn't change anything in regards to what I said.

It does though, you're agreeing with the point that CoD need Sony, CoD will be fine without Sony. But it's not gonna come to that in the first place, Sony will fight tooth and nail to prevent it from happening.

S0ULZB0URNE

It does though, you're agreeing with the point that CoD need Sony, CoD will be fine without Sony. But it's not gonna come to that in the first place, Sony will fight tooth and nail to prevent it from happening.
Because Sony makes a shit ton of money with cod.

Top Bottom