• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation State of Play | August 6th 2020 | NO MAJOR PS5 ANNOUNCEMENTS

CamHostage

Even the PS4 games shown will be playable on PS5.

Sure, but in a console transition, game buyers will feel that it matters (whether it does or not, although there hasn't been a cross-gen game yet that hasn't looked it IMO) to know whether a game is running in backwards-compatibility mode, an enhanced/Optimized For build, or exclusively made for next-gen. That may unfairly punish a new current-gen game that is really juiced up and would run circles around a next-gen title (especially a launch effort, and particularly now running up against a deadline in a time of global difficulties,) but it's better to say it than to gloss over that distinction, in my opinion.

Hood I think unfairly got a deflated, "WTF, this is next-gen?" response (GAF only just now got around to an OT for the game) and that's probably unfair to so quickly dismiss, of all things, a Sumo Digital project.

chasimus

Should've flipped Godfall and Crash 4's showing. Otherwise, it was a decent showing of indies and VR. Super sad they didn't show any Kena too....

Humdinger

It was a normal State of Play. People are so dramatic.

I was interested in Pathless, that's about it. I saw it advertised as PS5, but it was originally announced for PS4, so I assume it's coming to PS4 as well. I was glad to hear it's still on track for holiday 2020 -- hadn't heard anything in a long while. I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay, but I'll pick it up.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Excited for Braid tbh

Isa

A disturbing lack of Jrpgs, or anything from Japan really. But I love Spelunky, its one of my most played games and I still get on just about daily. Genshin Impact looks like it has potential. I hope it turns out alright. Godfall is somewhat piquing my interest but I still don't like the art style. Control dlc looks cool enough. Pathless, Temtem, Crash and Hitman 3 could be good, I might snag them on a sale.

I hope Sony brings the heat with the next PS5 showing. I'm gettin' anxious over here. I miss E3.

Hezekiah

Banned
Hood Outlaws and Legends looked interesting, maybe nothing revolutionary game-wise but the setting reminded me a bit of The Witcher. Also I never realised Sumo had eight studios, thought they were just one small studio.

Foundation DLC sucked. So i have no hopes from AWE.

I played it.

Bad show nothing good or new . Right up there with May Xbox inside

The XsX was a game showcase reveal for next gen. Do you people even read when these things are announced, what they will focus on? They specifically said no major PS5 updates and mostly indie game this time around for PS4. This isnt E3, its once every 2-3 months showing what games are coming up. Learn to read what the show is going to be about rather than expecting its E3 highlights every 2 months.

They have a separate show for PS5 at end of August and obviously both consoles will show off next gen at gamescom. If you bothered reading beforehand, you could of saved yourself 40 minutes of your life. Dont blame SONY for that.

Last edited:

Entroyp

I just watched the whole Godfall video and I liked it. I hope the braindead AI was intentional to show off all the moves.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I had pretty much zero interest in Godfall when I thought Gearbox was developing it. Then I had barely more than zero when I found out it wasn't them.

But that video today made me a lot more interested. I wanna try out the polearm.

SkylineRKR

There was nothing wrong with this State of Play, it was always aimed at PS4. But what bothers people is that the PS5 is like 3 months away and there is still no price being announced yet. And I guess no dates for launch software.

Likely later this month. They have to do it anyway for those pre orders to start.

Raonak

Banned
Pretty solid state of play, I liked what I saw. Keen for that journey archer game, Spelunky, hitman vr, bugsnacks, temtem and godfall.

DonF

Meh showing. Godfall looks kinda promising. I liked the focus on "this is not a live service game" so it's a single player game, loot oriented, part god of war, I like it.
Other than that, nothing interesting.

Danttte

Banned
Only things that remotely appealed to me were Godfall and Hitman VR. Been along time since I've even pulled out my VR helmet so I wouldn't mind trying Hitman. Hope it supports the VR gun.
Godfall seems playable but I can see myself being bored after an hour. The story appears to be non factor and the game play is repetitive even in that short demo. Some nice reflections and particles but gosh, the PS5 launch lineup appears really thin at this stage. I want to find out more about Godfall.

thelastword

Banned
Best show I've seen in the last three weeks......Lots of gameplay.
Because Sony ripped off Nintendo. Next question.
I guess many of you arent' familiar with QORE.

Some good looking games so far....

Uh-oh....Bugsnax :messenger_neutral:
Actually Bugsnax looks like it could be a hit.....The developer made Octodad, which was a pretty solid game. The developer is not known for it's graphics, but they make a good game which is fun for the kids....The artstyle is similar to Octodad actually...
As enemies stand around doing nothing and you execute your canned combos, you'll acquire loot
I was thinking the same, enemy wise, but I think the enemies were just set on easy. On higher difficulties I can imagine people pulling their hair off...Hacker Slasher games can be one of the easiest games to up the difficulty, so you can definitely expect the enemies to be aggressive when not trying to show the combat without dying...

Gamernyc78

Banned
What a bunch of hot garbage. Hood & and the little flash of something for Control look like they could be interesting, Hitman looks OK but we already saw it in either one of the Xbox or PS5 shows. The rest look like really low-end kiddie/cartoony shovelware indies.
Stop hating boo we see you 😂😂 you not amusing us 👌🔥your schilling is obvious go get tht Spencer check ma

One game shown was better than Craig's halo and the whole Microsoft conference. Tht says alot ❤️❤️

Last edited:
Is it here that God of War will be announced for PC ?
Look at the PC port of Horizon Zero Dawn on Digital Foundry and than you know that the best version is on PS4(Pro).
That is not a good sign for an eventual PC port for God Of War...So play GoW on Playstation for the best version😉

Stop hating boo we see you 😂😂 you not amusing us 👌🔥your schilling is obvious go get tht Spencer check ma

One game shown was better than Craig's halo and the whole Microsoft conference. Tht says alot ❤❤

i thought the state of play was more entertainingly put together than the xbox july 23rd event. The biggest issue in the xbox july 23rd event is the cut between real human beings talking to cut back to games, the lack of engaging ambient music etc. When you compare that to black backgrounds with Jimbo talking about "Today is the day we've been waiting for years." and the subtle ambient music, i had chills man.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
goddamn I've missed it. How was it though? Any decent announcements?

Humdinger

Nothing major, no.

Sony announced beforehand there wouldn't be any PS5 news or announcements, and that it'd be focused mostly on indies releasing in the next few months. People didn't listen, and now they're upset that they didn't get PS5 news or major game announcements. People can be pretty irrational sometimes.

Just set your expectations to where Sony said to set them, and you'll be fine. It's an indie showcase focused on the remainder of the year (i.e., mostly PS4, some overlap with PS5). It's very similar to other SoP's in the past. There's some Godfall, Crash Bandicoot, and Hitman mixed in there, too, but mostly it's small indie games. You might find one you're interested in, I don't know.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Look at the PC port of Horizon Zero Dawn on Digital Foundry and than you know that the best version is on PS4(Pro).
That is not a good sign for an eventual PC port for God Of War...So play GoW on Playstation for the best version😉

Already finished GOW on PS4 Pro (and Horizon too)
For why I want a PC port: 60 FPS and more important, GOW is a masterpiece, and the more people can play it, the better it is.
Look at Death Stranding PC port, it's beautiful, same goes for all the games by Quantic Dream. So yeah HZD isn't perfect, but nothing that can't be fixed.

HeadsUp7Up

At this point there’s noting that either system can show me to entice me to purchase them in 2020 or even 2021. It might change next Fall/Winter but the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are still great systems that will serve me well for the foreseeable future.

Hitman 3 and the whole trilogy in VR.

sorry tv folks can't relate, but being inside games is the most nextgen thing ever - even on ageing PS4 and psvr.

This should actually even ring a bell to Sony: I'm not impressed in the least with nothing they've shown so far for PS5 and them still releasing big games like this in VR for their previous platform ensures I won't be in need for PS5 yet... hard to follow their train of thought here...

Best show I've seen in the last three weeks......Lots of gameplay.

I guess many of you arent' familiar with QORE.

Actually Bugsnax looks like it could be a hit.....The developer made Octodad, which was a pretty solid game. The developer is not known for it's graphics, but they make a good game which is fun for the kids....The artstyle is similar to Octodad actually...

I was thinking the same, enemy wise, but I think the enemies were just set on easy. On higher difficulties I can imagine people pulling their hair off...Hacker Slasher games can be one of the easiest games to up the difficulty, so you can definitely expect the enemies to be aggressive when not trying to show the combat without dying...

I really enjoyed Octodad! Frustrating yes, but very original. Like some of the weird stuff Sega made back in the days.

Really funny as well, so I'm honestly looking forward to Bugsnax!

Top Bottom