• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Showcase 2021 |OT| September 9th (Show rating poll added)

How would you rate the PS5 Showcase?

• A

Votes: 83 16.2%
  • B

Votes: 147 28.7%
  • C

Votes: 133 25.9%
  • D

Votes: 98 19.1%
  • E

Votes: 52 10.1%

• Total voters

On Demand

Banned
E-7PxDyXMAgMCnJ

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Well that’s your opinion I guess. I’m guessing most would disagree with you. Metacritic will disagree with you as well. To me the games shown today are far more exciting. Spiderman 2, Wolverine, The new GoW. Forspoken. KotORR. Many more.

One thing that is not an opinion is that we saw no next gen gameplay fr sony first party at the sony event. Some People will obviously prefer the sony games over the MS ones, but in terms of showing off the new generation there was nothing from sony first party. Imo they should of shown more forbidden west as that game looks like its had some extensive work done and its surprising there is no vertical slice of Spiderman 2 considering its releasing a max of 2yrs, you would of thought pre production would be done if they are targeting 2023.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That is an opinion. The God of War: Ragnarok trailer showed gameplay, as did Gran Tourismo 7’s trailer.
They are cross gen games, designed with the limitations of the PS4. And they did not look like they have made extensive enhancements for the PS5 versions.

It will be interesting to see a digital foundry breakdown of the Ragnarok gameplay, but im confident that they will say that its a cross gen game, with enhancements to resolution and not the kind of geometry improvement we have seen in forbidden west and forza horizon 5.

Last edited:
I guess it probably depends on the context of the game's story. In the corporate world it'd all be about a numbers game; they probably know their target audience quite well, so in order to please the target audience they'd probably know how many black, asian or other races characters to drop in to keep the buyers happy.

I guess the easiest way is if the character seems out of place.

SLB1904

Banned
They are cross gen games, designed with the limitations of the PS4. And they did not look like they have made extensive enhancements for the PS5 versions.

It will be interesting to see a digital foundry breakdown of the Ragnarok gameplay, but im confident that they will say that its a cross gen game, with enhancements to resolution and not the kind of geometry improvement we have seen in forbidden west and forza horizon 5.
There is no point crying about it. It is what it is. People were mad when Sony imply they were leaving granny and poor timmy behind

Nickolaidas

Banned
I had a day to digest what I saw and rewatched the event, with no hopes of seeing Project Awakening or Bloodborne Remaster.

And I must say, I was wrong in my criticism.

This event delivered. I saw games I'm definitely interested in (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, KOTOR, Project Eve, Guardians, Forspoken and of course GoW), a games that look good for what they are but aren't my cup of tea (GT, Deathloop) and a few I couldn't care less even in a thousand lifetimes (GTA V).

The problem with the event was the order of games shown. It was a huge mistake to place all the big names (with a couple of exceptions) in the end. Showing Spider-Man 2 in the middle and Wolverine near the end of the first round of trailers would be much better, as well as GT7 near the end of the second third of the event (around the 22' mark). Heck, they could've shown Deathloop in the end just for shits and giggles and place GoW in its stead.

Another issue which is now painfully obvious is that the PS4. Is holding. The PS5. Back. It is PAINFULLY obvious now, with God of War looking like an expansion pack rather than a game which is literally ONE GENERATION ABOVE its predecessor. Cross-gen gaming has never been more urgent to piss off, with consoles having NvMe SSDs needing to make their games work on 1.4 terraflop machines with HDDs.

All in all, I changed my vote from E to B. It was good. I was just pissed off for not seeing EXACTLY what I wanted to see.

And last but not least, I'm 100% confident that Insomniac devs are not human beings.

saintjules

I had a day to digest what I saw and rewatched the event, with no hopes of seeing Project Awakening or Bloodborne Remaster.

This event delivered. I saw games I'm definitely interested in (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, KOTOR, Project Eve, Guardians, Forspoken and of course GoW), a games that look good for what they are but aren't my cup of tea (GT, Deathloop) and a few I couldn't care less even in a thousand lifetimes (GTA V).

The problem with the event was the order of games shown. It was a huge mistake to place all the big names (with a couple of exceptions) in the end. Showing Spider-Man 2 in the middle and Wolverine near the end of the first round of trailers would be much better, as well as GT7 near the end of the second third of the event (around the 22' mark). Heck, they could've shown Deathloop in the end just for shits and giggles and place GoW in its stead.

Another issue which is now painfully obvious is that the PS4. Is holding. The PS5. Back. It is PAINFULLY obvious now, with God of War looking like an expansion pack rather than a game which is literally ONE GENERATION ABOVE its predecessor. Cross-gen gaming has never been more urgent to piss off, with consoles having NvMe SSDs needing to make their games work on 1.4 terraflop machines with HDDs.

All in all, I changed my vote from E to B. It was good. I was just pissed off for not seeing EXACTLY what I wanted to see.

And last but not least, I'm 100% confident that Insomniac devs are not human beings.

I'll have to rewatch this again to see if my feelings for certain games changed. But I agree, the pacing was weird. It reminds me of certain action films. The direction feels unbalanced at the start, but pulls together by the middle/end of the feature presentation.

The Play Has No Limits Commercial should have been omitted from this. It was trying to set a tone for the showcase, but Sony should know by now most of us don't care about these ads. We want the games and gameplay. Which I feel they delivered on for the most part (C+ rating).

If they had re-arranged the titles to having spidey and wolverine first, along with the rest of the PS Studios games maybe it would have felt better presentation wise.

Interfectum

I'll have to rewatch this again to see if my feelings for certain games changed. But I agree, the pacing was weird. It reminds me of certain action films. The direction feels unbalanced at the start, but pulls together by the middle/end of the feature presentation.

The Play Has No Limits Commercial should have been omitted from this. It was trying to set a tone for the showcase, but Sony should know by now most of us don't care about these ads. We want the games and gameplay. Which I feel they delivered on for the most part (C+ rating).

If they had re-arranged the titles to having spidey and wolverine first, along with the rest of the PS Studios games maybe it would have felt better presentation wise.
I don't think they even needed a showcase. They could have just posted 4 videos on their blog (KOTOR, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, God of War 2) for nearly the same effect.

I feel like these showcases are more for their business partners than us. They all knew the middle of that showcase was full of fluff that no one cared about but they did it to please the other publishers.

Bartski

Gold Member

you have a point there, I was 100% hyper hyped for the Bloodborne HD clues appearing before the show again and I thought there was no way we're not seeing a Factions 2 announcement... instead, we got everything that would seem like a PR suicide pre-show, including Deathloop and GTAV.

Ragnarok looks exactly how I thought it will be after announcing cross-gen, I was bummed back then but I accept it so zero issues there, I'm sure it will be an amazing follow-up as it is.

I'm not a fan of Star Wars, haven't played KOTOR so the announcement of the remake did nothing for me...

It was alright, just not what I wanted.

there was some good stuff shown but for fucks sake why waste time showing stuff we already knew about? they literally wasted 20 mins just to get to the good stuff. they shoud have done a state of play instead.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That is an opinion. The God of War: Ragnarok trailer showed gameplay, as did Gran Tourismo 7’s trailer.
umm? Both of those are last gen games. It's not an opinion to state that. It's a fact rooted in common sense and reality.

SlimySnake

Really? I dont think it's really that outlandish to see a sequel take 2.5 years. Ratchet came out in June 2021 right? Spiderman 2 is likely a November 2023 game. ND made TLOU2 in 2.75 years after shipping Lost Legacy. A gen ago, everyone from Rocksteady to ND to Sucker Punch and even SSM used to get games out in 2-3 years.

That's what productive studios are supposed to do. Insomniac is simply run better. They just shipped Ratchet 3 months ago and yet have not one but two teams starting full production on two games. Meanwhile, Naughty Dog shipped TLOU2 and had fucking nothing to do leading their devs to go fuck around with the VSG studios reboot and harass Sony Bend's over their Uncharted reboot leading to that reboot getting cancelled. That's because Neil and Evan Wells sat around jerking each other off instead of having the next game ready to go into production. Neil was supposedly still throwing out ideas. He doesnt even know if he wants to do TLOU3 next. Like wtf? Get on it.

CoD teams churn out games every 3 years because they know that after they ship their game, they have to do it all over again in 3 years.

There is no reason why Horizon 2, BOTW 2, GOW 2 and Halo Infinite should be taking 5-6 years to make. We may not hear about it but I can promise you that these games were in development hell at one point or another.

yurinka

Really? I dont think it's really that outlandish to see a sequel take 2.5 years. Ratchet came out in June 2021 right? Spiderman 2 is likely a November 2023 game. ND made TLOU2 in 2.75 years after shipping Lost Legacy. A gen ago, everyone from Rocksteady to ND to Sucker Punch and even SSM used to get games out in 2-3 years.

That's what productive studios are supposed to do. Insomniac is simply run better. They just shipped Ratchet 3 months ago and yet have not one but two teams starting full production on two games. Meanwhile, Naughty Dog shipped TLOU2 and had fucking nothing to do leading their devs to go fuck around with the VSG studios reboot and harass Sony Bend's over their Uncharted reboot leading to that reboot getting cancelled. That's because Neil and Evan Wells sat around jerking each other off instead of having the next game ready to go into production. Neil was supposedly still throwing out ideas. He doesnt even know if he wants to do TLOU3 next. Like wtf? Get on it.

CoD teams churn out games every 3 years because they know that after they ship their game, they have to do it all over again in 3 years.

There is no reason why Horizon 2, BOTW 2, GOW 2 and Halo Infinite should be taking 5-6 years to make. We may not hear about it but I can promise you that these games were in development hell at one point or another.
Insomniac aren't wizards, they simply have more people and teams to work in multiple games at the same time even if teams help each other when needed, if we look at their directors and creative directors, some worked on multiple of these games both other ones only worked on these teams:
-The Spider-Man 2 (2023) team is the one from Spider-Man 1 (2018): 5 years between them
-Wolverine (TBA) team is the one from Miles Morales (2020): if they take 5 years will be released in 2025
-Rift Apart has leads who didn't work in these other projects

Most of the Sony games released in the recent years or planned for 2022 took 4-6 years of development.

Same goes with other big studios like Naughty Dog: somewhat recently they released TLOU2 that was made while others were working on Lost Legacy. After TLOU2 some worked in their upcoming MP game with help from Bend, other ones did help the San Diego Visual Arts team with the TLOU1 remake, other ones were making the TLOU2 PS5 version and other ones were making an Uncharted spinoff with help from Bend until Bend started to work in their own next new IP.

Even studios who focus on most of their people in a single project quite often while finishing a game are starting another one and preparing pitches for another one, or if not available they put some of their people to help games from other studios.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Has there ever been an E3 or one of these quarterly MS and Sony shows that actually blew people away with tons of leaks coming true? Probably never.

All these rumours come from click bait social media whores, as well as I suspect first party plants to get people to watch the show.
It used to happen a lot but Cboat went missing and so were the leaks.

Withnail

It used to happen a lot but Cboat went missing and so were the leaks.

Wasn't Cboat eventually revealed to be a Gaf mod or something? Anyway I agree the Cboat leaks were in a different league to the stuff we get today which is mostly semi-educated guesswork. Or people like Grubb who are being told things by Sony/MS media handlers in full knowledge that he will post it on Twitter.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Wasn't Cboat eventually revealed to be a Gaf mod or something? Anyway I agree the Cboat leaks were in a different league to the stuff we get today which is mostly semi-educated guesswork. Or people like Grubb who are being told things by Sony/MS media handlers in full knowledge that he will post it on Twitter.
I haven't followed much what happened with Cboat but he was above everyone else by far.

SlimySnake

Na - if they came out only on PS4 and ran on PS5 through BC then they would be last gen games. These games will be on PS5 natively.
Absolute nonsense. So games that get a native PS5 port are not cross gen? Doom got a PS5 port, is that not cross gen? GTAV is getting a native PS5 SKU in March. Is that not a PS3 game anymore? Is it a PS5 next gen game now?

Ridiculous.

Top Bottom