• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation should learn from Super Mario 3D All-Stars

Bryank75

Banned
The limited release of Super Mario All Stars has resulted in it outselling Avengers in physical copies and already becoming the 3rd best selling game of the year.

By making the game a limited release, they have caused a wave of sudden and intense interest in the games, people are buying for the top asking price and not waiting for heavy discounts or sales and they have increased the value and perceived importance of the brand. Making it a must buy for the limited time.

I believe Sony should follow suit and do the same with GOW Ragnarok and all their top exclusives... release them for just a month to 2 months maximum at full price with a slight discount before it is removed from sales. Then it would return every year or two years on the same date to cause a surge in interest and sell at full or near full price again, this would cause people to stream the game again, the re-releases could come with updates such as NG+, new gear for beating the game, a boss battle survival mode etc.

As Microsoft and Xbox are reducing the value of their games, I believe this is the best way to increase the value and desirability of these high production AAA games.

I also believe the initial asking price for the base game should be lowered back to 60 in both Europe and North America but digital deluxe could be made more enticing to attract more customers to that price-point.

Stuart360

I always find it hard to judge Switch game sales because its very much a first party machine, and doesnt have the 3rd party support. I mean what would they play instead?.
Imo i find Playstation first party games selling 10+mil copies more impressive than Switch first party games selling 15-20mil copies.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I always find it hard to judge Switch game sales because its very much a first party machine, and doesnt have the 3rd party support. I mean what would they play instead?.
Imo i find Playstation first party games selling 10+mil copies more impressive than Switch first party games selling 15-20mil copies.
There are a lot of non-Nintendo games, mainly indies and such but still, a lot of games.

Or they could be playing games on another platform they own.

Orta

Banned
Not going to happen for the simple reason Sony need a faster return on the budget allocated to a AAA first party title than they'll get if they stagger the release.

Mario 3D All Stars probably cost Nintendo very little to release, something like GOW in comparison will cost Sony millions.

Bryank75

Banned
This is a joke thread I am sure of it. And I like it.

Even though I bought the damn game on day one for my son, I dont condone this nonsense and I hate how everyone has just accepted that this is ok practice.
I also bought for my kid.

But this move would result in the prices going back down to 60.... it is just that the game is only on sale for 2 months for the year.

It would limit first party games eating each others sales and result in more high price sales and better profits I believe.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Well, I will know they have hit rock bottom when they start giving it out for free in a cheap subscription.
Ahh, a stealth Shit on Game Pass thread.

In all seriousness though, I have to disagree with the idea. Sure it makes sense from a business standpoint, but I don't own stock in any of these companies so I think it's an awful idea from a consumer standpoint.

Last edited:

Stuart360

There are a lot of non-Nintendo games, mainly indies and such but still, a lot of games.

Or they could be playing games on another platform they own.
I didnt mean it in a 'Switch has no games' sense. I just dont think its coicedence that Switch has sold what 60mil?, and its first party games outsell PS5 first party games with a 106?mil userbase.
If PS5 had similar 3rd party support as Switch, the likes of Uncharted and GOW would probably sell 40+mil copies.

The limited release of Super Mario All Stars has resulted in it outselling Avengers in physical copies and already becoming the 3rd best selling game of the year.

By making the game a limited release, they have caused a wave of sudden and intense interest in the games, people are buying for the top asking price and not waiting for heavy discounts or sales and they have increased the value and perceived importance of the brand. Making it a must buy for the limited time.

I believe Sony should follow suit and do the same with GOW Ragnarok and all their top exclusives... release them for just a month to 2 months maximum at full price with a slight discount before it is removed from sales. Then it would return every year or two years on the same date to cause a surge in interest and sell at full or near full price again, this would cause people to stream the game again, the re-releases could come with updates such as NG+, new gear for beating the game, a boss battle survival mode etc.

As Microsoft and Xbox are reducing the value of their games, I believe this is the best way to increase the value and desirability of these high production AAA games.

I also believe the initial asking price for the base game should be lowered back to 60 in both Europe and North America but digital deluxe could be made more enticing to attract more customers to that price-point.

XmqiuIr.png

I mean you cant compare Avengers to Super Mario collection lmao, it contains some of the greatest platformers of all time, while the other is just some dudes running around in spandex.

Of course it sold more, it has nothing to do with limited availabiltiy.

Sleepwalker

Leave it to you to, as a customer, advocate for a corporation to not put their products on sale and make you pay full price while at the same time abusing FOMO for every game. At the same time shitting on the competition for not adhering to this warped idea. Nintendo's thing is a one off, to commemorate a special occasion.

I hope you are trolling OP.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I mean you cant compare Avengers to Super Mario collection lmao, it contains some of the greatest platformers of all time, while the other is just some dudes running around in spandex.

Of course it sold more, it has nothing to do with limited availabiltiy.
Well maybe that speaks to how limited the audience for AAA gaming is in general. Because Avengers should command a massive audience....

Wait, so more restrictive levels of exclusivity where your games are locked from YOUR OWN USERS after a period of time is the answer?

This ain't it, bruh.

Bryank75

Banned
Leave it to you to, as a customer, advocate for a corporation to not put their products on sale and make you pay full price while at the same time abusing FOMO for every game. At the same time shitting on the competition for not adhering to this warped idea. Nintendo's thing is a one off, to commemorate a special occasion.

I hope you are trolling OP.
No....I am not. EVERY GAME....two months full price or it's gone. Till next year or the year after....

Hustler

You act as though everyone should adopt the Disney Vault model....please no. This will create a lot of backlash. There may be short term wins, but long term hurt to Sony.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I didnt mean it in a 'Switch has no games' sense. I just dont think its coicedence that Switch has sold what 60mil?, and its first party games outsell PS5 first party games with a 106?mil userbase.
If PS5 had similar 3rd party support as Switch, the likes of Uncharted and GOW would probably sell 40+mil copies.
Yeah don't worry, I know you didn't mean to say it has no games.

I get your point, but I don't agree. For example I have a Switch, but that does not make me to buy each Nintendo game just because that is the only first-party games on the platform. Why? Because I can buy games for PC, PS4 or just do something else with my life.

But yeah... if you ask me, I too don't know why there is such a difference between unit sales. It's crazy to see how much AC has sold for examole.

Bryank75

Banned
You act as though everyone should adopt the Disney Vault model....please no. This will create a lot of backlash. There may be short term wins, but long term hurt to Sony.
Backlash? It's there to buy if they are too lazy or cheap then they don't deserve it. They can piss off and play cheap games..

Well maybe that speaks to how limited the audience for AAA gaming is in general. Because Avengers should command a massive audience....

I dont follow superhero movie or whatnot so i would not know, but i dont really think there is a big overlap with people who watch marvel movies and will buy the marvel avenger game at full price. Advertising probably has something to do with it, i never even knew it was relased until i read your post.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I also bought for my kid.

But this move would result in the prices going back down to 60.... it is just that the game is only on sale for 2 months for the year.

It would limit first party games eating each others sales and result in more high price sales and better profits I believe.
I would be ok if this brings the prices back down to 60, but tbh this move is so anti-consumer I would expect corporations to increase the price instead of lowering it.

I am only buying demon souls at launch. The rest can wait a couple of weeks. Most games are $35 on black friday, they should be $45 max.

BTW, Walmart sells all games at $50 instead of $60 if you go in the store and buy it from there. store pickups and online orders dont give you the $10 discount. I am hoping that this remains in play for PS5 games and I can get Demon Souls for $60.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Disney vault model is smart business, but not what I want as a customer.

This thing of only having Mario available on the 35th anniversary, I don’t mind as much, as it’s clearly meant to be a special product for a special occasion. I’m really hoping they become regular products after that though, and are joined by Galaxy 2.

Personally, and the data may eventually prove me wrong, I think it’s selling as well as it is mostly because:

- It’s a first party Switch game
- The games are really good
- It’s Mario

Rat Rage

tenor.gif

And my stupid self just thought, the reason Super Mario 3D Allstars has been selling so well, is, because it's a game containing 3 of the most beloved and critically acclaimed 3D Mario Platformers in one package and that people were just eager to play them on the Switch (in addition to being able to play SM Sunshine and Galaxy in handheld mode/on a handheld for the first time).

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yeah, let's start doing limited digital releases too while we're at it....oh wait. This is the new horse armor.

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah, let's start doing limited digital releases too while we're at it....oh wait. This is the new horse armor.
We will never again reach the levels of innovation brought to the industry by Bethesda and Xbox during the 7th generation.... they nearly monetized everything.

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

Well, I will know they have hit rock bottom when they start giving it out for free in a cheap subscription.

We will never again reach the levels of innovation brought to the industry by Bethesda and Xbox during the 7th generation.... they nearly monetized everything.
Was bashing xbox and gamepass your real motive with this thread?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
tenor.gif

And my stupid self just thought, the reason Super Mario 3D Allstar has been selling so well, is, because it's a game containing 3 of the most beloved and critically acclaimed 3D Mario Platformers in one package and that people were just eager to play them on the Switch (in addition to being able to play SM Sunshine and Galaxy in handheld mode/on a handheld for the first time).
People still love GOW and Horizon and Uncharted, you're just cutting off people who freeload at the bottom prices, it will make it clear...either buy now or lose out till next year or whenever.

Maybe bring all the games back for a Christmas sale if they are really feeling the festive spirit.

Top Bottom