• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Says It Was a MLB's Decision to Put MLB The Show 21 on Xbox GamePass at Launch

Who cares which decision it was to bring MLB: The Show 21 to Game Pass?

It's still $70 Dollars on a PlayStation 5 and $1 Dollars through Game Pass on PC or XBox Consoles!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
MLB just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about baseball culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in football where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in MLB, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the baseball fans, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase the game for either system, nor will they purchase any MLB games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but MLB has alienated an entire market with this move.
MLB, publicly apologize and cancel the game for gamepass or you can kiss your business goodbye.

I consider myself a baseball expert and while what you say is correct to a certain extent this is just a little overboard

This culture you speak of is mainly in the old school players within the league.

You think gamers care this much?

I have bought this game every single year to support the studio and I am 100% playing it on Gamepass.

Concern

The warriors cries and petitions were heard. Blaming Jim Ryan over nothing 🤣🤣🤣.

Such a sad bunch and over a baseball game that most people don't even care about.

iHaunter

Yeah obvs that’s why Sony had the licence just to waste money all these years by making a game that nobody played and then they renewed it
If they own the license, do they not choose what console it's going to be on? I can't imagine them wanting to put it on Xbox if that were the case.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If they own the license, do they not choose what console it's going to be on? I can't imagine them wanting to put it on Xbox if that were the case.
It will all of been in the contracts, a company would have to have this in the contract and agreed when it’s signed. It wouldn’t of been a surprise to Sony they MLB were gonna get them to make it multiplat

iamvin22

Industry Verified
And perhaps, the knights will realize that Sony doesn't give a shit and is profiting from these deals, otherwise, why they would continue, there's no way they would have signed this renewal without being aware of that clause of giving away a incentive to Xbox owners.
The MLB has no reason to inform Sony about any deals they have with other platforms. The MLB and MLBPA at the end of the day can do what they want. This was a power play by the MLB that I am pretty sure going to hurt them in the future

Idk why anyone is bitching.
If Sony licensed NBA, NFL, etc development exclusively rights. The same shit would happen.
They arent going give up the MLB license so fanboys dont cry or laugh. Money is money.

Nubulax

fyovxyoghyhktr.jpg
LOL how did that FF 13 hype turn out

Ezquimacore

Banned
Am I completely dumb? Are the developers not a Sony wholly owned subsidiary? If they are, then Sony is getting paid.
Yeah they're getting paid but I'm talking about royalties by ownership of the port and publishing. Sony is publishing the playstation version but the xbox version is published by mlb. MLB pays for the port but they don't have the share the revenue of the xbox version.

NahaNago

I consider myself a baseball expert and while what you say is correct to a certain extent this is just a little overboard

This culture you speak of is mainly in the old school players within the league.

You think gamers care this much?

I have bought this game every single year to support the studio and I am 100% playing it on Gamepass.
That was a reworked joke meme.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXIII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFXIII for 360 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

thelastword

Banned
Like I said in the other thread, this was an MLB thing. It was obvious and logical, but the guys who simply want to nail Jim Ryan to the cross never pay attention to logic or the truth....We have been hearing since the rumors began that MLB wanted a larger audience for their game, but I'm not sure they will be able to retain Sand Diego to do it with that move they pulled...Quality may go down terribly if they lose the dev who made the Show what it is today...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I mean, Ryan let it happen, he could have sent a truck full of money to MLB so Sony didn't look like a bitch.

LOL. No. This is business, and they are still the developer and the ones getting paid for every sale. Including all MS' money to get it onto GamePass day #1, and their cut of all the MTX from the game on Xbox. Sony will stay winning regardless.

On the other hand its a really stupid, arrogant, move on MLB's part to put the creators of such a successful game in such an uncomfortable position in terms of PR. It reeks of them thinking the entire value of the franchise is their branding and not the years of iteration on SSD's part to make such a respected product-line.

The last time something like this happened was with the F1 license, and if history repeats itself Sony will simply drop the series like a bag of hot garbage at the earliest possible convenience.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Obviously. It sure as hell wouldn't be Sony's decision. The bigger question should be is who structured the contracts with MLB when the agreed to make the game be multi-platform. You would think that the lawyers for Sony would have had no Game Pass writing in their contract with MLB or something to that affect but obviously, they didn't. What's even more interesting is if the contract gets adjusted for future years, if the Sony/MLB agreement ends completely or if MLB goes on Game Pass in future years if the current contract doesn't get re-written and agreed to.

MaulerX

Phil Spencer bypassed Sony. Paid MLB. Weird position for Sony to be in.

Marvel and Spiderman might be next. Anything can happen now with these licensing arrangements.

Varteras

Gold Member
Sony is obviously still getting paid for this. They're not going to develop a game for MLB and watch their work get thrown onto a competitor's platform without compensation. So on one hand, they can no longer claim an exclusive MLB game of their own. On the other, they're probably getting a lot more money out of this than if they just sold it on one platform. After this, I wouldn't be surprised to see San Diego Studio expand to other games.

theclaw135

Banned
The MLB has no reason to inform Sony about any deals they have with other platforms. The MLB and MLBPA at the end of the day can do what they want. This was a power play by the MLB that I am pretty sure going to hurt them in the future

Didn't MLB fund Sony's development team to create the Xbox port?

yurinka

Isn't the MLB itself publishing the Xbox versions of The Show 21?
Yes
Didn't MLB fund Sony's development team to create the Xbox port?
Since MLB is the publisher of that port, maybe. Normally is the publisher who funds the development.

But normally is the publisher who pays the licensor for using that brand, not the opposite. For what we know, MLB asked Sony the game multi as a condition to renew their deal, and Sony said 'ok'.

Last edited:

KingT731

I think this whole MLB business is interesting simply because MLB has their own baseball game (RBI Baseball 21) that legit just came out like 3 weeks ago.

99Luffy

Banned
Sony got paid in the form of still being allowed to develop the game and publish it on their platform. And maybe a royalties discount. That's it. Sony isn't getting paid any direct money.
Maybe this, maybe that. Do you actually know what you're talking about or not?

Top Bottom