• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation says half of its releases will be on PC and mobile by 2025 (VGC) (26 titles on FY2026: 14 for PS5, 7 PC ports and 5 mobile)

kingfey

Banned
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ts-releases-will-be-on-pc-and-mobile-by-2025/

The president of Sony’s PlayStation business has said the company expects half of its annual releases to be on PC and mobile by 2025.

Speaking during a business briefing on Thursday, SIE president Jim Ryan said that expanding to the larger platforms, and in particular committing to releasing at least 12 live service games in the coming years, could be “transformational to our business”.

“PlayStation Studios historically has executed wonderfully in the delivery of a strong portfolio of narrative rich, graphically beautiful single-player games, but it’s certainly the case that we have restricted ourselves to a rather narrow portion of the gaming market,” Ryan said.

“By expanding to PC and mobile, and it must be said… also to live services, we have the opportunity to move from a situation of being present in a very narrow segment of the overall gaming software market, to being present pretty much everywhere.”

He continued: “I think if we do this right, if we execute with intelligence and we execute with excellence, the opportunities for significant growth in the number of people who play our games, the number of people who enjoy our games, and the number of people who spend money on our games, is exponentially a large one.

“I would say for example, if we are successful in making a portion of the 12 live service games that we have in development in PlayStation Studios… if only a portion of those enjoy critical and commercial success, then the impact of that over time will be completely transformational to our business structure.”

A slide shared during Ryan’s presentation also seemed to suggest that PS4 releases would be phased out by 2025.

Sony’s first modern PC ports were Horizon Zero Dawn in August 2020, Days Gone last May and God of War earlier this year. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will also make the jump to PC year.

Jim Ryan has previously confirmed PlayStation will bring “a whole slate” of games to PC.

PlayStation recently acquired Nixxes Software, which is best known for its work on the PC versions of Square Enix properties including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Hitman and Thief, to help it bring its games to the platform.

In mobile, SIE has long been preparing for a significant push into the market. Last October, SIE appointed former Apple Arcade content boss Nicola Sebastiani to lead the company’s mobile operations, following job ads that stated it was opening a new business unit to adapt its “most popular franchises” for mobile.

The following month, Jim Ryan confirmed the platform holder was planning to bring some of its “iconic IP” to mobile during its current business year ending in March 2022.

“We have been thinking about how players enjoy our content and have had some early success with experimenting with mobile games and apps to provide more choice to gamers,” he said. “Mobile is just one of the areas we are exploring to reach millions of gamers beyond our platforms.

“PlayStation has a huge catalogue of diverse first-party IP that can transition to smartphone gaming and complement our AAA games or live service games. We are exploring the mobile market with some wonderful PlayStation franchises so please stay tuned.”

kingfey

Banned
Bloodborne PC
rubbing hands GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
“I would say for example, if we are successful in making a portion of the 12 live service games that we have in development in PlayStation Studios… if only a portion of those enjoy critical and commercial success, then the impact of that over time will be completely transformational to our business structure.”
Exactly what I and some others have been saying. You don't have to like live service games, but they are such a huge potential cash cow for any company to charge their business with a lot more money. Even just a few successful entries could see an explosion in revenue and profit. That'll give Sony even more padding for other projects and ambitions.

Neofire

In before the question is asked..... PS users "does this make you want to move to PC from Consoles?" no it does not. i game on console bc i like it here.... :) will never go PC
Good for you? 👀 Lol I'm curious of the bigger and broader implications of Sony doing this.

Time will tell.

Rippa

Good!

SONY is killing it releasing their exclusive catalog to PC WELL AFTER consoles so that the console isn’t cannibalized. It only makes the most sense from a money making standpoint. I mean why spend all that R&D creating the consoles in the first place?

Last edited:

Fahdis

They couldn't have made a better choice. PC is literally the best platform. Now everyone has choices to play on their platform whether console or PC.

Great Job Sony!

Larxia

I know there's barely any chance but... please Gravity Rush on PC :messenger_loudly_crying: It's what I want the most.
I'd take Spider-Man too next.

Hugare

From my own experience, Sony exclusives going to PC doesnt change the fact that I would still buy the console

A PS5 costs 3x less than a PC with similar specs where I live. Thats more than enough reason to stick with consoles.

Then there's more than a 2 year gap for a console exclusive to come to PC, and not all of them (TLOU Part II, GoT, Spider-man and etc.)

I was affraid that it could affect PS5's sales, but it's obvious now that this is not gonna happen

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The slide for those interested

w3TuYzt.jpg
Funny thing about this is it depends on how many releases there are in total across all platforms.
Either way between PS & PC, that looks like a 3 out of 10 situation....

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Funny thing about this is it depends on how many releases there are in total across all platforms.
Either way, that looks like a 3 out of 10 situation....
Yeah. It’s basically just them saying we wanna go from putting out like 6 games/year on PS to putting out like 6 games/year on PS, and 3 on PC, and 2-3 on mobile.

It’s not them saying fewer games will release on PlayStation. Just adding more off console.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
From my own experience, Sony exclusives going to PC doesnt change the fact that I would still buy the console

A PS5 costs 3x less than a PC with similar specs where I live. Thats more than enough reason to stick with consoles.

Then there's more than a 2 year gap for a console exclusive to come to PC, and not all of them (TLOU Part II, GoT, Spider-man and etc.)

I was affraid that it could affect PS5's sales, but it's obvious now that this is not gonna happen
I've spent thousands over the years on gaming PC's and they were fun but at the same time hassle. I'm content with the simplicity of consoles and generally very good optimisation when it comes to games. I'm not saying I'll never build a gaming PC again, but I'm happy with Sony for the foreseeable future.

Rivet

It's a good thing for everybody. More money to fund games for Sony, more options for gamers. I don't think PC releases will ever be day one though. Their technical edge is greatly helped by the fact they're developing on a single platform. It's unlikely to change. They'll make PS5 version first, then their PC dedicated teams will make the PC port.

Waiting for PC versions for one year or maybe a bit more is still a great option for those who prefer gaming on PC and who are okay with waiting a bit for playing those games.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah. It’s basically just them saying we wanna go from putting out like 6 games/year on PS to putting out like 6 games/year on PS, and 3 on PC, and 2-3 on mobile.

It’s not them saying fewer games will release on PlayStation. Just adding more off console.
And that's assuming they release 10 first party titles in a year..
Which is not gonna happen, 5 max

Last edited:

kyliethicc

It's a good thing for everybody. More money to fund games for Sony, more options for gamers. I don't think PC releases will ever be day one though. Their technical edge is greatly helped by the fact they're developing on a single platform. It's unlikely to change. They'll make PS5 version first, then their PC dedicated teams will start the port.

Waiting for PC versions for one year or maybe a bit more is still a great option for those who prefer gaming on PC and who are okay with waiting a bit for playing those games.
Jimbo said they have 2 unannounced service games coming to PS+PC by March.

So some day 1 will happen. Especially for service games.

yurinka

It's nice to see they plan to grow a lot their gaming business in console, PC, mobile, VR, movies & tv shows and other areas like toys. I just noticed that when talking about movies and tv shows mentioned Horizon for Netflix and Gran Turismo. I don't think they mentioned them before.

Wait, not Xbox and Switch? 😲
For PS Studios games no. Bungie (+MLB) games yes.

Everything is coming. I will be free of weak consoles.
This isn't what they said. Notice that in the amount of FY2025 releases there are the double for PS5 than for PC. They will pump the ports but their main focus will continue being releasing their games in console.

Bungie games will be day one on PC, but I wouldn't expect to release day one their PS Studios games on PC. If something, the remasters or remakes or if lucky some GaaS would be released pretty close to the console release, maybe some day at the same time.

As an example, pretty likely they will release a TLOU2 Director's Cut for PS5 pretty likely bundling there the TLOU1 remake. That could be released maybe half a year later as they did with Uncharted 4, in this case to crosspromote the tv show instead of a movie. Let's say they release this in PC next year so TLOU1 would be 10 years old and TLOU2 3 years old.

I assume after them they'd release a PC ports of Spider-Man and Spider-Man Miles Morales, maybe a few months before the PS5 only release, somewhat similar to what they did with Horizon PC and Horizon 2.

Jimbo said they have 2 unannounced service games coming to PS+PC by March.

So some day 1 will happen. Especially for service games.
I assume you mean this slide, I may be wrong but the one from last FY is GT7, and the two from the current FY that ends March 2023 would be MLB 22 and the TLOU MP game, and the three ending March 2024 maybe could be MLB23, Bungie new IP (they plan to release at least Bungie new IP before 2025) and one of the Firewalk/Haven/Deviation games or the unannounced Guerrilla game:

image.png

I didn't watch games portion of the streaming, did he mentioned PC here? Because in the slide doesn't mention anything about PC. And who knows, even if he mentioned it he could be talking about the upcoming Bungie games.

In fact the growth on amount of games released on PC and mobile doesn't mean they will decrease the amount of console game releases, in fact they plan to increase them instead. I remember some time ago Jimbo said they planned to have more exclusives on PS5 than in any previous PS console. And he said that before buying Bungie.

Notice also that when mentions PC in the graph that compares the amount of games per year on each platform, there isn't a combined category of PS5+PC as there is one for PS4+PS5. So pretty likely these PC titles aren't console games released day one on PC. But instead by 'PC' they mean in the graph PC ports of old games.

12 shots at making a GAAS game.
Lord knows they never made one before so lets see if it works out.
They made stuff like like Destiny 2, LBP series, Dreams, MLB 22, Gran Turismo Sports or Gran Turismo 7 before. Even PS Home.

In fact these 12 games include MLB 22, GT7, "at least" a Bungie new IP and the games from Deviation (ex-CoD BO devs), Firewalk (ex-Bungie/CoD/Apex Legends/Mass Effect/Halo) or Haven (ex-Ubisoft & EA).

I'd bet these people have made some GaaS games.

In any case, to invest more in GaaS doesn't mean they will invest less on traditional games. Notice that in FY2025 plan to spend more (in the amount of investment, not the % of total investment) in traditional games than in the current FY2022.

We all will eat good: more traditional games, more GaaS games, more console games, more PC games, more VR games, more mobile games, more movies and tv shows of PS IPs. Even Xbox and Nintendo fans will get Bungie stuff and MLB.

image.png

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't get why some get annoyed by PC ports, it's not like the console experience is affected at all...

Personally it will come down to pricing. PS5 day one releases are about $90 USD in my country (including tax). PC games vary depending on the publisher. If the pricing is good I rather go for PC as long as they are not EGS exclusives in which case I rather go console.

If it's a game I really want to play I'll even pre-order from Amazon. Otherwise I can wait until pricing reach a more reasonable level.

clarky

Gold Member
Can't see why they just don't go day and date like MS. The amount of people with a PC that's better than a PS5 is miniscule, and outside of the hardcore nobody is willing to spend $1000+ to get a PC is. Don't see it canabalising PS5 sales in the slightest, if anything their user base expands massively.

Its going to happen sooner or later.

JLB

Banned
In before the question is asked..... PS users "does this make you want to move to PC from Consoles?" no it does not. i game on console bc i like it here.... :) will never go PC

But I was told that buying an Xbox makes no sense because it has no console exclusives.

Shmunter

It’s clear that even by 2025 there is more ps5 than pc releases, so much for day and date which was to be expected. Mobile will likely just be leveraging Sony IP for bespoke games similar to uncharted on mobile today.

Seems the strategy of giving them a taste outside to bring them into the full eco system stands as predicted. Otherwise just mopping up potential revenue.

Cross gen dead by 2025 is the best news.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
But I was told that buying an Xbox makes no sense because it has no console exclusives.
It makes no sense if you have a decent PC. My series X has been switched on a handful of times since i bought it. My PC does everything better.

clarky

Gold Member
I have a decent PC, but after many hours of work I want to be on my couch, with a beer and away from it.
Thats why mines hooked up to my G1 in the living room, wireless xbox controller, Atmos, beers and couch. Rarely game on K+M coming from a console childhood. Bliss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom