• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation remake is reportedly Chrono Cross, expected to be 'multiplat'

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
The PS5 big remake is actually a multiplat remaster from the PS1?!

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Ladioss

Do I need to play CT to even be able to enjoy Cross?

Thematically speaking, I think it's an integral part of the experience, yes.

Let's put it that way : while CT is the kiddie adventure RPG full of shounen tropes and where everything turns out right thanks to the power of friendhip and of never giving up, CC is the young adult counterpart coming-of-age story where even with the best of intentions, you come to learn that the world can be a shitty place and sometimes the best you can manage is a bittersweet ending.

Personally, I love both approachs. I've often said that if a third game should be produced one day, I hope it will focus on an older Gwen, at the twilight of his life, embarking for one last adventure.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Tangent news, maybe someone's interested: Another Eden is doing a collab with Chrono Cross.

where everything turns out right thanks to the power of friendhip and of never giving up
You're kidding, right?

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Posting the collab trailer too, because why not :

I'm tempted to dive back into Another Eden for this collab - I stopped playing after the end of part 1 of the main story , when I was spending weeks grinding that Time Mine special chapter.

Looking forward to see those "Cross vs Trigger" arguments again :D

At least I would like to see something as pretty as when you run CC with retroarch... it does not seems too challenging to ask for that, I hope.

Whoops, didn't notice it was already posted.
Anyway, the time mine isn't part of the main story. It's a side story and you don't need to grind it.

The DS version of CT is considered the best for having the PS1 cutscenes, but no loading times.
I hate those cutscenes, I don't think they add anything and the animation is cheap, like a Dragon Ball GT reject episode.

Thankfully though, it's such a good port that it gives you the option to keep the original SNES ones instead.

They also changed the color palete to account for the lack of scanlines in a good way (unlike square did with FFIV, FFV and FFVI on GBA), retranslated everything and added a new ending that ties into Chrono Cross.
They should use the Akira Toriyama art style if they remake it
Doesn't fit in Chrono Cross.
Posting the collab trailer too, because why not :

I'm tempted to dive back into Another Eden for this collab - I stopped playing after the end of part 1 of the main story , when I was spending weeks grinding that Time Mine special chapter.

I do get chills from seeing it redone, but I have to say I hate the music re-arrangement against the original, too much "coil" bass/groove in the background when it gets going.

It's easy to see that a lot of love and effort went into it.

pict_feature_001.png
pict_feature_006.png

pict_feature_003.png
pict_feature_004.png

chrono-cross-x-another-eden-crossover-character-art_wwh6.png

kid-1638480960377_nrq6.png

harle-1638480962719_9cyt.png

Another-Eden-Chrono-Cross-Event-Begins-Next-Week.jpeg

Last edited:

Ladioss

Anyway, the time mine isn't part of the main story. It's a side story and you don't need to grind it.
I just want to do the side stories before starting the Ogre Wars storyline. I won't have the patience to do them otherwise.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
CT is the kiddie adventure RPG full of shounen tropes and where everything turns out right thanks to the power of friendhip and of never giving up
Eh? Please stop making CT sound like a certain SQEX game where the word “heart” is repeated 25 times in each cutscene.

Spaceman292

Banned
Thematically speaking, I think it's an integral part of the experience, yes.

Let's put it that way : while CT is the kiddie adventure RPG full of shounen tropes and where everything turns out right thanks to the power of friendhip and of never giving up, CC is the young adult counterpart coming-of-age story where even with the best of intentions, you come to learn that the world can be a shitty place and sometimes the best you can manage is a bittersweet ending.

Personally, I love both approachs. I've often said that if a third game should be produced one day, I hope it will focus on an older Gwen, at the twilight of his life, embarking for one last adventure.
So the answer is no

Silvawuff

I'd be in for a multiplat remake of CC. There are several generations that have never seen a game like it.

There was a magical summer 50,000 years ago when SE released Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, and Threads of Fate/Dewprism along with little bonus OST CDs for preordering. IMO those games at the time were all amazing.

The real crime here is no remake/remaster of Brave Fencer Musashi.

Elios83

What a disappointment this wasn't announced yesterday, at least its existence is pretty much confirmed so it's a matter of time.

saintjules

What a disappointment this wasn't announced yesterday, at least its existence is pretty much confirmed so it's a matter of time.

If it's somewhat of a timed exclusive for PS5 then I'm sure Sony is holding it close to their chest for their next showcase.

Elios83

If it's somewhat of a timed exclusive for PS5 then I'm sure Sony is holding it close to their chest for their next showcase.

I think it's just a remaster, best we can hope is for some decently upscaled backgrounds through AIs. Since it's not this massive seller that is associated to the PS identity like the FF7-FF8-FF9 trilogy I don't see the reason for an exclusive.
I've heard that it will feature some extra contents including a port of Radical Dreamers.
Tbh it would be cool to have a decent port of Chrono Trigger as well since the most recent version is mobile/PC only.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd want to see a remake of Trigger either. It will 'trigger' a lot of people if done poorly. We're already seeing people go crazy over FF7 Remake.

I'd rather see a sequel to Trigger in some way or a whole new entry to the franchise.
Unless Square wants to go as big as with the FF7 Remake, then I don't want a Trigger Remake either. Chrono Cross remake is so much easier to not fuck up, and I actually like the game as much as Chrono Trigger.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why would they release a remaster and then a remake after that?

Not everyone is getting the remake. Just like how they did FF7R.

They released remaster/port , then announced FF7R for Playstation.

I don;t know if Remake is permanent exclusive, but I would argue since Chrono Cross was only on PlayStation there probably is some timed exclusivity. Switch is not getting the remake.

So a remaster helps satisfy everyone, while seeing the remake being exclusive will no doubt piss people off.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
It's coming at some point, guaranteed.

In the meantime, I'll be supporting the team by buying these remakes/remasters, so Square Enix knows for sure that remaking games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Xenogears would be financially viable.

8dd0fd4f73ee35eb4015e5b0beb725e4fb1df0bf.gifv
So Square Enix is using their resources to remaster a game like this to see if remastering a different game would be financially viable? That makes no fucking sense at all.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
So Square Enix is using their resources to remaster a game like this to see if remastering a different game would be financially viable? That makes no fucking sense at all.
It looks like Square Enix is only putting in a minimal amount of resources into this Chrono Cross remaster.
If they get a good ROI, though, it would have to cement a Chrono Trigger remake (or remaster) getting done, if they're not working on it already.

Elios83

This is the remaster not the remake.
There is no remake.
Simply the existence of this remaster was leaked by a musician who really likely is not into games so he used the word remake instead of remaster.

According to the nVidia leak that so far has proved to be accurate a FFIX remake might happen and a remaster of FF Tactics might happen as well.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

It's coming at some point, guaranteed.

uitqsaxzai181.png

In the meantime, I'll be supporting the team by buying these remakes/remasters, so Square Enix knows for sure that remaking games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Xenogears would be financially viable.

8dd0fd4f73ee35eb4015e5b0beb725e4fb1df0bf.gifv

It's strange. SE has no problem remaking dq games or mana games.

But trigger? They won't touch that game with a 10 foot pole.

Synless

It's strange. SE has no problem remaking dq games or mana games.

But trigger? They won't touch that game with a 10 foot pole.
Makes no good damn sense and never has. what pisses me off about dragon quest specifically is that it has had several of its games receive several remakes in a short period of time (looks at DQV). You telling me a remake of CT wouldn’t sell more? fuck if it wouldn‘t.

Mana games make even less sense… only 10 people asked for those.

kevm3

If Square is 'remaking' Chrono Cross, they are throwing money down the drain. Remaster is understandable in the vein of the Saga Frontier remaster, but who is asking for a remake of Chrono Cross?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If Square is 'remaking' Chrono Cross, they are throwing money down the drain. Remaster is understandable in the vein of the Saga Frontier remaster, but who is asking for a remake of Chrono Cross?

I am. Also looking through a quick google search shows thousands others asking for a remake as well.

Papacheeks

Banned
There is no remake.
Simply the existence of this remaster was leaked by a musician who really likely is not into games so he used the word remake instead of remaster.

According to the nVidia leak that so far has proved to be accurate a FFIX remake might happen and a remaster of FF Tactics might happen as well.

There is:

News of a mystery remake was also leaked by folk singer Éabha McMahon (known as Ava) in October, who told Irish radio station WLR FM she had recorded an Irish language theme for the game.

She claimed she had worked with composer Michael McGlynn and his daughter on the theme song. Adding fuel to the rumour, Chrono Cross composer Yasunori Mitsuda tweeted a photo of McGlynn and his daughter.

McGlynn founded the Irish choral group Anúna, who have previously performed music for video games.

Chrono Cross, a sequel to the acclaimed SNES JRPG Chrono Trigger, was released on the PS1 in 1999 in Japan and the US. It never made its way to Europe, so for many a possible remake would finally offer a chance to play it.

The other part of that article is right for the Remaster.

Chrono Cross is still bought on psn and by a decent amount. SONY has some funding for this. It may be just for timed exclusivity with a PC release or could be multiplatform after a certain time has passed.

It's either a remake outside of the known remaster that is hinted at or another game that Eabha McMahon worked on. Its not Forspoken, its not FF16. And its not FF7R part 2.

Elios83

There is:

The other part of that article is right for the Remaster.

Chrono Cross is still bought on psn and by a decent amount. SONY has some funding for this. It may be just for timed exclusivity with a PC release or could be multiplatform after a certain time has passed.

It's either a remake outside of the known remaster that is hinted at or another game that Eabha McMahon worked on. Its not Forspoken, its not FF16. And its not FF7R part 2.

Unfortunately I think you're wrong.
Mitsuda has composed a new track for this remaster and the original soundtrack has been refined.
They were talking about the work they did for this remaster and they called it a remake:

https://i.redd.it/1zatnt5sdwg81.jpg

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Unfortunately I think you're wrong.
Mitsuda has composed a new track for this remaster and the original soundtrack has been refined.
They were talking about the work they did for this remaster and they called it a remake:

https://i.redd.it/1zatnt5sdwg81.jpg

You might be right. But then I don't know what else Square has that I've heard thats a remake of an old series/IP then?

Chatter says more FF remakes are on the way not remasters. And Square has green lit a lot of remakes.

I was talking to someone a while back on CG society/Old cg talk site, and they had worked on something contracted by Square that was heavy in its source material.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Elios83

You might be right. But then I don't know what else Square has that I've heard thats a remake of an old series/IP then?

Chatter says more FF remakes are on the way not remasters. And Square has green lit a lot of remakes.

I was talking to someone a while back on CG society/Old cg talk site, and they had worked on something contracted by Square that was heavy in its source material.🤷‍♂️

The nVidia leak has proved to be kinda reliable and it seems like FFIX might get a remake and FF Tactics a remaster.
I don't know, we'll find out. Right now I'd happy to see FFXVI being released this year and FFVIIR pt2 announced this year as well.

Makes no good damn sense and never has. what pisses me off about dragon quest specifically is that it has had several of its games receive several remakes in a short period of time (looks at DQV). You telling me a remake of CT wouldn’t sell more? fuck if it wouldn‘t.

Mana games make even less sense… only 10 people asked for those.
Why would you remake Chrono Trigger? You won't make the game better.

Chrono Trigger looks exactly how Chrono Trigger should look. You can only screw it up. Same goes for just about every other aspect of the game.

Now, why they don't port it to modern systems? I have no idea.

Synless

Why would you remake Chrono Trigger? You won't make the game better.

Chrono Trigger looks exactly how Chrono Trigger should look. You can only screw it up. Same goes for just about every other aspect of the game.

Now, why they don't port it to modern systems? I have no idea.
I disagree on all points. I think it can be redone without screwing it up. SE themselves has proven it with a handful of their remakes. Examples that come to mind are FF3 and FF4 3D remakes.

Does he still think he heard that?
2sBhJ.gif

I disagree on all points. I think it can be redone without screwing it up. SE themselves has proven it with a handful of their remakes. Examples that come to mind are FF3 and FF4 3D remakes.
Both outsourced to Matrix Software.

Sure, it can be done, but developer needs a budget and to understand the original product.
That's exactly what they did with FFVII.
Being FFVII, they'll eventually remake it after remaking it, you know.

There's always next time with that one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom