• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation remake is reportedly Chrono Cross, expected to be 'multiplat'

I agree. Chrono Cross is objectively far from average.

-Great music
-Stunning visuals
-Very tight battle system
-Interesting plot, although it can dump a lot on you all at once.

There are very few jrpgs that are on the level of Chrono Cross' quality.
I love plot themes revolving parallel worlds, destiny etc. Absolutely blew my mind (and still do) when i first played it. And soundtrack is imo one of the best music compositions ever, not just in gaming.

Kacho

Gold Member
I agree. Chrono Cross is objectively far from average.

-Great music
-Stunning visuals
-Very tight battle system
-Interesting plot, although it can dump a lot on you all at once.

There are very few jrpgs that are on the level of Chrono Cross' quality.
On one hand, Chrono Cross was undeniably a disappointing sequel to the best JRPG of all-time. However, I agree that it has way more high spots than low spots. Especially the music and combat system. I also enjoyed the huge number of playable characters.

ElCasual

But this is a "good" news
Finally the SH thread can be closed. And with the confirmation of MG remake being made by Virtuos Studio. All these crazy rumors (Silent Hill, metal gear remake, Castlevania all PS exclusives) can rest in peace.

Narasumas

All I’m hoping is that this is true….meaning the Geoforce or whatever leak that came around a month or so ago is ALSO TRUE….and if so, that means Final Fantasy Tactics Remastered babyyy!!!!! Oh yeahhh

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I know a lot of Sony fans hate the crossover with pc or multiplat. I can understand, but I don't have my old playstation and haven't had any luck with getting a PS5 (funny enough i had more luck getting a 3090). I do have a pc at the moment and would totally relish being able to play this remake if it's a proper one.

Also that music, so much nostalgia

Last edited:

sendit

I'm super excited. Remaking Chrono Cross over Chrono Trigger falls right in line with SquareEnix's decision to give CD reigns on Marvel's Avenger deployment.

Last edited:
Why not suspect Xbox as one of the platforms? The new Star Ocean game's coming there, and Chrono Cross isn't a big enough deal for Sony to want to cheek out Xbox (but not Nintendo, where such a game would sell better anyway due to SNES/Chrono Trigger relation and portability, especially in Japan?).

So there's no technical nor logical business reasons to not bring it to Xbox platforms too if its indeed multiplat.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
My only problem with this is that they ever made a limited physical edition, I'd do despicable things to get a copy. CC received far less love than it deserves.

There mostly arent random battles at all. You pretty much always see in the game where enemies are and almost always can avoid them. You are drunken drunken indeed.
While I won't disagree with the drunken part, I know the battles aren't random. I meant moreso just have a toggle where enemies can run into you but nothing happens, they'll just keep following you. Maybe a toggle that despawns non-story enemies. It would help with exploring and backtracking considering you don't get Exp in the game.

“Chrono Cross Remastered, I think, was already on the Nivida leak list, so the game shouldn’t be a surprise – it was on Nvidia’s list.
So it’s just a random guess, that is 90% possible.. but let’s make it news.

Kimahri

Banned
Well, I think Chrono Cross isn't worth the effort. They could try to make a FFVIIR-like AAA Chrono Trigger remake, or to assemble another dream team (not the same guys, most of them are retired or almost) as they did for Chrono Trigger and to make a AAAA Chrono Trigger 2.
Fuck no. Going the VIIIR route is the worst thing they can do. Take these simpler games and over complicate them. No thank you.

Look to Trials of Mana instead. Brilliant remake that fully kept the soul of the original alive while still modernising it. With a bigher budget for some better graphics, it'd be the perfect way.

Woopah

Why not suspect Xbox as one of the platforms? The new Star Ocean game's coming there, and Chrono Cross isn't a big enough deal for Sony to want to cheek out Xbox (but not Nintendo, where such a game would sell better anyway due to SNES/Chrono Trigger relation and portability, especially in Japan?).

So there's no technical nor logical business reasons to not bring it to Xbox platforms too if its indeed multiplat.
It's fairly common for games from Japanese third parties to be PS4/Switch/PC. Even if we just look at at SE we get:

Which all fit that description. That doesn't mean it won't come to Xbox, but its not an unreasonable guess.

Pallas

Gold Member
One game I’d love to see remastered, honestly I’d be ok with a straight port since it’s not exactly a readily available game. I really enjoyed the characters, sure a lot of them feel useless but I always thought it was fun to experiment with them. Sprigg in particular was really fun to use!

Plus that music, truly amazing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
“Chrono Cross Remastered, I think, was already on the Nivida leak list, so the game shouldn’t be a surprise – it was on Nvidia’s list.
So it’s just a random guess, that is 90% possible.. but let’s make it news.
nVidia isn't randomly guessing at a Chrono Cross Remastered.

That list is real data; that comes likely from developers using Steam to run games that are not released, and doing so on GeForce Now. When they do this, that game is installed on GeGorce Now's servers, and ends up in their database of games. IMO that's where the list comes from. It also contains stuff that may never release, for any number of reasons.

Why anyone things nVidia would be "guessing" these random ass games is beyond me lol

skit_data

That list is real data; that comes likely from developers using Steam to run games that are not released, and doing so on GeForce Now. When they do this, that game is installed on GeGorce Now's servers, and ends up in their database of games. IMO that's where the list comes from. It also contains stuff that may never release, for any number of reasons.

Why anyone things nVidia would be "guessing" these random ass games is beyond me lol
I think it actually being the rumored Playstation remake is the where the guessing part comes in. Not that the project exists in some form.

IntentionalPun

I think it actually being the rumored Playstation remake is the where the guessing part comes in. Not that the project exists in some form.
The XBox host just mentioned that as a reason people shouldn't be surprised; they said they have a source for the fact this is the rumored game.

mcjmetroid

Do people really want a remake of metal gear solid 1? ... Why?
It was great for its time and I still love it but it was very much a product of its time.
Besides we already had one and it was meh.

Deerock71

But why instead of Vagrant Story?
both GIF

demonstr8

Unless you have good evidence that you aren't telling us about you are indulging in the same fallacy as the poster you are berating. He is claiming nVidia are randomly guessing whereas you claim that they are not and that the list is real data but the list also contains things like a GameCube emulator You don't actually know exactly why and how that game got on there. Simply based on the fact that we have gotten a plethora of PS1 JRPGs remastered recently that have already been listed in this thread one could make an educated guess that Chrono Cross is next as it fits right in with the rest of them. Note this isn't a personal attack on you.

IntentionalPun

Unless you have good evidence that you aren't telling us about you are indulging in the same fallacy as the poster you are berating. He is claiming nVidia are randomly guessing whereas you claim that they are not and that the list is real data but the list also contains things like a GameCube emulator You don't actually know exactly why and how that game got on there. Simply based on the fact that we have gotten a plethora of PS1 JRPGs remastered recently that have already been listed in this thread one could make an educated guess that Chrono Cross is next as it fits right in with the rest of them. Note this isn't a personal attack on you.

I'm just using logic; you are right I should have said "I can't see why nVidia would randomly guess at games" but I am pretty confident in my opinion.

Why in the world would nVidia add such a random game to some list manually at all? What benefit does it give nVidia to guess games and put them in a DB, in any way shape or form?

They'd know well ahead of time what is actually coming because.. well, everyone knows what games are coming before they are released.. months, often years ahead of time.

Someone explain to me for instance your example; why would nVidia add a GameCube emulator to their database?

Mine is an educated guess (well, my opinion that it's educated, I design software systems for a living.) If I was creating a service like nVidia's I'd be scraping the drives of the VMs that people are using for data. I'd be compiling what is actually installed and played and pulling metadata. Anyone with a developer account can get some pretty random shit up on Valve's servers as long as they don't set a release date, nothing is reviewed. nVidia would have a reason to do that; it's their servers.. they need to know what is installed.

It makes way more sense than nVidia randomly guessing at what to add to some database internally.

Last edited:

Fbh

Never really liked the story of Chrono Cross too much, but the world and music are easily some of my favourites in all of gaming. I hope whatever remake or remaster they do (if true at all) really lives up to it.

DelireMan7

I just want a release of the original one (or remaster) in Europe on modern platform that I can finally play it.

But why instead of Vagrant Story?
Ho and give me that too !
I'd like a Xenogears, Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story remake.
I'd also say a Chrono Trigger remake makes more sense but maybe Nintendo got that one covered *cough*
And add Xenogears and Parasite Eve also (re release or remaster for me)

But I don't get the requests for Chrono Trigger remake. The game is just perfect and pass the test of time without issue. A re release on modern console would be nice.

I just recently ModChipped my PSone to replay Chrono Cross after I'm done with Tenchu 3. When I bought Sony XH90 earlier this year it doesn't even have scart port to plug in ps cable... Bought hdmi > scart converted, yet colours kept messing up and screen shaking because CC only released in NTSC regions (funnily enough, earlier Samsung TV didn't have this problem, and seemed to convert colours (?) on the fly. I've done so much to get this playable on new tv it's insane, but don't regret it at all.

Papacheeks

Banned
Still fascinated how Xbox guys always know what happen on Sony

XboxERA guy has been wrong a ton of times. Would not be surprised if his info was BS, I've heard its getting a timed release on some store platforms. Also heard Microsoft has a deal with couple Square titles for Gamepass. And I mean Japanese games.

I just dont know which titles they are. One of them is Final Fantasy remaster just dont know which one?

Chrono Cross if its a remaster I see it not having timed exclusivity. If its a remake similar to FF7R then I totally seeing it having more buying power for a console and it would have timed exclusivity. Most of Squares remasters are just that, uprezzed, cleaned up games that dont swing the needle in someone buying a console like FF7R does. PS4PRO's literally sold out in stores instantly during that games launch.

Last edited:
I just recently ModChipped my PSone to replay Chrono Cross after I'm done with Tenchu 3. When I bought Sony XH90 earlier this year it doesn't even have scart port to plug in ps cable... Bought hdmi > scart converted, yet colours kept messing up and screen shaking because CC only released in NTSC regions (funnily enough, earlier Samsung TV didn't have this problem, and seemed to convert colours (?) on the fly. I've done so much to get this playable on new tv it's insane, but don't regret it at all.
I have to say that sounds very barebones still. I can only imagine the result to be a smearfest.

Best platform to play Chrono Cross other than on a CRT has been, up to this point for me, the PSP or PSP Go.

But if you want to go that route, you'll need to add some scanlines and a dedicated scaler that can handle 240p, or it just won't do it justice.

The upscaler you bought surely considers 240p to be 480i because the amount of lines per frame is the same.

EDIT: If you need that kind of setup consider an OSSC or similar. (here's an article)

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
If this is true, this is the dumbest decision ever made by Squeenix, and they have made some damn dumb decisions over the years. Why would anyone in their right minds believe this would be the game to remake, and not Chrono Trigger? 😂😂

Top Bottom