• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation remake is reportedly Chrono Cross, expected to be 'multiplat'

Papacheeks

Banned
The nVidia leak has proved to be kinda reliable and it seems like FFIX might get a remake and FF Tactics a remaster.
I don't know, we'll find out. Right now I'd happy to see FFXVI being released this year and FFVIIR pt2 announced this year as well.

I think we wont hear anything for FF7R part 2 until after FF16 is out. Which rumblings say might be fall this year.

Wow, great argument! I’m impressed by all your points.
You listed FF4 DS as a correct way to remake a game. Do I still need to make a point?

You want them to take the height of 16-bit pixel character designs and turn it into that chibi garbage? They already did that to Secret of Mana and it still makes me throw up.

Synless

You listed FF4 DS as a correct way to remake a game. Do I still need to make a point?

You want them to take the height of 16-bit pixel character designs and turn it into that chibi garbage? They already did that to Secret of Mana and it still makes me throw up.
So you don’t like the art design? Others do. Outside of the art of the characters they nailed the gameplay, music, and every other component of the game. Its a widely accepted fact the game improved upon the original in every way.

Just in case you didn’t like the 3D version, they went ahead and did it in 2D too. Also better than the original.

Last edited:
And your assuming they won’t do it right? I’m saying it needs to happen. Not whether it can or can’t, I already know it can.
The post with one full stop was meant to be suppressed as I edited the post above. I hit reply by accident. (I dislike double posting)

I don't think they'll do it though and I would rather they remaster it properly the first time around.

I know that it technically can happen as well, but I don't see business sense. Chrono Cross is not FFVII.

JimboJones

So you don’t like the art design? Others do. Outside of the art of the characters they nailed the gameplay, music, and every other component of the game. Its a widely accepted fact the game improved upon the original in every way.

Just in case you didn’t like the 3D version, they went ahead and did it in 2D too. Also better than the original.
Even the voice acting was pretty competent in the FF4 DS, can't remember if 3 had any but I really enjoyed both of those on DS.

I prefer the pixel remaster of FF III. Didn't care for the DS version's reduced enemy parties (yeah, yeah, rebalanced blah blah blah).

Plus I get wanting a FF4 remake with more human scale characters (see: PS2 onward games).

Vognerful

I think we wont hear anything for FF7R part 2 until after FF16 is out. Which rumblings say might be fall this year.
Yo man!

I mean, you have been pushing many rumors on remakes coming Sony’s way. It has been maybe a year since you started teasing that MGS remake, Silent Hill remake & chrono whatever remake will be announced “next Sony event”.

I got tired of this bullshit.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
XboxEra...

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

Papacheeks

Banned
Yo man!

I mean, you have been pushing many rumors on remakes coming Sony’s way. It has been maybe a year since you started teasing that MGS remake, Silent Hill remake & chrono whatever remake will be announced “next Sony event”.

I got tired of this bullshit.
What do you mean its been outed that Bluepoint had started early talks for a MGS remake, but it never went past early talks and it went to some third party Chinese studio.

Konami is set to ramp up its premium game development with new instalments and remakes for its biggest franchises, including Metal Gear and Castlevania.

However, following a restructure to the company’s game development divisions earlier this year, Konami is now focused on bringing back its biggest brands to the premium games space, VGC was told.

The first of these titles will be a new Castlevania game, which sources described as a “reimagining” of the series currently in development internally at Konami in Japan, with support from local external studios.

There’s been much speculation that Demon’s Souls studio Bluepoint could be working on a remake of Metal Gear Solid. However, VGC was told the series is actually being worked on by an external studio, Virtuos.

Established in 2004, Virtuos is one of the largest game developers in the world and focuses on supporting the development of major triple-A games or bringing existing games to new platforms.

Recently it worked on the Switch ports of Dark Souls Remastered, The Outer Worlds and The BioShock Collection, as well as contributing art and content to blockbusters such as Battlefield 1, Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

The new project is currently in early development and multiple sources suggested it would be centred around fan-favourite entry Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, rather than the original MGS.

Konami also intends to release remasters of the original Metal Gear Solid games for modern consoles, ahead of the larger project, we understand.

Finally, multiple Silent Hill games are currently in development at various external development studios, as per an earlier VGC report from February.

One of these projects was outsourced to a prominent Japanese developer earlier this year, we were told.

Konami should publicly showcase its plans at major shows next year, disruption from the pandemic permitting. Konami pulled out of this year’s E3 2021 show due to “timing” issues, although at the time it confirmed it had “a number of key projects” in the works.

Konami’s Japanese bosses are understood to have historically pushed back against most pitches to outsource its key games brands, which is a big reason why previous pitches for Silent Hill games, such as one by Until Dawn studio Supermassive, weren’t greenlit.

This was from October. Supposedly one of the silent hill projects was cancelled back in 2019 and Bloober team recently was hired for a silent hill game. The Japanese studio they talk about I would assume is Kojima Productions.

If you dont like what I say then fucking ignore me. But this report from VGC goes along to what I said about buepoint at the time because they were in flux working on Sony IP's pre-buyout.

Also where have I said anything about remakes being announced at a Sony event? If anything I can see them having an event and announcing the Bloodborne remaster with a trailer for Bloodborne 2 by Bluepoint. Unless their new IP project which is smaller is further along than the sequel to BB2.

Square already has Forspoken to market for next couple months. Then FF16, so a trailer for FF7R part 2 or any of the remakes they have cooking are a ways off until we get a date and marketing for FF16. Which signs according to their PR in where they are development wise sounds like they might make 2022 fall. But that could change.

Again put me on ignore.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

Did you play Trials of Mana? That's like the polar oposite of the Secret og Mana remake. It was a vast improvement on the base game. Only thing I'd change is give them a higher budget to beef up the visuals.

Did you play Trials of Mana? That's like the polar oposite of the Secret og Mana remake. It was a vast improvement on the base game. Only thing I'd change is give them a higher budget to beef up the visuals.
Yeah, I played all 3. It played better, and looked better than SoM, but it still didn't look as good as the original. The SquareEnix pixel art with some of those games (Final Fantasy VI, Secret/Trials of Mana, Chrono Trigger) were beautiful and hold the test of time better than almost any games released on consoles after.

I do think FFVI could be cool with the Octopath-style remaster, but I don't think it would work well or is needed for Chrono Trigger.

Now, Cross could use a full remake to address many things, not just graphics.

Kimahri

Banned
Yeah, I played all 3. It played better, and looked better than SoM, but it still didn't look as good as the original. The SquareEnix pixel art with some of those games (Final Fantasy VI, Secret/Trials of Mana, Chrono Trigger) were beautiful and hold the test of time better than almost any games released on consoles after.

I do think FFVI could be cool with the Octopath-style remaster, but I don't think it would work well or is needed for Chrono Trigger.

Now, Cross could use a full remake to address many things, not just graphics.
Which is why I saif graphics is where I'd bumo the budget. It looked pretty blanf, but with more time and effort it could have been magical.

This is the key issue with some new versions of old games, they don't take into account how gorgeous the originals were for their time.

Which is why I saif graphics is where I'd bumo the budget. It looked pretty blanf, but with more time and effort it could have been magical.

This is the key issue with some new versions of old games, they don't take into account how gorgeous the originals were for their time.
They still are. My 13 year-old son, who has only ever known 3D HD graphics made comments watching me play SoM about how much he liked the graphics.

BreakOut

I disagree on all points. I think it can be redone without screwing it up. SE themselves has proven it with a handful of their remakes. Examples that come to mind are FF3 and FF4 3D remakes.
I’d be fine with the remake of chronic trigger so long as they went with that look from Octopath. I just don’t wanna see them trash that shit like they did with so many of their other final fantasy “remaster”. If they can’t do the pixel art they need to get as close as possible and for the love of the Lord leave out voice acting or get it correct. They screw up a lot of stuff when it comes to remakes and remasters. There are somethings they seem to do all right.. but I really doubt they’re willing to keep the combat so my question is where would they go from there? Shit now I’m not sure myself if they should make one.
They should just remaster it to fit normal today TVs, wide screen, and bump it up the 4K leave everything else the same.

LMAO this always happens with remakes and remasters. People get defensive over their childhood nostalgia pretending the games were perfect and sacred art.
The originals still exist you know nothing is lost calm your tits.

Mabdia

How did they "aready shited" on FFVII? You do realize FFVII Remake is a different game telling a different story, yea?

Yeah, I can understand that I've played a fanfic of Final Fantasy VII with gorgeous graphics. And that is one of the biggest problems of the game to me. I Wanted a remake, not a reboot of FFVII, since the only thing that aged bad in the game was the graphics. And that remaster didn't mange to makes things that better than the original.

The first time that the reboot of Final Fantasy VII I was expecting something like REmake. Some minor modifications where it's needed but overall it should keep the same air as the original... Just better. Not a fanfic of a story to be used in the game.

While I played the first 3 to 4 ours of the reboot of VII I felt like I was playing a generic hack'n'slash that fails to be even a decent hack'n'slash. Just like XV.

They could made something better with the gameplay. Something like Transistor, while people who want full action game could play like it, and the ones who prefer something like the old ones could play too and both could have fun with the game.

And please... if you gonna tell me that turn based is outdated, the same can be said about any action game... That argument is as outdated and idiotic as can be.

In the end, the choices that they made in the direction of the game was to sell the game in 200 parts so the new fans keep buying, since now it shine...
You have no idea wtf you're talking about, lmao.

You think so? Good to know.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah, I can understand that I've played a fanfic of Final Fantasy VII with gorgeous graphics. And that is one of the biggest problems of the game to me. I Wanted a remake, not a reboot of FFVII, since the only thing that aged bad in the game was the graphics. And that remaster didn't mange to makes things that better than the original.

The first time that the reboot of Final Fantasy VII I was expecting something like REmake. Some minor modifications where it's needed but overall it should keep the same air as the original... Just better. Not a fanfic of a story to be used in the game.

While I played the first 3 to 4 ours of the reboot of VII I felt like I was playing a generic hack'n'slash that fails to be even a decent hack'n'slash. Just like XV.

They could made something better with the gameplay. Something like Transistor, while people who want full action game could play like it, and the ones who prefer something like the old ones could play too and both could have fun with the game.

And please... if you gonna tell me that turn based is outdated, the same can be said about any action game... That argument is as outdated and idiotic as can be.

In the end, the choices that they made in the direction of the game was to sell the game in 200 parts so the new fans keep buying, since now it shine...

You think so? Good to know.

The game is neither a remake nor a reboot. I can understand it not being a full on remake like you had wanted, however it was clear even before release that it was going into a completely different direction. It also isn’t some “fanfic” and claiming it is akin to one is wholly ignorant and childish.

As for turn based vs action, hey I can’t blame you for wanting more turn based. I love that style of gameplay and it is absolutely not outdated. However again it was stated long before release that it wasn’t going to be turn based. That isn’t a reason to hate a game.

You are whining that it isn’t what *you* wanted, despite it being clear very early on that it was never going to be a 1:1 remake and even more clear a year to two prior to its release that it would be wholly its own thing. Enjoy the game for what it is rather than what it never was going to be.

Mabdia

The game is neither a remake nor a reboot. I can understand it not being a full on remake like you had wanted, however it was clear even before release that it was going into a completely different direction. It also isn’t some “fanfic” and claiming it is akin to one is wholly ignorant and childish.

As for turn based vs action, hey I can’t blame you for wanting more turn based. I love that style of gameplay and it is absolutely not outdated. However again it was stated long before release that it wasn’t going to be turn based. That isn’t a reason to hate a game.

You are whining that it isn’t what *you* wanted, despite it being clear very early on that it was never going to be a 1:1 remake and even more clear a year to two prior to its release that it would be wholly its own thing. Enjoy the game for what it is rather than what it never was going to be.
Usually I totally agree with this. But this isn't a new game, that some people are projecting what or how it should be, like titles such as The Order or Knack. They called it as a Remake of one of the best games ever made, so it is just normal that I'll judge it based on the 1997's original game.

When Capcom released Resident Evil 1 Remake, they raised the bar for any kind of Remake.

I Knew that could have some changes and I could live with that if it was for the good. I mean, I took again RE as an example, whey they announced RE2R I was one of the most critics of what they they were doing with the game. When I tried the game I had the same feeling that I had when I played the original back in 90's. They changed a lot about the game in that, It was not a 1:1 remake. It was something like 1:1.3. The changes that they choose to make, were good enough to make the game looks like new without making a entire new game. There are some mistakes as problems with continuity (not a native english speaker, and I learned by myself, so I might write in a wrong context, but continuity to me is some closer to progression of story or so).

Despite changing the gameplay 100%, the game feels like It was a Natural Evolution of the original gameplay to me. And man... before I played it, I had complained a lot about it. If they managed to put more effort in "classic mode", which is just an half-assed (full to be more precise) attempt to pander to old fans, and make some like Transistor, even if it fail, I could accept the effort put in it.

Instead, they gave to us this:

Talking about the story. C'mon man, we all know that this almost 90% of the game is useless filler just to release a lot of parts for people. The way that they approached Sephiroth is fanfic woth. You know one of the best things about Sephiroth on the original is that until some part of the game Sephiroth is just a strong presence that keep adding to the lore of the game and it slowly gets bigger and bigger. You can see the oppression of how strong he is when you see a monster that is impossible for you to defeat at the moment impaled while all we can do is run from this monster for now. And all that without seeing his face for even once. And that alone makes him one of the best Villains of the franchise.

Of corse there is some good points in the story. I really liked how much more importance characters like Jesse has in this game. It's nice and I loved the new version of her. Also that soldier Biker is really funny. But that slums part really sucks. Cloud looking for some kitties? C'mon?!

There is good things in the game. Tifa looks awesome even after the surgery to make her breasts smaller (I really needed to make this shit joke, I'm sorry!!!). I really loved Aerith too, and Barret looks really bad ass, he remind me of Wesley Snipes back in 90's and this alone is really amazing!

But in the core, I just fail to see a Final Fantasy inside there. It looks like Final Fantasy, but that's all.

All I can see is a hack'n'slash game that fail even to be that kind of a game, with some skins of Final Fantasy VII, a missed oportunity to bring back the franchise to it's greatness. If they managed to make a game without adding a lot of fat/filler just for the sake of it, and changing the minimum possible of the story, while adding something new but minor to the game, also giving a battle system that could make new fans and older ones to enjoy, that could be really amazing.

Sorry for the Wall text.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Usually I totally agree with this. But this isn't a new game, that some people are projecting what or how it should be, like titles such as The Order or Knack. They called it as a Remake of one of the best games ever made, so it is just normal that I'll judge it based on the 1997's original game.
Yes, they called it remake however they also made it perfectly clear *years* before the release that it wasn’t a 1:1 remake. Hell a year before release they made it even *more* clear that it wasn’t even really a remake. If they had marketed it as a 1:1 remake you would have a point. Except they didn’t. They never did.

When Capcom released Resident Evil 1 Remake, they raised the bar for any kind of Remake.
Yes, they did. However, as has been stated before FF7R has never been nor marketed as a 1:1 Remake. Hell, it wasn’t even marketed as a general remake.

I Knew that could have some changes and I could live with that if it was for the good. I mean, I took again RE as an example, whey they announced RE2R I was one of the most critics of what they they were doing with the game. When I tried the game I had the same feeling that I had when I played the original back in 90's. They changed a lot about the game in that, It was not a 1:1 remake. It was something like 1:1.3. The changes that they choose to make, were good enough to make the game looks like new without making a entire new game. There are some mistakes as problems with continuity (not a native english speaker, and I learned by myself, so I might write in a wrong context, but continuity to me is some closer to progression of story or so).
Resident Evil 2 is still a remake. FF7R is not. You are correct that continuity is important in a remake as remakes generally tend to follow the same story beats as the originals but add in gameplay changes, control changes, map design changes, etc. Even RE1Remake did this with adding the whole Lisa Trevor bits. However, its story is mostly the same.

This is where games like FF7R are *not* remakes. Yes, they take place in familiar locations and use familiar characters, but the story is completely different. They are going for something completely different. Hell the game is *literally* a
SEQUEL not a REMAKE (capital for emphasis). So if you want to complain that it is a bad sequel for you, then that makes far more sense and I could understand where you are coming from more.

Despite changing the gameplay 100%, the game feels like It was a Natural Evolution of the original gameplay to me. And man... before I played it, I had complained a lot about it. If they managed to put more effort in "classic mode", which is just an half-assed (full to be more precise) attempt to pander to old fans, and make some like Transistor, even if it fail, I could accept the effort put in it.

Classic Mode is more of an easy mode, which absolutely is a problem when it was poorly marketed to being something it really wasn’t. However it was also never originally designed to be in the game and instead was added as a last minute addition because people, such as your self, were complaining that the game wasn’t turn based.

Talking about the story. C'mon man, we all know that this almost 90% of the game is useless filler just to release a lot of parts for people. The way that they approached Sephiroth is fanfic woth. You know one of the best things about Sephiroth on the original is that until some part of the game Sephiroth is just a strong presence that keep adding to the lore of the game and it slowly gets bigger and bigger. You can see the oppression of how strong he is when you see a monster that is impossible for you to defeat at the moment impaled while all we can do is run from this monster for now. And all that without seeing his face for even once. And that alone makes him one of the best Villains of the franchise.
Again, the game isn’t a remake so this isn’t “Filler” content. I would suggest you read up on what that term actually means in English, as you stated you aren’t a native speaker. You simply aren’t using that term correctly.

As for Sephiroth, you would have a point if this game was a remake - but as I have stressed numerous times (and as the game blatantly shows, and the devs blatantly said for years prior to release) ITS NOT A REMAKE. This Sephiroth is NOT the same Sephiroth from FF7. This is even blatantly stated by the devs in the Ultimania. I would suggest reading it as it elucidates a lot of things that people seem to misunderstand from the game. Plus they are always cool to read to understand the design processes of these games. Square really needs to release them in the west.

Of corse there is some good points in the story. I really liked how much more importance characters like Jesse has in this game. It's nice and I loved the new version of her. Also that soldier Biker is really funny. But that slums part really sucks. Cloud looking for some kitties? C'mon?!

There is good things in the game. Tifa looks awesome even after the surgery to make her breasts smaller (I really needed to make this shit joke, I'm sorry!!!). I really loved Aerith too, and Barret looks really bad ass, he remind me of Wesley Snipes back in 90's and this alone is really amazing!

But in the core, I just fail to see a Final Fantasy inside there. It looks like Final Fantasy, but that's all.
This I don’t get. Final Fantasy has never been “one” thing. The originals were completely turn based. Then we had ATB. Then we had more action based combat. We had Tab-Target MMO combat. We had strange variations of turn-based MMO combat. We had racers, fighters, shooters. Saying that you “fail to see a Final Fantasy inside“ is completely meaningless when there is not single universal view of Final Fantasy and never has been even as early as the 16 bit era.

All I can see is a hack'n'slash game that fail even to be that kind of a game, with some skins of Final Fantasy VII, a missed oportunity to bring back the franchise to it's greatness. If they managed to make a game without adding a lot of fat/filler just for the sake of it, and changing the minimum possible of the story, while adding something new but minor to the game, also giving a battle system that could make new fans and older ones to enjoy, that could be really amazing.

Sorry for the Wall text.
The game isn’t a hack and a slash though. There is very little actual filler in this title and you are still under the impression that it was billed as a Remake, when it never was. Its, as stated before
literally a sequel to the original game

Mabdia

Yes, they called it remake however they also made it perfectly clear *years* before the release that it wasn’t a 1:1 remake. Hell a year before release they made it even *more* clear that it wasn’t even really a remake. If they had marketed it as a 1:1 remake you would have a point. Except they didn’t. They never did.

Yes, they did. However, as has been stated before FF7R has never been nor marketed as a 1:1 Remake. Hell, it wasn’t even marketed as a general remake.

Resident Evil 2 is still a remake. FF7R is not. You are correct that continuity is important in a remake as remakes generally tend to follow the same story beats as the originals but add in gameplay changes, control changes, map design changes, etc. Even RE1Remake did this with adding the whole Lisa Trevor bits. However, its story is mostly the same.

This is where games like FF7R are *not* remakes. Yes, they take place in familiar locations and use familiar characters, but the story is completely different. They are going for something completely different. Hell the game is *literally* a
SEQUEL not a REMAKE (capital for emphasis). So if you want to complain that it is a bad sequel for you, then that makes far more sense and I could understand where you are coming from more.

Classic Mode is more of an easy mode, which absolutely is a problem when it was poorly marketed to being something it really wasn’t. However it was also never originally designed to be in the game and instead was added as a last minute addition because people, such as your self, were complaining that the game wasn’t turn based.

Again, the game isn’t a remake so this isn’t “Filler” content. I would suggest you read up on what that term actually means in English, as you stated you aren’t a native speaker. You simply aren’t using that term correctly.

As for Sephiroth, you would have a point if this game was a remake - but as I have stressed numerous times (and as the game blatantly shows, and the devs blatantly said for years prior to release) ITS NOT A REMAKE. This Sephiroth is NOT the same Sephiroth from FF7. This is even blatantly stated by the devs in the Ultimania. I would suggest reading it as it elucidates a lot of things that people seem to misunderstand from the game. Plus they are always cool to read to understand the design processes of these games. Square really needs to release them in the west.

This I don’t get. Final Fantasy has never been “one” thing. The originals were completely turn based. Then we had ATB. Then we had more action based combat. We had Tab-Target MMO combat. We had strange variations of turn-based MMO combat. We had racers, fighters, shooters. Saying that you “fail to see a Final Fantasy inside“ is completely meaningless when there is not single universal view of Final Fantasy and never has been even as early as the 16 bit era.

The game isn’t a hack and a slash though. There is very little actual filler in this title and you are still under the impression that it was billed as a Remake, when it never was. Its, as stated before
literally a sequel to the original game
For the sake of not make a wall of a text again, I'll just maka simple question. If it is as you said, a sequel of the original, why is Aerith alive? If I got it wrong it's not my fault. It's Square that is selling it calling it a Remake, starting the game from the begining, not from where it finished with the original or Advent Children. I fail tor perceive it as a sequel.

About the things that make you fell a FF game. Every time that I've started to play a FF game, I get the feeling of playing one game of the franchise. Not only the gameplay, but there are a lot of things that makes you "feel" that you are playing a game inside the franchise. At least to me it used to have it. And the same aplies for a lot of games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For the sake of not make a wall of a text again, I'll just maka simple question. If it is as you said, a sequel of the original, why is Aerith alive? If I got it wrong it's not my fault. It's Square that is selling it calling it a Remake, starting the game from the begining, not from where it finished with the original or Advent Children. I fail tor perceive it as a sequel.
If you can’t tell how its a sequel, then its blatantly clear you haven’t played the game.

About the things that make you fell a FF game. Every time that I've started to play a FF game, I get the feeling of playing one game of the franchise. Not only the gameplay, but there are a lot of things that makes you "feel" that you are playing a game inside the franchise. At least to me it used to have it. And the same aplies for a lot of games.
Then that is on you and your absurd criteria for what “is” a Final Fantasy game, despite reality not being what you seem to perceive.

reksveks

If it is as you said, a sequel of the original, why is Aerith alive? If I got it wrong it's not my fault. It's Square that is selling it calling it a Remake, starting the game from the begining, not from where it finished with the original or Advent Children. I fail tor perceive it as a sequel.
cause it ain't the same timeline in the wider FF7 universe

I don't think sequel work as a 100% clear definition if you include that mechanic into your game universe. Maybe you need to separate the two out, aka a sequel where you have
1 timeline or multiple

It's definitely not a remake though.

Mabdia

If you can’t tell how its a sequel, then its blatantly clear you haven’t played the game.

Then that is on you and your absurd criteria for what “is” a Final Fantasy game, despite reality not being what you seem to perceive.
I've said that I played the game around 4 ours long, I had being clear about it. That was all that I manage to play it. Except for how good Tifa and Aerith looks, as a fan of Final Fantasy VII I couldn't find any reason to play more than that. The gameplay to me was boring, the story I followed until I have no more stomach to keep going, looked like a fanfic. I just can't find any reason to keep playing it.

And Damn, I got it on Plus and even for "free" I can't find a reason to play it. (one topic that (I think) nobody talked about (or just less than it should have being addressed) is how Square managed the DLC. Pretty despicable how they treated everybody who get bough the game on PS4 and make it a success in sales)

About the feeling of the game. There are a tons of games that you will play and felt something like it. For example, Lost Odyssey to me is way more of a Final Fantasy game, than Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3, XV and VII Remake combined. Sadly the character design sucks really bad.

And I'm not the only one who have this kind of thing with games. Games like Bloodstained and Might #9 get the success campaign on platforms like Kickstarter because there is a lot of people who wanted to have the feeling of playing a MetroidVania as good as Symphony of the Night and something as good as Mega man X (sadly Might turn out to be way less than what people expected).

cause it ain't the same timeline in the wider FF7 universe

I don't think sequel work as a 100% clear definition if you include that mechanic into your game universe. Maybe you need to separate the two out, aka a sequel where you have
1 timeline or multiple

It's definitely not a remake though.

So... Square is in this bullshit of timelines to make games now? Creativity is dying.

reksveks

So... Square is in this bullshit of timelines to make games now? Creativity is dying.
I am a fan of FFVII og, and a full remake of the story does fuck all to me. If I wanted to play that story again, I could do it on the Switch, PC and Xbox I think. I forget how much times I have bought it.

You might think the timelines shit is BS but it's what Nomura likes to do. Last year, I did enjoy the Meta nature of FF7R, Matrix and Evangelion. Obviously it's just one personal view point and you might not.

kevm3

I think for Square, using AI to upscale the backgrounds and maybe touching up the models counts as a 'remake' when it comes to games like Chrono Cross or FF9. I don't see them going all out on a remake like FF7.

Mabdia

I am a fan of FFVII og, and a full remake of the story does fuck all to me. If I wanted to play that story again, I could do it on the Switch, PC and Xbox I think. I forget how much times I have bought it.

You might think the timelines shit is BS but it's what Nomura likes to do. Last year, I did enjoy the Meta nature of FF7R, Matrix and Evangelion. Obviously it's just one personal view point and you might not.
My biggest problem with VIIR I guess that might be that Nomura sucks doing games. He does not know how to direct maintain a solid story. Damn! Everybody know how messy is Kingdom of Hearts. And to me VIIR looks like a KH with FF Skins (a little better tho).

I have nothing against they add something to the story of the original. Change it completely is other thing. To me is like someone doing a Spider Man that does not have spider powers, but have a leopard powers. I mean, it's new and we didn't see it before. But by no means that is for the better.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've said that I played the game around 4 ours long, I had being clear about it. That was all that I manage to play it. Except for how good Tifa and Aerith looks, as a fan of Final Fantasy VII I couldn't find any reason to play more than that. The gameplay to me was boring, the story I followed until I have no more stomach to keep going, looked like a fanfic. I just can't find any reason to keep playing it.

And Damn, I got it on Plus and even for "free" I can't find a reason to play it. (one topic that (I think) nobody talked about (or just less than it should have being addressed) is how Square managed the DLC. Pretty despicable how they treated everybody who get bough the game on PS4 and make it a success in sales)

About the feeling of the game. There are a tons of games that you will play and felt something like it. For example, Lost Odyssey to me is way more of a Final Fantasy game, than Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3, XV and VII Remake combined. Sadly the character design sucks really bad.

And I'm not the only one who have this kind of thing with games. Games like Bloodstained and Might #9 get the success campaign on platforms like Kickstarter because there is a lot of people who wanted to have the feeling of playing a MetroidVania as good as Symphony of the Night and something as good as Mega man X (sadly Might turn out to be way less than what people expected).

So you essentially played what is less than 1/10th of the game and are acting like its a remake instead of actually doing research on the thing you are bitching about?

I would suggest you actually *play* said game before you cry/bitch/moan about how bad it is and make asinine claims like they are fact. Claims that are factually bullshit by the way.

Tschumi

"Now, when I hear JRPG and multiplat, I automatically assume PC, PlayStation, Switch,"

Something about this part seems off to me

Also: if crossgen gimps ps5 games I've No idea what developing for Switch and PS5 would do to the ps5 game.. maybe tales of arise can tell us more...

Last edited:

Mabdia

So you essentially played what is less than 1/10th of the game and are acting like its a remake instead of actually doing research on the thing you are bitching about?

I would suggest you actually *play* said game before you cry/bitch/moan about how bad it is and make asinine claims like they are fact. Claims that are factually bullshit by the way.
Well... I'll do what you're saying. I'll stop to bitching about it.

But may I ask if I play the entire game will I have a game become next to the original? After... let's say, 20, 40, 100 hours of game? The story come to be closer to the original and stop to look like some fanfic and at best just have some minor modifications, since the original was really good? (I agree that is possible to let it even better with some minor changes, that has to be clear)

After 100 hours the gameplay come closer to be fun to play? Will be there less filler content?

squallheart

My biggest problem with VIIR I guess that might be that Nomura sucks doing games. He does not know how to direct maintain a solid story. Damn! Everybody know how messy is Kingdom of Hearts. And to me VIIR looks like a KH with FF Skins (a little better tho).

I have nothing against they add something to the story of the original. Change it completely is other thing. To me is like someone doing a Spider Man that does not have spider powers, but have a leopard powers. I mean, it's new and we didn't see it before. But by no means that is for the better.
I fully agree. Nomura is horrible and i remember watching the reveal and thinking great this is going to be kingdom hearts all over again and it was. Even to the extent they had the heartless lol. I did finish the whole game but instead of being fully satisfied i was like meh.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Well... I'll do what you're saying. I'll stop to bitching about it.

But may I ask if I play the entire game will I have a game become next to the original? After... let's say, 20, 40, 100 hours of game? The story come to be closer to the original and stop to look like some fanfic and at best just have some minor modifications, since the original was really good? (I agree that is possible to let it even better with some minor changes, that has to be clear)
Sorry, not trying to be rude here but I genuinely don’t understand what you are trying to say.

After 100 hours the gameplay come closer to be fun to play? Will be there less filler content?
As I stated before, there is very little actual filler in this game. Aside from a few ”open“ areas with side quests, most of the content is purposeful and here to help deepen bonds with characters and fill out the lore of the city/slums.

As for being fun? Dunno, that is entirely up to you. I enjoyed my first playthrough just fine with the combat, but I genuinely think that Hard is where it shines. Normal is just too damn easy and mindless.

Neilg

All I can see is a hack'n'slash game that fail even to be that kind of a game, with some skins of Final Fantasy VII, a missed oportunity to bring back the franchise to it's greatness.

The video you shared is a guy playing the first hour of the game with it set to 'easy'.

It's is 100% not a hack and slash, repeating that makes it sound like you didnt play beyond the first few hours or engage with the combat system in any meaningful way. Going back through the game on hard mode after beating it gave me an entirely new appreciation for the depth & strategy in the combat system.
I've spent my entire childhood playing FF games, and i think the combat is 7R sets a new standard. I wish most other jrpgs had a combat system even half as good.

EDMIX

The video you shared is a guy playing the first hour of the game with it set to 'easy'.

It's is 100% not a hack and slash, repeating that makes it sound like you didnt play beyond the first few hours or engage with the combat system in any meaningful way. Going back through the game on hard mode after beating it gave me an entirely new appreciation for the depth & strategy in the combat system.
I've spent my entire childhood playing FF games, and i think the combat is 7R sets a new standard. I wish most other jrpgs had a combat system even half as good.

Agreed. imho, you can play any fucking game that way and pretend its a "hack and slash" and be like "look, you just need 1 button broz"

After 100 hours the gameplay come closer to be fun to play?

lol I don't even know how anyone would be able to tell you how YOU will feel after 100 hours of playing any game. Even my favorite games of all time, I can't just say after 100 hours how you would feel just cause I like the game or something, that is simply a you thing and you'd need to play yourself to see how you feel imho.

Top Bottom