• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus has lost 1.9 million subscribers since relaunch; revenue is up, however

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It doesn't help that PS+ gift cards seem to be going away, people were using them to get the subscription cheaper than by paying official prices.

Plus Sony didn't give any starting discounts to encourage people to try Extra and Premium. Instead they just introduced even more expensive subscription options.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And? I was pointing out why they made more money.
Animated GIF

They need get ps5s out in wild, promote ps plus extra, most still have not heard of it, get more YouTubers and influencers to do vids on it, free trials is a must,

Stop releasing pc ports,
For fucks sake, u want PlayStation fans to stay loyal, do the same,

Release more day one games, like stray, why they did not release last of us part 1 day 1 or ps plus extra is beyond me,

Better games!!!
What bs is that "stay loyal"...lol. This isn't a sports team or the army. Its a game console.

Releasing older games to PC doesn't hurt you. I own a ps5, but I also own a pc and steam deck. Guess which company doesn't have a portable that can play their games, and which does. I can finally play all the ps games on steam deck, natively. They win out as if its a good game and not bought on one platform it will be bought on pc. Again this does not hurt you or take away from making new games.
What hurts is monoplistic asshole megacorps buying up publishers and devs..cough ms, cough...

Last edited:

mclaren777

The only online game I've played in the past 10 years was Borderlands 3 and I almost never download/play the free games. I've spent roughly $600 on a service that I don't use.

I'm honestly not sure why I've kept it going for so long. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Think about it, when PS Now was it's own thing, you could pay $10 and stream any available game on your PC, that means Bloodborne and a bunch of other cool things, that's how I was able to play TLOU and God of War last year, but now they want for people who are only on PC to pay $17 for 95% of features that PC players can't have and the remaining 5% will be streaming, that doesn't make any sense, there has to be a separate PC tier.

NickFire

I hope Sony decides to always offer at least 1 really good game on essentials because of this. But my guess is they will attribute it to covid subs not getting renewed, PS4 ending, and enough options that don't require paid multiplayer to make people ok with letting it lapse. That's what I am guessing was the case anyway.

sncvsrtoip

“The number of PlayStation Plus subscriber accounts at the end of September decreased 4% from the end of June to 45.4 million accounts. We see that this decrease results from a greater decline in user engagement among PlayStation 4 (PS4) users than expected.
Expected by who ? We have plenty of historical data showing late crossgens doesnt sell remotly as good on old gen yet sony thinks making crossgens to the end of the world will bring them more money ;d

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Feel like most people are missing the big picture here.

Free-to-play online games do not require a PS+ subscription to play. That includes Overwatch 2, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Genshin Impact, Destiny 2 (to a point), Fall Guys, Rocket League, R6 Siege.

That is half of the top 16 most played games on PSN, including the #1 game, Overwatch 2.

As these games get bigger and bigger, there will be less and less people who require a PS+ sub overall.

I'm sure Sony and MS have figured this would be a potential problem. Thus, they are trying to move to game based subscriptions. Sony is hoping that you'll keep using PS+ Extra even if you mostly play F2P online games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Premium tier sucks. They need to give people a reason to pay. Gamepass simply embarrasses them.

Its way cheaper than Gamepass, and the base level subscription is far baetter than GWG.
Pretty happy with what I get for £8 and change a month.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sony is hoping that you'll keep using PS+ Extra even if you mostly play F2P online games.

I think the market for those games probably has very little use for PS+ Extra honestly - thinking back to when the PS4 launched, none of the 8 F2P games in that list I mentioned existed, it was quite a different world. Over the course of the last generation these types of games have become more and more popular and I'm kinda surprised their PS+ numbers didn't fall faster. Might have a lot to do with people buying a year at a time.

Sony has Zero addicting MP Games. Why should you pay for Playstation Plus If you don't need It for F2P games??

Get your shit together and release a new Socom(Socom I/II quality Level) or something.

I bought only one month Playstation Plus for the new COD.

Literally every sub service exploded in 2020 due to more people sitting at home with nothing to do, fast forward 1-2 years later and now everyone is losing subscribers or struggling to meet growth targets, growth targets that are unrealistic and only serve to ease investor concern, and we're all confused as to why? Apparently, we don't catch on too quick.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Literally every sub service exploded in 2020 due to more people sitting at home with nothing to do, fast forward 1-2 years later and now everyone is losing subscribers or struggling to meet growth targets, growth targets that are unrealistic and only serve to ease investor concern, and we're all confused as to why? Apparently, we don't catch on too quick.
But logic and whats expected by Sony doesn't drive clicks as well as something that looks like console wars

It's all about warring, in this thread and the Xbox one several days ago.

Stop posting exactly what I am posting 5 seconds before I do :p

Last edited:
Premium tier sucks. They need to give people a reason to pay. Gamepass simply embarrasses them.

How? 1P content for GamePass (which is what its selling hook was meant to be) has been very slow or, in cases where it drops, clearly not sustaining optimal interest (case in point: Halo Infinite). By MS's own admission they seem to be stagnating on growth on the console side and while PC GamePass growth has been big, it's a question of what actual revenue has come from that.

PS+ Premium may be sucking in adding legacy games and fully leveraging the Trails, and may not get certain indie games Day 1, but it's still cheaper overall than GPU, you have a much bigger selection of games to choose from as well. And the quality of games present is at least comparable since both services share a lot of the same 3P games, though quite a few would say PS+ Premium is superior because of the 1P and 3P exclusives within that service compared to GamePass's.

That may be more an opinion based on a subjective take primarily, but fact is a lot more people feel that way about PS+ and its tiers, and the value of content they provide, than there are people who feel similarly about GamePass and its content.

00_Zer0

In general I think these subscription services on any console is ridiculous. I don't want to be beholden to any one company for a monthly subscription. Look what's happening. MS didn't meet last years Gamepass sub rate and now Sony with this. I am glad I am a PC gamer and a Switch gamer only. I am not about to own all 3 consoles and join all their subscription services. It's a waste of my money. I admit that I joined Nintendo's service with expansion pack, but when it runs out I'm going back to the bare minimum to sub rate. Also, look at the trend of all these streaming movie/tv services they are all losing money. There are too many of them with very little to watch month after month.

In general I think these subscription services on any console is ridiculous. I don't want to be beholden to any one company for a monthly subscription. Look what's happening. MS didn't meet last years Gamepass sub rate and now Sony with this. I am glad I am a PC gamer and a Switch gamer only. I am not about to own all 3 consoles and join all their subscription services. It's a waste of my money. I admit that I joined Nintendo's service with expansion pack, but when it runs out I'm going back to the bare minimum to sub rate. Also, look at the trend of all these streaming movie/tv services they are all losing money. There are too many of them with very little to watch month after month.

Wait so your reason for not buying a PlayStation or an Xbox is because you don't want to sub to their services, even though subbing to the services is COMPLETELY optional outside of PS+ and XBL Gold? And it's not like paying for online is the problem because you have the Expansion Pack for NSO which is solely for playing retro games (i.e not needed for online MP of Switch games)?

Uhh...okay I guess :/

00_Zer0

Wait so your reason for not buying a PlayStation or an Xbox is because you don't want to sub to their services, even though subbing to the services is COMPLETELY optional outside of PS+ and XBL Gold? And it's not like paying for online is the problem because you have the Expansion Pack for NSO which is solely for playing retro games (i.e not needed for online MP of Switch games)?

Uhh...okay I guess :/
My point to my whole post was not to uplift NSO expansion pack service too. It was too make a point that I think a good majority of the people are skipping out on these extra services because it's not worth their time or money. Like I said I don't even see the worth of NSO + expansion pack.

A little OT, but I am also cancelling all my streaming services like Netflix/Prime/Disney+ and Youtube Premium. I am only going to subscribe to some of those when the few shows come back on, then cancel again. In general, with the economy, and how people spend their time, I think a big part of the population is getting tired of all these subscription services.

John Wick

Wow. Loosing nearly 2 million subs especially after a relaunch is insane..
Lmfao. Sony haven't even promoted the service properly like Xbox. Wait till they start offering deals and improved games catalogue. You should be the last one commenting considering Xbox haven't even met the expectations of their service two years in a row with massive promotions and discounts. Talk about being a fanboy...........

this is the only reason i can think of , whatever is present on psn already IS or eventually WILL come to steam and people will shift to PC .
So where is the Bloodborne or Demon Souls pc release date? I been waiting for almost 10 years......

it also has most console exclusives , upcoming ones included
Where is the list of Sony games beyond 2022 coming to PC? People must be ignoring how covid and the console shortage forced Sony to release these games on PC, because they've made LESS THAN 600 MILLION since Days Gone released. Thats after 4-5 games. We have yet to see the reward Sony gets from porting their singleplayer games to PC.

This is still a business. The potential of making more money by keeping the game on console still remains, where as PC players wont buy unless it 50.00 or less and releases day one with all the DLC, lol. Good luck on waiting for Bloodbornre or Demon Souls remake with those expectations. Its more likey those upcoming playstation ports you think of are from the GAAS/ F2P titles they planned to make. In that case, I hope they all make it to PC as well.

Yeah, Im sure Sony doent like the idea of Bloodborne or Demon Souls being pirated by Fromsoft fans and xbox console owners to spite Sony because their games have been exclusive to playstion for a decade. They arent stupid. Yall going to have to buy and play Sack Boys big adventure to show Sony how bad you really want their games, because these aint F2P/Mobile MTX looters.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
It doesn't help that PS+ gift cards seem to be going away, people were using them to get the subscription cheaper than by paying official prices.

Plus Sony didn't give any starting discounts to encourage people to try Extra and Premium. Instead they just introduced even more expensive subscription options.

You can still buy the normal PlayStation store cards at Costco / sams / BJ’s for a discount (around $10 off per $100) fwiw.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

So where is the Bloodborne or Demon Souls pc release date? I been waiting for almost 10 years......

Where is the list of Sony games beyond 2022 coming to PC? People must be ignoring how covid and the console shortage forced Sony to release these games on PC, because they've made LESS THAN 600 MILLION since Days Gone released. Thats after 4-5 games. We have yet to see the reward Sony gets from porting their singleplayer games to PC.

This is still a business. The potential of making more money by keeping the game on console still remains, where as PC players wont buy unless it 50.00 or less and releases day one with all the DLC, lol. Good luck on waiting for Bloodbornre or Demon Souls remake with those expectations. Its more likey those upcoming playstation ports you think of are from the GAAS/ F2P titles they planned to make. In that case, I hope they all make it to PC as well.

Yeah, Im sure Sony doent like the idea of Bloodborne or Demon Souls being pirated by Fromsoft fans and xbox console owners to spite Sony because their games have been exclusive to playstion for a decade. They arent stupid. Yall going to have to buy and play Sack Boys big adventure to show Sony how bad you really want their games, because these aint F2P/Mobile MTX looters.
Irwa.gif

Top Bottom