• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus has lost 1.9 million subscribers since relaunch; revenue is up, however

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
[/URL]

The number of people subscribing to the service fell from 47.3 to 45.4 million after Sony added tiers to the service, which at its most basic level offers online gaming, additional features like cloud saves, and a handful of free games a month.
Despite the number of PlayStation Plus users declining — and overall monthly active users also going down, from 103 to 102 million — network services revenue, which includes PS Plus subscription revenue, increased by 10%. This is presumably due in part to users signing up for higher tiers.
In comments during an earnings call, transcribed by VGC, Sony chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki admitted that “there hasn’t been a great momentum as a whole” for the renewed service. He allowed that Sony hadn’t aggressively promoted it and predicted a recovery following “better promotions” in the future.

In general, Sony’s results and Totoki’s comments paint a picture of a company weathering a tough period, with “more people going outdoors” as the coronavirus pandemic eases, a dry games release schedule, and constrained supply of new PlayStation 5 consoles due to chip shortages.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...early-2-million-subscribers-since-its-revamp/
“There have been a declining number of members of PlayStation Plus,” he said. “However, in the second quarter we renewed our services and there hasn’t been a great momentum as a whole. Also, we didn’t make aggressive promotions during the second quarter.
He added in a reply to another investor about the PS Plus figures: “More people are now going outdoors, and we have yet to get out of the negative cycles. PS4 and third-party software sales have also been rather sluggish, and sales of catalogue titles have also been declining.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

PastelJaggedHartebeest-max-1mb.gif

this dude should give an explanation
Mlsn.gif

Elios83

LOL Polygon at least you could read the full story before making your own "article".

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q2_sonyspeech.pdf

Sony gave the reason for this, not only the covid restricrions are over but the PS4 installed base is becoming inactive and less enagaged because it's an old console while of course the PS5 installed based is super engaged.
If they can't improve PS5 sales quickly it is hard to grow subscription numbers as well. More PS4 old users become disengaged than the number of users they get through PS5 sales.
Hence why selling hardware is important.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nothing insane about it lol.

its not great though. the problem with saying just loosing 2 million is we don't know if they PSnow users who just didn't like the new deals or just regular PS+ users. stats can tell more but am sure they will come back at some point

Last edited:
its not great though. the problem with saying just loosing 2 million is we don't know if they PSnow users who just didn't like the new deals or just regular PS+ users. stats can tell more but am sure they will come back act some point

I mean obviously there's nothing impressive about it. They've hit their roadblock as far as subscriber growth goes and that's been obvious since 2021. The focus now is retention and increasing RPU

Cyborg

It's over for Sony! In 5 years there will be no PlayStation anymore and the problem of CoD on that platform will be solved.

Anyway like people who are not looking for drama said;

- Are subscribers down: Yes
- But despite that, Sony just had its best quarter ever for subscription revenue.
- Revenue per subscriber in the PS+ segment is up 21% YoY.

Ozriel

M$FT
LOL Polygon at least you could read the full story before making your own "article".

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q2_sonyspeech.pdf

Sony gave the reason for this, not only the covid restricrions are over but the PS4 installed base is becoming inactive and less enagaged because it's an old console while of course the PS5 installed based is super engaged.
If they can't improve PS5 sales quickly it is hard to grow subscription numbers as well. More PS4 old users become disengaged than the number of users they get through PS5 sales.
Hence why selling hardware is important.

If you took your own advice and read the article properly, you’d see this

Sony chief financial officer Hiroki Totoki admitted that “there hasn’t been a great momentum as a whole” for the renewed service. He allowed that Sony hadn’t aggressively promoted it and predicted a recovery following “better promotions” in the future.

Growing what, steam subscription? Lmao god give me strength

Steam reports MAUs. I presume that’s what he’s referring to. Even though I certainly don’t agree with him that users are leaving the platform. There’s nothing to support that.

It's over for Sony! In 5 years there will be no PlayStation anymore and the problem of CoD on that platform will be solved.

Anyway like people who are not looking for drama said;

- Are subscribers down: Yes
- But despite that, Sony just had its best quarter ever for subscription revenue.
- Revenue per subscriber in the PS+ segment is up 21% YoY.

Ironically, you’re the one dramatizing the whole thing. They cover all the points you cite. Including Sony CFO’s statement that the momentum for the new sub services are slower than they’d have liked. Reasonable assumption to expect it’ll grow now they’ve determined to promote their sub services more aggressively.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Canceled my subscription today. I barely play the free games I get and I almost never play any online multiplayer. The only MP I engage with is Elden Ring and I can live without it. It's just a waste of money overall.

I've seen this sentiment across GAF and other sites a lot. People seemingly don't want to keep subscribed to PS+ long term. If Sony wants to make their sub service a core part of their services, they need to seriously look at either start giving day 1 games, or make it like 1~3 month or something instead of a full year's delay.

PeteBull

Fuck subscriptions, always good too to see it doing bad, both from MS and Sony side, coz it forces first party studios to do more multiplier/mtx/gaas shitgames, i hope it falls even harder so we get tons of quality games that arent build around performing well under subscription services.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I mean, its 2 millions out of almost 50 million. I wouldn't worry. If the number keeps dwindling, then Sony would have a problem.

Mr Hyde

If Sony wants to make their sub service a core part of their services, they need to seriously look at either start giving day 1 games, or make it like 1~3 month or something instead of a full year's delay.

Giving expensive AAA games away day 1 is a terrible idea business wise, so no, I don't think it will help the service in the long run. I don't like subscription services because I like to buy the games I want to play instead of paying a monthly (or yearly) fee for all the games I won't play.

Puscifer

Gold Member
It's a legit scam so even 45 million paying monthly for basic features present for free in 90's PC games must be seen as a huge win by Sony.
I mean Microsoft started it, but back then there was nothing like it in terms of a unified cross-game system so there was some value to it.

Top Bottom