• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation plus collection : turning a stellar offer into a complete mess.

When i learned about ps+ collection in the second ps5 reveal, i instantly thought Sony got a winner.
With a very small investment, you had access to a selection of the best games from last gereration.
I thought is was a genius idea for both reasons :
- it makes ps5 very attractive for people who did not have a ps4
- it was a nice bonus for ps4 owners to anticipate the transition to ps5.

So i thought this was the way it was going to work :
- the collection would be playable on ps5 only to entice ps4 owners to upgrade
- you could grab the collection when ps5 launches and add the games to your library if you had an active ps+ account. As when you could stack vita games without owning a vita.

But now i read that in order to add the ps+ collection games to your library, you need to do it from a ps5 ! So if you don't have one, you can't !
And when you do, the games are playable on a ps4 ???
Why can't i add those games to my library from the app as i'm a ps+ subscriber and make those playable only on ps5 when i'll get one ? I don't have any friend who has a ps5 yet...
If there is an end date to ps+collection, there is going to be such an uproar on current ps+ subscribers without a ps5.

But, at the same time i can add ps5 bugsnax on my library !

A total mess !

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
When you can play them on a ps4 ?? I don't understand why i can't add them now on my library (and play them later when i'll grab a ps5).

One paying subscriber having access to a ps5 10 minutes to log in can add the games to its library and not me ??
There being workarounds doesn't negate the obvious fact that it's to encourage you to buy a PS5.

Topher

Gold Member
"So i thought this was the way it was going to work :
- the collection would be playable on ps5 only to entice ps4 owners to upgrade"

Right. And so once you've upgraded and added the games to your library.....all good.

What is the problem again?

Blond

Banned
You could honestly sum up all this REEEE into “It didn’t meet my personal expectation’s even though Sony laid out the details already so I’m just gonna be mad instead.”

Also I added all those games to my collection and downloaded them to an external last night for later use, shit was SO cash.

Snykx30.jpg

jaysius

Banned
Not only is this a dumb integration, but it fucks over PS4 owners that don't own a PS5, by making them pay the SAME PRICE for PLUS and artificially gating content that obviously WORKS on their machines.

Not enough is said on how fucked up this is that Sony did this.

PS4 PS PLUS should be called PS MINUS, MINUS about 20 games.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

Right. And so once you've upgraded and added the games to your library.....all good.

The problem is that this collection means shit if I cant play it in my ps4. I need to buy a ps5, add the games to my library and then download the game on ps4? Not cool.

Well, may be i suspect there will be an end date for ps+ collection and to be screwed. Fair enough, i may be too suspicious as communication is not clear.

Azurro

Banned
When you can play them on a ps4 ?? I don't understand why i can't add them now on my library (and play them later when i'll grab a ps5).

One paying subscriber having access to a ps5 10 minutes to log in can add the games to its library and not me ??

If you could get them on a PS4 now, it'd make no sense as the point is to be an incentive to get people to upgrade to a PS5.

I don't understand why you think there is some mystery: "If you have PS Plus and you got a PS5, congrats! Here are a bunch of free games, enjoy!".

There you go.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They literally just wouldn't have added these games without the PS5 restriction...

Because that's the point of the deal, to encourage a PS5 purchase.... the reason they had to use PS4 games, is.. obviously there's a huge lack of PS5 content to choose from.

Obviously it's rather arbitrary and not a technical reason you need a PS5; but it's a bonus that only exists in the first place to encourage PS5 buying....if you don't think PS+ is providing you with the value they are giving you for the price, cancel the service.

It should at least be possible to add the games without the need for a ps5 just like it was before Sony changed their online store.

I had to ask a friend to get the games on his ps5 and now I'm downloading Detroit on my ps4.

After reading answers, it's true that as of now, there is no issue.
I'll revisit if down the line ps plus collection is removed and has an end date. Hope this day doesn't come...

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
It should at least be possible to add the games without the need for a ps5 just like it was before Sony changed their online store.

I had to ask a friend to get the games on his ps5 and now I'm downloading Detroit on my ps4.

Just because you are using a loophole it doesn't mean that that's the intended use. The point was to incentivise people to get a PS5, you are acting as if you are entitled to the games and "had to" login to some PS5 somewhere to get them.

Last edited:
Just because you are using a loophole it doesn't mean that that's the intended use. The point was to incentivise people to get a PS5, you are acting as if you are entitled to the games and "had to" login to get them.
Nop, I'm upset because they took our ability to redeem games in the online store and now we can't. I don't know about you but I don't like less options.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
It will most likely be around for some time so I don’t see the issue. It’s not like it’s going to disappear in a month.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just added Bugsnax from the website to my collection and I still don't have my PS5.

edit: nevermind, I don't think I understood your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just added Bugsnax from the website to my collection and I still don't have my PS5.

edit: nevermind, I don't think I understood your post.
Yes, i did the same. But not possible for ps+ collection games. You have to log on a ps5.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well, may be i suspect there will be an end date for ps+ collection and to be screwed. Fair enough, i may be too suspicious as communication is not clear.

Well currently Sony is having a hard time figuring out whether the PS4 or PS5 version of a game should be installed on PS5. Communication isn't the only problem they are having to deal with right now.

It's super stingy of Sony, and kind of a middle finger to most of their paying customers.

Saying that a friend of mine from work is letting me log into hers, stick them in my library then I'll just delete my profile.

Which in fairness does also give me the added thrill of knowing I'm breaking their rules, so that's a bonus.

Azurro

Banned
Thing is i liked the ability to stack games from ps+ on a future device like the vita in case i got one in the future, and they removed this possibility.

They didn't remove anything, it's a benefit for PS5 owners that have PS Plus, that's it. The regular free PlayStation plus games are still being given away, like Bugsnacks.

I think you are just upset and entitled because you don't want to understand the point behind the collection, you feel entitled to it anyway.

MastaKiiLA

I think everyone understood this to be PS5-only, as it was part of the PS5 reveal, and mentioned only in the scope of getting a PS5. I think most of us also expect this to be an ongoing promotion, and not only for a limited time. No reason to stop it, when supply can't keep up with demand. If it's something they expect will help conversion to next-gen, then it makes no financial sense to end the program. They're not going to expect gamers to buy those PS4 games in any appreciable amount, so it only really works as a carrot for those that want to enjoy the past. Personally, I have no interest in it, and I plan on getting a PS5. I'll only make sure the games are added to my library, but I won't play them.

xion4360

It clearly said in the trailer that it was a benefit for ps5 owners...why would they make it so you didnt need a ps5 to redeem it?

In fact, the origin of my anger comes from the fact i thought i would be possible to add the games to my lib, as it was the answer i received here on gaf and another forum.

Is it so hard for Sony to be clear ?? Their posts on psblog did not make things clear.

cormack12

Gold Member
PS+ gives you an entitlement to Bugsnax
PS5 gives you access to the PS+ collection

It's how they manage not giving away all their first parties to everyone on PS+

It should allow you to claim them from the app/store as your account will have a PS5 registered. But it doesn't. So yeah it's a weird inconvenience but Im sure in future they will retrofit a software solution. Looks like it was just a quick and dirty fix to a specific problem.

sainraja

When i learned about ps+ collection in the second ps5 reveal, i instantly thought Sony got a winner.
With a very small investment, you had access to a selection of the best games from last gereration.
I thought is was a genius idea for both reasons :
- it makes ps5 very attractive for people who did not have a ps4
- it was a nice bonus for ps4 owners to anticipate the transition to ps5.

So i thought this was the way it was going to work :
- the collection would be playable on ps5 only to entice ps4 owners to upgrade
- you could grab the collection when ps5 launches and add the games to your library if you had an active ps+ account. As when you could stack vita games without owning a vita.

But now i read that in order to add the ps+ collection games to your library, you need to do it from a ps5 ! So if you don't have one, you can't !
And when you do, the games are playable on a ps4 ???
Why can't i add those games to my library from the app as i'm a ps+ subscriber and make those playable only on ps5 when i'll get one ? I don't have any friend who has a ps5 yet...
If there is an end date to ps+collection, there is going to be such an uproar on current ps+ subscribers without a ps5.

But, at the same time i can add ps5 bugsnax on my library !

A total mess !

I think the reason we can't add outside of a PS5 is so that it stays an exclusive feature of the PS5 (meaning, if you could do it outside of that, you would be able to play via the PS4 too and I think there is most likely a technical reason behind it.) What I think on this is that they shouldn't keep that from people who have the PS4, specially not as a way to get us to upgrade. It's a silly way to promote the PS5. We're already invested into your system why punish us?

Last edited:
Again, you are not entitled to those games without a PS5, that's why you can't redeem them. It's not a system bug
They didn't take anything away, don't be silly. You are not entitled to the collection if you didn't get a PS5, that's the point.
It's called: creat a problem and sell the solution.
One month ago you could use the online store to buy and redeem any game from ps3, psvita and ps4. When ps4 launched I was able to get many games before buying.
Now you can only use it for ps5 and ps4 games. Want to get ps+ collection for ps5? Buy a ps5. Great.

I get if you are a shareholder and make profit with those decisions, what I don't understand is a consumer who spends time defending the actions of multibilionary companies who take away their options in order to make profit.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think the reason we can't add outside of a PS5 is so that it stays an exclusive feature of the PS5 (meaning, if you could do it outside of that, you would be able to play via the PS4 too.) What I think on this is that they shouldn't keep that from people who have the PS4, specially not as a way to get us to upgrade.

Its an incentive to buy a PS5 and subscribe. Buy a PS5 and get our top games included. Why would they give the games to PS4 owners?

A PS4 owner now knows I don't have to buy all those games from PSN. I can buy a PS5 and have a couple hundred dollars worth of games included.

Top Bottom