• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation PC games revenue so far; to Have 50 / 50 % Investment on new & existing IP By 2025; +20 games for VR2 launch + more

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Absolutely. That's why they hired the ex-Rainbow Six director. Pretty sure that's going to be a MP shooter.
Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

FTo213oWQAAmKcX

lol at $26.2 million. All this for $26 million. Remember, they made $25 billion last year from their console business.

And $300 million next year means every single game is coming to PC and most probably on day one. Pretty sure I was called chicken little here when i called this 2 years ago. This was always the end game.

I'd say some apologies are in order, but i know im still not gonna get any.
Jesus...trolling here already? Jim Ryan literally said live on the conference call a few minutes ago that those 300M are because of the 2 live service games yet to be announced. Those are the day one PC releases. You could read the topic before doing troll posts like these once in a while.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus...trolling here already? Jim Ryan literally said live on the conference call a few minutes ago that those 300M are because of the 2 live service games yet to be announced. Those are the day one PC releases. You could read the topic before doing troll posts like these once in a while.
Where was this in the OP? You make it sound like you posted this information in the OP but i just went over it and didnt see it.

kingfey

Banned
80K units move in 82 minutes, or 1k a minute. That's insane demand. The only thing I see in stores is the Series S.
Amazon and the internet online stores makes this easier. Considering, you are ordering it from your comfortable room.

The stock issues still a big issue right now. That is the only thing that stop this from having 150m trajectory.

Amazon and the internet online stores makes this easier. Considering, you are ordering it from your comfortable room.

The stock issues still a big issue right now. That is the only thing that stop this from having 150m trajectory.

Well Sony must have some info on the supply side of things if they are giving investors those expectations. They are expecting the PS5 to surpass the PS4 at some point.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Those charts and revenue growth show me that day and date live service games on PC is soon to be a reality. That’s the only possible way that many titles will be able to support active and paying playerbases.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Well Sony must have some info on the supply side of things if they are giving investors those expectations. They are expecting the PS5 to surpass the PS4 at some point.
That is something us forum people don't know. So it's great that we can get some insight.

SlimySnake

SlimySnake SlimySnake wanting your sources like
d398ec8123b509a4095b630a16f5601d801a3f10.gifv
Not really. His post made it sound like i purposefully ignored Jim Ryan's statements in the OP when there is no mention of the $300 million coming out of 2 live service games that will be released on PC day one. All I saw was that they expect $300 million in PC revenue after posting just $80 million last year and naturally assumed its because they would be porting way more PS5 games than they have before. It's only common sense.

I believe Tiago. I will take his word for it. I dont assume people are trolling or lying when they say something on these boards.

Varteras

Gold Member
Not really. His post made it sound like i purposefully ignored Jim Ryan's statements in the OP when there is no mention of the $300 million coming out of 2 live service games that will be released on PC day one. All I saw was that they expect $300 million in PC revenue after posting just $80 million last year and naturally assumed its because they would be porting way more PS5 games than they have before. It's only common sense.

I believe Tiago. I will take his word for it. I dont assume people are trolling or lying when they say something on these boards.
Lol I was just messing around bud

Corndog

Banned
From Sony Business Briefings. Check their PDF here

FTo213oWQAAmKcX

This...is a lot of growth for the fiscal year ending in March 2023. It means they will release...a lot more than just Uncharted on PC until then.

FTo36-RWYAINk2K

Sony is going to keep betting more and more on new IP's, which is exciting!

tdgw31.png

Over 20 games, both 1st and 3rd party are going to be ready for PS VR2 release.

u5Hkye9.png

Sony will have released 3 live service games by march 2023...so far we got The Show. It means we are going to have 2 unannounced games until March 2023 that are live releases.
One is probably Factions...the other is unknown.

FTpE5f3XoAE8L7R

The fact that PS5 has almost the double the demand the PS4 had...lmao. And people think PC releases are ruining something here.

Exciting times ahead!

Edit:
. Demand for PS5 is almost the double of the PS4 for the same time (One Year After Each Console’s Launch Year, North America Only)
. They predict the PS5 to surpass the PS4 sales (launch aligned) during year 4...so somewhere during march 2023 and march 2024
. China is a huge emerging market for them
. They mention Avatar alongside their 1st party games and 3rd party timed-exclusive games like Forspoken and FFXVI...which might be nothing, but at least it means a marketing deal is in place;
. PS5: Highest Engagement Ever for a PlayStation console
. "Ongoing AAA Slate" | "Continue Free-to-Play Growth" | "Retain Post-COVID-19 Digital Shift" | "Loyal Subscriber Base and ARPU Growth Opportunities"
. PS4 still has the highest PS store revenue: 65%
. In 2013 80% of sales were physical. by 2021 that 80%...belonged to digital, with physical being only 20%
. PlayStation Direct to expand to Portugal (my country does get some stuff i see), Spain, Italy and Austria next.
I wonder where that giant jump in pc revenue is supposed to come from? Have they announced any new pc games?

GT7 doesn't count as live service?

Anyway, nothing sounds better to me than investing in new IPs.

Sony PC strategy has pretty much already been proven successful by the simple fact the PS5 keeps selling out and they now make extra money on PC. Once one of their GaaS games hits, PC starts to make even more sense.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
FTo213oWQAAmKcX

lol at $26.2 million. All this for $26 million. Remember, they made $25 billion last year from their console business.

And $300 million next year means every single game is coming to PC and most probably on day one. Pretty sure I was called chicken little here when i called this 2 years ago. This was always the end game.

Revenue isn’t profit. I could be mistaken but I believe their earnings were 7.6 billion in 2021. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Source: https://www.wallstreetzen.com/stocks/us/nyse/sony/earnings

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is more clear confirmation that it's day and date on pc coming very soon. Who was it again in denial saying this wasn't happening?

Corndog

Banned
I didn’t see that. Thanks for the information.

SlimySnake

Revenue isn’t profit. I could be mistaken but I believe their earnings were 7.6 billion in 2021. If I’m wrong someone please correct me.

Source: https://www.wallstreetzen.com/stocks/us/nyse/sony/earnings
I know. They mentioned revenue here for PC sales too so the comparison holds.

And I should clarify they made $25 billion in revenue in 2020. We dont have the numbers from the PS division's 2021 year yet but numbers were down from covid 2020 year. I am guessing its still around $17-20 billion.

Varteras

Gold Member
FTo4DYJXwAIFaSg

What I find most interesting about this slide is the description of Valkyrie Entertainment. Now, we had all assumed that they were brought on as just support. But it was also said that they had been working on internal projects prior to acquisition. Others on Twitter, such as Zuby, listed Valkyrie as working on some kind of strategy game. We know they've worked on mobile style games like Guns Up. Unlike Nixxes, who gets listed as being focused on PC porting, Valkyrie is listed as a Game Developer of console, PC, and mobile titles. Firesprite is also given this label but with the addition of VR. Again, people like Zuby have claimed Firesprite is working on a mobile title and we already know they are working on a Horizon VR game.

So what do we think? Is Valkyrie actually more than just a support studio based on this?

GhostOfTsu

Banned
PC sales are very underwhelming, I would even say they are trash 😳

GOW was on top of the charts on Steam for several weeks and it didn't even sale 1 million? PC sales are way smaller than I thought. Where is this huge untapped market?

Horizon too is always top 10 when there is a sale. Steam rankings are really meaningless 🙄

ACESHIGH

Banned
GT7 doesn't count as live service?

Anyway, nothing sounds better to me than investing in new IPs.

Sony PC strategy has pretty much already been proven successful by the simple fact the PS5 keeps selling out and they now make extra money on PC. Once one of their GaaS games hits, PC starts to make even more sense.

To me is more like they never had something to worry about. PS gamers won't jump ship to PC due to all those ports. MS consoles are selling more than ever and their games are day one on PC and cloud.

They gotta put the product close to where the audience is. The idea of buying a specific device to play a game is so 90s and should go the way of the dodo.

Shmunter

GOW was on top of the charts on Steam for several weeks and it didn't even sale 1 million? PC sales are way smaller than I thought. Where is this huge untapped market?

Horizon too is always top 10 when there is a sale. Steam rankings are really meaningless 🙄
It’s just mopping up the floor for lose change and to tempt users into the eco system for sequels. It’s evident by the minimal pc portfolio investment by 2025, it’s not the 50:50 day one pc porters were championing, and that’s even 3 years from now.

It’s evident it will be a procrastinated release cycle on pc of older titles.

Last edited:

Yeah some what, I think I've had a total of 4 or 5 PS5 Disc editions. All sold around the 550ish mark to friends (Except mine).

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It’s just mopping up the floor for lose change and to tempt users into the eco system for sequels. It’s evident by the minimal pc portfolio investment by 2025, it’s not the 50:50 day one pc porters were championing, and that’s even 3 years from now.

It’s evident it will be a procrastinated release cycle on pc of older titles.
God of War was #1 on Steam for 3 WEEKS IN A ROW and it didn't even sale 1 million. Imagine the rest below it 🥴

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Steam is huge, and Sony is new to this market. Plus the game was released this year.
Cool down your anger little bit.

Also steam sales aren't meaningless, by the fact that the game sold that much. It just didn't have the legs to have long term sales.

A little game called V rising sold 1m on steam in 1 week.

That is the competition Gow has.

FTo213oWQAAmKcX

You should stop cocaine, it's leading you astray...
Gaas titles are coming to PC, day one, imo; SP projects are to get individual ports down the line, once the PS5 sales well gets dry. Minimal costs for Sony, good revenues, great ROI. Easy to understand for any Tom, Jin or Mohamed...Not for you though...

Last edited:

kyliethicc

They are releasing Factions and TLOU Remake day one on PC and PS5. Watch that happening.
edit: Actually Jim said the PC growth forecast is connected to the 2 live service games strategy...so the 2 unannounced live service games will be day one on PS5 AND PC. It's basically confirmed now. Factions and...something else.
Helldivers 2

kingfey

Banned
I said AAA exclusives, no war here. Stop being defensive. If a game is 3 weeks at no1 and it's struggling to sell 1 million on the biggest platform then it's not recouping the development costs.

GOW sold more than that in 1 day when it came out.
That is because its a console game, which was made by the console owner.

Gow is basically a 3rd party game, which is competing against games like V rising. It was never going to sell 4m in the 1st year.

Plus steam has tons of games being released on the system.

Also, PC gets tons of AAA exclusives. Its just not on steam.

EA, Activision-Blizzard's, Take2, Ubisoft are all pc companies. They release their AAA exclusives on their launcher.

yurinka

We'll eat good, for sure:
  • More PS games, more pc ports, more mobile games and more vr games
  • More GaaS game and more traditional games
  • More new IPs and more sequels
  • More movies and tv shows
  • More acquisitions coming and existing 1st party studios continue growing
God bless Jimbo and Hermen

fuertes.gif

Gow is basically a 3rd party game,
GoW is 3rd party in PC, as MLB is on Xbox. Both are 1st party on PS.

Absolutely. That's why they hired the ex-Rainbow Six director. Pretty sure that's going to be a MP shooter.
He also was the director of the Killzone 2 multiplayer director btw.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Totally fair to compare sales of a brand new game with a massive marketing push, bundled with consoles and discounted to death vs an SKU that is 60 USD, marketed with a ps blog post and ported 3 to 4 years after it's original release.

Folks... you should be on the acceptance phase by now. The denial one should have ended when GOW was announced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom