• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Now games for April 2021: Marvel’s Avengers, Borderlands 3 and The Long Dark

Crap analogy.

goodfellas funny guy GIF

Seriously though. I’d rather not have free games than this mediocrity. You’re paying for these games through a service. I find spending money on old and mediocre games as a service to be a waste of my money. I’d rather spend money as I see fit on games that I deem worthy of my money.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
"According to PlayStation, even though PS Now is available on PS5, the service still only gives subscribers access to PS4, PS3, and PS2 games. "

lol....what? Is this for real? So if you have PS Now and download Marvel Avengers on your PS5,

The games are not free. They are part of a subscription that you pay for.
This would be a valid point twenty years ago. Name me something in modern life that isn't subscription based....

mortal

Gold Member
Game Pass gets Outriders, PS Now gets Avengers.

nick offerman smile GIF
Some of you guys tend to make this shit a far bigger deal than it needs to be, and I don't understand why.
Hard to complain about getting some free games, even if said games might be mediocre.

Last edited:
the game is so cheap right now lmfao. you guys cant be real. now paying for games is some alien thing

A subscription service is no different than renting a game. Places like Blockbuster used to have rental deal plans. This is just a modern version of renting games, except you get incomplete games because of how games are made today.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
the game is so cheap right now lmfao. you guys cant be real. now paying for games is some alien thing

I bought the game it sucks ass, was just pointing out that what Sony paid for won’t even be out when it’s on psnow. Seems like a dumb move

Alright

Banned
goodfellas funny guy GIF

Seriously though. I’d rather not have free games than this mediocrity. You’re paying for these games through a service. I find spending money on old and mediocre games as a service to be a waste of my money. I’d rather spend money as I see fit on games that I deem worthy of my money.
I love free games. Some of my favourite experiences of last gen were the free games on gamepass. I have no issue with the service, I just take issue with how much money Microsoft use on the xbox division, yet fail to maximise their returns because of bad decision making.

Microsoft could be the king of this industry, like they used to be. They've just forgotten how to be succesful

SLB1904

Banned
I bought the game it sucks ass, was just pointing out that what Sony paid for won’t even be out when it’s on psnow. Seems like a dumb move
no it isnt. square clearly wants to put the game in a load of people hands so they can sell it with the help of spiderman

Alright

Banned
Most things I own are not part of a subscription. I don't get what you are saying.

Regardless, a game service subscription is paid for and so none of the games are "free".
Well done for being part of small minority of people in the west. We're a rare breed. Most people rent cars, houses, holidays on a credit card, sky, Netflix, their phone, amazon prime, Gamepass.... the list goes on.

Yeah, OK they're not "free" but until a word comes along that describes "incredibly low cost of entertainment:hour ratio where you pay a monthly subscription to access the service", I'm going to stick with free.

TKOFromTokyo TKOFromTokyo

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
IGN lInk has been updated.

Now confirmed all 3 games are the PS4 versions.

Update 2 (4/5/21) - Sony has additionally confirmed that both Marvel's Avengers and Borderlands 3 will be released on PS Now in their PS4 versions.

Update (4/5/21) - Square Enix has confirmed that this will indeed be Marvel's Avengers for PS4. However, subscribers will be able to transfer their save to the PS5 version if they choose to buy it.

I love free games. Some of my favourite experiences of last gen were the free games on gamepass. I have no issue with the service, I just take issue with how much money Microsoft use on the xbox division, yet fail to maximise their returns because of bad decision making.

Microsoft could be the king of this industry, like they used to be. They've just forgotten how to be succesful

Honestly, no subscription service has works out for me except Disney + because I can play a ton of things for the kids that I’d prefer not to own. I find 95% of what’s on them unappealing and tend not to use them as a result.

Withnail

I'm predicting some drama tomorrow when it's discovered that PS Now covers PS4 but not PS5, and the PS5 versions of Avengers and BL3 aren't available for download.

Sony's crappy cross-gen system means that if they allowed PS5 downloads there would be no way to transfer the save back and forth between download and streaming. Most people wouldn't want to do this anyway but I think Sony would see it as justification for only allowing the PS4 version to be downloaded.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
no it isnt. square clearly wants to put the game in a load of people hands so they can sell it with the help of spiderman

stop embarssing yourself Spider man was due out being of the year it’s been delayed indefinitely. The promise of spider man to sway mulitpalte user was just a lie, the game will be long dead and buried before Sony’s purchased content ever shows up. Can’t think of a bigger waste of money on such a shit product.

SLB1904

Banned
Honestly, no subscription service has works out for me except Disney + because I can play a ton of things for the kids that I’d prefer not to own. I find 95% of what’s on them unappealing and tend not to use them as a result.
same for me, but i dont have kids and its pretty much wack. doesnt help when the falcon and winter soldier plus the new loki looks cheap as hell, is jarring after the high budget of the avengers movies

stop embarssing yourself Spider man was due out being of the year it’s been delayed indefinitely. The promise of spider man to sway mulitpalte user was just a lie, the game will be long dead and buried before Sony’s purchased content ever shows up. Can’t think of a bigger waste of money on such a shit product.
are you Trippin? you the one who brought up spiderman. you need to take a chill pill. embarrass yourself... follow you own advice

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm predicting some drama tomorrow when it's discovered that PS Now covers PS4 but not PS5, and the PS5 versions of Avengers and BL3 aren't available for download.

Sony's crappy cross-gen system means that if they allowed PS5 downloads there would be no way to transfer the save back and forth between download and streaming. Most people wouldn't want to do this anyway but I think Sony would see it as justification for only allowing the PS4 version to be downloaded.
Its already confirmed, check my post a few above.

Avengers is good. Campaign is fun. You'll eventually hit a wall after the campaign tho. And YMMV on how much you enjoy the combat. Because after the campaign you need to level up your characters to fully unlock all their skills from their movesets. And with 8 characters it can take a while. Unless you just focused on one person.

on the plus side the combat is fantastic. The guy that made the combat for God of War (2018) is also the lead combat designer for Avengers. So Thor plays the same as Kratos, but he can fly.

If u watch any of the "recreating MCU moves in Avengers" vids on youtube. You can see how faithful the movesets are

There is no data but it basically not possible to Outriders to had more sales on Steam that others big titles from Square Enix like FFXV.
Just because the SteamDB is more focused in Online games doesn't make others games did not sell on Steam.

BTW since when Benji knows anything? He works for a distrital Best Buy and a lot of times his data was not accurate with the full NPD data that make him cry a lot of time saying he will stop to "talk about sales".

He said Series X was outselling PS5 in US at launch because it had more inventory lol
C'mon.

He started to cry and deleted the tweet and left ERA claiming he was being bullied when he was so off that was even laughable.

Outriders biggest launch on Steam not SE biggest launch overall. Outriders is SE's biggest launch on Steam only. Yes overall FF games had bigger launch. We talking about steam only here

ethomaz

Banned
Outriders biggest launch on Steam not SE biggest launch overall. Outriders is SE's biggest launch on Steam only. Yes overall FF games had bigger launch. We talking about steam only here
Yeap I’m talking Steam only.
On the first days SteamSpy estimate was already over 220k units sold.

But because it was a single player offline game it didn’t entered the concurrent players stats.

Benji made up a claim and you guys were fooled by him.

Last edited:

Agent X

Now confirmed all 3 games are the PS4 versions.

I figured as much.

For the streaming portion of PS Now, it's understandable (for now), since Sony hasn't yet implemented PS5 hardware into the servers on the back end. But, you'd hope that they'd at least enable PS5 owners to download the PS5 version of the game.

The following post might give a hint as to why they're not doing this yet.

You're right, but that's not all.

Even if you're only playing on PS4, there's a disconnect between the streamed version and the downloaded version of the game. If you stream the game, your save file goes into PS Now's cloud save area (not PS Plus's cloud save area--there is a difference), but if you download it and play to your PS4, it saves directly to your console's hard drive. If you want to transfer saves between the two, then you have to do so manually, using PS Plus's cloud save area as the go-between. Yes, this means this ability is only available if you have a PS Plus subscription, in addition to PS Now.

It's not a big deal, as most users probably won't be switching frequently between downloading and streaming for a particular game. It's still annoying for those who do, or even for those who initially stream a game once to give it a quick try (to see if they like the game enough to keep playing), and then download it for subsequent play sessions.

I don't own a PS5, but from what I've read, there are similar issues between games using the PS4 file system and the PS5 file system, even within the PS Plus cloud. This seems to be what you're describing above. There are multiple ways that Sony could solve this problem. Here are a couple:

1. Enable PS5 games to directly read and interpret the saved data from the PS4 version of the game--both on the hard drive, and in the cloud.
2. Program both the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game so that it automatically utilizes some dedicated cloud storage area (separate from the PS Plus cloud or PS Now cloud). Both versions of the game would have the ability to automatically load from and save to this cloud area, as well as to the local hard drive.

For the record, some PS4, PS3, and PS Vita games already used the second method above for cross-save. Earlier games required the user to manually select an option from the menu to save or load the data, but many later games began to do this automatically, without user intervention. I've played lots of games where my progress seamlessly transferred between my PS4 and my PS Vita. You'd expect that this would be a total cinch to implement between PS4 and PS5, considering the similarities in architecture. Instead, this feels like some mysterious lost art of the ancients that needs to be "rediscovered". It's bewildering that Sony didn't make this a standard feature leading into the PS5 release, but better late than never!

Kagey K

Banned
Even if you're only playing on PS4, there's a disconnect between the streamed version and the downloaded version of the game. If you stream the game, your save file goes into PS Now's cloud save area (not PS Plus's cloud save area--there is a difference), but if you download it and play to your PS4, it saves directly to your console's hard drive. If you want to transfer saves between the two, then you have to do so manually, using PS Plus's cloud save area as the go-between. Yes, this means this ability is only available if you have a PS Plus subscription, in addition to PS Now.

It's not a big deal, as most users probably won't be switching frequently between downloading and streaming for a particular game. It's still annoying for those who do, or even for those who initially stream a game once to give it a quick try (to see if they like the game enough to keep playing), and then download it for subsequent play sessions.

I don't own a PS5, but from what I've read, there are similar issues between games using the PS4 file system and the PS5 file system, even within the PS Plus cloud. This seems to be what you're describing above. There are multiple ways that Sony could solve this problem. Here are a couple:
This is one of the many things Xbox got right with Smart Delivery.

I know people thought it was dumb and a buzzword, but it really shows they were forward thinking on their delivery methods, when something so simple just works on one machine and can go so wrong on the other.

Last edited:
Yeap I’m talking Steam only.
On the first days SteamSpy estimate was already over 220k units sold.

But because it was a single player offline game it didn’t entered the concurrent players stats.

Benji made up a claim and you guys were fooled by him.
Why people should trust you ? What proof you got? Lot of other websites reporting same that Outriders biggest Steam launch for SE.

Why would Eurogamer like site will report it if there's no truth to it

Sorry, you can believe what you want but fact is all major websites reporting same, so i go with them

Last edited:

Agent X

This is one of the many things Xbox got right with Smart Delivery.

I know people thought it was dumb and a buzzword, but it really shows they were forward thinking on their delivery methods, when something so simple just works on one machine and can go so wrong on the other.

The funny thing is that Sony has used these techniques in the past. I could be wrong, but I believe there were even certain PS2 games that could read and import saved data from a related PS1 game.

I believe the problem is enforcement. Referring to the two methods I described, Sony simply failed to implement method #1. Method #2 seems to be an available option, but it's apparently left "up to the developer". Why wouldn't a developer use method #2 if it's available? I'm not sure, but maybe there's some difficulty in programming it in, or the developer has to pay some fee for cloud storage from Sony or provide it themselves. Those are just guesses on my part.

Sony needs to work on method #1, and then enforce either one or both of these methods in all future games that have separate PS4 and PS5 versions.

Kagey K

Banned
The funny thing is that Sony has used these techniques in the past. I could be wrong, but I believe there were even certain PS2 games that could read and import saved data from a related PS1 game.

I believe the problem is enforcement. Referring to the two methods I described, Sony simply failed to implement method #1. Method #2 seems to be an available option, but it's apparently left "up to the developer". Why wouldn't a developer use method #2 if it's available? I'm not sure, but maybe there's some difficulty in programming it in, or the developer has to pay some fee for cloud storage from Sony or provide it themselves. Those are just guesses on my part.

Sony needs to work on method #1, and then enforce either one or both of these methods in all future games that have separate PS4 and PS5 versions.
It's a bit late for all that now though.

They really fucked the pooch on all this ps4/ps5 crossplay stuff and it's a bit hard to force devs to go back and change it.

ethomaz

Banned
Why people should trust you ? What proof you got? Lot of other websites reporting same that Outriders biggest Steam launch for SE.

Why would Eurogamer like site will report it if there's no truth to it

Sorry, you can believe what you want but fact is all major websites reporting same, so i go with them

Read again the Eurogamer text please... no Benji bullshit claim.
And you got the wrong PC Gamer site that one is not the major website... it is a site created few weeks ago.

Zoro7

Banned
It’s stupid. These games have a free upgrade to Ps5 and therefore should be available. There is no excuses here.

Greggy

It's long enough for people to finish the campaign and the two expansions. If they want to continue to play the MP mode, then they'll have to buy the game.
Yeah but that is forcing players to schedule their gaming time around Sony's PS Now deal terms. I don't want to be forced to pick up Avengers now because hey, Sony is only giving it to me for the next 12 weeks. I pay a subscription so I can have an all I can eat buffet where I fill my plate in the order and at the rate that I want, not at the one dictated by the service constraints. GP does not even communicate how long a game will be on the service for, understandably so. It would be reinforcing the short rental perception among service users that many use to question the value.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
lebron james basketball GIF by Powerade

PlayStation Now games for April 2021: Marvel’s Avengers, Borderlands 3 and The Long Dark​

Jaysen

Banned
Doesn't downloading a PS4 version of a game that has a PS5 update automatically update it to the PS5 version on a PS5?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Consdiering those games had free upgrades anyway I dont see any reason to now allow the ps5 version. Insane.
PS Now is primarily a streaming service. The server blades are running the actual system hardware and they’d need to be upgraded with PS5 hardware in order to support the system.

XCloud currently only streams on Xbox One S hardware, but MS is in the process of upgrading their server blades with XSX hardware.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
PS Now is primarily a streaming service. The server blades are running the actual system hardware and they’d need to be upgraded with PS5 hardware in order to support the system.

XCloud currently only streams on Xbox One S hardware, but MS is in the process of upgrading their server blades with XSX hardware.
Not really an excuse to not allow the free upgrade for people who download vs stream.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not really an excuse to not allow the free upgrade for people who download vs stream.
Based on how the PS4 handled disc and digital games, it’s probably similar to that.

On the PS4 if you had a disc game installed and then got the digital version (PS+ or buying it) you had to uninstall the disc install and reinstall the digital in order to launch it without the disc in the drive because the system recognized the two as different versions of the game.

It’s likely that PS Now is just a THIRD version of the game and the downloadable executable isn’t eligible for the upgrade as it‘s technically a unique version of the game as far as the system is concerned.

saintjules

Seriously. It's $20 now for a physical. But I speak more for any game really.

I get it if you're not working, but if you're an active gamer, give up the dollas if you want a game. Freeloaders lol

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Based on how the PS4 handled disc and digital games, it’s probably similar to that.

On the PS4 if you had a disc game installed and then got the digital version (PS+ or buying it) you had to uninstall the disc install and reinstall the digital in order to launch it without the disc in the drive because the system recognized the two as different versions of the game.

It’s likely that PS Now is just a THIRD version of the game and the downloadable executable isn’t eligible for the upgrade as it‘s technically a unique version of the game as far as the system is concerned.
Sounds messy but would make sense considering my time with PS store. Since I game share with someone I couldnt even claim R&C on my account since his account was signed in.

Kagey K

Banned
Doesn't downloading a PS4 version of a game that has a PS5 update automatically update it to the PS5 version on a PS5?
No. If you own a PS4 game that has a free PS5 update you have to download the PS5 version manually and if you're not paying attention you can have the ps4 and ps5 versions of the same game installed.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
No. If you own a PS4 game that has a free PS5 update you have to download the PS5 version manually and if you're not paying attention you can have the ps4 and ps5 versions of the same game installed.
That's fucking stupid. But it also explains how I got two versions of Destiny 2

Concern

I think the "buzzword" you're looking for is "smart delivery". Just a buzzword tho.

Ideally that would make sense but I guess they won't let you manually download the Ps5 version if it's through Ps now.

Top Bottom