• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation makes history with record $8.8 billion earnings in Holiday 2022! Holiday 2022 was a history-making quarter for PlayStation.

Dj Khaled Ox GIF

onQ123

Really? Did you read what year is in the thread title at all? it says 2022.

Pay attention! You said Xbox would have prevented PlayStation from a record breaking quarter if they would have released good games I pointed out your BS and said by your logic Hi-Fi Rush should prevent PlayStation from having a record breaking quarter. I'm clearly talking about the quarter that we are in now which will most likely be a record breaker if Sony reach their forecast .

I guess you don't believe your own BS about good Xbox games stopping PlayStation from succeeding.

jzosa

I never did that, I said that they aided in this record, they did, that's objective, a fact. Because they weren't competing, they didn't have the PS5 equal console in production they had no games and delayed them before the holiday season started, and Sony had several, even discounts on games they released earlier in the year, which Xbox didn't have any, because they had no major big releases the whole year of 2022.

S being cheaper, doesn't make people wanting a X or similar speced PS5, all give up and by an S.

So "didn't help" is just you trolling intentionally. The S being discounted is not going to cover a gap of no games for the whole year, no games in the holiday quarter of Starfield/GOWR caliber, low X production, and other factors. No one realistically would believe that either.

And you KNOW this ALREADY because you've been in conversations where this has been discussed, so I'm not sure what you're end goal is here pretending suddenly today, this is all foreign and you don't understand.

Again, Phil and friends handed PS5 the holiday, especially int eh US, where the biggest growth occurred, and the gap widened out of Sony's own mouth,

My initial post BTW, was to someone crediting Jim Ryan, who didn't have to do anything, since all he had to do was just release the games that the studios said they would release them. PS5 production was already improving he didn't need to do anything about that, and the competition had nothing to counter their major titles.
Can't give Sony its props without giving credit to MS/Phil, huh? He handed it to PS5 is just so factually incorrect since Sony made sure they delivered on their promises and addresses their weakness, which was low stock.

The bolded is also so much mind-bending mental gymnastics stuff. You wanna give Phil more credit for SONY's success? But decisions on price increases, etc. are all blamed on Jim Ryan? Why can't he have it both ways? Why can't he be credited for PS success if he is criticized for some negative things attributed to thebrand?

So you're also saying that delays are attributed to the Head of Xbox gaming, but on-time releases are not credited to the leadership of Playstation? That's still Phil?

So this year, if MS releases its games on time and has success, and as some here way, Sony has no first party games other than Spider-Man 2, no credit should be given to Phil, then? CorrecT?

Can't give Sony its props without giving credit to MS/Phil, huh? He handed it to PS5 is just so factually incorrect

So you're saying Xbox posed a challenge?

Guys all those thread ya'll posted in talking about Xbox doom are still in those threads. Everyone knows they were coming into the holiday with problems. Let's not pretend that Xbox didn't contribute to this record, especially in the US, Xbox's strongest market.

The bolded is also so much mind-bending mental gymnastics stuff.

Sony themselves brought about US sales results, nothing mind-bending about it.

I think the problem is you aren't looking at my post you are pretending it says that all PS5 sales during the holidays were because of Phil. instead of the clear point that Phil and friends threw the match and helepd aid in Sony reaching this record, and widening the split.

I mean think about it, you are basically arguing the Xbox should have won or been more competitive with no major releases, and low X production among other problems during the holidays.

How much sense does that make?

Jim Ryan didn't do anything but oversee PS went on schedule with things already promised months before that period, and those things along were instrumental to PS5 sales, including GOW:R. He didn't have to do much for Xbox to shoot themselves in the foot and for them to run with the profits.

Many people in this thread were saying the same stuff in other threads expecting these results (other than the few that though the people who wanted the X or were going to all buy S's) and now are acting like Xbox DIDN'T throw away the holidays? (Granted your a new member so this wouldn't apply to you, but would apply to other users who were in previous threads with the opposite perception)

okayyyyyy

Last edited:
There's a big difference saying gaming made $8.8B earnings in the thread title, while making $8.8B in sales and $820M in earnings.

That's like saying MSFT made $52B in earnings in their last report, when it was really $52B in sales and $16B in earnings/net income. Which is wrong.

They all represent different ways of viewing the business's success, but sales revenue is absolutely earnings. It's simply not credible to not view them as such. I help manage/run a business, multiple in fact. In all those businesses, revenues are treated as earnings. Banks also see it that way.

Revenue doesn't just magically disappear or not mean anything. It's all connected. People tend to ignore or overlook revenue often in the gaming space because of how low the profit margins are. Sony had a strong holiday, but their profit margin was 10.7% for the nearly $8.8 billion in revenue because that's common in the games industry for them to be so low. But you have different aspects of a business with much higher profit or gross margins than others, which makes revenue even more important in those higher margin parts of the business. The revenue that comes in from the sale of games, add-ons, micro-transactions, and services tend to have much higher profit margins even though the raw dollar figures per sale are much smaller than what it costs to buy a PS5.

Rest assured, if Sony's revenues for Playstation weren't as high as they are in the last quarter, it should be fully understood that their profits would have similarly suffered by extension. Revenue is as important a metric as profit because revenue is what ultimately translates to profit after other costs. Do not undersell the importance of revenue people. Revenue can buy and cover expenses, not just whatever is leftover as profit. If Microsoft's overall company revenue were $20 billion instead of the $52.7 billion they just reported last quarter, they wouldn't have achieved $20.4 billion in operating income. Revenue is extremely important. Telling me revenue isn't earnings is akin to saying God of War: Ragnarok's 11 million copies sold don't represent earnings because 100% of the revenue from the game, once plugged into the overall Playstation business, after all expenses didn't translate to 100% profit. In fact, the difference between Sony's Q3 FY2022 results vs their Q3 FY2021 results (which didn't have a God of War: Ragnarok class first-party hit) in profit is just a bit over $100 million more made in Q3 FY2022. So what if God of War did about $150-$200 less in revenue? Sony's Playstation profits would be down year over year. This critical example using God of War's amazing sales performance is why people should not dismiss revenue. It matters.

No buddy, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige is correct. You can't put revenue back to into your business. What you're describing is precisely profit aka earnings. As a Sony Pony, it pains me to correct you in a rare moment where you're giving Sony more credit than they deserve.

Incorrect. I run businesses. It's the revenue that comes in that you don't end up having to put back into costs of goods sold, wages, and other operating expenses that is left over to eventually become your "profit." Revenue (even revenue that doesn't ultimately become profit) can allow you to buy more assets or materials for your business as it's coming in, it can keep money coming in to cover wages, to cover other critical administrative costs, monthly bills to keep the lights on, loan repayments to creditors/banks, and other important expenses. Do not downplay revenue. It's very important.

The percentage of your revenue that can be converted to profit is a key component of gross margin. If you have a decidedly higher profit margin part of your business, such as what software sales, add-ons and micro-transactions are for Sony compared to the hardware sales, then how much revenue you are able to bring in is almost certainly relevant. Not all revenue may translate directly to a profit, but all profit comes from the amount of revenue you're able to generate. In other words, it's viewed very favorably when businesses are able to drive higher and higher revenues, because it implies that a certain stage that will translate to higher profits.

Pay attention! You said Xbox would have prevented PlayStation from a record breaking quarter if they would have released good games

I said they may have done so if they had released the promises holiday major exclusives which were delayed to this year, and had X production ready which they didn't, and we were warned before the holidays the supply wasn't there.

When Sony has substantially more incentives for a buyer to buy a product than the competition, and the competition for the 5th time is doing a "wait til later" approach, during the holiday season the biggest sales season of the year, yes, I would say that contributed greatly to Sony not just reaching this record, but widening the US gap, which is the Xbox's strongest market.

Again, I don't get why users, such as your self, participating in threads regrading Xbox's lack of push the whole year of 2022, not just the last quarter, are not acting like Xbox didn't throw away the quarter to Sony, but hey. At this point I'm just repeating myself so.

The bottom line is Xbox delayed games, didn't have production issues, was criticized the whole year, among other things, while Sony had numerous major titles, bettering production, among other pluses, and basically had most of the 4th quarter to themselves in the home console space.

You go back and forth with him where his point is clear what he wants to say but you want to split hair and argue with him for some reason. In general he is right and you just want to argue with him. So what if he believes that Jim was scratching his balls and he is winning? The general idea of his thoughts are correct but you want to correct the minute detail, let it go.

Yeah it's pretty crystal clear, and these same people were talking the opposite in other threads, so I'm not sure what's different now.

jzosa

So you're saying Xbox posed a challenge?

Guys all those thread ya'll posted in talking about Xbox doom are still in those threads. Everyone knows they were coming into the holiday with problems. Let's not pretend that Xbox didn't contribute to this record, especially in the US, Xbox's strongest market.

Sony themselves brought about US sales results, nothing mind-bending about it.

I mean think about it, you are basically arguing the Xbox should have won or been more competitive with no major releases, and low X production among other problems during the holidays.

How much sense does that make?

Jim Ryan didn't do anything but oversee PS went on schedule with things already promised months before that period, and those things along were instrumental to PS5 sales, including GOW:R. He didn't have to do much for Xbox to shoot themselves in the foot and for them to run with the profits.

Many people in this thread were saying the same stuff in other threads expecting these results (other than the few that though the people who wanted the X or were going to all buy S's) and now are acting like Xbox DIDN'T throw away the holidays? (Granted your a new member so this wouldn't apply to you, but would apply to other users who were in previous threads with the opposite perception)

okayyyyyy
We can say that Xbox didn't pose a threat, and at the same time give Jim Ryan credit. He IS doing a good job. I don't know why those have to be mutually exclusive.

I'm not arguing the bolded. All I am addressing is you saying Jim Ryan shouldn't get credit and that it was MS's doing (not exclusively) that allowed PS do this, when they forecasted this before, I think.

You gotta stop thinking that PS success is always due to or contributed by MS's failures.

onQ123

I said they may have done so if they had released the promises holiday major exclusives which were delayed to this year, and had X production ready which they didn't, and we were warned before the holidays the supply wasn't there.

When Sony has substantially more incentives for a buyer to buy a product than the competition, and the competition for the 5th time is doing a "wait til later" approach, during the holiday season the biggest sales season of the year, yes, I would say that contributed greatly to Sony not just reaching this record, but widening the US gap, which is the Xbox's strongest market.

Again, I don't get why users, such as your self, participating in threads regrading Xbox's lack of push the whole year of 2022, not just the last quarter, are not acting like Xbox didn't throw away the quarter to Sony, but hey. At this point I'm just repeating myself so.

The bottom line is Xbox delayed games, didn't have production issues, was criticized the whole year, among other things, while Sony had numerous major titles, bettering production, among other pluses, and basically had most of the 4th quarter to themselves in the home console space.

To end your BS Xbox wasn't around when PlayStation was the 1st console to reach 100 million .
And before you say something else stupid my point is PlayStation is going to sell whatever it sells on its own & not because Xbox had a bad quarter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They all represent different ways of viewing the business's success, but sales revenue is absolutely earnings. It's simply not credible to not view them as such. I help manage/run a business, multiple in fact. In all those businesses, revenues are treated as earnings. Banks also see it that way.

Revenue doesn't just magically disappear or not mean anything. It's all connected. People tend to ignore or overlook revenue often in the gaming space because of how low the profit margins are. Sony had a strong holiday, but their profit margin was 10.7% for the nearly $8.8 billion in revenue because that's common in the games industry for them to be so low. But you have different aspects of a business with much higher profit or gross margins than others, which makes revenue even more important in those higher margin parts of the business. The revenue that comes in from the sale of games, add-ons, micro-transactions, and services tend to have much higher profit margins even though the raw dollar figures per sale are much smaller than what it costs to buy a PS5.

Rest assured, if Sony's revenues for Playstation weren't as high as they are in the last quarter, it should be fully understood that their profits would have similarly suffered by extension. Revenue is as important a metric as profit because revenue is what ultimately translates to profit after other costs. Do not undersell the importance of revenue people. Revenue can buy and cover expenses, not just whatever is leftover as profit. If Microsoft's overall company revenue were $20 billion instead of the $52.7 billion they just reported last quarter, they wouldn't have achieved $20.4 billion in operating income. Revenue is extremely important. Telling me revenue isn't earnings is akin to saying God of War: Ragnarok's 11 million copies sold don't represent earnings because 100% of the revenue from the game, once plugged into the overall Playstation business, after all expenses didn't translate to 100% profit. In fact, the difference between Sony's Q3 FY2022 results vs their Q3 FY2021 results (which didn't have a God of War: Ragnarok class first-party hit) in profit is just a bit over $100 million more made in Q3 FY2022. So what if God of War did about $150-$200 less in revenue? Sony's Playstation profits would be down year over year. This critical example using God of War's amazing sales performance is why people should not dismiss revenue. It matters.

Incorrect. I run businesses. It's the revenue that comes in that you don't end up having to put back into costs of goods sold, wages, and other operating expenses that is left over to eventually become your "profit." Revenue (even revenue that doesn't ultimately become profit) can allow you to buy more assets or materials for your business as it's coming in, it can keep money coming in to cover wages, to cover other critical administrative costs, monthly bills to keep the lights on, loan repayments to creditors/banks, and other important expenses. Do not downplay revenue. It's very important.

The percentage of your revenue that can be converted to profit is a key component of gross margin. If you have a decidedly higher profit margin part of your business, such as what software sales, add-ons and micro-transactions are for Sony compared to the hardware sales, then how much revenue you are able to bring in is almost certainly relevant. Not all revenue may translate directly to a profit, but all profit comes from the amount of revenue you're able to generate. In other words, it's viewed very favorably when businesses are able to drive higher and higher revenues, because it implies that a certain stage that will translate to higher profits.
You run a business and think revenue is the same as earnings/net income/profit (every company calls it a slightly different term)?

The point is the thread title has a typo which says $8.8B earnings when Sony's own chart in the OP says it's revenue. Later in the OP's post it even says this.

Sony Q3 Fiscal Year 2022 earnings at-a-glance

Revenue - $8.797 billion
Operating Profit - $820 million
Profit Margin - 10.7%
I dont expect people to be good with financials unless some is into numbers, but for you to say you run a business and think revenue is the same as earnings shows youre full of shit.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Incorrect. I run businesses.

No you don't. Sorry, I like you well enough but I'm calling bullshit based on the simple fact that you keep conflating revenue with profit/earnings. I've been in finance and a chartered accountant for over 10 yrs man, you can't bs me on this no matter how many lengthy, fictitious novels you post here. Let this one go. It's for the best.

We can say that Xbox didn't pose a threat, and at the same time give Jim Ryan credit. He IS doing a good job.

He literally did nothing new during the holidays that was different from what was already going to happen. GOW:R was going to happen, the dscounts were already planned on other big 2022 exclusives, anything else related to that quarter was already planned.

The only changing factor was Xbox walking back on what they expected, delaying games to this year, not having a lot of X production, and no timed exclusive to make up for the FP major release gap.

I mean, Jim Ryan was part of the team leading to the record, but let's not pretend Xbox not being competitive didn't contribute to this sale record at all. You're basically arguing this would still happen is Xbox had Starfield, Forza, Redfall, timed stuff, X's in stock with better retail presence (and deals) and that seems slightly unrealistic.

Even you should be aware of the years long disappointment crusade against Xbox leading up to the holiday, and through it. Xbox really hurt themselves in 2022 let's not kid ourself, it was pretty bad.

To end your BS Xbox wasn't around when PlayStation was the 1st console to reach 100 million .

That's nice, this thread is about 2022 holiday sales quarter breaking record, which Sony separately also brought up US sales increases as well as part of that deal, major growth.

PS1 has nothing to do with this conversation. In Xbox's number 1 market they had nothing and Sony had basically everything among major releases etc etc ertc, know need to keep repeating what people here INCLUDING YOU clearly know. What benefit is there to participate in a bunch of threads about Xbox's year and then in this thread pretend they didn't contribute to this number?

You and others already know this is the case the Xbox had a bad year, and holiday quarter which was supposed to make up for it, was also harmed by low production of X and game delays among other things, and that's just the truth, Anything more is gaslighting and there's no need for me to keep repeating to multiple users something they already know from threads they already participated in.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No you don't. Sorry, I like you well enough but I'm calling bullshit based on the simple fact that you keep conflating revenue with profit/earnings. I've been in finance and a chartered accountant for over 10 yrs man, you can't bs me on this no matter how many lengthy, fictitious novels you post here. Let this one go. It's for the best.
Exactly.

I thought he'd just let it go as an internet loss. He got missed up in terminology. Hey, no different than me needing to google the difference between Mb and MB and downloading speeds gbps or GBps or whatever.

But for him to make up shit trying to prove he knows financial terms is a laugh.

Give him credit. It took him about 5 hours to come up with his giant explanation.

Last edited:

Yeah, revenue is key to taking on larger risks. Sony just bought Bungie for 3.6 billion dollars. It's not doing that based just on net income, it's doing that based on revenue, which is a key for understanding future profitability. Seeing where your revenue informs your expenses which results in sustained net operating income, but you have to start out at revenue.

If Sony wanted to buy T2 in response to ABK, it would ask itself if it could absorb the cost with the revenue they foresee for the rest of the generation, T2's revenue and T2's operating cost. You look at Microsoft and they've had layoffs to help trim down their operating costs in line with this acquisition. That's because while Microsoft is bailing out Xbox, it still expects Xbox to operate at a sustainable level.

Top Bottom