• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation makes history with record $8.8 billion earnings in Holiday 2022! Holiday 2022 was a history-making quarter for PlayStation.

Mr Moose

So you're really going to sit here and pretend a whole year of no 2022 games, including promised games of the last 5 months of 2022 being delayed, elaving nothing for that time frame, had nothing to do in some way , to some extent, more people buying PS5's or the AAA exclusives sonye had released or where releasing in that time frame or before, at discounted prices, during the biggest sales quarter of the year, with the most exposure?

While many articles were criticizing Xbox output the whole year, and Phil?

You're really going to pretend you don't understand something you clearly 100% understand? When the US was where the biggest gains were and Sony announced that the gap ended up widening? The strongest market of Xbox?

Sorry Mr Moose, not buying it. Especially given your history in those very discussions.
I better not check your post history and see some High on Life praise... What happened to big 3rd party games like Call of Duty? What happened to Series S big discounts?
PS5 raised their price in most countries.
Phil might suck but come on, big 3rd party games are what drives most console sales and Call of Duty is one of the biggest especially this years.
We're talking world wide here, not just the US.

Last edited:
I better not check your post history and see some High on Life praise... What happened to big 3rd party games like Call of Duty? What happened to Series S big discounts?
PS5 raised their price in most countries.

What does most countries have to do with the US where the biggest gains were leading to this record?

What does COD have to do with Xbox not having big major games because they delayed them all in the biggest sales quarter in Xbox's strongest country?

What do S discounts have to do with low X stock being available?

This situation for XBOX has been a constant since 2013. A whole decade.

Why are you blaming 2022?

Thread title? Is about 2022? The record was for holiday sales?

Last edited:
Where did I compare Hi-fi to them games? You said if Xbox would have released good games it would have prevented PlayStation from getting a record.

Why are you acting like I didn't name the games that were delayed, and what Sony put out that Xbox didn't because those games were delayed?

Why are you comparing Hi-fi rush to Starfield and GOW:R and other big games like that, in a thread about the holiday quarter of 2022, which is also in the thread title? Talking about a January 2023 game?

Mr Moose

What does most countries have to do with the US where the biggest gains were leading to this record?

What does COD have to do with Xbox not having big major games because they delayed them all in the biggest sales quarter in Xbox's strongest country?

What do S discounts have to do with low X stock being available?

Thread title? Is about 2022?
Yes what would the best selling game of the year have to do with console sales... What does Series S stock, which had a big discount on them, have to do with their failing console sales. Surely they'd sell more of those at a discounted price, right? HMM.
Stop being weird, Phil had fuck all to do with PS5s success.

It's expensive business. Now you know they're not actually profiteering.
It’s mad. They’ve literally spent more than the entire market cap of all the biggest Japanese publishers outside of Nintendo and themselves in a single year on expenses.
I’d love a breakdown of where the money went. They literally need each AAA game to do gangbusters at that rate. GOW doing 11 million is basically that profit.

Yes what would the best selling game of the year have to do with console sales

You are making an unintelligent bad faith argument at this point, PS5 also has that same game (COD) and that has nothing to do woth the topic which is the lack of big exclusive titles Xbox delayed out of 2022 that would have contributed to more sales, which didn't happen because they didn't have any because they delayed them to this year, while Sony had several.

That on top of low X production alienates people who don't want an S, and leads some of those to buy a PS5 during the biggest selling season of the year with the most exposure.

The context of what I'm saying is crystal clea,r and based on discussions you participated in you KNOW this, so I have no idea why you're preteending you aren't getting something this simple.

What does Series S stock, which had a big discount on them, have to do with their failing console sales.

I never brought up Series S sales you did, I brought up a lack of Series X sales, which meant only the S was really selling during the holiday 2022 quarter, which has a direct impact on overall Xbox Series Sales, which you KNOW already.

Stop being weird, Phil had fuck all to do with PS5s success.

Xbox not being competitive in it's strongest market where the biggest holiday gains were made has EXACTLY to with Sony reaching this record because it aided them in accomplishing it by having nothing to take or sustain users to Xbox, or to attract new people to Xbox because of a lack of being competitive that quarter. Hence why Sony mentioned several PS5 owners were new who didn't have a PS4.

ProtoByte

It’s mad. They’ve literally spent more than the entire market cap of all the biggest Japanese publishers outside of Nintendo and themselves in a single year on expenses.
I’d love a breakdown of where the money went. They literally need each AAA game to do gangbusters at that rate. GOW doing 11 million is basically that profit.
You can find that stuff looking at the balance sheets. Providing services like PSN have a much higher cost than people think. Early on in the generation, profit margins on the console itself aren't that high either. Also worth mentioning that Ragnarok's sales post-December aren't counted here, and that that game obviously has its own costs that undoubtedly measure to the low 9-figures. Though I don't think all of that counts for one quarter, given that they'd been spending money developing it for multiple years.

onQ123

Why are you acting like I didn't name the games that were delayed, and what Sony put out that Xbox didn't because those games were delayed?

Why are you comparing Hi-fi rush to Starfield and GOW:R and other big games like that, in a thread about the holiday quarter of 2022, which is also in the thread title? Talking about a January 2023 game?
Why don't you think Hi-Fi Rush is good enough?

Mr Moose

You are making an unintelligent bad faith argument at this point, PS5 also has that same game (COD) and that has nothing to do woth the topic which is the lack of big exclusive titles Xbox delayed out of 2022 that would have contributed to more sales, which didn't happen because they didn't have any because they delayed them to this year, while Sony had several.

That on top of low X production alienates people who don't want an S, and leads some of those to buy a PS5 during the biggest selling season of the year with the most exposure.

The context of what I'm saying is crystal clea,r and based on discussions you participated in you KNOW this, so I have no idea why you're preteending you aren't getting something this simple.

I never brought up Series S sales you did, I brought up a lack of Series X sales, which meant only the S was really selling during the holiday 2022 quarter, which has a direct impact on overall Xbox Series Sales, which you KNOW already.

Xbox not being competitive in it's strongest market where the biggest holiday gains were made has EXACTLY to with Sony reaching this record because it aided them in accomplishing it by having nothing to take or sustain users to Xbox, or to attract new people to Xbox because of a lack of being competitive that quarter. Hence why Sony mentioned several PS5 owners were new who didn't have a PS4.
I'm sorry, I have seen the error of my ways. We should nominate Phil for a new award "Giving PlayStation 5 a chance 2022".
if Xbox had games this quarter it would have taken sales, sold more, and it wouldn't have been as lopsided, preventing this record. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

Phil basically gave jim ryan the whole quarter outside whatever he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock.

I'm diminishing Sony's success by saying they were successful in part to Xbox not doing better? FTC? What are you talking about?

Sony broke a record, there's no diminishing, the only thing being criticized is Xbox.
Yes you did.

Last edited:

I mean you're looking at operating costs of manufacturing and distributing PS5s and PSVR2s, you also have a number of acquisitions, primarily that of Bungie. You also have high operating costs associated with a number of studios making games that have yet to be released.

Games don't make money until they are released, but they continue to cost money. Think about how many studios sony has and the games they have announced but also that haven't even announced their games.

Sony is really starting to build a more expensive operating unit with their incorporation of support studios. These studios are going to be largely staffed all times rather than the dips and dives you see at main studios based on when games are in development.

onQ123

Probably R&D for PSVR2 , Edge Controller & PS5 Slim

No. Series S, which counts towards all Series sales was very much in stock at a reduced price which you said so yourself, they had big multiplat games such as Call of Duty WWII which sold a shit load more than last years CoD. Phil had fuck all to do with Sony's success.
He does not say that Phil has anything to do with Sony success or failure. He says in clear English that if Xbox had not delayed their big games it would not be so easy for playstation to make this landslide win because there would be a battle for our playing time (and money) and it seems you try very hard to not understand it on purpose.

Sw0pDiller

HiFi rush might be a fun game and all but everybody knows the only reason this game got that many attention and praise on the webz was because of the suprise launch. A launch that was desperatly needed to take the eyes away from the lackluster performance of MS game studios and all the delays. if that game just would launch on GP like any other game, we would not have heard of it the way it did. Still a fun game but it cannot erase the pain of owning a series console on it's own.

Great numbers for Sony and PS. well deserved IMO, they are knocking it out of the park with great games support and offcours their own output. PS5 is a gem, and a worthy successor for the mighty PS4. this year, with FF16, spiderman 2 and whatever the have in stock will push those numbers even further. i still have to play Horizon 2 and GoW:R, i just dont got the time to play all these gems they are pushing out. they even might get me to triple dip with TLOU with this HBO serie being that great.

Mr Moose

He does not say that Phil has anything to do with Sony success or failure. He says in clear English that if Xbox had not delayed their big games it would not be so easy for playstation to make this landslide win because there would be a battle for our playing time (and money) and it seems you try very hard to not understand it on purpose.
Jim Ryan didn't really do anything things just happened.

All Phil had to do was release some games in the last 5 months of the year, and he delayed all 4 of what were expected to release in that period. Also no better X production.

Basically just gave Jim the entire 4-course meal for free.
Yes, clearly.

That's not their money. They have to give it back to Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Take2, Square etc.
They keep 30% of it and 100% of their own games. I’m just surprised they are only making about 10% profit on a model that is increasingly not selling physical items with a closed garden model.

Yes, clearly.
You go back and forth with him where his point is clear what he wants to say but you want to split hair and argue with him for some reason. In general he is right and you just want to argue with him. So what if he believes that Jim was scratching his balls and he is winning? The general idea of his thoughts are correct but you want to correct the minute detail, let it go.

Mr Moose

You go back and forth with him where his point is clear what he wants to say but you want to split hair and argue with him for some reason. In general he is right and you just want to argue with him. So what if he believes that Jim was scratching his balls and he is winning? The general idea of his thoughts are correct but you want to correct the minute detail, let it go.
I actually hate arguing because it generally leads nowhere. Though sometimes it is fun.
I never brought up Series S sales you did
Phil basically gave jim ryan the whole quarter outside whatever he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock.
Like here.
He is right Xbox sold like shit and gave PS5 a chance?

At this point i don't even know anymore what "big" games do they have besides Starfield? witch can be a utter mess @ launch with Besthesda and all...
If you ask me, after Starfield there would be one more year of nothing because whoever manage this company he likes to Tweet and do interviews instead of performing his job but also Nutella does not pull his string at all. But there would be time that this can't continue.

Really? Did you read what year is in the thread title at all? it says 2022.

I'm sorry, I have seen the error of my ways. We should nominate Phil for a new award "Giving PlayStation 5 a chance 2022".

I never said this and you know it.

I actually hate arguing because it generally leads nowhere. Though sometimes it is fun.

Like here. "Phil basically gave jim ryan the whole quarter outside whatever he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock."
He is right Xbox sold like shit and gave PS5 a chance?
Yes you did. "Phil basically gave jim ryan the whole quarter outside whatever he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock."

The "he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock." is the part you constantly keep omitting from your repsonses because it destroys your argument, and ignores the point i was referring to the X not having enough production, so he has to "salvage" XBS sales with S discounts.

You aren't even trying at this point.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Really? Did you read what year is in the thread title at all? it says 2022.

I never said this and you know it.

The "he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock." is the part you constantly keep omitting from your repsonses because it destroys your argument, and ignores the point i was referring to the X not having enough production, so he has to "salvage" XBS sales with S discounts.

You aren't even trying at this point.
You know Series S counts towards ALL Series console sales, baka. They lost, end of discussion. Phil had nothing to do with PS5 sales.

You know Series S counts towards ALL Series console sales, baka.

You do realize that X also counts towards ALL Series consoles sales baka? Therefore, less of that means LESS sales for XBS, and MORE dependence on price reducing the S to make up for the gap they can't make up because not EVERYONE who would want an X wants an S?

it's amazing how you're fantasizing so hard you are literally pretending you aren't getting this simple point that lack of X hurts XBS sales overall. Meanwhile the PS5 takes that spot.

Whatever would Sony do without COD? /joke

Always good to see gaming fans getting more of what they want. Respect to Sony for knowing their fans and delivering.

Mr Moose

You do realize that X also counts towards ALL Series consoles sales baka? Therefore, less of that means LESS sales for XBS, and MORE dependence on price reducing the S to make up for the gap they can't make up because not EVERYONE who would want an X wants an S?

it's amazing how you're fantasizing so hard you are literally pretending you aren't getting this simple point that lack of X hurts XBS sales overall. Meanwhile the PS5 takes that spot.
We are going around in circles. Series S was cheaper than it has ever been and still didn't help. We are not giving Phil credit for PS5s success.

If you ask me, after Starfield there would be one more year of nothing because whoever manage this company he likes to Tweet and do interviews instead of performing his job but also Nutella does not pull his string at all. But there would be time that this can't continue.

Original IP are rarely system sellers.

Every once and a while you get an original IP that sells gangbusters, like Elden Ring, but Elden Ring wasn't exclusive, it was available on all platforms and that was part of why it was so successful.

I don't think Starfield, particularly being an RPG and an original IP is going to move a number of units, which isn't to say it'll perform poorly, but it is up against a certified system seller in Spider-Man 2.

No kid is going to ask their parents for an Xbox this Christmas for Starfield, they're going to ask for Spider-Man 2.

Microsoft is going to need a massive advertising campaign even to get real penetration for Starfield and the game also has to be a certified hit.

Spider-Man 2 could be a system seller and have an average of an 80 on metacritic. Starfield is going to need to be a 90+.

Hey at least they are not bleeding money and hiding it. My business sense tells me 10% is better than -30%.
Sony is in a really good position, it's also a precarious one. I think it's pretty clear that no matter what happens now they're going to expand their market share this generation against the last one. That boat has left the harbor.

The question is by how much and with how much damage to the Xbox brand. My guess is when all is said and done the XSX/S will have sold between 25-35 million units, with a stretch goal of 40 million.

I don't think that will be enough for Microsoft to warrant a successor.

If that is the case Sony needs to think about their next steps.

Original IP are rarely system sellers.

Every once and a while you get an original IP that sells gangbusters, like Elden Ring, but Elden Ring wasn't exclusive, it was available on all platforms and that was part of why it was so successful.

I don't think Starfield, particularly being an RPG and an original IP is going to move a number of units, which isn't to say it'll perform poorly, but it is up against a certified system seller in Spider-Man 2.

No kid is going to ask their parents for an Xbox this Christmas for Starfield, they're going to ask for Spider-Man 2.

Microsoft is going to need a massive advertising campaign even to get real penetration for Starfield and the game also has to be a certified hit.

Spider-Man 2 could be a system seller and have an average of an 80 on metacritic. Starfield is going to need to be a 90+.

Pedro Motta

What are you talking about?
Simple maths.

Sony is in a really good position, it's also a precarious one. I think it's pretty clear that no matter what happens now they're going to expand their market share this generation against the last one. That boat has left the harbor.

The question is by how much and with how much damage to the Xbox brand. My guess is when all is said and done the XSX/S will have sold between 25-35 million units, with a stretch goal of 40 million.

I don't think that will be enough for Microsoft to warrant a successor.

If that is the case Sony needs to think about their next steps.
Sony is investing a lot into R&D, new controllers, PSVR2, lots new software and development for that platform, we already had 2 revisions of the PS5 with (supposedly) a new SKU's coming out this year PS5 Slim + External Drive.

We are going around in circles. Series S was cheaper than it has ever been and still didn't help. We are not giving Phil credit for PS5s success.

I never did that, I said that they aided in this record, they did, that's objective, a fact. Because they weren't competing, they didn't have the PS5 equal console in production they had no games and delayed them before the holiday season started, and Sony had several, even discounts on games they released earlier in the year, which Xbox didn't have any, because they had no major big releases the whole year of 2022.

S being cheaper, doesn't make people wanting a X or similar speced PS5, all give up and by an S.

So "didn't help" is just you trolling intentionally. The S being discounted is not going to cover a gap of no games for the whole year, no games in the holiday quarter of Starfield/GOWR caliber, low X production, and other factors. No one realistically would believe that either.

And you KNOW this ALREADY because you've been in conversations where this has been discussed, so I'm not sure what you're end goal is here pretending suddenly today, this is all foreign and you don't understand.

Again, Phil and friends handed PS5 the holiday, especially int eh US, where the biggest growth occurred, and the gap widened out of Sony's own mouth,

My initial post BTW, was to someone crediting Jim Ryan, who didn't have to do anything, since all he had to do was just release the games that the studios said they would release them. PS5 production was already improving he didn't need to do anything about that, and the competition had nothing to counter their major titles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom