• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation makes history with record $8.8 billion earnings in Holiday 2022! Holiday 2022 was a history-making quarter for PlayStation.

That he's got it easy while Phil has a mess to deal with?

You mean the mess Phil caused himself, along with the mess he put himself into with false promises he constantly does not deliver on which wouldn't be so bad if he said nothing?

If you read the thread, you'll see people saying Jim was "redeemed" because of this thread, all I said was he didn't have to do anything because Phil and friends basically gave him the quarter for free.

laynelane

Jim Ryan didn't really do anything things just happened.

All Phil had to do was release some games in the last 5 months of the year, and he delayed all 4 of what were expected to release in that period. Also no better X production.

Basically just gave Jim the entire 4-course meal for free.

So, Phil has the power to make Xbox do poorly and make Sony successful? At the same time? He really can do everything, can't he? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

So, Phil has the power to make Xbox do poorly and make Sony successful? At the same time? He really can do everything, can't he? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Don't play dumb, you know exactly what I was saying which was that Phil being weak aided in Sonys earnings success because they basically didn't have to compete with anything.

Any games that could have slowed or taken sales were delayed until this year.

Last edited:
That amount of profit on such huge earnings is quite something. Considering their network offerings are basically taking a cut of everything and essentially selling ‘nothing’ I was expecting profit to be much higher. What the hell did they spend $7billion on?

laynelane

Don't play dumb, you know exactly what I was saying which was that Phil being weak aided in Sonys earnings success because they basically didn't have to compete with anything.

Any games that could have slowed or taken sales were delayed until this year.

I'm not playing dumb. I'm being sarcastic because what you're saying is ridiculous. Sony's success is due to consistently making decisions that appeal to customers - in hardware, services, and games. They also have world wide appeal which they have cultivated through strategy and quality of products.

Your sour grapes about X-Box is transparent as is the other comments about the FTC. How about you make a post about how X-Box can do better instead of transparently trying to diminish Sony's success?

Last edited:

Deerock71

is this potato cheaper or more expensive?
Oh...Switch was supposed to be swept under the rug with the launch of the PS5 and XSX/S. Two years into these behemoths' launches, Switch be like:
Remember Me Hello GIF by NETFLIX

I'm not playing dumb. I'm being sarcastic because what you're saying is ridiculous.

if Xbox had games this quarter it would have taken sales, sold more, and it wouldn't have been as lopsided, preventing this record. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

Phil basically gave jim ryan the whole quarter outside whatever he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock.

Your sour grapes about X-Box is transparent as is the other comments about the FTC. How about you make a post about how X-Box can do better instead of transparently trying to diminish Sony's success?

I'm diminishing Sony's success by saying they were successful in part to Xbox not doing better? FTC? What are you talking about?

Sony broke a record, there's no diminishing, the only thing being criticized is Xbox.

laynelane

if Xbox had games this quarter it would have taken sales, sold more, and it wouldn't have been as lopsided, preventing this record. There's nothing ridiculous about it.

Phil basically gave jim ryan the whole quarter outside whatever he was able to salvage by having massive S discounts in place of low X stock.

I'm diminishing Sony's success by saying they were successful in part to Xbox not doing better? FTC? What are you talking about?

Sony broke a record, there's no diminishing, the only thing being criticized is Xbox.

You have no proof or real cause to believe that XBox has or would have had any relevancy to Sony's success. And, yes, by saying Sony broke a record because MS didn't release any games in the same period and "gave" Jim Ryan the whole quarter - you are attempting to downplay Sony's success.

You have no proof or real cause to believe that XBox has or would have had any relevancy to Sony's success. And, yes, by saying Sony broke a record because MS didn't release any games in the same period and "gave" Jim Ryan the whole quarter - you are attempting to downplay Sony's success.
People are in denial.

The PlayStation brand is stronger than ever, in large part due to Sony's excellent 1st party output last-gen.

We've had multiple reports stating PS5 is the most-wanted current-gen console, the thirst is real.

Now that Sony is also targeting a broader audience with HBO's TLOU and the upcoming Horizon and GOW series, the Playstation brand will only expand.

There really is very little MS can do at this point. Not even major releases will make a noteworthy difference.

Basically, Xbox is irrelevant in general.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lol when I saw 8 billion in earnings over 3 months I knew there was a disconnect somewhere. Still, 8 billion in revenue is great performance for the gaming division; cost of sales and low margin clearly due to massive increase in hardware sales which isn't such a bad thing.

Fantastic numbers. But then this was obvious. Playstation is strong. They're not the market leader for nothing.

Revenue, not earnings.

Revenues are earnings because revenue isn't somehow useless or a throwaway item. Revenue can be put back to work for your business, it can buy, cover costs. It can get your business bank loans. Revenue absolutely = earnings. Operating income, which is what you're left with after deducting operating expenses, costs of goods solds, wages isn't the only thing that mattters.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Revenues are earnings because revenue isn't somehow useless or a throwaway item. Revenue can be put back to work for your business, it can buy, cover costs. It can get your business bank loans. Revenue absolutely = earnings. Operating income, which is what you're left with after deducting operating expenses, costs of goods solds, wages isn't the only thing that mattters.
Revenue - $8.797 billion
Operating Profit - $820 million
Profit Margin - 10.7%
There's a big difference saying gaming made $8.8B earnings in the thread title, while making $8.8B in sales and $820M in earnings.

That's like saying MSFT made $52B in earnings in their last report, when it was really $52B in sales and $16B in earnings/net income. Which is wrong.

Last edited:

laynelane

People are in denial.

The PlayStation brand is stronger than ever, in large part due to Sony's excellent 1st party output last-gen.

We've had multiple reports stating PS5 is the most-wanted current-gen console, the thirst is real.

Now that Sony is also targeting a broader audience with HBO's TLOU and the upcoming Horizon and GOW series, the Playstation brand will only expand.

There really is very little MS can do at this point. Not even major releases will make a noteworthy difference.

Basically, Xbox is irrelevant in general.

I definitely agree about their strategy of targeting a broader audience through the HBO series. If TLoU continues to do well and the future shows do too, I suspect that will significantly add to PS' ecosystem. On a side note, when I started playing games decades ago they were such a niche product. It's wild to see how far things have come but it's also great to see.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Fantastic numbers. But then this was obvious. Playstation is strong. They're not the market leader for nothing.

No buddy, StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige is correct. You can't put revenue back to into your business. What you're describing is precisely profit aka earnings. As a Sony Pony, it pains me to correct you in a rare moment where you're giving Sony more credit than they deserve.

Sony breezing through another generation. They make it look easy everytime. Even when xbox has gamepass and a cheaper model selling for under $200 during the holidays, they still can't make a dent on PlayStation.

It's why Microsoft are acting much more desperately recently. They are fighting to keep xbox around at this point. I feel like it's Microsoft trying one last thing before throwing in the towel and becoming a 3rd party publisher themselves. That would suit them better than continuing to make hardware that gets outsold 2 to 1. They can make more money selling games on other platforms. Platforms that reach more of the mass market than their own.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

How on Earth would you know this? So this wouldn't have happened if Xbox had more stock of Series X and a game? What happened to High on Life? Did CoD not do well on Series X?

How on Earth would you know this?

So you're questing that if Xbox had games in the last quarter of the most important sales and marketing period of the year, they wouldn't have improved their sales and wouldn't have possibly prevented Sony from having this record by incentivizing games on the fence or who were in patience to get an Xbox over the PS5 in Xbox's strongest markets?

I mean ok fair enough, that seems wacky to me though.

What happened to High on Life? Did CoD not do well on Series X?

High on Life was selling boat loads of Series X's, because it wasn't a console mover to that extent and there weren't many Series X produced during that quarter.

You do realize if they had Forza, Starfield, Redfall etc, in the last 4-5 months of the year, their performance would have been radically different right?

Mr Moose

So you're questing that if Xbox had games in the last quarter of the most important sales and marketing period of the year, they wouldn't have improved their sales and wouldn't have possibly prevented Sony from having this record by incentivizing games on the fence or who were in patience to get an Xbox over the PS5 in Xbox's strongest markets?

I mean ok fair enough, that seems wacky to me though.

High on Life was selling boat loads of Series X's, because it wasn't a console mover to that extent and there weren't many Series X produced during that quarter.

You do realize if they had Forza, Starfield, Redfall etc, in the last 4-5 months of the year, their performance would have been radically different right?
No. Series S, which counts towards all Series sales was very much in stock at a reduced price which you said so yourself, they had big multiplat games such as Call of Duty WWII which sold a shit load more than last years CoD. Phil had fuck all to do with Sony's success.

onQ123

By this logic PS5 shouldn't sell as much this quarter because Hi-Fi Rush was released

No. Series S, which counts towards all Series sales was very much in stock at a reduced price which you said so yourself,

Which has nothing to do with the lack of Series X that weren't produced, so not getting your point.

Lack of X harmed overall sales. Lack of big games delayed until 2023 from 2022 also hurt xbox sales, and gave reason to get a PS5 instead, or to buy those games instead, since they were actually released..

By this logic PS5 shouldn't sell as much this quarter because Hi-Fi Rush was released

Why are you comparing Hi-fi rush to Forza, Starfield, and GOW:R in the biggest selling quarter in gaming with the most exposure and marketing?

Why are you pretending you don't understand what happened?

Mr Moose

Which has nothing to do with the lack of Series X that weren't produced, so not getting your point.

Lack of X harmed overall sales. Lack of big games delayed until 2023 from 2022 also hurt xbox sales, and gave reason to get a PS5 instead, or to buy those games instead, since they were actually released..

Why are you comparing Hi-fi rush to Forza, Starfield, and GOW:R in the biggest selling quarter in gaming with the most exposure and marketing?

Or the PS5 is just more attractive than Xbox regardless... That can't be it, right?

Or the PS5 is just more attractive than Xbox regardless... That can't be it, right?

So you're really going to sit here and pretend a whole year of no 2022 games, including promised games of the last 5 months of 2022 being delayed, elaving nothing for that time frame, had nothing to do in some way , to some extent, more people buying PS5's or the AAA exclusives sonye had released or where releasing in that time frame or before, at discounted prices, during the biggest sales quarter of the year, with the most exposure?

While many articles were criticizing Xbox output the whole year, and Phil?

You're really going to pretend you don't understand something you clearly 100% understand? When the US was where the biggest gains were and Sony announced that the gap ended up widening? The strongest market of Xbox?

Sorry Mr Moose, not buying it. Especially given your history in those very discussions.

Last edited:

onQ123

Where did I compare Hi-fi to them games? You said if Xbox would have released good games it would have prevented PlayStation from getting a record.

Are you saying that Hi-Fi Rush isn't a good game? 🙄

Top Bottom