• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Jim Ryan wants people to know he doesn’t hate old games

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, did you notice how he never actually answered my question? Just a bunch of deflection. Same with DarkMage, CatLady and all the other angry Xboys. Deep down they know they are full of shit.
No need to get angry and sling insults.

You never answered questions either why Sony played cloak and dagger not being straight up with gamers saying games are cross gen.

End of day Jim Ryan badmouthed old GT games, said we believe in generations, and Sony purposely delayed telling gamers lots of games are cross gen. Even going so far as to saying GT7 is "a PS5 exclusive" in a Dec 7 2020 games video.

And both Ragnarok and GT7 were announced cross gen a full year after their summer 2020 show where they tried to make it sound like all these games are PS5 only. In which Sackboy, Spiderman MM, Horizon 2, Ragnarok and GT7 are all not.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No need to get angry and sling insults.

You never answered questions either why Sony played cloak and dagger not being straight up with gamers saying games are cross gen.

End of day Jim Ryan badmouthed old GT games, said we believe in generations, and Sony purposely delayed telling gamers lots of games are cross gen. Even going so far as to saying GT7 is "a PS5 exclusive" in a Dec 7 2020 games video.

And both Ragnarok and GT7 were announced cross gen a full year after their summer 2020 show where they tried to make it sound like all these games are PS5 only. In which Sackboy, Spiderman MM, Horizon 2, Ragnarok and GT7 are all not.
I don't care that they are cross-gen. It doesn't change anything for me and I don't see the big deal. PS4 players are happy about it. The question is why do you care so much? You're fighting for what exactly? You think people got tricked into buying a PS5 or something? Maybe if they knew they would have bought a Xbox instead. Is that it?

You keep going non-stop about that damn logo in the GT7 trailer. Plans changed, so what? If someone got a PS5 in 2020 because they thought GT7 would be exclusive in 22/23 (lol) then sell it for profit and move on. The dramatics. There's plenty of reasons and exclusives already in 2021.

The most angry about cross-gen are Xbox fans. That's how I know it's not genuine. You read the full quote. He never said there would be no more PS4 games but that's how it was reported.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
What case do i have to buy a ps5, if the exclusives come out on PC and there is Crossgen?

Jim Ryan is the worst thing that has happened to Playstation as a brand, a disaster at the launch of ps5 ....

With medium quality games, except for Ratchet and Clank.

A president who does not listen to customers.

He intended to close psn store of Ps3, vita and psp.

Destroyed Japan studio.

I cursed at the time the day he was president and nobody believed me.

Javthusiast

Banned
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

AGRacing

Gold Member
I think the big issue with PS3 is that they might have to pay nvidia money to do that....? Most of you already know the graphics chip in PS3 was an Nvidia chip... they aren't the type to put out that cash and then just let you put the PS3 disc in. I think they've proven that by selling you the same PS2 game 3 times.

But PS1 and PS2 should just work. It's ridiculous that it doesn't.

ksdixon

Prove it, bitch.
Where's PS backwards compatsbility?
Where's PSN 2.0 / PSNow 2.0?
Still planning to kill the PS3/VITA PStores down the line, yeah?

Ryan's done so much to fudge messaging and dampen hype. It's a bloody good thing Sony can coast on PS4 momentum, isn't it.

Goalus

If Sony is going to continue PS Now they HAVE to get a good working PS3 emulator because those PS3 Cell server blades won't last forever and IBM is no longer producing the chips.
They could simply remove all PS3 games from Psnow.
It's an easy solution.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Remember when your hear someone old saying that they're not homophobic, then he or she says a big fat "but"? Same energy

SaucyJack

I find things like this incredibly odd. It's like how games can be withdrawn from sale because ... reasons.

The game's been finished and made available for sale. Why not just keep it on sale and keep collecting the income?

What are these "licensing issues"? Surely those were already negotiated prior to the game's release? Strikes me as so bizarre that these things have an expiry date attached.

Licensing issues are mostly in relation to music, soundtracks. It depends on what licenses were issued, for what period, etc. This is way more complicated than you can imagine.

The video game industry has changed too. PS1 and PS2 games, in particular, were predominantly physical formats. There wasn't the consideration that those games may live on beyond the life of the physical console and it’s media, there wasn't the need to licenses in perpetuity - which would have been more expensive. Now we have digital games, backwards compatibility, streaming. The 20+ year old licensing agreements did not consider these changes

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It seemed to be a big deal when Xbox announced that games were going to be cross-gen for a certain period of time.
Only cross generation games supporting a console with a lower baseline than even PS4 vs some cross generation and some exclusive games (look at first party games launched on both platforms so far).

MaKTaiL

I would love to be able to play PS3 games on PS5. I have a huge backlog on my account that I didn't get to play because I sold my PS3 to get a PS4 at the time.

Shmunter

I would love to be able to play PS3 games on PS5. I have a huge backlog on my account that I didn't get to play because I sold my PS3 to get a PS4 at the time.
The fact that Sony was about to cancel the PS3 store indicates there is unfortunately no future for PS3 games on PS5 or the future. Unless they change their direction on a dime, unlikely for a behemoth.

Last edited:

Duchess

Licensing issues are mostly in relation to music, soundtracks. It depends on what licenses were issued, for what period, etc. This is way more complicated than you can imagine.
You have to agree it is weird how this doesn't affect the film and TV industry.

Imagine if movies made in the 90s were suddenly being removed from sale, streaming platforms, etc. because it features a song to which the rights have expired.

Maybe it's because the game features the entire song?

PS1 compatibility would be SO FUCKING EASY to do... like SO EASY... ridiculously easy... a tiny super cheap throwaway chip can emulate PS1 at 4x resolution no problem (talking about Raspberry Pie 3 for example)
even PS2 compatibility should be no issue for at least the 700 games that already run pretty much perfectly on a modded PS4 using THEIR EXISTING IN-HOUSE EMULATOR
I think that the PS4 drive cannot read music CDs (or CDs in general), I'm fairly sure that the laser in the PS5's drive does not do it either.

That being said, if they were to push simple image enhancements like what we see in DuckDuck go (things that don't require developers involvement) and made PS1 games available for download at an affordable price. This would be much more interesting than requiring someone to go in and tack on trophies for each game before they are pulled into the store, like they do with PS2 titles at the moment.

Also, given how free emulation is going, I'm fairly sure that PS3 games could be emulated in some manner on the PS5, even if they have to verify performance for each of them before they can be published again (Sony could give us access to our PS3 downloads while they are at the PR war).

I believe that if they cared enough to do PS3 backwards compatibility, they could. If anybody could emulate it, it'd be the damned creators.

Hell, if for some reason they needed help, contract out those PCXS3 guys or whoever they are.

well you can play PS3 on a somewhat decent PC using a fan made emulator... Sony could easily emulate PS3 on the PS5 if they wanted to invest in it.

edit: here is MGS4 running on a low end PC at 30fps

edit 2: here is it running side by side with the PS3 version on a mid range PC that has a decent CPU

the PC runs the game at about 4x resolution (1440p) as well here on a mid range GPU (GTX1070). notice how it can reach more than 200% performance on PC compared to PS3 at 4x resolution on an emulator that a few people who aren't affiliated with Sony worked on

Even Ryzen APUs can emulate the PS3 these days.

assurdum

Banned
Waiting for people to defend him saying we took what he has been saying out of context
Well he was attacked continually even by the playstation fans. There was an online petition to fire him. Not sure where you see all those people defend him.

Last edited:

ksdixon

You expect the ability to play ROMs? Lmao.

They spent the whole PS3 gen trying to get PS1 games relicensed for digital distribution and probably got 100 at best, most of which weren't worth the effort. Not sure what you think has changed since then.
So go buy capcom, squareeenix and konami then, now you own several PS mascots and you don't need to pay liscenses. Or you shuffle money around the same sony parent company to liscense from yourself. Those Neflix animes by Capcom and SE become Sony Pictures/PS joints, since Sony want to control all anime. Pull your finger out your arse and get moving on the RE, FF, TR GGI or live action films again. Use the characters for theme park mascots and rides. Throw them into a PS AllStars Battle Royal 2. Throw the games up onto PSNow, wrap them in the PS1/PS2/PSP emulator like Parapper The Rapper and re-sell on the PStore itself.

There's so many ways you can monetize things later, and give people what they want. Just fucking do it. Or are Bluepoint and Housemarquee going to be this gen's missed opportunities like Ready At Dawn, SuperMassive and Quantic Dream? Is MS gonna buy whomever tomorrow, and fuck up any possibility of Sony to respond?

ksdixon

I don't care that they are cross-gen. It doesn't change anything for me and I don't see the big deal. PS4 players are happy about it. The question is why do you care so much? You're fighting for what exactly? You think people got tricked into buying a PS5 or something? Maybe if they knew they would have bought a Xbox instead. Is that it?

You keep going non-stop about that damn logo in the GT7 trailer. Plans changed, so what? If someone got a PS5 in 2020 because they thought GT7 would be exclusive in 22/23 (lol) then sell it for profit and move on. The dramatics. There's plenty of reasons and exclusives already in 2021.

The most angry about cross-gen are Xbox fans. That's how I know it's not genuine. You read the full quote. He never said there would be no more PS4 games but that's how it was reported.
Bro, are you twisted or what?

People are complaining about some business man outright being antagonistic to what they as fans of the platform want. You cant stand there and downplay BC when your competition is staying afloat with a new machine basically dependant on just BC catalouge(s). Nobody likes being lied to their face, they feel cheated. People want to feel like their PS5 purchase was ''worth it''. Not have a steady stream of disppointments "well, this dashbaord sucks, why isn't there themes and folders?", "well, this game is PS4 cross gen too, huh? Maan I could have spent £70 and not £70 + £500", "PS4 also? I guess it won't be using any of those advanced features of PS5 to it's fullest extent, other than the bog-standard of running games on newer hardware, like load time improvements. nothing in the game itself is designed around PS5's benefits", "So you pass on Kojima's horror IP, but promote shite like Destruction AllStars? This you, Lyin' Jim Ryan?". Jim Ryan's dumbass comments is the only reason I own a XBSX alongside PS5.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The big deal is Sony lied about lots of things regarding this.

While Microsoft said they would be cross gen, they got mocked by people in her because Sony only cared about the future.

People were told that godfall and some exclusive game could only run on ps5 because of the I/O. Yet they got released on ps4.

People may have rushed out to get a ps5 because they want the newest games. You might not see the big deal, but when a very hardcore fan base gets told that these games are technically better than the previous gens, and therefore you need a ps5, they are rightfully so to get pissed.

So yeah, people kinda got tricked into buying a ps5. Doesn't mean they would get an Xbox instead, but it means that maybe they didn't have to rush out to buy the new generation.

Also, makes some people in here look like a fool when making fun of Xbox supporting cross gen when papa Ryan said they would only focus next gen.
People know who they are.

wvnative

You have to agree it is weird how this doesn't affect the film and TV industry.

Imagine if movies made in the 90s were suddenly being removed from sale, streaming platforms, etc. because it features a song to which the rights have expired.

Maybe it's because the game features the entire song?

It absolutely affects film and TV. Many reruns of old shows on cable will swap music out from the original episode, and fresh prince streaming and DVD releases took YEARS to sort out because of music rights, just as one example.

yurinka

Stfu , Jim
stfu or sifu?

I’d much rather hear about the Motorsport. Can’t wait for that game on Series X and PC.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Forza Motorsport will be a 2023 GOTY contender.

I find things like this incredibly odd. It's like how games can be withdrawn from sale because ... reasons.

The game's been finished and made available for sale. Why not just keep it on sale and keep collecting the income?

What are these "licensing issues"? Surely those were already negotiated prior to the game's release? Strikes me as so bizarre that these things have an expiry date attached.
Publishers sign a deal to publish a game on a platform with the platform holder. This needs to be signed again if rereleased on other platforms.

Publishers have a deal with some workers, licensed musics, sound effects, images, font types for the texts, brands of cars, guns, or even sports players who appear in a game that needs to be updated when re-releassing them somewhere else. Sometimes the creator of the brand or some other random guy has also to update the deal.

Even if all this is ready and the company owns everything, then to re-release a game on a new platform they need to submit for certification and to age rating systems for each region and fix possible bugs that may appear. They may not have the original source code or even the workers who did the game.

And all these things cost time and money for something that almost nobody will buy.

In fact the publisher, or IP owner of the game, or whoever out of all these guys who have to give their ok nay have shut down without selling their rights to someone else. The individuals even may have retired, quit gaming or even died.

Then prove it by making ps5 full ps123/psp/vita BC.
No MSX, Pocket Station, and Sony games for Java mobile phones BC? You must hate Sony and videogames, for sure.

That will at least explain all of the nonsensical decisions since he took the lead.
Sure, they are so nonsensical that Sony is now performing better than any other console platform holder performed in gaming history.

Sony are sat on a goldmine of classic games from previous consoles. I'm sure people would buy classic games from the PS1,2,3 era if they were available on the PS Store. Sounds like easy money
This is the reason of why most of the most popular PS1, 2, 3 games already are available on the PS Store. Some of them remastered, some of them remade, some of them as PS2 Classics, some of them originally released as crossgen games, some of them included in compilations.

Last edited:

Duchess

It absolutely affects film and TV. Many reruns of old shows on cable will swap music out from the original episode, and fresh prince streaming and DVD releases took YEARS to sort out because of music rights, just as one example.
Ha, never knew that.

Ev1L AuRoN

If Sony really wants it, PS5 has the horsepower to emulate the entire PlayStation history. I should be pissed about it, but fortunately the community got me covered. PS1, PS2, PSP and now PS3 emulators are getting better and better, PS Vita is the one still missing.

Top Bottom