• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Is Putting $300 Million More Into First-Party Games, and Aiming for 'Multiple Platforms'

PhaseJump

Banned
Their main source of revenue are those PS+ subs, digital revenue from PS store and royalties. That's their business. First party sales are only a fraction of their actual gaming business.

We know this because they released the splits themselves.

70.5m units of PlayStation software for the Quarter -
14.5m units of first party games for the Quarter -
Digital Software Ratio 71%
47.4m PS+ Subscribers
106m Monthly Active Users

What's more important? 14 million first party sales in their biggest quarter with HFW and GT7 which they can only replicate once every year, maybe once every two years? Or 47 million users paying $60 every year?

They have 106 million active users on PS platforms. THAT is their moneymaker. A first party game that takes 5 years to come out and then sells an extra 1-2 million on PC is pennies compared to their main business which is making those 106 million users feel prioritized.

Insane reading a first party console manufacturer literally come out and say we are going multiplatform. If they want to go multiplatform, they should go third party.

Less insane, when you're a user and get your prioritized "feels" from being able to run your account or subscription on all kinds of hardware, conveniently able to play your Playstation games where ever you wish, be it on PC, smart TVs, or next generation Playstation consoles going forward.

jonah-hill-fuck-me.gif

Their main source of revenue are those PS+ subs, digital revenue from PS store and royalties. That's their business. First party sales are only a fraction of their actual gaming business.

47.4m PS+ Subscribers

What's more important? 14 million first party sales in their biggest quarter with HFW and GT7 which they can only replicate once every year, maybe once every two years? Or 47 million users paying $60 every year?

They have 106 million active users on PS platforms. THAT is their moneymaker. A first party game that takes 5 years to come out and then sells an extra 1-2 million on PC is pennies compared to their main business which is making those 106 million users feel prioritized.

Insane reading a first party console manufacturer literally come out and say we are going multiplatform. If they want to go multiplatform, they should go third party.
Pretty much the only reason they have that PS+ money is the paid online requirement. I think their PC strategy so far has been pretty ok in not negatively affecting their console business but they definitely need to be careful about it. PC is already extremely appealing and making the switch to PC is about to become really attractive with the price of hardware dropping and with things like the Steam Deck.

Last edited:
Cool, more video games is always good news.

I wonder what they'll do with PC. Anything from drip-feeding to day 1 releases seems kinda possible. I'm curious to see how this goes.

Wouldn't mind getting a PS5 down the line if they release more games that appeal to me. But hey, if I can avoid that and end up playing Persona 6 or whatever other future exclusives on PC, I'll be extra happy

Last edited:

47.4m PS+ Subscribers

Ok, there's no reason why they couldn't provide any of those services on PC. They need to build the library before they do, which means they need to invest. Well, wouldn't you know it, it appears they're investing $300 Million.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sony should cut the crap and disclose the PC ports they are working on, alongside an estimate release schedule. I get the level of secrecy with new games but these are ports after all...

yurinka

They’ll just continue to drip feed old games onto PC, a single studio isn’t enough to keep up with everything that’s releasing.
Well, if they continue at their pace of 3 or 4 PC ports per year I assume they can afford, maybe from time to time calling another porting studio like the one they had for GoW or Iron Galaxy (the one for U4+ULL).

Sony should cut the crap and disclose the PC ports they are working on, alongside an estimate release schedule. I get the level of secrecy with new games but these are ports after all...
They do it. The next one they have planned is Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection (U4+ULL) for this summer.

I assume the next one after it will be TLOU1+2, bundled in a Director's Cut, pretty likely released a few months after its PS5 version. They have the TV show to be released summer of next year, so I expect them to wait until closer to the tv show release to combine both marketing campaigns, as they did with the Uncharted movie and Legacy of Thieves Collection.

47.4m PS+ Subscribers

Great post. It's also important to highlight that the main revenue source for Sony is the 30% cut they get from the 3rd party game sales on PlayStation. So Sony needs to have key selling points to keep selling consoles, and their main key selling point are the exclusive games.

So it makes more sense for them to keep some 1st party games 100% exclusive on PS forever, and regarding the ones they decide to port to PC, to port them once they already milked to the end on their platform, where they get the 100% of their revenue because in PC they have to pay a revenue cut to the PC stores and don't get anything from the 3rd party games sold there.

This is why they go multi only with Bungie and port only some of their PS Studios games to PC and do it years after released on PS (after discounts, price cuts, including them on PS Plus monthly games/PS Plus Collection/PS Now).

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

47.4m PS+ Subscribers

Xbox is doing day1 pc, and still selling alot of Xbox.
People don't care where those games are located at. All they care is cheap console, which can play those games.

Or else, MS wouldn't have had those successes with xbox series, due to day1 pc, and gamepass pc.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
People don't care where those games are located at. All they care is cheap console, which can play those games.

Or else, MS wouldn't have had those successes with xbox series, due to day1 pc, and gamepass pc.
Off topic but I'm super curious how many PC gamepass subscribers there are. Purely PC not ultimate. A few million maybe? Less?

Midn1ght

I assume the next one after it will be TLOU1+2, bundled in a Director's Cut, pretty likely released a few months after its PS5 version. They have the TV show to be released summer of next year, so I expect them to wait until closer to the tv show release to combine both marketing campaigns, as they did with the Uncharted movie and Legacy of Thieves Collection.
Nvidia leaks suggests Returnal, Sackboy and Ghost of Tsushima are next.
Ratchet, Demon's Souls and Gran Turismo 7 were also listed.

Unless they're drastically changing their strategy, most PlayStation's games will end up on PC.

The argument that their console business will suffer if they go PC day one is weak. There won't be a massive exodus of console gamer going PC if they do so.
Also, with the current stock issue, going multi-platform is probably the best course of action.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Off topic but I'm super curious how many PC gamepass subscribers there are. Purely PC not ultimate. A few million maybe? Less?
My brother has gamepass pc, which he mainly uses it to play FH5.
I would say alot.
The downside is that windows store sucks for alot of people. It needs alot of rework for most pc to sub to gamepass pc.

If MS puts gamepass on steam though, than that is 30m easily from steam.

My guess for now is 3m-6m users base.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gabe is already loves the idea.
It will boost his steam deck.
Imagine gamepass steam with steam deck. That is instant buy for alot of people.
Yes, the idea. Financials are a different story.

Not saying it can't or won't happen, just revenue sharing on an already thin margin at the moment.

kingfey

Banned
The argument that their console business will suffer if they go PC day one is weak. There won't be a massive exodus of console gamer going PC if they do so.
People won't buy pc to play few console exclusives.
Forum kids have no clue, what sells, and what doesn't.
People buy consoles, because it's easy to use.
Tell average Joe to buy a pc, because he can play last of us 3 on pc. They will laugh at your face.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They'll have to convince Valve, first.

Valve CEO Gabe Newell is open to the idea of making Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass service available on Steam. Speaking with PC Gamer, Newell said that Valve isn’t interested in creating its own game subscription service alternative, and it had “nothing philosophical against having Xbox Game Pass on Steam.

Just need the right atmosphere, a nice candle light dinner between Phil and Gabe to seal the deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Just need the right atmosphere, a nice candle light dinner between Phil and Gabe to seal the deal.
No shit, money. That was my argument.

He likes the idea of money, it's how much MS is willing to part with in their revenue sharing of the service. It will eventually happen, probably.

Anywho, back on topic. Wonder if this is for more studios to open up like Bungie, or more invested into Bungie beyond just Destiny factory.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Yes, the idea. Financials are a different story.

Not saying it can't or won't happen, just revenue sharing on an already thin margin at the moment.
He can charge them 30% cut for each user base.
So he gets $3 for every steam user who subscribes to gamepass pc.
30m steam gamepass user base would generate $90m a month for him, plus whatever long term plan he agrees with them personally.
Let's say, $5b-$10b 10 year plan, plus $3 for each user base would generate for him alot of money.

Remember, that users would still buy copies of the game, because it only stays 1 year in the service. So essentially, he is getting double money.

Dolodolo

They can sell as much hardware as they want, but software sales on these consoles are much lower than Sony's.
So your argument is not an argument at all.

Dolodolo

I like that all in such topics people continue to convince themselves and others that Sony will definitely make a day and date with PC releases.

But, sorry, it won't, except for game-services, which is what this IGN clickbait article is about

I just can't see sony releasing their big single player games at launch on PC. Does anyone see sony releasing Spider-Man 2 or Wolverine on PC day and date with PS5? I don't. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
They can sell as much hardware as they want, but software sales on these consoles are much lower than Sony's.
So your argument is not an argument at all.
Great way to make it smart.
Sadly, you are missing the key point.

Userbase is what sells softwares. Sony is able to generate that much software sales, because of the userbase.

X360 had more sales than Xbox one, because of the userbase.

The console with bigger userbase would always generate more software sales.

So more hardware sales, more userbase.

yurinka

The Nvidia list maybe had some proper leaks and a few good guesses, but is full of bullshit and lies. Basically fan wishes or guesses and rumors copypasted.

According to that list MS would release over AAA games on PC during 2022, including Scalebound. And had Capcom games with typos on their names like a MH PSP game and a RE copy pasted from the leaked Capcom roadmap( including a typo that the leaker had mistranslating the name).

None of these games has been released or even announced for PC. Sony may release some of them but not now: several years in the future. Pretty likely will want to release games like Spider-Man 1+Morales and TLOU1+2 before, and maybe even older Uncharted and GoW collections too.

Unless they're drastically changing their strategy, most PlayStation's games will end up on PC.
Their strategy has been mentioned multiple times: PS Studios will be focused on making PS only games, and some of their games -not all- will be ported 'not soon' (and specifically not day one) later, but said they will experiment with how much distance.

Then Bungie will release future Bungie games day one everywhere.

Nothing points to Sony releasing all their PS Studios games on PC or to see them releasing them day one on PC. Unless we're talking a remaster off a many years old game, or if lucky some F2P.

How about releasing a decent mp game??(New Socom Like SocomI/II)
They recently released GT7 and MLB22. And Bungie, Firewalk, Deviation, Haven, London, Firesprite, Naughty Dog are working on it. And seems that Guerrilla, Bend, Insomniac and not sure if Sucker Punch are working on games that will have at least a multiplayer game mode.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I like that all in such topics people continue to convince themselves and others that Sony will definitely make a day and date with PC releases.

But, sorry, it won't, except for game-services, which is what this IGN clickbait article is about
People were adamant that Sony themselves won't drop God of war and Uncharted series on PC.
And look what PC has now.

These console manufacturers want money. Keeping their games locked on their system won't generate them enough money.

It will be a matter of time, before you see day1 PC on the announcements.

Dolodolo

Great way to make it smart.
Sadly, you are missing the key point.

Userbase is what sells softwares. Sony is able to generate that much software sales, because of the userbase.

X360 had more sales than Xbox one, because of the userbase.

The console with bigger userbase would always generate more software sales.

So more hardware sales, more userbase.
It can do this by making sure that people on consoles get top-notch projects beyond multiplatform, and those projects stay on their console for a while.

It's literally a domino effect.

Some people buy a console for some kind of game. Then they tell their friends that they have this console. Friends buy this console to play with other friends and keep buying games on this platform.

In terms of financial return on third-party sales, the xbox doesn't compare to the Playstation at all. Yes, even with Nintendo.

Dolodolo

People were adamant that Sony themselves won't drop God of war and Uncharted series on PC.
And look what PC has now.

These console manufacturers want money. Keeping their games locked on their system won't generate them enough money.

I don't know what kind of people you had there were adamant.

It's literally math.

The game completely exhausts itself on one platform, from a financial point of view, and adds some money on another platform, as a bonus

chonga

If they had $300M they should've spent it on those Square-Enix western devs and franchises.
It is easy to be misled by the figure. They've bought studios. The staff of those studios do not work for free. So a lot of that figure is simply the ongoing costs for those newly acquired studios to produce games.

Also, with the current stock issue, going multi-platform is probably the best course of action.
Xbox doesn't seem to have suffered that much, that's probably what Sony was looking at as a reference. They are still more conservative with their commitment to PC but the PS5 supply issues just made it easier for them to make this decision.

After they ported God of War I expect everything to find it's way to PC eventually. God of War is one of the most iconic PlayStation IPs and if they were comfortable putting that on PC they are comfortable with anything else.

Last edited:

Dolodolo

Sony wants to shut down people in its ecosystem.
So that they buy microtransactions, and the developers of the multiplatform pay them interest.

It is literally their main source of income.

The release on the PC on the first day does not make sense from the word at all.

I don't know why such things need to be explained.

Dolodolo

Xbox doesn't seem to have suffered that much, that's probably what Sony was looking at as a reference. They are still more conservative with their commitment to PC but the PS5 supply issues just made it easier for them to make this decision.

After they ported God of War I expect everything to find it's way to PC eventually. God of War is one of the most iconic PlayStation IPs and if they were comfortable putting that on PC they are comfortable with anything else.
That all games will be released on PC was obvious when they ported Horizon there.

It don't mean a thing when these games hit 2+ years later

Normal players are not going to wait.

kingfey

Banned
I don't know what kind of people you had there were adamant.

It's literally math.

The game completely exhausts itself on one platform, from a financial point of view, and adds some money on another platform, as a bonus
That is your view.
By putting their games on PC, and seeing people buying their games, it would make them focus more on putting their games on PC.

If you are a business person, your main objective is to maximize your profits. Holding your assets for too long, would not generate them money.

MS makes double money from PC and Xbox, due to day1 price.

Because old games go on sales fast. Day1 games go on sales late. So you maximize your profit in those first 6 months.

Just selling 4m copies on steam, is enough to recoup production cost. They get $180m at $45, after 30% cut. That covers the cost of the game. Whatever they sell on their platform would be pure profit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He can charge them 30% cut for each user base.
So he gets $3 for every steam user who subscribes to gamepass pc.
30m steam gamepass user base would generate $90m a month for him, plus whatever long term plan he agrees with them personally.
Let's say, $5b-$10b 10 year plan, plus $3 for each user base would generate for him alot of money.

Remember, that users would still buy copies of the game, because it only stays 1 year in the service. So essentially, he is getting double money.
That easy huh, just cut 30% into Game Pass subs without a side effect at all impacting the entire model.

Stop. Anywho, how about the Sony topic?

kingfey

Banned
Sony wants to shut down people in its ecosystem.
So that they buy microtransactions, and the developers of the multiplatform pay them interest.

It is literally their main source of income.

The release on the PC on the first day does not make sense from the word at all.

I don't know why such things need to be explained.
That is old Sony.
This is new Sony.

They are doing PC ports. That actions breaks down their lockdown ecosystem.

The moment you do PC port, is the moment you lose that leverage.

That all games will be released on PC was obvious when they ported Horizon there.

It don't mean a thing when these games hit 2+ years later

Normal players are not going to wait.
Horizon didn't make it obvious to me because they had just ported Death Stranding to PC (a game that uses the same engine, so the bulk of the work was probably done in a way). Same goes for Days Gone with it being a UE4 game.

Uncharted and God of War actually shows Sony going out of their way to port games that were never developed with the PC in mind. Two huge IPs for Sony as well.

I'll be surprised if Spider-Man doesn't get a port soon. and to me Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy being ported suggests other ND games are on their way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom