• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation in 2021: Sony presses its advantage with a string of big exclusives

Fake

Why would their personal taste impact whether the games sell 10 million?

About the game being mediocre? And unless anyone here have a crystal ball we can just either speculate sales or bring sales war list.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why would their personal taste impact whether the games sell 10 million?
There is a lot of people with personal taste. Don't mind me, I enjoyed the last GOW a lot, but it still was a kinda divisive title because of the changes in tone and gameplay.

bitbydeath

I'm sure they have SOME things, but it's not like big studios can pump out games every one or two years. Considering what has been released in 2020 and what is supposed to come in 2021, that's most of Sony's heavy hitters.
Quite a few first party studios could drop in 2022

-New San Diego Studio (Might be a new Uncharted)
-Guerrillas other team (Working on a shooter, which is possibly Socom)
-Sony Bend (Possibly releasing Days Gone 2)
-Then we have London and Japan who are each large studios.
-And then whatever 3rd party exclusive deals they’ve made such as WiLD and Final Fantasy 7 part 2.

kyliethicc

so far

2021 PS Exclusives:
Destruction Allstars
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War 2

2021 PS Timed (Console) Exclusives:
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Deathloop
Oodworld Soulstorm
Little Devil Inside
Final Fantasy 16
Jett The Far Shore
Ghostwire Tokyo
Project Athia
Stray
Solar Ash
Season
Goodbye Volcano High
Heavenly Bodies
Tribes of Midgard

Woopah

About the game being mediocre? And unless anyone here have a crystal ball we can just either speculate sales or bring sales war list.
We can speculate based on the data we have available. Now whether or not the next God of War is cross gen we don't know. But as the 2018 game sold over 10 million there is certainly potential for the sequel to do the same.
There is a lot of people with personal taste. Don't mind me, I enjoyed the last GOW a lot, but it still was a kinda divisive title because of the changes in tone and gameplay.
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the reaction to God of War was much more positive than divisive. I'm expecting most people who played the last one to play this one.

Fake

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the reaction to God of War was much more positive than divisive. I'm expecting most people who played the last one to play this one.

Was good, but if you take into consideration the fact most of the negative reaction Sony actually ignore, if you remember Days Gone over Reviewers or TLOUS2 over fans. Sony never get so open to discuss about that.

And talking about the next GoW plot will be the key. They can, for example, kill Kratos from the franchise if you really played the GoW 2018. IDK if the GoW fans will be OK with that, but don't matter because Sony never care about listen the negative side.

Not a lot for me there tbh. Curious about Ghostwire: Tokyo, that game looks really interesting.

Also where is Little Devil Inside? I loved the last trailer at the PS5 reveal.
I agree that Ghostwire: Tokyo looks really interesting. I feel like the hype for it died down when it was revealed to be in first-person, at least from the complaints I remember reading, but I don't think that should deter people from playing it. Some of my favorite games are first-person (Deus Ex, Half-Life etc). Genuinely amazing reveal trailer, in my opinion.

Also, I hadn't seen it before but I just watched the showcase trailer for Little Devil Inside and it does look pretty good.

-And then whatever 3rd party exclusive deals they’ve made such as WiLD and Final Fantasy 7 part 2.
Perhaps London Studio are working on a Blood & Truth sequel or a new action-adventure game for the PS5?

Last edited:

Woopah

Was good, but if you take into consideration the fact most of the negative reaction Sony actually ignore, if you remember Days Gone over Reviewers or TLOUS2 over fans. Sony never get so open to discuss about that.

And talking about the next GoW plot will be the key. They can, for example, kill Kratos from the franchise if you really played the GoW 2018. IDK if the GoW fans will be OK with that, but don't matter because Sony never care about listen the negative side.
We'll have to see what they do in they do in the future. I'm sure the development team will listen to feedback about GoW and try to make the next one better (they've spoken about doing more bosses for example) but ultimately the sales show that lots of people liked what they did with the GoW 2018 and I believe it is the most successful one in the franchise.

noise36

If its anything like last gen its a handful of quality AAA exclusives games over the generation with the rest being over hyped shovelware. We get thread after thread about how this exclusive game is better than its meta score or that game is a hidden gem despite being rubbish just because of who made it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Does that stop them from splashing a Xbox Game Studios logo when you start the game on PS5?

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea on that one. It'd be really fucking funny if it did.

I dunno, can you even do that for something which you had no involvement / say in? Stumped me.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
Honestly, I have absolutely no idea on that one. It'd be really fucking funny if it did.

I dunno, can you even do that for something which you had no involvement / say in? Stumped me.

It's not even a big deal. Before Microsoft bought Bethesda Sony announced they are going to Publish MLB the Show on Xbox.

Kerotan

Excited for the rest, but once again, there's absolutely zero chance God of War 2 releases this year. Feel free to call me out when it does and I'll eat crow while enjoying playing the game, but it's not happening. Spring 2022 at a minimum.
I have to agree with you.

kyliethicc

Spider-Man 2 is November 2022 guaranteed

REDRZA MWS

Excited for the rest, but once again, there's absolutely zero chance God of War 2 releases this year. Feel free to call me out when it does and I'll eat crow while enjoying playing the game, but it's not happening. Spring 2022 at a minimum.
I’ll believe GT7 when I see it too.

Unknown?

Uhh, many of the studios MS has acquired have great reputations and have made great games. Unless you’ve been living under a rock and missed it.
Can we return to reality? Those haven't fully transferred ownership yet. Those studios will take awhile to release exclusives for them.

isoRhythm

Banned
Returnal wtf !

Ps5 GIF by PlayStation
The game doesn't really have my interest but Housemarque has never failed to dissapoint for me. It's a conflicting feeling right now until we see some extended gameplay

base

Banned
First patch 1st party games for ps5!!! Horizon should have the 60 fps patch already!

Got ps5 since the release but after some time I feel kinda disappointed with games.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm sure they have SOME things, but it's not like big studios can pump out games every one or two years. Considering what has been released in 2020 and what is supposed to come in 2021, that's most of Sony's heavy hitters.
They will have some big 3rd party exclusives to fill the gap it might be Kojima's new game, it might be one of Supermassive's PS5 exclusives or something from Sega but they'll have some stuff prepped

sendit

Let the creator/developers do what they want with the series. Most fans have shitty opinions anyways.

Unknown?

Every new gen we get the same old fud. It's always calling into doubt something. Rofl

AJUMP23

I don’t think GOW2 is coming out this year. I think they want it to, but I bet Covid is going to delay it a year.

Gran Turismo will make it out surprisingly even though Polyphony is a slow developer.

Perrott

Gold Member
We're supposed to get more information this year. I would guess Late 2022 or 2023 for the release date.
No way, they were aiming for a summer 2021 release before Covid fucked up their schedule (remember Square Enix's CEO mentioning that "time has stood still in terms of production" until they had all of the infrastructure in place for allowing their teams to work from home).

I still expect the game to come out during following FY - that being early 2022 at the latest.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I don’t think GOW2 is coming out this year. I think they want it to, but I bet Covid is going to delay it a year.

Gran Turismo will make it out surprisingly even though Polyphony is a slow developer.
I want it but i think covid will push it back, unless its slated for end of the year which im sure it is. It will be tight, however i bet theres a ton of CRUNCH going on right now. Era wont like that lol

Papacheeks

Banned

Each studio has 2 teams. ANd Guerilla has a new IP they are working on. Santa Monic is working on god of war but does have a second team, they might be all hand on deck at the moment. Naughty dog has 2 teams, new San Diego studio, blue point has been working on 2 projects with collaboration with Japan studio. There is more to come dude. Not even mentioned bend studio, and concrete genie team.

London studio is working on AAA game thats not VR. I've heard rumors its set in london?

leo-j

Gow 2018 sold over 20 million. Anyone claiming a sequel will sell less than 10 million is uneducated about the topic.
Also, returnal, if as good as their track record has been, could be a from software inspired third person shooter in the high 80s on meta, which can sell a lot.

Astorian

Come on this is 100% bollocks, everyone went nuts seeing Kratos again and there are many reaction videos on YouTube about it, then you have reviews and GOTY awards in which the game even beat RDR2.

Gow 2018 sold over 20 million. Anyone claiming a sequel will sell less than 10 million is uneducated about the topic.
Also, returnal, if as good as their track record has been, could be a from software inspired third person shooter in the high 80s on meta, which can sell a lot.
Isn't spiderman the biggest selling ps4 game at 20 million and didn't MM just sell 600k? I think God of war will do good if its an actual sequel. If not and its actually DLC being paraded as a full game like MM then it wont do as well. I hope its a sequel because GOW 2018 was amazing

Airbus Jr

Banned
Horizon Forbiden West, Nocturnal, Rachet and Kena are solid line up for 2021

Really doubt Gran Turismo 7 and GoW Ragnarok coming this year

Last edited:
Top Bottom