• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has spent $329 Million since April on new PS Studio games from 3rd parties

If this amount was paid for just the span of 9 months, I wonder how much 3rd party exclusive title Sony has in store.

I think we can all expect more 3rd party AAA games. Returnal is just the start.

SoraNoKuni

Investing where it counts, they seem to approach a different strategy this time around by kickstarting more, smaller, studios.
This is where we'll get the diversity instead of Japan Studio... hopefully it works because the gap is too big to fill.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hopefully no more timed exclusive or 3rd party Ip exclusive, Sony needs to be independent with their own IP, dont wanna repeat the MLB mistake again

ZehDon

hopefully no more timed exclusive or 3rd party Ip exclusive, Sony needs to be independent with their own IP, dont wanna repeat the MLB mistake again
Well, get ready for disappointment. Word was that, prior to Microsoft buying Bethesda, Sony was looking to buy a timed exclusivity window for Starfield for the PlayStation 5. That wouldn't be cheap. So, I suspect the majority of the third party spending that was aimed at the launch year will be on marketing deals, console bundles, DLC timed exclusivity, and a small number of timed exclusives. You might get another PlayStation All Stars, or, if you're lucky, another Bloodbourne sized title - and that's best case scenario.

They have 12 first party studios, they need heavy third party support to even begin to compete with Xbox. For them to own the IP it's going to be very expensive working with a third party. They need more first party studios it's really quite simple, 12 compared to 23 is laughable when they are market leader.

Ryan just keeps on with his blinkers on shutting studios and losing contracts with long-term third party partners.

They have 12 first party studios, they need heavy third party support to even begin to compete with Xbox. For them to own the IP it's going to be very expensive working with a third party. They need more first party studios it's really quite simple, 12 compared to 23 is laughable when they are market leader.
23 studios and no games is laughable.
MS needs 23 studios and can't even compete.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Ryan just keeps on with his blinkers on shutting studios and losing contracts with long-term third party partners.
Something tells me that ignoring studio actual size, ignoring organic growth in SIE WWS Studios , and how these studios operate efficiently and share effectively is another “variable 10 TFLOPS <<<< Fixed 12 TFLOPS” level oversold miscalculation. Especially once you factor the games these studios are making (see w Ghost of Tsushima or a Spider-man level game).

I am not happy about what happened to JAPAN Studio and the titles they provided (I have always supported those studios not just paid lip service and forum outrage after the fact unlike some I guess…), but supporting the good studios sometimes means showing that you can make those painful decisions with parts of the org which needs to be at least reset.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

It looks like more 3rd party exclusive games are coming. Returnal is just the start.
Returnal, Firewalk FPS, Abandoned, Demon’s Souls. 329 Million is nothing for multiple exclusive games. They need more first party studios. 329 m are good for 2/3 years not an entire generation.

Last edited:
Something tells me that ignoring studio actual size, ignoring organic growth in SIE WWS Studios , and how these studios operate efficiently and share effectively is another “variable 10 TFLOPS <<<< Fixed 12 TFLOPS” level oversold miscalculation. Especially once you factor the games these studios are making (see w Ghost of Tsushima or a Spider-man level game).

I am not happy about what happened to JAPAN Studio and the titles they provided (I have always supported those studios not just paid lip service and forum outrage after the fact unlike some I guess…), but supporting the good studios sometimes means showing that you can make those painful decisions with parts of the org which needs to be at least reset.
We shall see my friend after both lay their cards on the table later this year. I don't see Sony coming out favourably in comparison if I'm honest, but I'm sure both companies will have some great titles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We shall see my friend after both lay their cards on the table later this year. I don't see Sony coming out favourably in comparison if I'm honest, but I'm sure both companies will have some great titles.
We shall see indeed once the generation is over. I win either way :p. It is also a matter of taste: some of the Sony games are good enough to keep me engaged and having fun for longer and I prefer that to more smaller games.

MS has lots of studios and very good developers under their belt, but they have a very very tough job scaling some of them up (easier said than done, many of those are small studios and you risk wrecking them by forcing them to scale too quickly) and maki bc the whole XGS feel like a true family of studios sharing tech and best practices and concepts and all. Sony is not given enough praise by how well oiled their SIE WWS machine is and how much of a multiplier it is.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
That's the mantra for Sony after zenimax acquisition
Internal growth is okay to a point but it won't get you the type of instantaneous growth and possibilities some acquisitions can.

I mean, the Minecraft acquisition by MSFT was a masterstroke.... Sony are just terrible at that type of stuff... who did they buy years ago to get into mobile? Fucking Ericsson. What a waste of money.
Yet they didn't open their pocketbook for Minecraft, Zenimax or Roblox.....

They must have a crowd of dimwits working in their M&A section. Or the upper management is just really really bad at that stuff.

And that is coming from a PlayStation fan!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wish I could round up all the GAF posters who use their term of the day; ‘organic growth’, and give them the bolt.
Rounding people up, so nice. We wuv you too Benny ;). (Oh and btw some people’s work could have “creating teams” as part of what they do and/or they have seen what adding tons of people too quickly can do or the productivity of well matched people that fit the already present team although you ramp up more slowly…)

Last edited:

Hatsuma

Why are people talking about this just being 3rd party timed exclusives? The money is primarily for 2nd party releases or publishing partnership. Their launch and launch window for example, are primarily 2nd party games. Sackboy, Demon Souls R, Returnal, Destruction Allstars, were made by 3rd party studios. This takes pressure off of their main studios while they get their projects ready. And provides content for launch.

They just announced two publishing partnerships and likely have more to come. Ryan stance hasn't changed on them doing some acquisitions, but they have to fit like Insomniac did, and still have to want to be acquired. Insomniac came swinging out the gate for launch and launch year. They are likely going to acquire House Marque next because of them seemingly passing the test with Returnal. That game is on a media and appears to be a commercial beast.

They may be looking at some Japanese studios with them sponsoring the Japanese Indies program. As their strength grows in Japan, I imagine them reinvesting there.

zedinen

That's the mantra for Sony after zenimax acquisition
Jim Ryan has invested $4Bn since 2019. He has sacrificed short-term profitability to expand internal operations.

PlayStation Studios will publish more games than previous generation, be it internal or externally developed by companies with close ties.

Sony is capable of buying a mid-size publisher, if needed, but would be the last resort.

M&A tend to destroy value and yield worse results than long-planned organic growth. In other words, PlayStation, a well-oiled machine, is greater than the sum of its parts.

Ryan will back up his words on Ap 28.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Returnal, Firewalk FPS, Abandoned, Demon’s Souls. 329 Million is nothing for multiple exclusive games. They need more first party studios. 329 m are good for 2/3 years not an entire generation.
That $329M figure was contracted in just 7 months (April to December). That's not necessarily all the amount that they are going to spend this entire generation.

Hatsuma

That $329M figure was contracted in just 7 months (April to December). That's not necessarily all the amount that they are going to spend this entire generation.
Exactly. They can allot more money per year. The launch line up for PS5 were mostly 2nd party games. Those 2nd party games were contracted years in advance. All of the timed exclusives, 2nd party games, and partnerships are born of contracts of prior years.

Weird people assume that it is for the entire generation.

Jaysen

Banned
If they’re funding games that wouldn’t otherwise get made, I salute them. If they’re merely paying for games not to be on other platforms, they can eat shit.

yurinka

Internal growth is okay to a point but it won't get you the type of instantaneous growth and possibilities some acquisitions can.

I mean, the Minecraft acquisition by MSFT was a masterstroke.... Sony are just terrible at that type of stuff... who did they buy years ago to get into mobile? Fucking Ericsson. What a waste of money.

They must have a crowd of dimwits working in their M&A section. Or the upper management is just really really bad at that stuff.

Maybe to spend over $10B on M&A for games doesn't make any sense for Sony and it was smarter to grow organically the internal studios that perform well, and to make some acquisition like Insomniac. Maybe MS did it as a desperate move to try to catch up the distance Sony had with them regarding 1st party games.

After Minecraft and Bethesda, Sony is performing way better than MS on all fronts, and better than PS ever did. So maybe the smart strategy was the Sony one.

Btw, Ericsson back then was one of the top mobile manufacturers.

I don't know what you are talking about.

Sony publishes way more 1st party (which includes 2nd party) games, releases way more new IPs, wins way more awards, sells way more consoles, sells way more games and makes way more money than MS.

Sony didn't close any studio for a while, they downsized Japan Studio because didn't perform well while grew most of their other studios, because are performing great. Just like most companies, but in this case since most of studios performed great recently they grew many of them.

Sony dominates MS on all fronts, it's MS who has to put these studios to work and catch up.

Last edited:

Keihart

Jim Ryan has invested $4Bn since 2019. He has sacrificed short-term profitability to expand internal operations.

PlayStation Studios will publish more games than previous generation, be it internal or externally developed by companies with close ties.

Sony is capable of buying a mid-size publisher, if needed, but would be the last resort.

M&A tend to destroy value and yield worse results than long-planned organic growth. In other words, PlayStation, a well-oiled machine, is greater than the sum of its parts.

Ryan will back up his words on Ap 28.
What is this? the playstation warrior manifesto ?
Ricky Gervais Laughing GIF

I just hope they are games that interest me. I'm not huge into Sony exclusives although the PS4 is my main console. They almost never have main characters that I enjoy. Quite a few of them don't even have art styles that I enjoy.

FrankWza

Is this feelings or facts?

It's there in black and white. It is a fact.
He ran to google and come up with nothing so now crickets. Probably brought to tears poor thing

Yeah spending 10 billion for games Xbox was already getting is a brilliant move and Sony are dumb for not doing it.

I doubt Sony have that kind of money to spend; where as MS do. MS also massively overpaid. Fallout etc games won’t generate anywhere near that revenue in 10 years; even less if it’s just going on gamepass.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Yeah spending 10 billion for games Xbox was already getting is a brilliant move and Sony are dumb for not doing it.

I doubt Sony have that kind of money to spend; where as MS do. MS also massively overpaid. Fallout etc games won’t generate anywhere near that revenue in 10 years; even less if it’s just going on gamepass.

I agree with you in almost everything...

Except I think Xbox strategy here is more about denying PlayStation games than increasing their own games library.

I have absolutely no doubt that Sony have the money to invest, they have 18 billion invested in a single company alone right now and they have nearly no debt (7 billion is very very low) so they could easily use debt financing.
This year alone PlayStation division made 3.3 billion or so in net income which is basically enough to buy the entirety of Sega-Sammy...

Or an acquisition like Square or Capcom would take just over 2 years to pay off or 3 quarters of a year for Sony as a corporation to pay off.

Also, these companies are more valuable to a film / Anime / TV / music and gaming company like Sony.... Square is 30% anime, film and manga etc. for instance.

Last edited:

Lemondish

Microsoft has like nothing in the pipeline outside Halo for the next 3 years. Sony will continue to run circles around them with content for quite some time.

It's easy when you only have to compete with shit like The Medium.

Top Bottom