• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has Officially Removed Japan Studio from its List of Studios

Bartski

Gold Member
Most valuable traits of a Sony game studio according to top gaf armchair CEOs:

1. Its name. Must rhyme with "began"

2. Nationality of developers working in the studio. No epicanthic fold = no talent.

3. Gravity Rush

mansoor1980

5fj1cc.jpg

Japan Studio was far and away they most creative developer that Sony had. The fact that Sony couldn't see value in them is an reflection of how little Sony cares about their history or the Japan in general.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Gamers bitch and complain about everything.

People have to admit that many of their games weren't successful and that played a huge factor in their restructuring. You may love these games, but they're not going to keep putting out sequels if they're not successful.

Team Asbobi from Team Japan is still intact and its expanding. This doesn't mean they're not able to create new IPs in the future.

Dr Kaneda

ITT:
- People not aware that Team Ico (Ico+Colossus+Guardian) and Project Siren (Forbidden Siren + Gravity Rush) had long left Sony and formed their own genDesign and Bokeh studios, and they can continue to work on those IPs as independent developers.
genDesign finished working on Guardian in 2016 and have yet to ship anything since and likely wont ship anything until AT LEAST 2023. That's a 7 year dev cycle, that's simply not good enough.

And as for Bokeh Studio, despite their entire draw being hardcore horror they've instead said their 1st game will be an action adventure game since they want to appeal to "wider audience". Isn't that the entire reason Sony dropped games like Siren?

So despite both these studios being independent and free to do whatever they want they literally have the same flaws they did when they were part of Japan Studios at Sony. So many the issue is with them and not Sony.

Gamers bitch and complain about everything.

People have to admit that many of their games weren't successful and that played a huge factor in their restructuring. You may love these games, but they're not going to keep putting out sequels if they're not successful.

Team Asbobi from Team Japan is still intact and its expanding. This doesn't mean they're not able to create new IPs in the future.

you guys think I got a shot? I can draw in ms paint and say hello in japanese. Basically I'm an expert.

SilentUser

As a fan of japanese games, I adored their output... It is sad to see them being shutdown/absorbed, though this is nothing new and we could see it coming years ago, since basically all their games underperformed both in sales and critical reception. Actually, add the troubling engines they used (Last Guardian 👀) to the mix and the results couldn't be other, imo.

yurinka

Yes, we already knew that in addition to move all global 2nd party publishing stuff to XDEV and to downsize their internal 1st party development to focus it into their Team Asobi they rebranded the studio as Team Asobi (since now Team Asobi was going to be the only Japan Studio team didn't make sense to keep both names, so they kept one of the two).

Sony care about big games only now. Also PC.
Then why they recently published Sackboy, Destruction All-Stars or Returnal, bought Housemarque and published all these 3rd parties total or timed exclusives like Guilty Gear Strive or all these indies?

This is what I feared, I hope Microsoft pushes themselves in the Japanese market by getting more support for devs in Japan, the same goes for Nintendo. I would have hope, they would have stayed true to themselves instead of evolving into a Western market. Sony was one of the key leaders for this reason.
Sony gets more exclusives from Japanese devs than Microsoft and Nintendo combined. Basically all known big and small publisher or dev had a PS4 exclusive.

ITT:
- People not aware that Team Ico (Ico+Colossus+Guardian) and Project Siren (Forbidden Siren + Gravity Rush) had long left Sony and formed their own genDesign and Bokeh studios, and they can continue to work on those IPs as independent developers.

As for those still working there, changing the name of one studio doesn't mean shutting it down. These news outlets are just being vultures for clicks based on fake drama.
Ueda and a few more left Japan Studio during the TLG development and worked as external consultor/supervisor while the rest of the team completed the game at Japan Studio. Many key Project Siren a.k.a. Team Gravity staff plus a lot of other non Team Asobi members were fired when they downsized the studio, and these remaining non Team Asobi members were moved to Team Asobi.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

Bloodborne, Siren, Tha Last Guy, Echochrome, Tokio Jungle, Demon's Souls, Ico, Shadow of the Collossus, The Last Guardian, Locoroco, Gravity Rush.

End of an Era.
It' wasn't a blockbuster studio, but it was one of the best.

Top Bottom