• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has new partnership with Discord, starting early next year

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Isn't it weird how MS rumours start going round and Sony always ends up being the one with the deal, exclusive, etc.
I wouldn't go making anymore rumours Xbox Fans, you know how it ends....😂

Probably the rumor was “Discord is going to announce a partnership with a console maker” and since the leaker cannot run with that, they spin it up their own way for maximum attention (50% chance of being right given that it is only Sony or Microsoft).

AFAIK there were no recent talks with MS, so the previous rumor was bullshit.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
how does discord and console work together? Whats it going to add or replace?
It's likely the ability to link your Discord account to your Playstation account, and then they'll link their messaging/voice backends.

Not replacing anything, likely not much "installed on your PS5" or anything like that.

No U Reverse GIF by MOODMAN

It's likely the ability to link your Discord account to your Playstation account, and then they'll link their messaging/voice backends.

Not replacing anything, likely not much "installed on your PS5" or anything like that.
Yeah, a new app basically. Loads your friend list / community list. Then you can voice chat people.

Maybe a Discord tab on the "explore" section of the PS5 with clips or suggestions.

This is great, but still so far away. Why? Hopefully it will happen sooner, as I don't see much reason not to. I need it ASAP lol
Because they heard about the rumors of Ms buying Discord so they reacted quickly by making an agreement to work with them.

They probably don't even know what are they gonna use it for, they just didn't want to be left out.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Because they heard about the rumors of Ms buying Discord so they reacted quickly by making an agreement to work with them.

They probably don't even know what are they gonna use it for, they just didn't want to be left out.
its possible that Sony came in and saying they'll let them remain independent, invest in them, and worked on a partnership which in turn influenced them to call off the MS deal. I'm sure MS will either pitch at buying them again or cave and also seal a deal.

tmlDan

„Win“. lol as if anyone cares about discord. Most people don’t even what discord is outside of hardcore gamers.
That's simply not true, they have massive communities from politics to YouTubers...it's not just gaming. Even Vaccination rollout here in Canada has a discord for Q&A to help people navigate getting their vaccine in different regions.

They have 140 million active users and revenue growth from 2019-2020 went up from $45 to $130 million coming exclusively from Nitro and gained 40 million users in 2021 alone.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Discord is basically a universal party chat system which also functions as a forum/chatroom.
It would enable me to finally painlessly party-chat while playing a PS4 game, and others are on PC or vice versa.
Not just that... it is one of the best gaming streaming platforms.
Yeap it is better than Twitch.

You are in a #channel and everybody can stream what they want... you can watch what you want while talking with everybody else.

It just works very well.

PS. Discord is what made Among Us so popular in 2020.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
This is a great move. I mean soon as CROSSPLAY became a thing that should have been a sign for Sony and MS to either buy or partner, I'm just surprised now you have to wait a year to see this come to fruition really should have happened a year or two ago. Hopefully MS partners as well, so we can all be united and not have any more barriers to play and communicate with one another.

Also, excited about this because I hate what PS5 UX/UI has done to the Party System, it's useless.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Sony behind the scenes discussed a partnership and showed the benefits to Discord and at the same time allowing them to remain independent, ultimately tanking the MS deal?

But I thought only buying companies counts?!?!

Which is a lot more respectful for the industry and for gamers.

Holammer

Sony behind the scenes discussed a partnership and showed the benefits to Discord and at the same time allowing them to remain independent, ultimately tanking the MS deal?

But I thought only buying companies counts?!?!

That' s not how it works. Discord DOES NOT want to remain independent, it is a product with investors hoping to sell it for a shitload of money. The service brings is negligible amounts of cash, especially after the failed attempt to launch the Nitro games Store. What Sony is doing here is investing in Discord and offering the promise to integrate the service in Playstation products to sweeten the deal for another potential buyer. If it sells, Sony will cash in just like all the other investors.
If a new buyer fails to materialize, a downward spiral begins with advertising and other attempts to monetize the service.

Dolomite

MS pot of gold wasn’t quite deep enough and now discord leaves with the big dog. Hehe.

This’ll be on Xbox too though won’t it? Probably MS will jump on round I of funding not to be outdone.
Xbox has had a partnership with discord since 2018

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Source: https://www.sie.com/en/blog/announcing-playstations-new-partnership-with-discord/

SIE-Blog_Featured-Image_Discord.jpg

Jim Ryan, President & CEO
At PlayStation, we’re constantly looking for new ways to enable players around the world to connect with one another, form new friendships and communities, and share fun experiences and lasting memories. It’s in this spirit that we’re excited to announce a new partnership with Discord, the communication service popularized by gamers and used by more than 140 million people every month around the world.

Together, our teams are already hard at work connecting Discord with your social and gaming experience on PlayStation Network. Our goal is to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year, allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together.

To bring these experiences to life for our players, Sony Interactive Entertainment has made a minority investment as part of Discord’s Series H round. From our very first conversation with co-founders Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy, I was inspired by their lifelong love for gaming and our teams’ shared passion to help bring friends and communities together in new ways. Empowering players to create communities and enjoy shared gaming experiences is at the heart of what we do, so we are beyond excited to start this journey with one of the world’s most popular communication services.

Why I feel gonna buy SEGA now?

Bryank75

Banned
but! Anonymous sources told us Microsoft was gonna buy Discord! 😂
Yeah and every time there is a good Sony story or news, there seems to be some unsubstantiated leak about another studio making an box exclusive despite the stats that were recently released showing most devs were either making or going to make PS games by quite a margin. The amount of FUD the start of this generation is quite amazing.

Dabaus

Banned
Probably already been said but I think this is what happened. The psp and vita both used Skype, right before the PS4 generation what does Microsoft do? Buys Skype, which is basically dead now btw. I think Microsoft caught wind that Sony was going to partner with discord and offered to buy them but discord refused because they have integrity.

I don’t understand Microsoft’s obsession with not allowing PlayStation a video chat option but that seems to be the goal. Maybe they’re afraid that if people can stream call of duty or fort nite from PlayStation then they’ll have a bigger audience and influence than they already have? No idea.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Doesn't Microsoft already have something going on with discord, and have for at least a year now?

Edit: Figured as much, for about 3 years now

I guess the question becomes, will Discord have more functionality within PS5? Or will it be just like what Xbox currently has.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Probably already been said but I think this is what happened. The psp and vita both used Skype, right before the PS4 generation what does Microsoft do? Buys Skype, which is basically dead now btw. I think Microsoft caught wind that Sony was going to partner with discord and offered to buy them but discord refused because they have integrity.

I don’t understand Microsoft’s obsession with not allowing PlayStation a video chat option but that seems to be the goal. Maybe they’re afraid that if people can stream call of duty or fort nite from PlayStation then they’ll have a bigger audience and influence than they already have? No idea.
Wasn't it Discord that reached out to MS? Or was that board rumor BS?

Top Bottom