• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has new partnership with Discord, starting early next year

You're really not missing anything. This is going to be next to useless for most people.

You may have noticed that in that entire statement it doesn't actually say anything that's useful that is even happening. They're bringing a voice service / chat room "closer" to PSN, which already has built in voice chat. Whoopee.
I would actually like beeing able to talk with my mates on discord while playing on my PS5 using a headset.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would actually like beeing able to talk with my mates on discord while playing on my PS5 using a headset.
And from what I hear, there are some really robust and focused/themed communities on Discord. If you are able to communicate on every device Discord is on, that sounds like a pretty big deal.

At least that was the mantra when MS was to buy them a couple of weeks ago. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
cq1wNb4.gif

onesvenus

If Discord didn't want to sell, then Microsoft couldn't really stop them from doing this deal with Xbox. Hopefully this forces Microsoft to do something similar in terms of roadmap and committing internal resources to get a good level of integration. Win for all gamers.
I can understand them not wanting to sell. What I can't understand is that I'm sure Microsoft was aware of them wanting to do another financing round and them not wanting to invest.

Xbox was never part of that deal, but Microsoft as a corp.
That was a potential buyout, this is a partnership.
Basically this thing is a typical oranges vs apples.
Neither you nor I know if Xbox was part of that deal. Obviously, the one negotiating was Microsoft but to say Xbox didn't influence that in any way is a stretch IMO. If Playstation could see value on them, I'm sure Xbox also could.

reksveks

Xbox is getting Discord around the release of Halo infinite.
That would be great news, you got a source?

I can understand them not wanting to sell. What I can't understand is that I'm sure Microsoft was aware of them wanting to do another financing round and them not wanting to invest.
Crunch base isn't that great to figure out whom has invested but yeah its a bit poor vision. I do wonder if they still plan to ipo this year.

Well, well, well, how about that? Jim Ryan making yet another great move for PlayStation. Don't know how many times I need to say the man knows what he is doing. It's also funny to see people saying "I hope this doesn't mean it won't come to other platforms" when those same people were foaming at the mouth thinking Microsoft was going to buy Discord. They would've been fine if Discord was exclusive to Xbox.

That would be great news, you got a source?

Crunch base isn't that great to figure out whom has invested but yeah its a bit poor vision. I do wonder if they still plan to ipo this year.
"This comes just off the heels of a deal made between Discord and Microsoft to integrate the chat app with Halo Infinite on PC. And the two recently made headlines as reports circulated that Microsoft considered buying Discord for $10 billion, but Discord has decided to continue independently for now."
source.

Edit: actually reading it again it says PC not xbox but i guess and hope that would happen?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You're really not missing anything. This is going to be next to useless for most people.

You may have noticed that in that entire statement it doesn't actually say anything that's useful that is even happening. They're bringing a voice service / chat room "closer" to PSN, which already has built in voice chat. Whoopee.
And how did you learn all the future roadmap details?

This is just an announcement of the partnership. We don't know how they intend to bring those things "closer". This will be a long-term partnership with a longass roadmap and plenty of iterations.

kyliethicc

True but there used to be the whole Communities feature on PSN that some people liked. And then they killed it and some peopled got mad.

I assume this is why they killed that off. This will replace it basically.

perkelson

Never used discord but it seems pretty popular. So I suppose this will be a popular partnership.

It is the best thing that happened to gaming since slice of pizza and coke. I can't imagine even playing with dedicated chats/voice chats rather than discord.

And how did you learn all the future roadmap details?

This is just an announcement of the partnership. We don't know how they intend to bring those things "closer". This will be a long-term partnership with a longass roadmap and plenty of iterations.
I'm open to even wild speculation of what is theoretically possible. I'm just looking at what Discord is, and coming to the obvious conclusion that this is almost entirely pointless for most people.

It's text / voice / video chat. PSN barely even needs it.

The product is not Discord. The product is the users, and they're being sold. When you have a hundred million+ active young users in the demographic people want all communicating on a service that is free with no ads and can record all communication and data about you, what do you think the point of any of this even is?

I can't for the life of me think of what this longass roadmap is supposed to consist of. Text chat will be mostly useless without a keyboard plugged in. Most people don't have a PS camera, so videochat and streaming yourself aren't that big of a deal either. So that leaves voice chat - something already on PSN. Whoopee!?

Last edited:

Arun1910

I am hoping it will end up more as a replacement for ps voice chat. Heck if we can get our ffxiv raid mates on ps5 off their phones it's a big plus

I think it would be pretty cool the more I think about it. There have been many times my PC friends have asked me to pop on Discord to hang out on Chat whilst I've been on my PS5.

If I can now use Discord on my PC and my PS5 to "hang out" with mates regardless of platform, I'm all for it.

Drewpee

Banned
Wasn't MS buying that 👀
Hopefully they decide to put the 10 billion into other areas of gaming and not Discord. I'm out if the loop there completely but I dont see how the site is worth more than a company like Zenimax.

To be clear though that is my ignorance talking, their has to be a reason Microsoft was having discussions at that price. I'm just glad it didn't happen personally.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
I was the same. I pretty much just use discord to join the channels of some indy games and give my feedback directly to the devs as they usually reply back.
same here, they really need to up the channel limit though because so many companies make their own Discord that I've hit 100 already and it's frustrating to have to find a relatively dead channel to leave to make room to join a new one

Arun1910

To be clear though that is my ignorance talking, their has to be a reason Microsoft was having discussions at that price. I'm just glad it didn't happen personally.
Why would you be happy MS didn't get it?

It's not like MS is strapped for money and it would hinder anything else they're doing?

reksveks

Hopefully they decide to put the 10 billion into other areas of gaming and not Discord. I'm out if the loop there completely but I dont see how the site is worth more than a company like Zenimax.

To be clear though that is my ignorance talking, their has to be a reason Microsoft was having discussions at that price. I'm just glad it didn't happen personally
Their current valuation is 7Bn, there is a premium on MAU and especially younger MAU whom are likely to age into being consumers. It also wasn't just for the Xbox division but would have help cement themselves as the #2 cloud provider.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Ohh the irony is there somewhere, imagine that. This is bad. Microsoft should have done a partnership with Discord not Sony.

Mixer and Skype are two big ones.

One could argue that Mixer was doomed before MS even bought them, but at the end of the day, large tech companies gobble up smaller, promising tech companies only for the purpose of sunsetting those products and ultimately forcing you into something else that works, but isn't as cool/magical and ends up being more profitable. You don't even need to innovate, you just got to buy the competition when they start bringing that heat.

Excellent news. Discord is top notch at what it does, so better integration with Playstation's UI is very welcome. Microsoft needs to more deeply integrate Discord into their experience also because I want some of those features on Xbox, such as the nicknames feature for one. Let's see how Sony and Discord do this.

Seems people are misreading this? Even if Microsoft bought Discord it was never going to become exclusive to Xbox or anything, meaning partnerships like this with Sony would have still been possible, because they would have been an independent entity, and spreading something like this across as many eco-systems as possible is exactly what you want to have happen.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
what is the point of this tie up? 🤷‍♀️

I got a discord account so i can checkout some anime. Iirc it is just another forums like neogaf or reddit

Top Bottom