• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has new partnership with Discord, starting early next year

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.sie.com/en/blog/announcing-playstations-new-partnership-with-discord/

SIE-Blog_Featured-Image_Discord.jpg

Jim Ryan, President & CEO
At PlayStation, we’re constantly looking for new ways to enable players around the world to connect with one another, form new friendships and communities, and share fun experiences and lasting memories. It’s in this spirit that we’re excited to announce a new partnership with Discord, the communication service popularized by gamers and used by more than 140 million people every month around the world.

Together, our teams are already hard at work connecting Discord with your social and gaming experience on PlayStation Network. Our goal is to bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year, allowing friends, groups, and communities to hang out, have fun, and communicate more easily while playing games together.

To bring these experiences to life for our players, Sony Interactive Entertainment has made a minority investment as part of Discord’s Series H round. From our very first conversation with co-founders Jason Citron and Stan Vishnevskiy, I was inspired by their lifelong love for gaming and our teams’ shared passion to help bring friends and communities together in new ways. Empowering players to create communities and enjoy shared gaming experiences is at the heart of what we do, so we are beyond excited to start this journey with one of the world’s most popular communication services.

Last edited:

SilentUser

This is great, but still so far away. Why? Hopefully it will happen sooner, as I don't see much reason not to. I need it ASAP lol

reksveks

I can't really understand how Xbox let's Sony win these news.
They seem to have good focus but they somehow always fail and end up making Sony stronger.

Good move by Sony
If Discord didn't want to sell, then Microsoft couldn't really stop them from doing this deal with Xbox. Hopefully this forces Microsoft to do something similar in terms of roadmap and committing internal resources to get a good level of integration. Win for all gamers.

I feel like a luddite as I have no idea what Discord really is. :messenger_dizzy:
You're really not missing anything. This is going to be next to useless for most people.

You may have noticed that in that entire statement it doesn't actually say anything that's useful that is even happening. They're bringing a voice service / chat room "closer" to PSN, which already has built in voice chat. Whoopee.

Top Bottom