• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation had an excellent Gamescom (without even showing up properly)

Stuart360

Not true, man. They had a much better E3 show, and here are the results. Same platform; same channel. That show was a B (could have been an A if they showed Redfall's and Starfield's raw gameplay footage), and this poll results accurately reflect that.

Pretty mixed though for what IMO was one of the best E3 shows in years, and shows roughly 40k from 70k voters voted Xbox E3 at a C or a D.. Besides i have seen other polls elsewhere where the the poll was much worse for the Xbox E3.
My point was that when you have something like gaming, which is such a fanboy driven medium, public poll results mean little.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Let’s not be naive, it wasn’t a great offering, but it wasn’t supposed to be.

We know they handle the majority of their own good news when it’s time to present, so expecting much here (or even caring much at all) is illogical.

We know the games are coming. The rest of the year is set in stone, though.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Pretty mixed though for what IMO was one of the best E3 shows in years, and shows roughly 40k from 70k voters voted Xbox E3 at a C or a D.. Besides i have seen other polls elsewhere where the the poll was much worse for the Xbox E3.
So here's my take on that. If someone is already in the Xbox ecosystem, I thought it was a good show for them because of all the Gamepass announcements: ranging from A to B.

For someone like me (who is most of the time, but not always, outside their ecosystem), the E3 show didn't convince me enough to jump the gun and get an XSX/GP and get super excited. For me, it ranged from B to C.

Many of the votes for A and D would be from hardcore fanboys. But anyway, my point was that when they had a good show, they got a B. When they had a bad show, they got a D. It's literally the same channel and audience -- which shows it's relatively impartial. So what you said (that they could have shown 50+ AAA games and still would have got a D) that's incorrect, as we have seen with the E3 2021 poll.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Let’s not be naive, it wasn’t a great offering, but it wasn’t supposed to be.

We know they handle the majority of their own good news when it’s time to present, so expecting much here (or even caring much at all) is illogical.

We know the games are coming. The rest of the year is set in stone, though.
Pretty much my point. It wasn't supposed to be even a PlayStation show (let alone a good show), but it ended up with plenty of exciting announcements for PlayStation users. When compared with other publishers, I thought PlayStation ended up "winning" Gamescom (imo) and Bandai Namco came second. Had they showed Elden Ring, these rankings would have been reversed for me.

Last edited:

Stuart360

So here's my take on that. If someone is already in the Xbox ecosystem, I thought it was a good show for them because of all the Gamepass announcements: ranging from A to B.

For someone like me (who is most of the time, but not always, outside their ecosystem), the E3 show didn't convince me enough to jump the gun and get an XSX/GP and get super excited. For me, it ranged from B to C.

Many of the votes for A and D would be from hardcore fanboys. But anyway, my point was that when they had a good show, they got a B. When they had a bad show, they got a D. It's literally the same channel and audience -- which shows it's relatively impartial. So what you said (that they could have shown 50+ AAA games and still would have got a D) that's incorrect, as we have seen with the E3 2021 poll.
So Xbox fabulous E3 showing wasnt enough to excite you, but a couple of release dates for 2 Indies i have never even seen mentioned on here, a confirmation of a delay to a big game, a 60fps patch for HZD, gameplay for a rerelease of a game that people either love or hate, and a gameplay demo of a multiplatform game is enough to get you excited for Playstation?.

SSfox

To me it was hz2 release date, TMNT and DSDC. Everything else was a snooze fest.

The HZ1 60fps patch is nice but it should have been release before the PC port.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So Xbox fabulous E3 showing wasnt enough to excite you, but a couple of release dates for 2 Indies i have never even seen mentioned on here, a confirmation of a delay to a big game, a 60fps patch for HZD, gameplay for a rerelease of a game that people either love or hate, and a gameplay demo of a multiplatform game is enough to get you excited for Playstation?.
As I said, it didn't excite me enough to abandon my platform (if I were a single-platform user) and jump ship to Xbox because the games they did show gameplay of isn't something I play (e.g.,Forza. I don't even play Gran Turismo games), and the games that are more my type, e.g., Starfield, Fable, Hellblade 2, they didn't show gameplay footage for any of those games. That's why the show wasn't exciting for me.

I'll play Horizon Forbidden West, Jett, and Sifu. So this show was more in line with my tastes and gaming preferences.

Stuart360

As I said, it didn't excite me enough to abandon my platform (if I were a single-platform user) and jump ship to Xbox because the games they did show gameplay of isn't something I play (e.g.,Forza. I don't even play Gran Turismo games), and the games that are more my type, e.g., Starfield, Fable, Hellblade 2, they didn't show gameplay footage for any of those games. That's why the show wasn't exciting for me.

I'll play Horizon Forbidden West, Jett, and Sifu. So this show was more in line with my tastes and gaming preferences.
Which you are entitled to, so i'll shut up about it.:messenger_horns:

So dates for Sifu and Jett (had to google this last one), two games we wouldn't have heard of if they were multi.

Alpha of CoD ("for the testers")

New content for two years old Death Stranding, like new delivery systems and catapults :goog_horns::goog_horns::goog_horns:

Then the delay of the biggest "2021" Playstation exclusive and the update to 60 FPS for first Horizon: This last thing was by far the best Sony news in Gamescom, but that doesn't make it an excellent showing, not even a good one lol.

To me it was meh overall, would have been a good to excellent if they confirmed Horizon 2 for 2021, but even if it's just a few more months away, leaving Fall 2021 with absolutely nothing that's not playable on the other consoles is terrible

And im pretty sure they did that on this Gamescom conference just to be done with bad news and get ready for the next Sony big show that they desperately need soon.

But to be fair Microsoft's showing was even worse if that's possible, they pretty much confirmed they are scared to show Halo's campaign, which has to mean it's not looking good. Hell i'd even argue MS needs another showing previous to Game Awards, even if it's a small one, to show a solid Gameplay video of Halo, and stuff like Avowed too

I don't remember the complete Gamescom from 2020, but if i'm not wrong, i'd say Sony did better that year, with the new gameplay for Ratchet being the king of the show. For this Gamescom third parties "saved" the day, specially with the new Firaxis game, but im more excited about the showing of the game in September than about the announcement to be honest.

anthony2690

Banned
Not true, man. They had a much better E3 show, and here are the results. Same platform; same channel. That show was a B (could have been an A if they showed Redfall's and Starfield's raw gameplay footage), and this poll results accurately reflect that.

That was last year 2020?
What were the results for 2021?

Or am I misreading what you're saying?

Allandor

Generally, Sony has totally given up 2021 and that is more or less the current-gen launch year (yes I know + the 3 month in 2020). At least R&C came this year (much later than expected but it is out).
So far I don't know if this was all about the current virus or the typical overoptimistic roadmap that lead to those moves to 2022.
Btw, still don't expect GT7 in 2022. When you look at the roadmap of the studio and their launch dates (when they want to adapt new technologies) just count 2-3 years to their initial release date.

MS press conference so far ... well ... they really still don't take gamescom seriously. It is just another conference were nothing special gets announced. I really think those conferences are just no longer needed (including e3). They should just announce something when they think it is time.

That was last year 2020?
What were the results for 2021?

Or am I misreading what you're saying?
True, it was this one :

Guess there were a lot of hardcore fanboys voting XD , this said i'd go more for a solid B than an A, it had a lot of good content but it lacked a big surprise (doesn't help that Jeff Grubb spoils every single thing from MS's side.

Last edited:
Oh, my bad. I posted the wrong link. Thanks to O owandeseis for the correct tweet/poll.

It further proves my point :) If we get the good stuff (whether from PS or Xbox), most people will appreciate it. There's no major conspiracy against any company.
You still need to explain how a meh conference from Xbox (I agree, and I didn't even watch it) means that Playstation had an excellent Gamescom.

KAL2006

Banned
You think confirming a delay for a game and announcing release dates for a bunch of indie games and putting coming to PlayStation on a call of duty video is a good conference. Is this supposed to be like a troll thread because I can't seem to tell if there is sarcasm on the internet

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You still need to explain how a meh conference from Xbox (I agree, and I didn't even watch it) means that Playstation had an excellent Gamescom.
My reasons are in the OP :) PlayStation wasn't officially present at Gamescom, but PlayStation fans still ended up getting plenty of exciting and positive news.

anthony2690

Banned
True, it was this one :

Guess there were a lot of hardcore fanboys voting XD , this said i'd go more for a solid B than an A, it had a lot of good content but it lacked a big surprise (doesn't help that Jeff Grubb spoils every single thing from MS's side.

I think it was a genuinely good show myself.
I do think insiders spoiling stuff, really don't help though.
But not everyone follows them or sees this stuff.
So horizon 5 was a big surprise to most people still.
Whilst expected by myself and others here.

HoodWinked

This is like when Simone Biles didn't compete in the Olympics then the retarded sycophants started saying she's great for not competing.

In the same way Sony can do no wrong apparently.

Larvana

Can't wait for Deathloop's Director's Cut 😂
If there's a director's cut I'm pretty sure it will be xbox exclusive, so about that. Also dang, you seriously are a playstation fanboy if you think they "won" anything. I also see you get butt-hurt when you're called out. 😂😂😂

Last edited:

Jacknapes

As much as i enjoy the State of Plays that Sony put out, i'd prefer if they did one or two bigger shows a year akin to E3. Then use the State of Plays to fill gaps throughout the year.

I wouldn't say Sony won Gamescom, but it's nice to get a release date for Forbidden West.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As much as i enjoy the State of Plays that Sony put out, i'd prefer if they did one or two bigger shows a year akin to E3. Then use the State of Plays to fill gaps throughout the year.

I wouldn't say Sony won Gamescom, but it's nice to get a release date for Forbidden West.
That'd be ideal, yes. Just like last year. But they had 2 big shows last year, and perhaps that's why we haven't gotten one this year.

fermcr

Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
  • Sifu release date (Feb 2, 2022)
  • Horizon Forbidden West release date (Feb 18, 2022)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn 60 FPS patch announcement
  • Jett: The Far Shore release date (October 5, 2022) with more gameplay footage
  • Death Stranding: Director's Cut gameplay deep dive (freakin' jet packs!)
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?

Oh boy!
Fanboys will always try to delude themselves they have the best console or the console manufacture of choice had the best show, even if the console manufacturer doesn't show up.

That's what I call blind devotion!

Last edited:
This thread.....
deadpool-cable.gif
deadpool-suicide.gif

Last edited:

SenaxxNL

Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
  • Sifu release date (Feb 2, 2022)
  • Horizon Forbidden West release date (Feb 18, 2022)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn 60 FPS patch announcement
  • Jett: The Far Shore release date (October 5, 2022) with more gameplay footage
  • Death Stranding: Director's Cut gameplay deep dive (freakin' jet packs!)
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?

Not sure if you are trolling but oke...
  • So, the actual news was that Horizon Forbidden West is delayed tot 2022 even though they said multiple times it would be coming this year
  • A patch? This deserves his own announcement on a Gamescom event? Come on...
  • Ah yeah... Jett.... the games that everyone is waiting for
  • Death Stranding while it was a excellent game to my view, this is just a remaster/dlc
  • Call of Duty Vanguard which is releasing on all platforms on the same time, only because Sony gave them a bag of money they get an Alpha and DLC earlier...
I'm not saying that Xbox "Keep watching because later on we will show Forza Horizon 5 footage" had a great conference either...
  • Still no hellblade 2 footage
  • No co-op Halo just sucks and they put the info out a few days before gamescom so it won't be the main headline for gamecom

oldergamer

Is this a joke thread? Sorry but sony didnt come out looking better by showing no games. Imo opinion they blew thier load too early this year.

One friend of mine with both consoles says he hasnt turned his ps5 in months.

Xbox started too late but at least they have games hitting now and fall. It didnt make sense to launch big titles when they hardly had any consoles to sell.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, it was absolutely awful. Just like it was for everyone (IMO). Nothing new whatsoever. Release dates don't excite me (although it's good to finally have it), nor does COD or a strange "director's cut" of an old game nobody cares about anymore.

Last edited:
Seriously I don't understand what Sony should do. The PS5 is still sold out everywhere around the world, so why now make big announcements and not keep them for the time when sales slow down.

I know a lot of Microsoft fans here love to make fun of Sony, but they are doing everything right.
1. Microsoft buys every studio they can get, Sony is choosing much more carefully which studio is a perfect fit and also if they can produce games on the highest level.
2. Microsoft may announce more games, but I prefer if everyone of the first party games is an absolute blast and not mediocre to good.

mrBandoza

Neo Member
Hmmm I don't agree. I think neither had a good showing. To me it only felt like we got "World Premieres" of already known and shown titles.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Dont agree personally as I want a show just didn't like the format and pacing of the Xbox show.

For me the Forza deep dive trumped everything else we saw.

Plus I love limited edition consoles and controllers and the Halo hardware looks great.

Mr Moose

I zoned out yesterday after the Horizon delay, because the show was shit, did I miss something?
I hear they showed Genshin? But I'd already seen about 2.1 and Aloy before that, so I don't think it was anything new.
I don't care about Sifu release date (looks cool but I lack interest in what they've shown), don't know what Jett is and CoD looked like CoD with some climbing, but slower.

Top Bottom