• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation had an excellent Gamescom (without even showing up properly)

bender

What time is it?
ps5 is gonna have a stonking year but having to find some way to spin their big (cross platform) release not coming out until feb 2022 is a bit of a push..
hopefully more people try returnal….everyone please try returnal. It’s a true ps5 exclusive and it’s awesome

I'd say Sony's already delivered a good first year with three major PS5 exclusives including having something worthwhile at launch. I'm' not sure who is spinning the utterly predictable Horizon delay. And it continues to baffle me why people care if games are cross generation or not. There is plenty to be critical of Sony about (inconsistency and pricing of PS4 -> PS5 upgrades being my biggest gripe), but they support their platforms well (unless it is a handheld).

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
hey bro, honestly not wanting to argue. I couldn’t care about winning. ill Step up and apologise for even responding in the first place. Didn’t mean to cause some negative Nancy stuff.
I just wanted to try and highlight that we shouldn’t try to spin some praise to Sony for not even turning up for a year.

everyone knows I lean more to the Xbox side but I genuinely think the ps5 fucking rocks but there’s times to ask for more. I deffo think xboxes gamescom stream/show was ballsack and they deserve to be shitted on for it. Let’s demand more from all of them.

sony havent had a show for a year….a year man. It sucks.
No arguments, bro. All cool.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd say Sony's already delivered a good first year with three major PS5 exclusives including having something worthwhile at launch. I'm' not sure who is spinning the utterly predictable Horizon delay. And it continues to baffle me why people care if games are cross generation or not. There is plenty to be critical of Sony about (inconsistency and pricing of PS4 -> PS5 upgrades being my biggest gripe), but they support their platforms well (unless it is a handheld).

Completely agree, theyve had a good release schedule with returnal and ratchet. Plugging the holes with directors cuts is crappy for the price but the games are good so it’s decent. I’m happy with my ps5 purchase and I can wait till feb to play something new. This year is deffo for forza horizon and halo for me personally so it will be fine. I expect death loop will be great but I just want to hold out for that for the obvious reason.

I genuinely think that we need an event to give us an idea what’s on the slate for after horizon though. No way god of war makes Xmas 2022 imo. So what do they have for 9 months after feb?

you know what, they will talk when they are ready to. Pointless post hopefully they have something decent as like a Xmas PlayStation event.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Completely agree, theyve had a good release schedule with returnal and ratchet. Plugging the holes with directors cuts is crappy for the price but the games are good so it’s decent. I’m happy with my ps5 purchase and I can wait till feb to play something new. This year is deffo for forza horizon and halo for me personally so it will be fine. I expect death loop will be great but I just want to hold out for that for the obvious reason.

I genuinely think that we need an event to give us an idea what’s on the slate for after horizon though. No way god of war makes Xmas 2022 imo. So what do they have for 9 months after feb?

you know what, they will talk when they are ready to. Pointless post hopefully they have something decent as like a Xmas PlayStation event.

I bet GOW is closer than we think which is completely a gut reaction. I think they'll do a Director's Cut of TLOU2 to introduce Factions and maybe they'll do Left Behind expansion. I'm sure they'll have a mid-tier release like Returnal type of release next year too.

None of that is particularly interesting to me but I'm good with Demon Souls/R&C/multi-platform games until GT7 hits.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I bet GOW is closer than we think which is completely a gut reaction. I think they'll do a Director's Cut of TLOU2 to introduce Factions and maybe they'll do Left Behind expansion. I'm sure they'll have a mid-tier release like Returnal type of release next year too.

None of that is particularly interesting to me but I'm good with Demon Souls/R&C/multi-platform games until GT7 hits.
I think next year is pretty packed.
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Forspoken (originally slated for January 2022 so will likely make 2022)
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Sifu
  • Stray
  • Little Devil Inside (🤞)
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War
In addition, we may also get one or all of the following: TLOU Remake, TLOU 2 Factions, Firewalk's IP.

And these are only the games we know about.

bender

What time is it?
I think next year is pretty packed.
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • Forspoken (originally slated for January 2022 so will likely make 2022)
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Sifu
  • Stray
  • Little Devil Inside (🤞)
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • God of War
In addition, we may also get one or all of the following: TLOU Remake, TLOU 2 Factions, Firewalk's IP.

And these are only the games we know about.

Ghostwire Tokyo looks cool. Sifu should be my jam but I didn't really like Absolver. Never assume a Gran Turismo release date. I'll be happy next year with Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild 2.

Cyborg

The whole show was a big letdown.............trailer after trailer after trailer. Geoff didn't even react to the trailers and went straight to the next one.
Don't let me start about those insane awards

Wizz-Art

Sony: Oh shit we have absolutely nothing to show...

Sony Defence Force: Because they showed absolutely nothing...they won!

4b1wiJz.gif

Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
  • Sifu release date (Feb 2, 2022)
  • Horizon Forbidden West release date (Feb 18, 2022)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn 60 FPS patch announcement
  • Jett: The Far Shore release date (October 5, 2022) with more gameplay footage
  • Death Stranding: Director's Cut gameplay deep dive (freakin' jet packs!)
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?
This can't be a serious post?

Orpheum

I just want an actual conference with new announcements and stuff. But PLEASE after the release of Deathloop, i can't take another trailer for that game

But OT: it was alright, For me in particular the Horizon patch is great news

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
So 2 games no one has ever heard of, a *delay* of their big holiday game, a re-release of an old game that's already playable on the console, and the multiplatform call of duty, which this forum hates......

Did I miss something? In what world is that great? Imagine spinning a delay as "yes they gave us a release date!" Hahaha

Shmunter

Sony may be top dog, but their complacency is most definitely losing mindshare. My boy along with countless of his friends - ps4 gamers for years; are all going out and getting gaming laptops.

All the f2p stuff, cheap games, mods., being able to never leave their bedrooms It’s winning them over amd Sony seemingly is just cruising along.

Markio128

It’s clear that Sony themselves have nothing worthwhile to show just yet and I’m not really interested in what may or may not be coming out in 2 years. In fact, there is only one game that I would like an update for and that is GT7. Everything else I can understand, but having no recent update on their flagship racer is a real stinger, especially since what they last showed looked fairly polished.

There are either problems at the mill (with GT7), or Sony want to keep everything locked until nearer the release date.

ripeavocado

Banned
Amidst all the talk that PlayStation has been so quiet and that they need an event, I think PlayStation had the best Gamescom showing -- and that was without any big official presence. PlayStation fans got:
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard gameplay with a reminder of the exclusive PlayStation Alpha this weekend
All great, positive news. And that's without PlayStation actually showing up with their big reveals (ala God of War or HFW new gameplay footage) or other big new game announcements.

This may or may not fill the void of a big one-hour showcase but it still softens the blow. No one was expecting much from PlayStation at Gamescom, so everything was a nice welcome surprise (at least for me). Even a mid-sized State of Play in early September, as has been rumored which now looks even more credible than ever, would be a nice way to tie it all up for this year.

Question: Do you guys feel the same way? Or would you be happier with a relatively low-quality (CGI trailers, no gameplay, padded fluff, etc.) but a big one-hour show from Sony anyway?

Holy shit you are counting a patch on a years old game???

How can you people live with such low standards?

Horrible showing and nothing but remakes this year. They are taking a huge dump on everyone who got a PS5 at launch like me. I got a SXS now, at least MS is finally delivering THIS YEAR.
Yeah and they don't have anything the first part of the year like always.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Everything.

MS had a baller E3.

Everyone knows status of their games. And a lot of them are super exciting.

This was merely a support show.

You trying to take a dig on that is just desperation.
Calm down, bro. No one's taking a dig at your favorite company.

Someone mentioned that Xbox had a better showing than PlayStation during Gamescom. I disagreed, shared my reasoning, and shared a poll that shows the majority has similar views as mine. You getting offended for literally 0 reasons. You're saying that Geoff shouldn't have conducted that poll, the majority of the people shouldn't have voted D, and I shouldn't have shared statistical results here to support what I was saying.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Seriously? They showcased a two indie games, released a 60FPS update for a 4.5 year old game, announced a delay to an eagerly awaited game, showed some DLC, and Call of Duty is multiplatform and pales in comparison to Battlefield this year.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe Xbox did any better (unless you are lucky enough to get that amazing looking XSX) but it was a rather meh event for both of them.

Stuart360

Calm down, bro. No one's taking a dig at your favorite company.

Someone mentioned that Xbox had a better showing than PlayStation during Gamescom. I disagreed, shared my reasoning, and shared a poll that shows the majority has similar views as mine. You getting offended for literally 0 reasons. You're saying that Geoff shouldn't have conducted that poll, the majority of the people shouldn't have voted D, and I shouldn't have shared statistical results here to support what I was saying.
Oh come on now. Microsoft could of just shown off 50 AAA games, and said they are all hitting this year, and will be free, and that 'poll' probably wouldnt of looked much different.
Its about as usefull as the consistent 'Should i buy XSX or PS5?' threads we get on here.

Oh come on now. Microsoft could of just shown off 50 AAA games, and said they are all hitting this year, and will be free, and that 'poll' probably wouldnt of looked much different.
Its about as usefull as the consistent 'Should i buy XSX or PS5?' threads we get on here.
Polls are utter useless when it comes to fanboy products and one group is significantly larger.

FranXico

I wouldn't call an Horizon FW release date slipping into 2022 excellent, but the patch for the first game is nice.

It's alright.

Pallas

Sony is having a good year and they should be commended but it’s ok to say that their “showing” wasn’t that great at Gamescom, especially when they didn’t even put forth the effort to have a proper show. It’s like with some of you, Sony can’t mess up at all, there’s always a justifiable reason for whatever choice they made.

Microsoft’s wasn’t anything special either but it was enjoyable because they put some effort.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not true, man. They had a much better E3 show, and here are the results. Same platform; same channel. That show was a B (could have been an A if they showed Redfall's and Starfield's raw gameplay footage), and this poll results accurately reflect that.

Stuart360

Sony is having a good year and they should be commended but it’s ok to say that their “showing” wasn’t that great at Gamescom, especially when they didn’t even put forth the effort to have a proper show. It’s like with some of you, Sony can’t mess up at all, there’s always a justifiable reason for whatever choice they made.

Microsoft’s wasn’t anything special either but it was enjoyable because they put some effort.
Yep, and thats what i meant by my 'stockholm syndrome' post.
It gets tiresome. I mean could you imagine if Xbox hadnt had an event for over a year, then Riky or someone made a thread like this?. He'd probably be run off the forum.

WitchHunter

This can't be serious, right?

Nah, people WANT a conference. A proper one, with new games, trailers of new games and so on. While it's nice to have SOME anouncements, this doesn't change the fact that it's high time to hype players - and I'm saying that as an already hyped person ;)
Fuck shows. A big show depletes the reserves. Everything is pushed out in 1-2 days and then comes the information desert.

Top Bottom