• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience event December

I don't particularly see God of War being all the way into Fall 2022.

I know Covid put the hurt on some things, but GoW originally had a 2021 date. An entire extra year? Oof, indeed if so.

I'm going for a triple punch:

Horizon: February
GT7: March
God of War: April or May

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think the next show will be in February

They can show PSVR 2, launching Fall 2022, announce PSVR 2 versions of some of their existing games (e.g., Gran Turismo 7, which would be releasing next month), and also reveal/show games releasing in Fall 2022 and H1 2023.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I know Covid put the hurt on some things, but GoW originally had a 2021 date. An entire extra year? Oof, indeed if so.

I think God of War will be ready soon, but Sony may just delay it to September/October anyway to further polish it and to combat Holiday titles by their competitors.

The game looked super polished and almost ready in the trailer. They showed lots of areas and different biomes. All the animations looked great. I don't think it's not ready or will be soon.

Hunnybun

Apparently Horizon ended up being delayed pretty much a year from its original intended release date. Deathloop and Kena both ended up with 10 month delays in the end.

Plus Sony already have Forpsoken and Ghostwire releasing in Spring next year, so it's arguably already too crowded. I think GOWR will be some time July to September, and hopefully FFXVI will make it towards the end of that year.

And then that would be that for 2022, probably, given that would be 6 big exclusives in a year.

WellSheet

I think God of War will be ready soon, but Sony may just delay it to September/October anyway to further polish it and to combat Holiday titles by their competitors.

The game looked super polished and almost ready in the trailer. They showed lots of areas and different biomes. All the animations looked great. I don't think it's not ready or will be soon.
I would totally agree - but Sony’s track record the last few years has been that they don’t seem to care about releasing BIG AAA blockbusters in Holiday. Death Stranding is the only one that kinda-sorta ticks that box in last few years.

But!!!

they do seem to release games in April and June. So, Forspoken and Ghostwire (timed 3rd party console exclusives) are listed for “spring” which fits that time frame. It song is keen to at least market and push Forspoken, they’d leave GOW to another place/time so they don’t saturate the market too heavily.

so…you may be right, but maybe July like GoT? That seems odd for GOW but, the reality is games can launch anytime of year now and if they’re marquee titles - they’ll sell regardless.

Well, if they want to completely destroy XBOX, they just have to announce 3 "Abandoned" games.

1. Silent Hills from Kojima Productions:
Well we all know the rumors, I myself is a strong believer, although I agree that the thing went on for far too long. But I mean Kojima is intentionally trolling people with some tweets, like the recent one where he is seen preparing something on the day of the showcase. I don't think he is a mean person to like to tease people without anything at the end.

2. Metal Gear Solid Remake from Bluepoint:
This one is highly rumored and I think the most likely. It is sure possible to reach an agreement with Konami, since it would be a win win for both sides.

3. Castlevania from From Software:
Okay this is something unlikely. But who which studio would be a better fit to reinvent Castlevania and there are a lot of strong rumors about a From Software PS5 exclusive title which is said not to be Bloodborne 2. So the dream is kind of alive.
I want to believe. What are the odds of Konami holding it's own event to bring back these IPs, or a joint event with Sony?

SaucyJack

Well, if they want to completely destroy XBOX, they just have to announce 3 "Abandoned" games.

1. Silent Hills from Kojima Productions:
Well we all know the rumors, I myself is a strong believer, although I agree that the thing went on for far too long. But I mean Kojima is intentionally trolling people with some tweets, like the recent one where he is seen preparing something on the day of the showcase. I don't think he is a mean person to like to tease people without anything at the end.

2. Metal Gear Solid Remake from Bluepoint:
This one is highly rumored and I think the most likely. It is sure possible to reach an agreement with Konami, since it would be a win win for both sides.

3. Castlevania from From Software:
Okay this is something unlikely. But who which studio would be a better fit to reinvent Castlevania and there are a lot of strong rumors about a From Software PS5 exclusive title which is said not to be Bloodborne 2. So the dream is kind of alive.

Tbh I don’t believe Sony has any intention to “destroy Xbox” and it is not something that even the most ardent PlayStation fan should want.

I don’t think these three would destroy Xbox anyway, maintain PlayStation's market leadership sure, but Xbox have their own strategy. I’m quite comfortable with it being different.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
We definitely already know all the heavy hitters for at least the next 12 months.
So what could they actually show in another event? At best it`s more gameplay from GoW, HoZ, and GT7 and worst case they`ll be showing off Indies and 3rd party again, which may be good, too but always feel kinda out of place in a Sony presentation. Maybe their new VR hardware? I really don`t know what they could possibly still have up their sleeve and I hope they`ll not make the same mistakes as MS who had way too many shows just for the sake of having a show without anything to actually..show (I´m looking at the pointless cgi trailers of wolverine and spider man 2).

With the release calendar we already have I kinda don`t see the point.......
The Spider-man 2 and Wolverine trailers brought a lot of hype

I like when these companies show their roadmap. I don't mind them showing games early as long as there's still new games to play in the present

Elios83

GoW is targeting first half 2022 according to well known insiders on other message boards.
Probably May-June. Sony was not kidding when they wanted Horizon, GT7 and GOW as late 2021 titles. Delays are reasonable.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Tbh I don’t believe Sony has any intention to “destroy Xbox” and it is not something that even the most ardent PlayStation fan should want.

I don’t think these three would destroy Xbox anyway, maintain PlayStation's market leadership sure, but Xbox have their own strategy. I’m quite comfortable with it being different.
Yeah if Xbox can survive an abhorrent 3-4 years and a disastrous launch with no games for a year, nothing will destroy them.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would totally agree - but Sony’s track record the last few years has been that they don’t seem to care about releasing BIG AAA blockbusters in Holiday. Death Stranding is the only one that kinda-sorta ticks that box in last few years.

But!!!

they do seem to release games in April and June. So, Forspoken and Ghostwire (timed 3rd party console exclusives) are listed for “spring” which fits that time frame. It song is keen to at least market and push Forspoken, they’d leave GOW to another place/time so they don’t saturate the market too heavily.

so…you may be right, but maybe July like GoT? That seems odd for GOW but, the reality is games can launch anytime of year now and if they’re marquee titles - they’ll sell regardless.
Yeah, they usually reserve Q4 for third-party deals (which I think is good business). They did release Spider-Man in September though. And now releasing Deathloop in September. I think Sony wouldn't mind September, but anything beyond that (Q4), they would just rather delay it.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not sure if sony being invested in VR is a good idea.
Ive used VR quite a bit, i had a quest 2 and I have a PSVR. The holodeck like experience of quest 2 because its untethered is pretty incredible but most games make me feel sick, along with the people I know also feel sick when playing VR. Vr will be niche until the sickness and uncomfortableness problem is eradicated.
Also with Sony having devs make PSVR2 games its going to mean less TV games where like 95% of gamers prefer to play.

LimanimaPT

Not sure if sony being invested in VR is a good idea.
Ive used VR quite a bit, i had a quest 2 and I have a PSVR. The holodeck like experience of quest 2 because its untethered is pretty incredible but most games make me feel sick, along with the people I know also feel sick when playing VR. Vr will be niche until the sickness and uncomfortableness problem is eradicated.
Also with Sony having devs make PSVR2 games its going to mean less TV games where like 95% of gamers prefer to play.
Let's hope there's some kind of solution to the motion sickness problem.

Javthusiast

Banned
Finna some more Deathloop gameplay. Can't wait.

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That leak says it's a remake... I have trouble getting too excited for those; but apparently according to reddit comments some song from Metal Gear is gaelic.

MGS 3 remake seems a given at this point.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Metal Gear Solid's end song is in Gaelic, the same song played in Sons of the Patriots when Snake arrives back at the heliport. So that's a possible link.

Last edited:

ElCasual

That leak says it's a remake... I have trouble getting too excited for those; but apparently according to reddit comments some song from Metal Gear is gaelic.

So is not a Playstation exclusive.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Holy fuck, a song in Irish and remake... MGS Remake surely. Hook it to my fucking veins. Why are they writing another Irish song? More content I imagine.

yurinka

This rumor makes sense but it can be only a fair guess. They trademarketd again PS Experience, and back in the past this event was handled in December.

After several Sony events mentioning PSVR2 won't be showcased there, some day they should reveal it and if PS Experience is real for this December, would make sense to showcase it there. And if PSVR2 gets released late 2022 as it seems, late 2021 would be a good moment to showcase it.

Regarding game announcemets, it would make sense to reveal a handfuld of PSVR2 games with the device. Astro seems a fair bet because it also acted as PSVR1 and PS5 showcase. Then Wipeout, it got Wipeout VR but it was an adaptation instead of a full game, they seem somewhat interested in the IP because they are making a mobile game and they recently acquired Firesprite+Fabrik, who have a lot of former Liverpool Studios/Evolution/Bizarre Creations staff so are great candidates to work on it.

But for what we know from Firesprite current projects they said to be working on two AAA games, we got some info from them at job offrs and don't match Wipeout. In fact, one of them could be Horizon VR they are rumored to be making with London Studio (which also could be announced there). Fabrik was also working with Firesprite in a game, that we don't know is one of these two. If it's a 3rd, it could be Wipeout.

Other than these projects, until now the new Sony 2022 games we know were games originally planned for 2021: GoW, HFW and GT7. So Sony should have games originally planned for 2022, some of them maybe now delayed to 2023 (Spider-Man 2 may be one of htem?). We also know they have some unannounced games that started to be developed around 2018 or beyond, so could be announced here for a 2022/2023 release:
-Firewalk's game
-Guerrilla's unannounced project
-Arrowhead next game (if published by Sony)
-TLOU1 PS5 remake / TLOU2 PS5 (maybe bundled in a TLOU2 Director's Cut?)
-Uncharted spinoff (being developed by ND+Bend until Bend moved to a new IP, if it wasn't cancelled)
-London Studio next game (rumored to be Horizon VR and being codeveloped by Firesprite)
-Dreams PC port announcement to be released somewhere after its 2nd birthday?
-MLB 22

It may be too early for Bend's new IP, Haven's game, Deviation's game, Sucker Punch's next game (GoT2?), Kojipro's next game (Death Stranding 2?), SSM Cory's game (seems he took a long rest after GoW 2018), Media Molecule's next game.

They also could show the first trailer of the Uncharted movie, TLOU and Twisted Metal tv shows and who knows if some randome anime they may have in the works using some PS IP.

JaksGhost

Holy fuck, a song in Irish and remake... MGS Remake surely. Hook it to my fucking veins. Why are they writing another Irish song? More content I imagine.
They could be updating the music score in a similar way Bluepoint did with the Demon's Soul remake.

bitbydeath

Game awards is far more likely, if real at all.
Sony were planning on showing off PSVR2 this year which I’d imagine needs it’s own show, so unless that has been quietly pushed back there’s a good chance of PSX happening.

Sidenote: They said it was to be shown in the summer so already has met with some delays but we’re yet to see how far.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned

YES!!!!

Must drop tribute.

I am absolutely sure Sony has tons of stuff to show, but keep some of them in their vault to announce later. As already stated there are a ton of games which we also already know are in development, but we haven't heard much about.

Let's look back at the PS5 showcase, we have been shown only 2 new things. Actually I still think Sony may have shown only the Wolverine game, but they are afraid of all the conversations asking if that means no Spiderman 2 in the near future, so announcing Spiderman 2 was a necessary. So in the end we only learnt what Insomniac is working on, but nothing else apart from the already announced games.

But I do get Sony, I mean why dropping some bombs now? What purpose would that have? You throw bombs when you can increase console sales, but it's not possible at the moment because the PS5 is sold out anyway everywhere, so the smart move is too keep as much as possible in the vault, only announce the bare minimum and keep the rest for yourself until console sales decline.

MAtgS

Alright, Smash is over. Time to finally announce All Stars 2 with new fighters like Cloud, Sora, and Joker!

Top Bottom