• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Experience event December

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This is good to see. I been complaining about Sony being quiet forever. I hope this one is a bit better than the one earlier this week. I originally gave that one a D....I'm revising it to a C. One expects gameplay and we basically got very little. Also was butthurt because no Bloodborne 2. But if you look at what was shown on paper, I think a D is a bit harsh.

God of War, looked like last gen, which is disappointing especially when comparing to Horizon's showing
Wolverine is too early for gameplay
Spiderman 2 too early for gameplay
What else did they show 1st party? I can't remember, probably because nothing really impacted me more than the KOTOR Remake.
3rd party was the hero of the conference and still I remember complaining halfway through that as well.

I am interested in seeing how PSVR2 has come along though. I really hope this is the showcase that makes me want one.

Last edited:
I truly doubt it. I do not see them introducing VR2 before 2023 at the earliest, so I am expecting a VR related showcase around December of next year. Plus, why produce more shows and display more titles at this point in time, when the demand for your product is so strong, you will not be able to meet it for another 12 months or so?

Last edited:

ManaByte

no wonder Hasan has been quiet for a while.
The best is yet to come.
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

I think it would make sense, I mean they obviously hold a lot of stuff back at the showcase. I mean from the first party we only have seen the following:

1. God of War Ragnarok: They have a lot of more stuff to show before release.

2. Spiderman 2 and Wolverine: Okay, we know now what Insomniac is busy with.

3. Gran Turismo 3: It's not like the studio is making any other games.

If you see that list, we didn't see much at the showcase, all the rest was filler / third party stuff.

And that's it, we didn't see anything from their other studios.In addition Horizon was missing and they will surely show more this year. There are also other stuff, which are already confirmed but not revealed: The second game from Santa Monica studios, Last of us part 2 multiplayer, Second Guerilla studios game, new Bluepoint studio game...

So I think there is a ton of already announced but also still unannounced games to show. So I would be very surprised if that is the last we heard from Sony this year.

Well, if they want to completely destroy XBOX, they just have to announce 3 "Abandoned" games.

1. Silent Hills from Kojima Productions:
Well we all know the rumors, I myself is a strong believer, although I agree that the thing went on for far too long. But I mean Kojima is intentionally trolling people with some tweets, like the recent one where he is seen preparing something on the day of the showcase. I don't think he is a mean person to like to tease people without anything at the end.

2. Metal Gear Solid Remake from Bluepoint:
This one is highly rumored and I think the most likely. It is sure possible to reach an agreement with Konami, since it would be a win win for both sides.

3. Castlevania from From Software:
Okay this is something unlikely. But who which studio would be a better fit to reinvent Castlevania and there are a lot of strong rumors about a From Software PS5 exclusive title which is said not to be Bloodborne 2. So the dream is kind of alive.

ElCasual

Looks like nobody remenber the last PSX. A fun talk couch between devs and Layden, 0 games and the host that all GAF loves Greg Miller.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Sometime in December…

‘And tonight, we’re announcing that from RIGHT NOW you can install the SSDs you all bought back in summer because I’m pleased to announce that TONIGHT we are releasing the firmware update’

[APPLAUSE]

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bro,

Naughty Dog's new IP
Uncharted
TLOU remake
Final Fantasy XVI
Sony Bend's new IP
Sony London's new AAA game
Lost Soul Aside
Pixelopus new game
Deviation Games PS5 exclusive
Firesprite's new game
TLOU 2 Factions
Haven's PS5 exclusive
Also, just FireSprite has three games in production, by the way.

Kokoloko85

Its gonna be Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, GT7, Horizon 2, God of War. And a whole bunch more 3rd party games.

PSVR 2 can really wait another year, so many people can hardly get a PS5. Whats the point releasing it when PS5’s still arent in store

Bkdk

More character designs like project eve, or at least support more 3rd parties with artstyle like theirs, then maybe I'll be excited.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’m ready but I won’t get hyped this time. I thought Sony were really gonna go all out last week after what felt like ages with nothing. Still ready for them to show more.

SaucyJack

I can't see them having their own event right around the Game Awards. Makes no sense.

I think they'll probably show a Horizon trailer there, seems like a safe bet. MAYBE we get Bluepoint acquisition and MGS reveal too if we're very lucky.

Otherwise I think it's gonna be PSVR2 stuff next year then another showcase sometime in the summer, once their spate of spring games is done.

Notwithstanding that this was the timing of previous PSX events in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 I think you’re putting way too much store in importance of The Game Awards.

They might drop a trailer or two on TGA but for a proper 60-90 min show they do like to do their own thing.

Two questions on this for me:

1. Do Playstation have more to show?
2. If yes, what timing makes sense?

So IMO the answer to the first question is an emphatic yes. We know they plan to reveal PSVR2, we know that there are 25 or so first party projects in development according to Ryan & Hulst interviews, and we know this makes sense purely based on the studios we haven't heard from yet this gen.

And if it’s a yes that kinda leaves you three slots - Tokyo Games Show, a random event not tied to anything, and a PSX in December.

So yeah, PSX makes sense …… but I ain’t joining a hype train until it’s announced.

Last edited:

Duchess

Okay, I really think we all need to stop with the Knack 3 stuff. Some Sony employee is likely looking at these forums and thinking:

"Wow, Gaffers are pretty hot for a third game. We should definitely do it."

And then it'll be all our fault. Especially yours.

ZywyPL

Banned
After recent showcase I have no hopes for anything meaningful when it comes to games, there will most likely be Elden Ring, HFW and GT7 given they'll be just weeks/few months away, so it'll be the last moment to show them off, but other that that I can't think of anything that's on the radar after 2021 ends, all 3rd party heavy hitters will be already released, maybe some indies? I'm not aware if something's interesting is coming in Q1-Q2.

But PSVR2 indeed comes to mind given PSX events were used to reveal new PS hardware in the past, and December would be a perfect moment considering a few months later GT7 will launch, which will undoubtedly support VR (hopefully full campaign this time around).

LMJ

Okay, I really think we all need to stop with the Knack 3 stuff. Some Sony employee is likely looking at these forums and thinking:

Haters going to hate

200.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

Lmao I think that's how we got Knack 2 lol

SJRB

Gold Member

If making Knack keeps Mark Cherny happy and on board they can release a new Knack every 6 months for all I care.

SaucyJack

🔥 Yep, I saw that. I was a little lenient with this list. Guerrilla Games also has another AAA title and so does Santa Monica and Insomniac Games 💪

Just trying to summarise for my own benefit, but there's obviously a shitload of things that could be announced at such an event …….

1st Party

PSVR
- announced but few details.

Bend - no project announced, Days Gone released in 2019
Firesprite - 250-employee studio with no project announced, three reportedly in production.
Guerrilla Games - reported to have two projects, Horizon announced, second project to come.
Housemarque - Returnal launched in 2021, not expecting anything more this year.
Insomniac - three games since launch (incl Spider-Man remaster) and two announced. Insanely productive studios but wouldn’t expect anything additional other than, maybe, Sunset Overdrive remaster.
London Studio - no project announced, probably working on VR, last game Blood & Truth in 2019
Media Molecule - no project announced. Strangely quiet last gen giving us only Dreams and Tearaway remastered.
Naughty Dog - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection announced (but are ND working it?), Factions MP sort of confirmed but not announced, TLOU remasters rumoured, but this is a big multi-team studio there will be another major project in flight, possibly going since UC4 was completed.
Nixxes - support studio, not likely to have their own projects
Pixelopus - no project announced last game, Concrete Genie, launched in 2019
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 7 launching March '22. One game studio, unlikely to be anything else.
San Diego Studio - produces MLB The Show annually. Usually good for a few collaborations though, nothing currently announced on that front.
Santa Monica Studio - God of War Ragnarok announced, second Cory Barlog project not yet announced.
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima DC released in 2021, no other project announced.
Team Asobi - no project announced. Astrobot pack-in released with PS5.
XDEV - oversights third party projects.

Two additional studios appear to exist i.e. San Mateo and Malaysia albeit the latter may be a support studio. A new Japanese studio is heavily rumoured to have been established alongside Team Asobi in Tokyo.

So ultimately there could easily be a dozen first party projects to be announced.

3rd Party Partnerships (2nd Party)

- Square Enix, Final Fantasy XVI, Forspoken, Final Fantasy VII remake part 2
- KojiPro next project
- Haven (Jade Raymond) project
- Firewalk Studios, MP project with ex-Bungie devs
- Deviation Games, ex-COD Devs.
- Bluepoint Games, in the absence of an acquisition announcement I’ll leave them here, presumably another project is in the works.

Obviously there’s a ton of rumours but no point in talking Abandoned, Metal Gear, Silent Hill unless they’re announced.

Anything missing?

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Just trying to summarise for my own benefit, but there's obviously a shitload of things that could be announced at such an event …….

1st Party

PSVR

Firesprite - 250-employee studio with no project announced, three reportedly in production.
Guerrilla Games - reported to have two projects, Horizon announced, second project to come.
Insomniac - three games since launch (incl Spider-Man remaster) and two announced. Insanely productive studios but wouldn’t expect anything additional other than, maybe, Sunset Overdrive remaster.
London Studio - no project announced, probably working on VR, last game Blood & Truth in 2019
Media Molecule - no project announced. Strangely quiet last gen giving us only Dreams and Tearaway remastered.
Naughty Dog - Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves collection announced (but are ND working it?), Factions MP sort of confirmed but not announced, TLOU remasters rumoured, but this is a big multi-team studio there will be another major project in flight, possibly going since UC4 was completed.
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 7 launching March '22. One game studio, unlikely to be anything else.
San Diego Studio - produces MLB The Show annually. Usually good for a few collaborations though, nothing currently announced on that front.
Santa Monica Studio - God of War Ragnarok announced, second Cory Barlog project not yet announced.
Sucker Punch - Ghost of Tsushima DC released in 2021, no other project announced.

Two additional studios appear to exist i.e. San Mateo and Malaysia albeit the latter may be a support studio. A new Japanese studio is heavily rumoured to have been established alongside Team Asobi in Tokyo.

So ultimately there could easily be a dozen first party projects to be announced.

- KojiPro next project
- Bluepoint Games, in the absence of an acquisition announcement I’ll leave them here, presumably another project is in the works.

Obviously there’s a ton of rumours but no point in talking Abandoned, Metal Gear, Silent Hill unless they’re announced.

Anything missing?
I think that's everything though Insomniac Games has one more unannounced project as they're currently hiring for mp so it's probably a shooter

KAL2006

Banned
They need to do a few things actually

Final push for Horizon as it's releasing in 2 months.

A gameplay demo segment for God of War Ragnarok with a release date or even a approximate release date e.g Autumn 2022.

Another look at Gran Turismo 7 as release is near.

Announce FireSprites game as development of one of there games is quite far

Arrowhead Games New IP that they have been working non for a long time, perhaps a Sony published game

Last of Us 2 Remastered and Factions revealed

Final Fantasy 16

Bluepoint games aquisation and teaser of there next game

VR stuff, Gran Turismo 7 VR mode, Astrobot 2, Resident Evil 8 VR mode, GTAV to have VR, London VR project etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

1st Party

PSVR

- KojiPro next project

Anything missing?

Well considering they opened this last showcase with a Korean-produced title, it'd be a big omission to not take note all the stuff coming out of Asia that has been trailered already.

Obviously with TGS coming up these are likely to get shown there, but we're overdue updates on the two Cygames titles (both of which have looked spectacular) plus many of the China Hero Project titles and more Korean stuff like the recently unveiled Project Magnum.

And of course then there's any exclusives (timed or otherwise) from the well-known Japanese third-parties.

Haggard

Banned
We definitely already know all the heavy hitters for at least the next 12 months.
So what could they actually show in another event? At best it`s more gameplay from GoW, HoZ, and GT7 and worst case they`ll be showing off Indies and 3rd party again, which may be good, too but always feel kinda out of place in a Sony presentation. Maybe their new VR hardware? I really don`t know what they could possibly still have up their sleeve and I hope they`ll not make the same mistakes as MS who had way too many shows just for the sake of having a show without anything to actually..show (I´m looking at the pointless cgi trailers of wolverine and spider man 2).

With the release calendar we already have I kinda don`t see the point.......

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Well considering they opened this last showcase with a Korean-produced title, it'd be a big omission to not take note all the stuff coming out of Asia that has been trailered already.

Obviously with TGS coming up these are likely to get shown there, but we're overdue updates on the two Cygames titles (both of which have looked spectacular) plus many of the China Hero Project titles and more Korean stuff like the recently unveiled Project Magnum.

And of course then there's any exclusives (timed or otherwise) from the well-known Japanese third-parties.

Good point. I’d included the Square Enix exclusives but you’re right there are more.

Tbh I didn’t think Project Eve was exclusive as the original announcement included Xbox.

SaucyJack

We definitely already know all the heavy hitters for at least th next 12 months.
So what could they actually show in another event? At best it`s more gameplay from GoW, HoZ, and GT7 and worst case they`ll be showing off Indies and 3rd party again, which may be good, too but always feel kinda out of place in a Sony presentation. Maybe their new VR hardware? I really don`t know what they could possibly still have up their sleeve and I hope they`ll not make the same mistakes as MS who had way too many shows just for the sake of having a show without anything to actually..show.

1. Do we though? We have the early 2022 titles but probably not everything beyond.
2. A December event absolutely would be an appropriate place to start showing more of the 2022/23 titles.

Star-Lord

A lot of people keep referencing a remake of Resident Evil 4, but where are they getting this from? I’m aware Capcom are working on a VR version of the game with slightly upgraded visuals, but this is the first I’ve heard of a remake.

Haggard

Banned
1. Do we though? We have the early 2022 titles but probably not everything beyond.
2. A December event absolutely would be an appropriate place to start showing more of the 2022/23 titles.
There`s only Naughty Dog with the MP part of LoU2 left. Besides them there aren`t any big first party studios left that could have big projects ready for 2022 , and showing 2023 titles in the winter of 2021 is just pointless as it`s too early for real gameplay and CGI trailers are just a waste of time.
I see the chances of further Blockbuster first party announcements for 2022 as slim to nonexistent.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

There`s only Naughty Dog with the MP part of LoU2 left. Bbesides them there aren`t any big first party studios left that could have projects ready for 2022 , and showing 2023 titles in the winter of 2021 is just pointless as it`s too early for real gameplay and CGI trailers are just a waste of time.
I see the chances of further Blockbuster first party announcements for 2022 as slim to nonexistent.

Well that’s clearly not true as I demonstrated a few posts earlier.

But you do you. 👍

Haggard

Banned
Well that’s clearly not true as I demonstrated a few posts earlier.
You spelled "in my personal opinion" wrong.
With development cycles north of 3 years for big games I don`t see any candidates with a noteworthy trackrecord that could have something big ready to release 2022 in your list.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good point. I’d included the Square Enix exclusives but you’re right there are more.

Tbh I didn’t think Project Eve was exclusive as the original announcement included Xbox.

I'm wondering if Sony are adjusting to compensate for MS and their GamePass strategy. If you think about it, the whole "Netflix of gaming" offering relies on a steady influx of new titles to the service - they really cannot afford to step off the gas for long or else risk losing momentum and subs.

This in turn suggests they will be looking further afield than is normal for Xbox to procure content and I think you can see this already with them highlighting stuff like CrossfireX and Bright Memory Infinite in their showcases.

This might explain why Sony are trickling out announcements across multiple smaller shows, basically they need to compete for mindshare all year round as the ecosystem with the most new games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
With development cycles north of 3 years for big games I don`t see any candidates with a noteworthy trackrecord that could have something big ready to release 2022 in your list.

"We're looking for a Senior Designer to join an established team working on an exciting multiplayer shooter project which is in the later stages of production."

Elios83

We definitely already know all the heavy hitters for at least the next 12 months.
So what could they actually show in another event? At best it`s more gameplay from GoW, HoZ, and GT7 and worst case they`ll be showing off Indies and 3rd party again, which may be good, too but always feel kinda out of place in a Sony presentation. Maybe their new VR hardware? I really don`t know what they could possibly still have up their sleeve and I hope they`ll not make the same mistakes as MS who had way too many shows just for the sake of having a show without anything to actually..show (I´m looking at the pointless cgi trailers of wolverine and spider man 2).

Given how we don't know the whole PSVR2 lineup that is launching next year and we haven't seen anything new about Naughty Dog and many other studios it's clear that no we haven't seen all for next year.
There are also big third party exclusives like FFXVI that are heading towards completion and missed the showcase last week.
Not to mention that other projects scheduled for 2023 (FF7R part two?) might be announced as well.
First half of 2022 lineup is pretty much set in stone with Horizon, GT7 and God of War.

SaucyJack

Whatever makes you happy. 👍

Hunnybun

I know Sony would find me terribly prosaic, but it seems to me that the perfect time to have their next big show would be June 2022, or exactly when E3 is.

They'll have released all their big early 2022 titles already. It would be a good time for a deep dive into GOWR and Final Fantasy XVI. It would be the right time to reveal their other 2023 games and to show proper footage of Spider-Man 2.

Top Bottom