• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Earbuds and Project Q Announced Announced - 8 inch screen remote device

Draugoth

Gold Member

Take a sneak peek at new accessories revealed at today’s Showcase — the Project Q device for playing games installed on your PS5 and streamed over WiFi, plus our first official wireless earbuds offering lossless audio on PS5 and PC.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced a new PlayStation streaming portable device, ‘Project Q’.

Announced during a PlayStation Showcase event on Wednesday, Project Q is described as “a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game form your PS5 console using remote play over wi-fi”.

According to SIE, the device has an 8-inch 1080p HD screen and all the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.

Fw7AVJiaEAM4DV_

Fw7AXYRacAE8bd1

Fw7AbhlacAA5c_N

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

Do people really use Remote Play as much to get Sony to develop a dedicated device like this?

I love Remote Play but it works much better within the house. I’ve tried it by streaming from other places but is not as good.
I have the backbone and its awesome. I bet they have metrics around remote play and see a growth opp there

Fahdis

Sony is now appealing to a walled ecosystem like Apple. If you didn't notice, they don't want you streaming on Mobile. Ps Now will probably take precedence on that machine including remote play for those who have a PS5 and most of you will eat it up in the name of convenience.

Noxxera

Do people really use Remote Play as much to get Sony to develop a dedicated device like this?

I love Remote Play but it works much better within the house. I’ve tried it by streaming from other places but is not as good.

This device is precisely streaming in the house. I'm sure it will be very good for streaming with low latency. Whether it's a necessary product I don't hold a opinion but it's there for the niche market that wants it.

Once I saw that portable unit I thought Batman was going to come flying in!

So basically it is just a Backbone One with a larger permanent screen and DualSense controls...I think I'll pass...hopefully they don't price it more than $100 otherwise that thing is DOA

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
The ear buds might be ok actually after looking at them.

Instead of this I wish they did wireless/wired extender like how valvevdid for steam so I don’t need to buy two ps5 a

Banned
this legit has to be the dumbest device they could have made...

I can literally emulate the functionality of this thing on 3 different devices I already own, and their Remote Play isn't even remotely (hehehe) good enough for any game that needs fast response time.

this isn't like the Wii U gamepad that had less input lag than most TVs at the time, which was only possible because the GamePad and the Console were connected directly through an analog video stream using purpose build hardware specifically for that.
Similar to the tech used by those professional Drone Racing guys. only analog signals are lag free enough for those.

this thing will stream through wifi, so even if it will allow a direct connection (which I'm not sure it will), the video stream will still need to be encoded to a digital video format, then send to the device, which then has to decode and display it.

Last edited:

X-Wing

I could use this when the TV is busy granted the price will be acceptable. I usually use remote play to my PC but a handheld device would be better.
I also don't like to use my phone for this.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Once I saw that portable unit I thought Batman was going to come flying in!

So basically it is just a Backbone One with a larger permanent screen and DualSense controls...I think I'll pass...hopefully they don't price it more than $100 otherwise that thing is DOA
The POS Logitech equivalent for Xbox is £349 :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I will get Q if it's 200$. Not a dime more.
It's just a wide dualsense with a screen and bigger battery

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

lol.. I called this. Who was that person I was talking to about it again?

I saw this remote-play controller a mile away.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

SaintALia

That's the design they went with huh? A tablet that looks like it's in a controller grip...but then you have some sleek earbud design and case right next to it...man....

Which begs the question, couldn't they have just sold us a grip and launched an app for streaming on android and IOS, or is the dedicated hardware in this that good?

I look forward to the Digital Foundry video, and that screen doesn't look like an OLED...

Last edited:

Mephisto40

This is designed to only be used in your house where your ps5 is

this legit has to be the dumbest device they could have made...

I can literally emulate the functionality of this thing on 3 different devices I already own, and their Remote Play isn't even remotels (hehehe) good enough for any game that needs fast response time.

this isn't like the Wii U gamepad that had less input lag than most TVs at the time, which was only possible because the GamePad and the Console were connected directly through an analog video stream using purpose build hardware specifically for that.
Similar to the tech used by those professional Drone Racing guys. only analog signals are lag free enough for those.

this thing will stream through wifi, so even if it will allow a direct connection (which I'm not sure it will), the video stream will still need to be encoded to a digital video format, then send to the device, which then has to decode and display it.

I'm also wondering if it has to be on the same network as the PS5 to work as well, with my cell phone and my Backbone One I can use Remote Play when I am not even at home (works fairly well, just don't expect to play a good game a CoD on it)

POKEYCLYDE

Need a PS5, need a good internet connection because it's remote play. Chasing the Switch's success without realizing what makes the Switch desirable. This remote play device will probably be $200. Curious how much the ear buds will be, probably $150 I think.

Top Bottom